• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Siliconera: NieR: Automata Has An Autopilot Feature That Does The Fighting For You

aravuus

This is the end result. First games get easier and easier each generation. Now they're playing themselves. Then every game will have an invincibility mode. Then it'll just be "Hit start", "Win."

At least my blind sister will be able to beat all of those great games now.

Honestly can't tell if you're being facetious or not because this is such an absurd thing to believe

Neiteio

How does text-dungeon, arpg, shmupp, zelda dungeon, resident evil mansion, Diablo-hack-and-slay passage, GOTG OST, incredible deep characters, most immersive 4th wall breaking ever in a game and the one of the biggest roller-coaster of emotions a game has ever delivered sound to you?

Get the game and play it. NOW.
Well, it sounds good on paper, but others here were saying it's a bore in execution. So I don't know what to believe! I just know from the little I've seen that it has amazing music and a horribly depressing story.

This is the end result. First games get easier and easier each generation. Now they're playing themselves. Then every game will have an invincibility mode. Then it'll just be "Hit start", "Win."

At least my blind sister will be able to beat all of those great games now.

Your antics are...amusing.

Well, it sounds good on paper, but others here were saying it's a bore in execution. So I don't know what to believe! I just know from the little I've seen that it has amazing music and a horribly depressing story.

It's actually both heart warming and tragic. The bosses and variety are pretty good overall, just look up a guide to get all the weapons and don't grind them up for the weapon stories, just look them up online. Also feel free to play around with your magic, it makes the game much more fun than just melee all day.

I'm also quite fond of the cutscene cinematography in Nier. It's got quite a number of great shots.

Zukuu

Banned
The actual combat is only "serviceable", some fetch side quests are a chore (but can be safely ignored) and the graphic is pretty fugly. Those are about the only negative things about NieR.

I knew nothing about the game and only bought it when it was released because of a severe lack of JRPGs at the time and holy shit was I in a for a ride. Who could have known that it was to become my shared number #1 game of all time.

I don't know a single person who has finished the game and didn't like / love it. It has a dedicated, very vocal fanbase for a reason.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This kind of stuff is just depressing. Are we beyond easy modes now? We're okay with games literally playing themselves?

Do we need to be babied this fucking hard?

Do we really, seriously believe that people will suddenly be interested in playing this if only they had the option to... not play it?

It's a Let's Play with a 60 dollar price tag.
"Oh I can buy this game and not play it, totally getting it now!" - I seriously doubt that'll generate any extra sales whatsoever. Either you are interested in the game or not. Being able to watch it play itself won't tip any scales imo. Like I said, if you plan on it from the very start, you might just as well watch a let's play.
Agreed.

lol

Battlechili

Banned
Based on pictures like these, I'm almost certain that there's at least a rest area or something in the game. These are pictures of "The Bunker" and "The Resistance Camp". Seem city-like, albeit smaller.
NieR-Automata-9-15-2016-11.jpg
NieR-Automata-9-15-2016-12.jpg

I don't see any reason to not expect a large semi-open world to explore with town-like entities in it.

wmlk

Nier is worth playing for the incredibly well done dynamic music alone. The vocals coming in to a crescendo in Shadowlord's Castle theme during a text adventure alone is something that's hard to replicate in another video game.

The music is stunning on its own, and then seeing how layered it is...just too damn good.

There's a side quest in the game that has absolutely no reward that will help you in game. No money, weapon, spell or whatever. Nier isn't about any of that anyway. What you're rewarded with is a beautiful song by the two twins in your home town. This is the only time you ever get to hear this song in the game. It's amazing. That's what Nier represents to me. Just surprises you in the best of ways.

Battlechili

Banned
Nier is my 2nd favorite game, behind only Solatorobo.
The only real flaw Nier has is its combat. Everything else is amazing. Though I don't really get the complaints about the gameplay; its essentially a 3D Zelda game gameplay wise. The combat mechanics aren't as deep as Zelda's and it lacks proper balancing (playing on easy is too easy and playing on hard is mind-numbingly boring/tedious and once you get the spear there's no reason to use any other weapon), but it plays very similarly and it makes up for its faults with its magic system, as most of the magic attacks available to you are genuinely useful and unique, helping to add the needed variety to the combat.
Are there more screens of stuff like that? Is there video?
All the screens I'm getting are coming from here:
http://nichegamer.com/2016/09/15/emil-devola-popola-more-confirmed-for-nier-automata-new-trailer/
There's one other screen that shows what looks like a more scifi-like non-combat area with NPCs sitting around. But that's about it.
There's no footage of any of this, unfortunately. Though to go back a bit on the open-world thing, there IS footage of a large open desert environment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppk94cpSFng

sora87

Why does this bother people? The immature elitism is astounding.

It is quite funny. People seem to detest the thought of someone else having fun with a game on easy mode. I'm not sure why, they can play it on the hardest difficulty and never worry themselves with how others are enjoying it.

They have a difficulty mode and this helps players who struggle so really can't complain. Won't use it myself but it's good for the original Nier fans who aren't fans of the action genre.

duckroll

All the screens I'm getting are coming from here:
http://nichegamer.com/2016/09/15/emil-devola-popola-more-confirmed-for-nier-automata-new-trailer/
There's one other screen that shows what looks like a more scifi-like non-combat area with NPCs sitting around. But that's about it.
There's no footage of any of this, unfortunately. Though to go back a bit on the open-world thing, there IS footage of a large open desert environment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppk94cpSFng

Oh, it was part of the TGS press package it seems. I tracked down other sources with more details: http://www.4gamer.net/games/306/G030635/20160915006/

Aside from details on all the newly revealed characters, they also detail the Bunker and Resistance Camp. There are more screens there, and there seems that exploration in the Bunker is partly side scrolling too. It also mentions that you can get sub-quests at the Resistance Camp, and there are menu screens of the weapon shop interface. Looks like weapons have levels too.

Battlechili

Banned
Oh, it was part of the TGS press package it seems. I tracked down other sources with more details: http://www.4gamer.net/games/306/G030635/20160915006/

Aside from details on all the newly revealed characters, they also detail the Bunker and Resistance Camp. There are more screens there, and there seems that exploration in the Bunker is partly side scrolling too. It also mentions that you can get sub-quests at the Resistance Camp, and there are menu screens of the weapon shop interface. Looks like weapons have levels too.
OH, I missed those! Cool!
The side-scrolling inside of buildings was in the original Nier. You couldn't run and could only walk. It looks like they changed that. The rooms seem to be bigger too.

The menus look kinda simple, and the way its buttons are and color scheme make it look sort of like the menu from MGS3.

Hypron

It is quite funny. People seem to detest the thought of someone else having fun with a game on easy mode. I'm not sure why, they can play it on the hardest difficulty and never worry themselves with how others are enjoying it.

Yeah. I mean, the game's already got difficulty modes, so this will change absolutely nothing for these people. Instead of choosing between
Very easy
Easy
Normal
Hard
Very hard
Prepare to die

You choose between
Very easy auto
Very easy
Easy
Normal
Hard
Very hard
Prepare to die

Wow, such a difference...

Lothar

Banned
Honestly can't tell if you're being facetious or not because this is such an absurd thing to believe

No, I'm not seriously saying games will have "Push start", "Win." I'm exaggerating for humor like the gif. I do worry that autopilots and invincibility modes could catch on, which could lead to games being even more about story and less game. There was one thread a week ago about someone who values game mechanics most out of everything feeling like the industry has passed him by. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279480 This is another step in the direction that poster is talking about. How far will the trend go? It's about more than having more options.

Hypron

No, I'm not seriously saying games will have "Push start", "Win." I'm exaggerating for humor like the gif. I do worry that autopilots and invincibility modes could catch on, which could lead to games being even more about story and less game. There was one thread a week ago about someone who values game mechanics most out of everything feeling like the industry has passed him by. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279480 This is another step in the direction that poster is talking about. How far will the trend go? It's about more than having more options.

DMC4 already had an auto mode where you just needed to bash random buttons back in 2008 (and I'm sure you can find older examples), this isn't anything new. It's an option in every P* game yet they still are challenging. I really don't see the issue.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yep, this.

Corpekata

Banned
Where was all the concern about Bayonetta's accessibility options? The very devs you are worrying about have maintained some of strongest dedication to mechanics heavy games despite featuring these sort of options for years.

Frimaire

This actually makes more sense than the auto combo/accessibility modes in Bayo1/2 (not that I'm against those, either).
Story is like one of Nier's main draws, while I would argue Bayo is much more gameplay-centric...

Diffense

This sounds bad.
Is it a game or movie?
People who'd rather watch a movie should do that.
There will be tons of LPs on youtube/twitch too...for free.

duckroll

Just checked out the Famitsu magazine article covering the TGS stuff. There are some more screens and info which isn't in the online stuff. Looks like the main form of customization for NieR Automata is weapon + pod. The weapons being melee stuff you equip on the character, and the pod being the robot assistant that follows you around and provides range attacks. In item stores you can buy/sell items, do crafting, and upgrade your pod. Upgrading the pod will also require materials dropped by monsters.

The black and white home base Bunker is the orbital satellite HQ for the special unit the characters are part of. That's where they do all their recon and resupply work.

Where was all the concern about Bayonetta's accessibility options? The very devs you are worrying about have maintained some of strongest dedication to mechanics heavy games despite featuring these sort of options for years.

You can't blame them. They're obviously very concerned because while Bayonetta was a mainstream game for a wide demographic which certainly didn't emphasis player skill or challenge, NieR is a franchise well known for its deep combat alone. It is very unlikely that there are NieR fans who value the story, setting, and wackiness of the content and who might not care for challenging combat mechanics.

Oh wait...

aravuus

There's nothing here that would indicate that the existence of Automata's auto-pilot mode would be a step in this direction, though. In this case, it literally is just one option more for the player. This is what Platinum games do and have done for a while now, do you think they've been skimping on game mechanics, difficulty or depth with their games due to having an optional auto-pilot mode?

e: auto-pilot mode that folks are most likely fundamentally misunderstanding, like glitter and gold mentioned earlier

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I don't have a philosophy of videogames. I do believe that games built around challenge should not be dumbed down. If that makes it inaccessible to some people because they are poor players or disabled then there are literally thousands of other games they can play. Obviously NieR Automata doesn't fit this criteria, but Souls games do.
Spoken like a true elitest asshat.

You're telling people that they should be excluded from certain games because of disability because you want "your games" not to be dumbed down.

That is literally sickening. I hope you never experience any life changing events that cause you to require the very assistance you want to deprive people of.

Disclosure: My partner is profoundly deaf and has campaigned to get better subtitle provisions on Steam in the past.

ShinMaruku

I think people are misunderstanding what this actually does.

These modes in PG games perform basic freeform combos automatically. I.E combos that make use of mechanics and concepts that people that don't play action games may be unfamiliar with.

It's not so much "the game plays itself" as its the game doing things 80% of the playerbase doesn't know how to do on their own....automatically. It's a good way for people to see what's possible in the combat system first hand without outside resources, or just spice up a casual playthrough with more interesting combinations than ground PPP and KKK chains.

Also given how they structure the game I'm sure some endings will be left out of the gateway mode.

Exentryk

Kinda odd that this game is coming out in 5 months and they're still only showing off combat footage. Is this still open world like NieR was? Are there towns and cities? Is it stage based or do you get quests from people? Is there exp? Is there a skill system? Crafting? Crops growing? Fishing? Are there text adventures? Weapon stories?

Open world with areas unlocking as you progress, IIRC. There are resistance camps where you can get quests from. There is also the Bunker (space satellite) which will probably act like the main hub. Yes, there is exp, and the devs said abilities will unlock as you progress the story/level up. No idea on crafting/crops/fishing. We've seen side views, top down shooting, side view zoomed out shooting, but not text adventures. There will be weapon stories.

All the gameplay for this game so far can be seen here (an hour long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNc4RPKLIVA

Looks like the main form of customization for NieR Automata is weapon + pod. [...] In item stores you can buy/sell items, do crafting, and upgrade your pod. Upgrading the pod will also require materials dropped by monsters.

The black and white home base Bunker is the orbital satellite HQ for the special unit the characters are part of. That's where they do all their recon and resupply work.

Thanks for translating.

Zukuu

Banned
One side: "I don't like thing, but I don't say it shouldn't be in the game"
Other side:
Spoken like a true elitest asshat.
So I'm gonna be all up your dumb ass face Ok?
Fuck the cripples amirite

+a magnitude of passive aggressive straw man circlejerk like this
You should chastise her immediately for tainting the integrity of P4A. If IGN finds out, I can see them lowering their score from 9.0 to 8.9. If this happens any more, it might even transform into a bad game.

Stay classy guys.

duckroll

Also given how they structure the game I'm sure some endings will be left out of the gateway mode.

I doubt so. The director is very clear that he wants the Auto made as a means for players who want to enjoy the story to not feel left out if they cannot play action games well. The reason there is more emphasis on action mechanics this time round is because Platinum well known as a good action game developer so they want to take advantage of that, but they also want to cater to NieR fans. Locking out story elements is probably not something he wants to do.

It's worth noting that the Auto Mode sounds more interesting than a single switch autogame. There are sub-options which allow the player to turn on and off auto settings for melee, range, and dodge individually. It seems like a pretty good compromise for someone who might want to partake in some parts of the action but not others.

Open world with areas unlocking as you progress, IIRC. There are resistance camps where you can get quests from. There is also the Bunker (space satellite) which will probably act like the main hub. Yes, there is exp, and the devs said abilities will unlock as you progress the story/level up. No idea on crafting/crops/fishing. We've seen side views, top down shooting, side view zoomed out shooting, but not text adventures. There will be weapon stories.

All the gameplay for this game so far can be seen here (an hour long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNc4RPKLIVA

Wow, I haven't seen the video in the middle of that at all. They actually show off the entire Resistance Camp area, with sidescrolling parts, and seamless transitions to full 3D parts. The area outside where you jump around and climb on buildings looks great too. Mmmm.

Based on pictures like these, I'm almost certain that there's at least a rest area or something in the game. These are pictures of "The Bunker" and "The Resistance Camp". Seem city-like, albeit smaller.
NieR-Automata-9-15-2016-11.jpg
NieR-Automata-9-15-2016-12.jpg

I don't see any reason to not expect a large semi-open world to explore with town-like entities in it.

First time I have seen any photos like this.

sonicmj1

Yep, this.

As others have pointed out many times already in this thread, Platinum first began doing this with Bayonetta, their critically-acclaimed gameplay-first action beat-em-up extravaganza. They iterated on it in Bayonetta 2, which maintained the original's dedication to tight, satisfying combat mechanics.

I haven't heard anyone say that these accessibility options harmed the experience. They're only accessible on easy mode and can be toggled on and off. People who want to master the mechanics will play on higher difficulties and won't even know they're there, and people who need them can use them and feel good watching their character exhibit the dynamic combos that they might otherwise never see. The auto-play mechanics in Bayonetta were undoubtedly a win-win for each kind of player.

I don't think they're necessarily appropriate for every kind of experience (particularly games that want to create feelings of helplessness or fear), but I'd think these auto-play mechanics can actually help the design of mechanically-focused games that want to reach a wider audience. Instead of worrying that a challenging section will be too difficult for certain players, they can focus on the people who want challenge, confident that those who don't have an easy means of skirting it. Everyone can get what they want.

Dahbomb

Automatic mode has been in this sub genre of games since Devil May Cry 1 and have been in the series throughout.

latest

This argument dates back to 2001. Though the argument was really more like "Easy shouldn't also force you to be in Automatic mode". Later on they changed it so that you can toggle Automatic mode off/on regardless of difficulty.

I would say that if you came on a DMC forum back in the day and claimed the game was a button masher after finishing it on Easy Automatic mode... your opinions would be completely ignored. And yes that stuff happened all the time.

Sesha

Automatic modes have been a thing for a long time now. Having more options is good. With less options developers will instead just dumb down the core gameplay. DmC being a perfect example.

Spectacle fighters (and games like the Souls games) are about mastery. They, or at least DMC and Platinum games AFAIK, are usually designed around the highest difficulty. All features like Automatic Mode, Witch Time, etc., and every difficulty below the highest ones are crutches and stepping stones, meant to get players on a level where they can handle the game on the highest difficulty, where the "real" game starts. Arguing against Automatic Modes and similar features in my opinion is akin to arguing against difficulty settings in these games in general.

Corpekata

Banned
One side: "I don't like thing, but I don't say it shouldn't be in the game"
Other side:

+a magnitude of passive aggressive straw man circlejerk like this

Stay classy guys.

Yeah, because your posts in this thread have been screaming with class and good faith arguments.

Jarmel

Banned

So I'm wondering if those are the only two 'town' locations in the game. Nier was like this but I was hoping for a bit more.

Exentryk

Wow, I haven't seen the video in the middle of that at all. They actually show off the entire Resistance Camp area, with sidescrolling parts, and seamless transitions to full 3D parts. The area outside where you jump around and climb on buildings looks great too. Mmmm.
Yeah, it has real potential. There might not be too many varied locations, but this is what we have so far from some of the concept art:

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, it has real potential. There might not be too many varied locations, but this is what we have so far from some of the concept art:
Watch how like only half of that makes it in the game.
Taro said that he envisioned Automata as something similar to OoT, so probably? :p
Kinda disappointing as I liked the seashore city in Nier 1 and the towns/bases displayed don't have that sort of character.

Zukuu

Banned
Yeah, because your posts in this thread have been screaming with class and good faith arguments.
Yes? Apart from a funny (but fitting) gif. I mean was the ":v" smiley not clear enough for you?

I explained my point of view in detail above. Feel free to re-read it.

Neiteio

It's worth noting that the Auto Mode sounds more interesting than a single switch autogame. There are sub-options which allow the player to turn on and off auto settings for melee, range, and dodge individually. It seems like a pretty good compromise for someone who might want to partake in some parts of the action but not others.
This sounds great. Very thoughtfully implemented.

aravuus

Yes? Apart from a funny (but fitting) gif. I mean was the ":v" smiley not clear enough for you?

I explained my point of view in detail above. Feel free to re-read it.

Funnily enough your "stay classy guys" post wasn't very classy itself, grossly misrepresenting both sides of the argument.

Diffense

Hmm...that's more interesting. Full auto mode makes me somewhat uneasy but if it's just the final mode on a scale of interactivity it's not as bad.

Zukuu

Banned
I hope you don't consider yourself on this very noble, classy side; because:
Out of context much?
Easy mode should be more than enough. Overcoming any sort of challenge is integral to the experience of a game
clarified even more later:
Of course it's a minor pet peeve, but I think making a game a non-game is a really bad approach about making the game more accessible. There are other ways of handling it.

So yes, I stand by that. An auto-play feature is the wrong way of handling it. Having something like auto-combo + enemies have less health / do less damage etc at least keeps the integral part of a game intact. Playing it. Overcoming challenges (even if they are trivial).

Top Bottom