• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill arcade? Tekken 6 to be shown tomorrow?

Kuroyume

Banned
Chris_C said:
2w6beh5.jpg

2u90sj9.jpg
2n8pggo.jpg

:lol

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Mooreberg said:
This is the impression I'm starting to get. Outside of FFXIII and MGS4 (which probably have huge budgets) most Japanese developed games just aren't looking that good. Or maybe it's because the local market was overtaken by atrocious looking non-games. Who knows.

konami42.jpg

god almighty :lol

Wow......that pic is like......a joke right?..........right?!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
konami42.jpg

i dont get it i mean i say my prayers every night and im a good little boy and i do my homework and help my mommie and i volunteer every summer and i work with the poor and i really dont get it

i mean why

why god why

Joe Molotov

Y2Kevbug11 said:
konami42.jpg

i dont get it i mean i say my prayers every night and im a good little boy and i do my homework and help my mommie and i volunteer every summer and i work with the poor and i really dont get it

i mean why

why god why

Don't worry, I'm sure our American eyes will never be forced to behold the horror of this game in person.

If this gets ported to the Wii, I'll punch Konami in the nards.

hey you know, I just had a thought about Tekken 6; perhaps Namco is merely using the EE+GS (PS2 chipset) portion of the PS3 arcade board for Tekken 6, with a little help from RSX for resolution and stuff. that way it would be easy to convert it down to PS2 and even PSP.

I mean why release Tekken 6 on *just* PS3 which will have a userbase of around 10 million by the time it comes out, when they could have a userbase of 120M (PS2) + ~30M (PSP) + ~10M (PS3) for MASSIVE sales $$$$$$$$$$$ :D makes sense, no? Namco likes money, yeah?

2009 would be the time to release a Tekken 7 that really takes advantage of the strengths of PS3.

seriously, Tekken 6 does not even look like a very early/alpha PS3 game. it looks like something that could be done on System 256 or System Super 256.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Y2Kevbug11 said:
konami42.jpg

i mean why

why god why

"Because you touch yourself at night."

Sorry i had to drop the Family guy quote on ya!

TheIkariWarrior said:
hey you know, I just had a thought about Tekken 6; perhaps Namco is merely using the EE+GS (PS2 chipset) portion of the PS3 arcade board for Tekken 6, with a little help from RSX for resolution and stuff. that way it would be easy to convert it down to PS2 and even PSP.
sigh.jpg

I was 1/2 joking, 1/2 serious on that btw...

anyway

Tekken 6 Revealed
Namco debuts a new PS3 trailer and shares first details.
by Anoop Gantayat

February 16, 2007 - Shocker from the land of raw fish and tofu. Something big actually happened at one of those Japanese arcade shows where nothing big usually happens. How big? How about the proper debut of the sixth entry in a certain Namco fighting series?

That's right, Tekken 6 showed face at the AOU arcade expo in Japan today, ending a lengthy silence that followed the underwhelming trailer clip that introduced the game as a PlayStation 3 title back at last year's E3.

So is Tekken 6 a PlayStation 3 game, or an arcade game? The answer will likely be both! The game will debut sometime in 2007 as the first arcade game to use a new arcade board based off the PlayStation 3 hardware. News of a PS3-based arcade board is news in of itself, as it's the first time such a project has been mentioned. Presumably, ports to the PS3 itself will be simple, meaning Tekken 6 is as good as confirmed for home release.

The footage showed at AOU consisted of a trailer, followed by a brief interview with director Katsuhiro Hirada. Hirada was also director of Tekken 5, so this latest entry in the series appears to be in good hands.

Based on Hirada's comments during the interview, Team Tekken will be retaining for Tekken 6 the elements of Tekken 5 and Dark Resurrection that were received well by players. Hirada promised the greatest character count the series has ever seen, along with heavily customizable character costumes. He also made mention of greater interactivity in the stages.

Two new characters were introduced in the AOU trailer. Zafina is a female character whose moves Hirada likened to that of a spider. Leo is a German character whom Hirada expects beginners and experienced players alike to enjoy.

The E3 Tekken 6 teaser clip shocked many with how terrible it looked, especially compared to the pre-rendered teaser clip Namco had shown at the E3 before. The footage shown today, which we presume is represenative of how the final game will look, looks a lot better than the E3 clip, but doesn't stand up to Sega's Virtua Fighter 5 in terms of detail and lighting. The game does run in high definition, although we're not sure if that means 1080p or 720p.

But don't take our word for it. Namco has made the trailer available in streaming format at its website. Click here to start the Windows Media 9 stream. We've also uploaded our own version of the trailer, which we grabbed with the IGN spy cam off the show floor. The quality isn't the greatest, but you should get an idea of what the game will look like.

As to how it will play. Well, there is that little bonus footage at the end of the trailer showing one of the characters firing a gun. We're expecting a few surprises when Tekken 6 arrives in arcades later this year.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/765/765372p1.html

Hey guys, remember back in May of 2005 when we thought Tekken 6 would look like this?

tekken-ps3-20060117015053471.jpg

Target renders only bring disappointment, when will developers learn?

a Master Ninja said:
Hey guys, remember back in May of 2005 when we thought Tekken 6 would look like this?

tekken-ps3-20060117015053471.jpg

Target renders only bring disappointment, when will developers learn?

guys who way they know graphics say it would take a ton of Nvidia G80 / GeForce 8800 GTX's and CELL Processors to do this in realtime, because there is, according to one person, raytracing in there. dunno how true that is.

anyway, those graphics are what I expect from Xbox III and PS4.

videos
quicktime: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=5836&type=mov&pl=game
windows media: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=5836&type=wmv&pl=game

Jacobi

Banned
TheIkariWarrior said:
guys who way they know graphics say it would take a ton of Nvidia G80 / GeForce 8800 GTX's and CELL Processors to do this in realtime, because there is, according to one person, raytracing in there. dunno how true that is.

anyway, those graphics are what I expect from Xbox III and PS4.
fight night ? lolz

Jacobi said:
fight night ? lolz

I know, I know. I never said I agreed with them.

Fight Night is like a couple of *software* generations down from the E3 2005 Tekken CGI sequence. while I don't think all the image quality / post processing could be kept, that level of detail might be possible by 2010 on PS3. might.

Was that tekken cg even a "render"? i'm not going to be suprised if it ends up in the intro cg for the game at a later date.

I think it was just a hype cg video, or whatever companies do.

Bebpo

Banned
Jacobi said:
fight night ? lolz

I don't find anything technically impressive about having excellent facial textures. That's the only difference between FN faces and Tekken 6 faces. VF5 faces probably have more geometry than FN faces, but VF5 doesn't go for the photograph-type textures in FN and Def Jam. It's a stylistic difference, not a tech one.

Diablohead said:
Was that tekken cg even a "render"? i'm not going to be suprised if it ends up in the intro cg for the game at a later date.

I think it was just a hype cg video, or whatever companies do.

well it was a render aka pre-render aka pre-rendered CG sequence.

there are all kinds of 'levels' of pre-rendered, non-realtime CG. some of which are closer to realtime (i.e. PS2 Gran Turismo 3 intro sequence which use assets of the game but processed with extra anti-aliasing and some motion blurr) others of which are totally NOT based on anything realtime.

yeah that pre-rendered CG Tekken Jin sequence could very well end up as part of the CG intro to Tekken 6.

TheIkariWarrior said:
well it was a render aka pre-render aka pre-rendered CG sequence.

there are all kinds of 'levels' of pre-rendered, non-realtime CG. some of which are closer to realtime (i.e. PS2 Gran Turismo 3 intro sequence which use assets of the game but processed with extra anti-aliasing and some motion blurr) others of which are totally NOT based on anything realtime.

yeah that pre-rendered CG Tekken Jin sequence could very well end up as part of the CG intro to Tekken 6.
Sorry I ment target render, Im a bit pissed aka drunk right now :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Seriously... is no one going to say that SH could be fun? Loud soundtrack, crazy scares.... shooting. Why do we have to let principles get in the way of what might be good fun?

If it sucks, it sucks because it is an un-fun game, period.

That said I see how it could be a total bastardization and the first nail in SH's coffin. The graphics are ass.

EverSoTrendy said:
You would have to be a dumbass to believe that CG clip Namco showed at E32k5. I was screaming bullshit at the first frame.

I didn't believe it was realtime for a second. I had hoped that something reasonably close to that would be do-able sometime in PS3's lifetime.

Dali

Lot of graphics
whores
minded people in this place. I think it looks good enough. As long as it plays well and looks at least as good as it does now I'll be happy. It doesn't have to be cutting edge!! 20 shaders!! 52xAA!! bigillionxAF!! for me to enjoy it. I hope they do something new and interesting with the gameplay, yet still make it likeable and familiar (unlike Tekken 4). Also one of my favorite things about TTT was the inclusion of all the Tekken characters (in addition to the tag mechanic). If they add the tag to T6, then I could wait indefinitely for a TTT 2.

G-Fex

...But Silent Hill wasn't ever real action-like.

Sigh, but it looks entertaining for a bit, I don't know why but I'm dying to know the story to SH: The Arcade.

Hopefully Harry Mason and James Sunderland return to Silent Hill this time armed and ready to save people from SH. NO KEYS! NO PUZZLES! JUST SHOOTING!

G-Fex said:
Hopefully Harry Mason and James Sunderland return to Silent Hill this time armed and ready to save people from SH. NO KEYS! NO PUZZLES! JUST SHOOTING!

111805lumbergfn6.jpg

Yeah.... I'm gonna have to sort of... hope they both stay far away from this travesty. M'kay?

G-Fex said:

Yeah, no.

I hope to holy christ that this retarded stepchild of a side-project has nothing to do with any other Silent Hill title.

NinSoX said:
Not really seeing the jaggies, but I contribute to your words. WTF Namco?

Dali

Can't wait to see it. Hope we get some high res screens and maybe a clip of the gameplay *crosses fingers*.

Snaku

Banned

G-Fex

disappeared said:
Yeah, no.

I hope to holy christ that this retarded stepchild of a side-project has nothing to do with any other Silent Hill title.

That was a joke, you guys know that right?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Snaku said:
:lol Itagaki must be in tears with laughter at this point.

Yeah DOA 360, at first it looked like a small graphical update to the Xbox DOA games.
Then VF5, a arcade port with minor graphical upgrades over the original arcade VF4.
Now Tekken 6, looks worse then VF5 & DOA4.
That small graphical update in DOA4 isn't looking too small right now.

No hope at all for a ground up 3D fighter to take advantage of the hardware confirmed.

Mmmkay

TheIkariWarrior said:
don't worry guys, Tekken 6 is just using the PS2 portion of the PS3, that's it. just you wait :lol
I think I prefer it when you incoherently rant about render bandwidth.

NinSoX said:

OK, I totally take back what I said earlier in the thread about it looking "pretty decent". :|

Shinobi

Doom_Bringer said:
Dude I provided a gameplay link below the pictures WTF is wrong with you?? And MotorStorm actually got a boost in graphics, sense of speed, physics, frame rate and controls. Here are four or five lol emotion icons that will help me me the point across to you :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Read the full post before replying :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol Quit being a sour puss...it's a video game thread, not a discussion about your mother.

Your initial post provided nothing but pics, so that's what I was going on. Didn't have time to look at the videos since I had to head off to work. And as I said I barely paid any attention to Motorstorm last E3...mainly because the game just doesn't interest me, and all the pics were blurred to ****ing shit. But somehow I doubt the texture level was at N64 level...something tells me you forgot how ****ing atrocious that was.

Nothing about Motorstorm affects the Tekken 6 discussion because we have no idea how long Namco has worked on it. So until we do it's a moot point.

Mmmkay said:
:lol Just so we're clear on this...
textureblur.jpg

dark10x said:
Is that so? For months upon months they have taken heat for this. Everybody is repeatedly slamming them into the ground as they struggle in the marketplace. They have been cut NO slack. None. Not enough shit?! Don't make me laugh.

I think we all realize just how badly they f*cked up. It's time to let it go. They've had their teeth kicked in while the whole internet is shitting right down their throats.

Honestly, Sony oughta get roasted for the next five years for the following issues...

- Spring '06 worldwide launch

- Spring '06 Japan launch

- The most blatantly falsified gaming demos in the history of the industry (purported to be real time on the actual hardware no less)

- $600

- Bullshit about the Dual Shock missing the "Shock" because it interferes with "Tilt"

- A launch lineup that was ****ing SHIT

I'm not even gonna get into the issues with PSP (GT Mobile lolz).

So yeah, five years of scorn would just about make things square with me...mere months doesn't equal shit. Certain other companies have gotten kicked in the head for a ****ing decade with no let up, so I'm not about to tear up for Kutagari and co.

Dante said:
Yeah, I think if anybody called that in 2005 they'd have been laughed off the board.

Shit, they would've been banned from the board. :lol

TheIkariWarrior said:

Actually, it already is...pay close attention to the first 30 seconds of the trailer. Cracked me up to be honest, considering idiots actually thought that shit was gonna be how T6 looked. :lol

Dali said:
Lot of graphics
whores
minded people in this place. I think it looks good enough. As long as it plays well and looks at least as good as it does now I'll be happy. It doesn't have to be cutting edge!! 20 shaders!! 52xAA!! bigillionxAF!! for me to enjoy it. I hope they do something new and interesting with the gameplay, yet still make it likeable and familiar (unlike Tekken 4). Also one of my favorite things about TTT was the inclusion of all the Tekken characters (in addition to the tag mechanic). If they add the tag to T6, then I could wait indefinitely for a TTT 2.

Sorry, that doesn't cut it. A $600 game machine shouldn't be spitting out something that's merely "good enough". That's what the $250 Wii is for.

Ynos Yrros said:
Not really seeing the jaggies, but I contribute to your words. WTF Namco?

You've sure changed your tune. :lol

Snaku said:
:lol Itagaki must be in tears with laughter at this point.

BTW, just to pour more water on this notion that T6 will see a visual upgrade of mammoth proportions, take a gander at Shogmaster's E3 video from 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKTeRUCtO-M

It shows Chrome Hounds, VF5, Afterburner, HOTD4 and Sonic. The middle three were all shown as Lindbergh games, and visually didn't see any boost at all despite being a year away from release. So again, I don't know why people think Tekken 6 will buck the trend.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
gutter_trash said:
pop in VF4 (or VF4 Evo ) into your PS2.

then pop in VF5 (sometime next week) into your PS3

minor am not

Then pop in (um) the arcade version of VF4 with 5 times better texture/resolution & larger sized characters then the PS2 version.

Top Bottom