• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

This is my wet dream. Challenge accepted. I shall rebuild Hong Kong.

Assuming that the simulation can run without road connection, hopefully it can. I also hope that the water treatement plant has some uses because atleast on the maps that I have seen played, they are useless unless you don't want dark waters.

- edit -
Of course it won't work at the beginning because it's your only method of connecting to outside world but later? We need to try that.

Always been my aim to have a heavily pedestrianised urban city but never have been able to properly make one. Might have to try it again here!

I think this game will spawn cars where there are homes and it seems like there's unfortunately no option to ban cars in the city. I think you could set up homes so that public transit is basically the only reasonable option, and as long as there is some route from the outside world / industrial area to your commercial centers -- even a very long one -- and there is no traffic you should be fine. People will take transit over their cars to work if it takes them less time.

Definity

Finally watched a few videos of this. Probably going to pick it up. I didn't realize you had access to that many tiles to build with.

Is he on the latest build of the game? There are still major issues with cars not using all lanes properly, but I thought it was somewhat improved in Quill's stream this morning.

I did see lot of cars in quill's and arumba's streams using the "forgotten" left lane and not staying on the right most lane 95% of the time.

Finally watched a few videos of this. Probably going to pick it up. I didn't realize you had access to that many tiles to build with.

It really is mind blowing how big the area can be compared to 2013 SC, even the one block seems (if it isn't) bigger because in CSL everything seems to be smaller than in SC.
It was either the Paradox stream or Quill, probably Pdox stream so take that in consideration, where he talked about it being more than "just" 9 times bigger, something closer to 20 times because of the above.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Assuming that the simulation can run without road connection, hopefully it can. I also hope that the water treatement plant has some uses because atleast on the maps that I have seen played, they are useless unless you don't want dark waters.

- edit -
Of course it won't work at the beginning because it's your only method of connecting to outside world but later? We need to try that.

I think they said you need an outside road connection....or it might be that you need any kind, so rail could replace it. But then even if that was the case, you'd still have cars being generated by the train station to deliver goods for your stores to sell.

wrongway

man, what a pleasant surprise this game's been. I'd kinda given up on the genre after the failure of SC5, but this looks genuinely fantastic. Pretty cool to see how much love it's been getting on twitch, and how long it's been at the top of the best-sellers list on steam. I bet Paradox and the Colossal Order crew are stoked... and I wonder if those in charge of the SC5 nonsense have the awareness to be kicking themselves, just a bit. :p

Anyway, preorder get, watching Day9. Is it Tuesday yet?

I think they said you need an outside road connection....or it might be that you need any kind, so rail could replace it. But then even if that was the case, you'd still have cars being generated by the train station to deliver goods for your stores to sell.

At the beginning you will have a highway connection only because that is the only option available before unlocks, unless you cheat of course, haven't seen anyone try to start their city without that road connection. I have seen people move to zones that aren't connected to the highway but I don't know if the economy works without it.

Anyways the challenge would/will be minimizing distances between railway stations/harbours and airports and buildings needing those goods/materials. I think the easy part will be getting people to move by train/metro/busses (if you accept those) instead of cars.

So is there any kind of advanced tech/buildings etc when you get super far into the future?

There are advanced buildings in a sense that they will level up if you provide them what they need, increasing residents/workplaces/taxes but no "from 30's cars to flying cars" and such.

why is everyone obsessed with not having traffic lights

They slow down the traffic flow more than intersections without them. They basicly are the worst thing you can have in your road network, atleast at the moment it seems.

- edit -

Well fuck me, in Skye's 9th video he just mentioned that the currency is supposed to be Cimoleons.

They are twisting the salted dagger really hard.

Megasoum

Banned
I know it's not exactly the same kind of game but I've watched so many Cities videos in the last week that I suddenly have an urge to play some RCT

Grief.exe

So is there any kind of advanced tech/buildings etc when you get super far into the future?

There seem to be unique buildings that you unlock tiers of as you progress in population. I don't want to spoil myself further than I already have but they seem to get larger and larger.

why is everyone obsessed with not having traffic lights

Technically a traffic light is inefficient. If you can plan your city around keeping traffic flowing at all times then you can optimize your traffic flow.

Unfortunately, this is only realistic in a video game where you can move entire stretches of road and buildings arbitrary for a negligible cost.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wish hard mode wasn't a mod, so I could play it without having to disable my achievements.

Unfortunately, this is only realistic in a video game where you can move entire stretches of road and buildings arbitrary for a negligible cost.

Which is also populated by AI that doesn't get into accidents and perfectly observes the right of way. Woe be to the player if every car was controlled by an actual human.

I wish hard mode wasn't a mod, so I could play it without having to disable my achievements.

Which is also populated by AI that doesn't get into accidents and perfectly observes the right of way. Woe be to the player if every car was controlled by an actual human.

Traffic lights are needed in real life because people a) are unpredictable b) don't follow the same rules in identical ways c) are assholes/selfish.

Having every car driven by a identically behaving robot makes traffic lights kinda pointless combared to just intersections without them. They actually slow down the flow because of how they work BUT I haven't paid that close attention if the lights are smart or are they set length.

- edit -

Just you wait, someone WILL make a rng driving ai mod at some point and the chaos will be glorious.

Got a question...I pre-ordered this game on DLGamer. I've never ordered anything from there, it was the cheapest I could find this game for though. Anyway, when can I expect a code from them to download the game? Midnight on the day of release or later in the day?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Had the tracks that I most liked from SimCity 4 mixed with the ones of 3000.
I still prefer more the jazzy feel 3000 had.

I had a Sim City 4 track playing when I first discovered Keyhole Earthviewer (I think it was just Keyhole at the time, and required an Nvidia card).
This track in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwxztLVdU-4&list=PL5CB5FE51A449ADE2 and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLxGZE82MBY&index=2&list=PL5CB5FE51A449ADE2

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
BUT I haven't paid that close attention if the lights are smart or are they set length.

Yes. I haven't noticed that either. This is actually one aspect of the SimCity2013 road gameplay that worked well - right of way.

For example, if a medium density street intersected a low density street, only the low density street had stop signs, and the cars on the medium density street could just keep driving. The low density cars had to yield to the medium density street cars.

If a street intersected an avenue, the lights on the avenue would be green longer to give them a priority over the street.

Yes. I haven't noticed that either. This is actually one aspect of the SimCity2013 road gameplay that worked well - right of way.

For example, if a medium density street intersected a low density street, only the low density street had stop signs, and the cars on the medium density street could just keep driving. The low density cars had to yield to the medium density street cars.

If a street intersected an avenue, the lights on the avenue would be green longer to give them a priority over the street.

Wasn't the SC 2013 simulation/ai garbage that makes the right of way somewhat pointless? I haven't played it or know if it got better over time but I've heard horror stories and seen some of the dreaded car-centipede traffic.

The idea itself is good and would be great in CSL also.

How much space can a city take up and how tall can the buildings get?

9 (36 km^2) roughly 2x2 km (4 km^2) squares in a 5x5 grid. How tall? Idk where to compare them really, haven't seen any really tall skyscrapers though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wasn't the SC 2013 simulation/ai garbage that makes the right of way somewhat pointless? I haven't played it or know if it got better over time but I've heard horror stories and seen some of the dreaded car-centipede traffic.

The idea itself is good and would be great in CSL also.

A lot of people didn't notice that functionality of the roads because the rest of the game's problems overshadowed it. The right of way thing, though, wasn't necessarily pointless because it was one of the ways in which to manage the terrible AI just a little bit better.

If traffic in a city wasn't to the point of standstill, taking advantage of the right of way rules made a difference.

Psykoboy2

So, I'm about to start streaming the game here (http://www.twitch.tv/ingamechat) myself in just a few moments, but since we'll be giving away a copy of the game and probably have a lot of talk surrounding it, I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind putting together a music playlist for the show tomorrow. Music, of course, specifically from previous city builder games (likely all SimCity tracks, but that's fine too).

There are 7 places we'd use bumper cuts for going into and coming out of a commercial break. So, I'd need 7 tracks. Now, we may go long and not even break but once so feel free to list them in order of importance. I'll grab the tracks tomorrow before the show and use them during the broadcast. Just a thought.

Also, another reminder about tomorrow:

Giving away an extra "special" copy of this game tomorrow night during our live radio show, In-Game Chat (GAF Thread) (Website).

We broadcast from 4 to 6 central time every Saturday afternoon. We stream the show live on Twitch and you'll need to be in that chat room for the give away.

Also, be here in this thread BEFORE the show starts cause I'll be giving you folks here on GAF a head start to win the code. You'll need to have Steam open to win this contest, by the way.

So, I'm about to start streaming the game here (http://www.twitch.tv/ingamechat) myself in just a few moments, but since we'll be giving away a copy of the game and probably have a lot of talk surrounding it, I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind putting together a music playlist for the show tomorrow. Music, of course, specifically from previous city builder games (likely all SimCity tracks, but that's fine too).

There are 7 places we'd use bumper cuts for going into and coming out of a commercial break. So, I'd need 7 tracks. Now, we may go long and not even break but once so feel free to list them in order of importance. I'll grab the tracks tomorrow before the show and use them during the broadcast. Just a thought.

Also, another reminder about tomorrow:

Giving away an extra "special" copy of this game tomorrow night during our live radio show, In-Game Chat (GAF Thread) (Website).

We broadcast from 4 to 6 central time every Saturday afternoon. We stream the show live on Twitch and you'll need to be in that chat room for the give away.

Also, be here in this thread BEFORE the show starts cause I'll be giving you folks here on GAF a head start to win the code. You'll need to have Steam open to win this contest, by the way.

Always loved this tune from Anno 2070

Retro

I'm sure it'll sound positively alien to some people, but I grew up with the Mac version of SimCity2k, so this is nostalgia firing on all cylinders for me.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind putting together a music playlist for the show tomorrow. Music, of course, specifically from previous city builder games (likely all SimCity tracks, but that's fine too).

Some posts earlier in the thread:

I had a Sim City 4 track playing when I first discovered Keyhole Earthviewer (I think it was just Keyhole at the time, and required an Nvidia card).
This track in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwxztLVdU-4&list=PL5CB5FE51A449ADE2 and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLxGZE82MBY&index=2&list=PL5CB5FE51A449ADE2

I did that in SimCity 4. SimCity 3000 has the best sim building soundtrack ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBszCIKYumk

Playlist of SimCity 2013 music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3IOWyNy66E&list=PLDj6HiQZZY4HGQHxwBdADlxXzF-ow6Klb

All the tracks from SimCity2013 are good, IMO.

For nostalgia, this is the SNES SimCity OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ZlV9n7TfE&list=PL49FD69EAB07C9C7A

They're all pretty recognizable to old school fans.

People probably hear this one the most: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPcP8MRh8r4&list=PL49FD69EAB07C9C7A&index=3

Or the title intro theme is pretty recognizable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ZlV9n7TfE&index=1&list=PL49FD69EAB07C9C7A

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The only good thing about Simcity 2013 is the soundtrack.

Nah, it had a few other good things to it too. The UI was fantastic, so was the zoning to the roads concept, and the graphics were great. It's just that two of the most important parts were broken: the simulation and the gameplay. But yeah, SC5 had awesome music.

Top Bottom