• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill arcade? Tekken 6 to be shown tomorrow?

Kabuki Waq said:
the CG? the CG was awesome. Insane sense of speed physics which the in game stuff does not even come close to.

He's pretty clearly talking about E3'06.

EDIT: That'll teach me to not refresh for an hour before replying.

In any case, if we can cut MGS4 slack for its placeholder animations. I'm sure we can be patient with T6.

Or at least wait until we get a high quality HD trailer.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
C'mon I don't lie about stuff..... lol...

GameFaqs is cool too, I don't post there much, but I'm sure my posts there had a lot more *meaning* than anything you've done doom_bringer. :p

Can't wait for more T6 stuff. ;)

Manp

dabookerman said:
Zafina
tk6_aou_03.jpg

=

bscap1153wa.jpg

you fail! and Re-l is hotter! :lol

:)

If this game (T6) is coming out this year. Those graphics aren't gonna change THAT much. There's not enough time. Is this an alpha build?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
ThatCrazyGuy said:
If this game (T6) is coming out this year. Those graphics aren't gonna change THAT much. There's not enough time. Is this an alpha build?
We have seen games go from shit to THE SHIT in less time, I don't see your point.

shantyman said:
Name some cases. I don't want a game like DNF or some other vaporware game listed either. I want a game that is shown initially and released within the calendar year (like T6 will be).

It is very rare, once a game is shown "for real", meaning a non CG or rushed demo to show off.
I dunno, uhh.. motorstorm (anybody who has followed the progress of the game saw the crazy improvement from e3 to tgs/gamersday), GTHD Concept (huge improvements in the demo in like 3 months time), fatal inertia (check first screens compared to newest), genji 2, untold legends (still ugly in the end, but it was a far cry from box guy), Madden (from e3 ps3/360 demos to final game), God of war 2 (pegasus in e3 trailer to final ingame pegasus), shadowrun, forza 2.

You think the final game of Halo 3 will look like the open beta? I highly doubt it.

TheIkariWarrior said:
I was hoping that PS3 Tekken 6 would at least rival the CG intro used in Tekken 4.

tekken4_0327_88.jpg

tekken4_0327_89.jpg

that's wasn't too much to expect, was it? :/
Models wise/environments, I don't see that out of the question (of course not CG polycounts, but it should look close if bryan fury is any idea of whats to come). Though textures and lighting might be a bit difficult...

TheIkariWarrior said:
I was hoping that PS3 Tekken 6 would at least rival the CG intro used in Tekken 4.

tekken4_0327_88.jpg

tekken4_0327_89.jpg

that's wasn't too much to expect, was it? :/

If they implemented motion blur, expect thousands of hardcore screaming fans ready to tear somebody a new one. Isn't visibility a key feature for serious fighters?

Why the hell does Leo look so... female? This is one of those cases where you can't tell what gender it is except the name is obviously male... I think?

Bad_Boy said:
Models wise/environments, I don't see that out of the question (of course not CG polycounts, but it should look close if bryan fury is any idea of whats to come). Though textures and lighting might be a bit difficult...

isn't that kind of a contradiction? first you're saying models/environments; yes,
but then you're saying, CG polycounts: no

doesn't make sense to me.

Keesie said:
who says it won't exceed that CG in tekken 4? it's still early in development.

the in-game graphics we saw in the trailer are not going to be drastically changed. improved/optimized, yeah, but not upto CG-ish levels.

you know though, with the lack of any announcement of a new arcade board, you know a PLAYSTATION3-based arcade board, I would not be shocked if Tekken 6 is running on their System 256 board used for T5 and T5: DR, or System Super 256 (still PS2-based) used for Time Crisis 4.

I honestly don't see anything really that indicates PS3-visuals or animation. it all looks very....souped-up-PS2-ish to me.

I don't see shaders. I don't see super high-polygon models. it's way below VF5 level.

anyone else agree?

TheIkariWarrior said:
the in-game graphics we saw in the trailer are not going to be drastically changed. improved/optimized, yeah, but not upto CG-ish levels.

you know though, with the lack of any announcement of a new arcade board, you know a PLAYSTATION3-based arcade board, I would not be shocked if Tekken 6 is running on their
System 256 board used for T5 and T5: DR, or System Super 256 (still PS2-based) used for Time Crisis 4.

I honestly don't see anything really that indicates PS3-visuals or animation. it all looks very....souped-up-PS2-ish to me.

I don't see shaders. I don't see super high-polygon models. it's way below VF5 level.

anyone else agree?

i agree, but what strikes me the most (besides the art direction) is the lighting.

Call me crazy, but I think that T5 and even Soul Calibur 3 has better lighting then what we saw in this T6 trailer

or maybe they did a bad choice of over-showing the great city with tanks with flat lighting

Steroyd

Bad_Boy said:
I meant THE SHIT as a good thing. Ya know... "this game is shit :(" vs "this game is the shit :)"

:/

I'm assuming your American?
Very backwards with stuff like "I couldn't care less". @_@
Then again Britain doesn't win any awards for backwards meaning forwards phrases either.

Aaaanyhoo they neeeeed to bring back Gon and DR Bonvonovitch (SP!?!) I had such fun times playing as them (got on me mates tits when i went Gon all the time :lol), when i first saw one of Zafira's attacks she reminded me of the Dr B in a way.

MarkMan said:
The shotgun move Bryan has seems to be a move in the game, not a win pose or anything like that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mby6w5qCKVk

Say wha?
5dunce.gif

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
TheIkariWarrior said:
isn't that kind of a contradiction? first you're saying models/environments; yes,
but then you're saying, CG polycounts: no

doesn't make sense to me.
I mean fidelity of it. Obviously the models wont be 80k polys like the CG models (just taking a guess). But with normal mapping and relatively high polycounts (as far as real time games go), it should look similar.

See this thread for an example.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=929983&postcount=1

Steroyd said:
I'm assuming your American?
Very backwards with stuff like "I couldn't care less". @_@
Then again Britain doesn't win any awards for backwards meaning forwards phrases either.

Aaaanyhoo they neeeeed to bring back Gon and DR Bonvonovitch (SP!?!) I had such fun times playing as them (got on me mates tits when i went Gon all the time :lol), when i first saw one of Zafira's attacks she reminded me of the Dr B in a way.
American I am. It's just a figure of speech I suppose. :/

MarkMan said:
The shotgun move Bryan has seems to be a move in the game, not a win pose or anything like that...

:( It seems to have some range on it too. I could see if it was like Jack's rocket punch, but damn, he hit him from like 10 feet away. That could get kinda annoying. :/

Dante

jett said:
A certain fanboy faction seems to think otherwise.

sooooo lemme get this straight, with Halo we can't judge on alpha build because they are going to completly overhaul all the graphics.

But T6 where we've seen 4 fighters and 2 whole stages we can assume nothing is going to improve, and it's not early?

Just want to make sure I'm clear on this :)

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
TheIkariWarrior said:

People think I'm nuts for saying the same thing.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Dante said:
sooooo lemme get this straight, with Halo we can't judge on alpha build because they are going to completly overhaul all the graphics.

But T6 where we've seen 4 fighters and 2 whole stages we can assume nothing is going to improve, and it's not early?

Remember, my argument is regarding something very specific- a trailer or footage made available to the press or released officially. The Halo 3 stuff was not meant for public consumption.

I would not expect the open Beta of Halo 3 to look sifnificantly different in terms of tech than the final version will. Another wrinkle is the beta will be mutiplayer, which will likely have some sort of graphical downgrade from single player.

Kittonwy

Banned
reminder said:
More Silent Hill Arcade

konami38.jpg

konami42.jpg

Are they going to try to milk the series to death? It's not like it's even much of a game franchise anymore, I wonder how viable the series will be after this.
Indifferent2.gif

gutter_trash said:
i agree, but what strikes me the most (besides the art direction) is the lighting.

Call me crazy, but I think that T5 and even Soul Calibur 3 has better lighting then what we saw in this T6 trailer

or maybe they did a bad choice of over-showing the great city with tanks with flat lighting

I agree, Namco is very good with lighting. Ace Combat 5 on PS2 has extremely good lighting, as does Tekken 5 (haven't seen much of Soul Caliber 3 but I don't doubt it)...... but perhaps the lighting in Tekken 6 could easily have been done with the modest boost in hardware that System Super 256 provides combined with better programming, the latest refinement of programming on PS2-based architecture.

when a new Namco game comes out, there is usually some annoucement of a new arcade board, especially if it's a new-generation arcade board. ala System 246 back in 2000, and Tekken 4 on System 246 in 2001.

then again, I could be dead wrong. It could be that Tekken 6 runs on a PS3-based board, and Namco is just massively under-utilizing it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
shantyman said:
People think I'm nuts for saying the same thing.
I didnt say they would reach those CG levels. But as good as I think it looks now, I don't expect the final game to look like what we are seeing though.

shantyman said:
Remember, my argument is regarding something very specific- a trailer or footage made available to the press or released officially. The Halo 3 stuff was not meant for public consumption.

I would not expect the open Beta of Halo 3 to look sifnificantly different in terms of tech than the final version will. Another wrinkle is the beta will be mutiplayer, which will likely have some sort of graphical downgrade from single player.
Then whats the difference between the Halo PR shots released and these shots of Tekken released? They are both for the public to see.

Steroyd

Kittonwy said:
Are they going to try to milk the series to death? It's not like it's even much of a game franchise anymore, I wonder how viable the series will be after this.
Indifferent2.gif

Looking at this it will most likely be what Resident Evil was on the PS2, churn out alot of spin-off cack and then at the end of it all redeem themselves and breathe new life into the series somehow after 5 years of crap.

jett

D-Member
Dante said:

Hey, at least nobody is getting banned in this thread over it!

You kind of missed the point. There will probably be improvements, but I doubt they will be massive.

MarkMan said:

I don't like the shotgun at all. I was hoping that Namco would be a little more serious with the Fiighter essence of fighting games. But nah, they really love cheese.

and what is the about Paul being dead and getting replaced by his Daughter (Leo)? who killed Paul anyway? the Aliens? Kuma? Law's cooking? what's up with the need to kill off characters and replace them with younger ofsprings with the same moves?

why not keep the old characters and just make fresh new characters in addition instead of this family business non-sense

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Bad_Boy said:
I didnt say they would reach those CG levels. But as good as I think it looks now, I don't expect the final game to look like what we are seeing though.

Then whats the difference between the Halo PR shots released and these shots of Tekken released? They are both for the public to see.

What Halo 3 PR shots are you talking about?

Hunter D

Dante said:

Do you really work on games? For a guy who works in the industry you seem to know nothing about it.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
dark10x said:
The shots available in various print magazines, most likely.

Ah, out of sight, out of mind. I don't read game magazine so they flew under my radar.

Again, I'm not saying there are excpetions to "my" rule, BUT I would not expect a massive visual overhaul for Tekken 6.

Dante

jett said:
Hey, at least nobody is getting banned in this thread over it!

You kind of missed the point. There will probably be improvements, but I doubt they will be massive.

Sorry I was just using your post to springboard my frustration. :)

The fact that so few characters and stages were shown is kinda telling to me where they are at in the project.

That and the fact that a portion of the video showed them "working" on it leads me to beleive it's pretty early.

Do you really work on games? For a guy who works in the industry you seem to know nothing about it.

Edumacate me on the parts I don't know please.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
shantyman said:
Ah, out of sight, out of mind. I don't read game magazine so they flew under my radar.

Again, I'm not saying there are excpetions to "my" rule, BUT I would not expect a massive visual overhaul for Tekken 6.
Obviously there are exceptions to your rule if one game can improve but another can't. :lol
But considering its namco and not bungie, I'll give you a break. ;)

Mmmkay said:
Also, some 720p sized screenshots.
could use some AA. :/ Whats up with Leo's eyes?

jett

D-Member
Wow at those HD shots. The wario kind of wow. The current state of the game is made up of indefensible ballz.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think so at all. I think the environments are poly-starved and the entire game looks sterile.

The floor texture for that grass scene is flat. Tekken Tag had ****ing grass, Jesus.

Vrolokus

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks it looks pretty good? I mean, it already looks about on par with the other next-gen fighters we've seen (VF5 and DOA4). given that it's probably still a ways out, I'm sure it will look fine.

That being said, though, I think assuming/expecting Tekken 6 was going to look like Tekken 4's CG (not to mention the CG teaser) is pretty unreasonable.

Dante

Vrolokus said:
Am I the only one who thinks it looks pretty good? I mean, it already looks about on par with the other next-gen fighters we've seen (VF5 and DOA4). given that it's probably still a ways out, I'm sure it will look fine.

That being said, though, I think assuming/expecting Tekken 6 was going to look like Tekken 4's CG (not to mention the CG teaser) is pretty unreasonable.

I think the problem is Next Gen fighters have been somewhat of a dissapointment so far. I mean if you asked me prior to this gen what genre will look the most jaw dropping I'd have said fighting games, and honestly the big 3, while competant have been somewhat disspointing thus far graphically. :(

Hunter D

DOA4 and VF 5>T6 graphically. What the hell is wrong with namco.

Dante, I don't work in the industry. It just seems to me that you also don't work in it. Couple of times I've seen you ask people questions about simple things that I would think devs would know.

Top Bottom