• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Siliconera: NieR: Automata Has An Autopilot Feature That Does The Fighting For You

Lakitu

st5fu
I know this is slightly unrelated but I had to ask. I know that original Nier is loved on here and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it an adventure/rpg before anything else?

This one seems to be primarily focused on combat, are fans alright with that?

First time seeing this. Normally don't care for beat em ups, but this looks really fluid. Autopilot feature has me a bit worried, but I'll keep my eye on it.

Glass Rebel

They should delay FFXV for another two years to do this.

Might as well at this point.

I know this is slightly unrelated but I had to ask. I know that original Nier is loved on here and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it an adventure/rpg before anything else?

The original had a ton of combat, Automata just has better combat.

Zukuu

Banned

They promised a deep RPG system, but like it has already been brought up, they have yet to show much of it.

Razmos

Heck, Bayo 2 and the WiiU remaster of Bayo 1 even had an optional touchscreen mode where you could play the entire game with the stylus. Features such as this earned Bayo 2 the "Most Accessible Mainstream Game of the Year Award" from the AbleGamers charity:

It's something I never thought we'd see in games of this sort. Just think about how amazing it is: A game like Bayonetta, playable by everyone. Nearly anyone can partake in its exhilarating thrills on some level, regardless of skill or physical ability. This simple option — which again, is just an option — makes more people happy.
I totally got a little emotional reading that I'm not gonna lie. I can't imagine being physically unable to game, what a horrible thought, I'm so glad that options like this exist and I wish they would be implemented more.

Saito, the games producer, has said that the game is roughly 60% a RPG and 40% an action game. That seems a little more than the original game but I'm sure that'll be fine now that the combat looks like it'll be fun the whole way through. I think they're not showing much RPG elements because of spoilers and that the combat is new.

Giever

If anything, including an option like this means that they don't have to worry about being as inclusive with the regular difficulty, since people who have trouble have something they can fall back on. That's probably why you see this stuff in Platinum games; they want to make an uncompromised version of the game they have in mind, and including options like this allow them to do so without the fear of losing some 'casuals' that might otherwise be interested.

Their games would probably be simpler and easier if they had to balance the default experience around a mainstream audience.

Extra Credit did an episode before about game difficulty they mentioned a study/survey that shows players are more likely to quit a game before they would lower the difficulty.

If true I do wonder who is this for.

Hypron

Extra Credit did an episode before about game difficulty they mentioned a study/survey that shows players are more likely to quit a game before they would lower the difficulty.

It's for disabled people, people that are really bad at video games, and people would prefer to turn down the difficulty rather than to quit a game.

Even if people are more likely to quit a game than to lower the difficulty, you're still doing yourself a disservice if you don't cater to the people that do lower the difficulty. Let's say it's a 60% 40% split for example. You don't just ignore 40% of these people because they're in the minority.

aravuus

For a minority that wants or even needs it.

It's for disabled people, people that are really bad at video games, and people would prefer to turn down the difficulty rather than to quit a game.

Even if people are more likely to quit a game than to lower the difficulty, you're still doing yourself a disservice if you don't cater to the people that do lower the difficulty. Let's say it's a 60% 40% split for example. You don't just ignore 40% of these people because they're in the minority.

For a minority that wants or even needs it.

For the record Plantium can do this if they want, no skin off my back but I'm just intrigued by the existence of a fanbase of people who like action games but are bad at it enough to want to have the game play out by itself but still willing to spend money at the game.

If there's a sizable record of people using this feature in bayo 2 then fair play I guess. Learn something new today.

Christhor

YES! I'll probably play it myself anyway, but if this game is like MGR the non-boss enemies will be trash. This might yet be a decent game.

Harmen

I remember that video where Naughty Dog told how they made UC4 accessible for handicapped people, which is great. I image these modes allow a group of people incapable of playing most action titles to enjoy them. If they have this mode lying around for testing, they might as well add it so more people can enjoy the ride.

Where was all the concern about Bayonetta's accessibility options? The very devs you are worrying about have maintained some of strongest dedication to mechanics heavy games despite featuring these sort of options for years.

Indeed, this is why this particular tempest in a tea kettle is particularly baffling.

If there's one developer everyone calls out for deep action gameplay it's Platinum.

And the easy mode is doubly justified in making a sequel to a story-heavy game that pulled people in with everything but action combat.

NIN90

Ya'll pseudo hardliners showed you have no idea about the genre. Easy/Automatic modes have been a part of the genre since its inception with DMC1.

True Fire

On the contrary, will Platinum fans be able to swallow Yoko's sadistic storytelling and gameplay/story integration?

Christhor

Not until they implement an actual fucking lock-on system. The lack of it was absurd in NieR.

What? The areas where always small enough where a lock on system would have been redundant. That's the weirdest complaint I've ever heard in regards to Nier's combat.

I'm surprised people are surprised, similar modes have been present since Bayo1, and one of things Minami said that PG strives for, is to make games enjoyable to all.

I feel is a lofty objectives, and sonetjibg never hampered past PG games and no reason to happen now.

Ubernube

I'm still surprised to this day how Nier, which had some of the most mediocre "just functional" combat mechanics for an open-worldish styled game (and mediocre, "just functional" combat mechanics are pretty much the norm for these style of games these days), is getting a sequel that'll likely have the best combat mechanics for an open world styled game. Letting platinum get involved was pretty fucking genius on their part.

I wish I could get this for deadly premonitions boring ass combat sections.

Someone out there might feel the sane way about this game's combat.

Hektor

They said right shortly after it was announced that the game will feature a very easy mode so even people who aren't good at action games can enjoy it and don't have to miss out, since the first game wasnt a challenging action game either.

I fail to see a reason to be surprised.

jimboton

They promised a deep RPG system, but like it has already been brought up, they have yet to show much of it.
I doubt it will be very deep since Square Enix wants 'everyone, including novice players, to enjoy it'. Everything in the game should be easy enough to play on auto-pilot, not just combat. So probably no exploration, puzzle solving or deep rpg systems of any sort.

Glass Rebel

Not sure where the "deep" RPG system came from. Nothing in NieR was particularly deep except for Taro's reach into your chest to tear your heart out.

Out of context much?

clarified even more later:

So yes, I stand by that. An auto-play feature is the wrong way of handling it. Having something like auto-combo + enemies have less health / do less damage etc at least keeps the integral part of a game intact. Playing it. Overcoming challenges (even if they are trivial).

Isn't it (and hasn't it always been) "auto-combo" mode? Games like these have had this since DMC1.

Sesha

Besides that, less than half of all players don't even finish a game. We can't skip certan features even if some or even most players aren't likely to use it.

It's for people who are likely to use such a feature right off the bat.

Where was all the concern about Bayonetta's accessibility options? The very devs you are worrying about have maintained some of strongest dedication to mechanics heavy games despite featuring these sort of options for years.

Everyone was too busy making "lol I can masturbate while playing" jokes to notice.

I think it's this weird pride thing. Like even competitive fighting games have implemented these automatic modes that a lot of people probably in this thread could use to mitigate some of the "learning combos" barrier that keeps them from enjoying them.

but there seems to be this weird stigma of shame in using those features. Even in games where one should expect a beginner to have no ego in.

GutsOfThor

Great to hear! I enjoyed the first game immensely not because of the combat but because of the story and setting. The quicker I can get past the combat sections in this game the better. I only wish they could add in a feature to bypass the combat sections completely.

Zolo

This is why I generally pick higher difficulties. Normal difficulty's generally made easy, so as to make sure the regular user won't quit.

an optional auto combo mode that's been a staple of character action games for 15 years and I've never touched and has no effect on anybody who doesn't want it

ok

Top Bottom