• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Okay, wait, how? I thought the game was limited to 9 tiles but "could" eventually have it unlocked to 25 tiles by modding, but it wouldn't be easy? But here, before launch even, has someone already modded the game to open it up to all 25 tiles?

Don't get me wrong, that's awesome, just wondering how it's happened already, LOL.

Yes, there's already a mod for it, just activate it ingame and voila, you can unlock the 25 tiles (if you have money and reached milestones, unless you activate the "Everything unlocked" and "Unlimited money" mods).

I just tried it, mods disables Steam achievements, but I made a new map, unlocked all tiles, saved, disabled all the mods, came back in my save, and tiles were still unlocked, except I had normal amout of starting money and nothing unlocked (as in a normal game start), so the achievements may work then.

Kinthalis

Banned
Looking around their boards someone linked a video from the Twitch channel Psykoboy2 a part of with all 25 tiles unlocked and wow...

http://www.twitch.tv/ingamechat/b/633743304

I'm certain it was mostly EA's fault and IIRC the person who was in charge got promoted for some reason but there's still plenty of people who worked on the game that had to have at some level of involvement that got laid off I'm sure.

Wow, didn't know you could also follow airplanes. That was awesome!

Tuck

Nope,

I pretty much believe it had everything going for it (as you see Cities: Skylines took a lot of inspiration from it).

Just the city sizes it's what held it back for me. I'm still playing Sim City from time to time, the easiness of the tools plus the look of it, it comes together real well .Still my prefered city builder as of now, even after seeing what Skylines has to offer. I guess I'll see how the community responds after it has dropped. I'm really disliking the look of the buildings a lot from this and there is no day/night cycle?
AI was terrible and it was missing key elements, but it did look pretty.

Grief.exe

The interchange on the Paradox stream is perfect.

gIm66GB.jpg

spiritfox

Still takes up way too much space. I don't know how you'd make an interchange that doesn't, I would just not make so many highways.

Interchanges do take up lots of space in real life. Also, he should have just built a direct connection between the 2 highways for the congested area, not route them through the roundabout.

The interchange on the Paradox stream is perfect.

Interchange pic
That's cool looking! Are there these kind of interchanges in the real world? I've never seen something like this.

Edit: I just noticed there are trees within it, which is nice. That means you can add trees after it's placed, or that road piece doesn't kill everything within its outer borders.

Seanspeed

Banned
You can still build under/in-between those spaces there, right? Like, that's not how much room you have to clear out and leave undeveloped?

spiritfox

Is there a way to do medium density zoning, or is it just an auto upgrade from low density?

I'm watching streams and it seems like as soon as people get high density zoning they just paint everything high density without considering how people are going to move in their city other than making the streets wider. Like if you were going to do this a nice medium density 4 to 10 floor townhouse/apartment areas would make a lot more sense.

Munkyspace

Looks like it's all built as highway, which means he can't zone any buildings around it. Best he could build is train access running somewhere through it, which isn't much.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So, someone already put this together for Cities Skylines;

http://terrain.party/

Make your own terrain maps for import into Cities using a real world map.

This game is going to have a rabid modding and fanbase.

We have this thing and this thing where I live, no donuts, just lot of ramps/merging lanes basicly.

Granted that the traffic volumes are nowhere near the same as central/southern europe but it might work with the game's scale pretty well.

That 25km x 25km is smaller than I thought or there is something wrong with the site/tool. Or option c) my hometown is larger than I thought.
Awesome thing still that this already exists.

Grief.exe

We have this thing and this thing where I live, no donuts, just lot of ramps/merging lanes basicly.

Granted that the traffic volumes are nowhere near the same as central/southern europe but it might work with the game's scale pretty well.

I'm going to bookmark these for later use.

The other difference with Skylines is you are not as constrained with space as in reality. You can use massive highway tiles as your on and off ramps in order to help diffuse traffic.

Sweet, was looking into mapping Cincinnati earlier, and now I don't have to!
Hopefully you can combine the areas, I should read up more on this mod. The area you get is pretty small, I'd need 3 just to do Richmond, BC... which isn't that big of a place. But very cool mod! The devs should throw this guy a few grand, put him in the credits and incorporate this into the game.

Amiibro

Just bought a MacBook Pro, mid 2014 with a dual core i5, 8 gigs of ram and the Iris Pro video chip. I wonder if I can play this on low settings? I have have pretty good luck with playing games I wouldnt expect to even run on a a system without a real video card.

Guess Ill wait and see if anyone trys it before I buy it.

Wow, Manhattan is bigger than I thought. 20s NY might have to wait until I build a rig capable of rocking the full 5x5 tiles.

EDIT: Holy crap, Central Park fills up most of 3 tiles.

Some of the traffic does feel way out of scale with the population numbers. Areas with less than 20k population shouldn't need these crazy elaborate road systems.

Mii

Banned
Has anyone tried building no-road residential or commercial districts? Is it possible with walkways? Could a mod ban all residential driving?

Has anyone tried building no-road residential or commercial districts? Is it possible with walkways? Could a mod ban all residential driving?

Much as I would like that the simulation requires roads to deliver any city services. Garbage trucks, ambulances, and hearses need direct access to buildings, firetrucks can't go on walkways, delivery trucks can't access at "off-peak" (cause there is none) etc.

Mii

Banned
Much as I would like that the simulation requires roads to deliver any city services. Garbage trucks, ambulances, and hearses need direct access to buildings, firetrucks can't go on walkways, delivery trucks can't access at "off-peak" (cause there is none) etc.

That doesn't prevent a ban on residents driving though. Would be interesting to see the dynamic of using the streets for only service, delivery, and industrial vehicles.

OmegaDL50

On the subject of this discussion of roads and traffic management. Here is something I want to ask.

How comparable is Cities: Skylines to say the Sim City 4 with the Network Add-on Mod installed in terms of road, rail, and public transportation options?

I've already bought Cities: Skylines from GMG, so it's just a matter of waiting, and I've been keeping away from most of the streams to stay surprised on most of the information.

The only thing I know is that this game doesn't have the memory leak problems like Cities XL and it has larger areas to work with over Sim City 2013, other than this I'm completely going into the game blind.

That doesn't prevent a ban on residents driving though. Would be interesting to see the dynamic of using the streets for only service, delivery, and industrial vehicles.

Yeah that would be a good mod or policy. I'm planning on going way out of my way to make residents driving impractical so that would save a lot of effort.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
On the subject of this discussion of roads and traffic management. Here is something I want to ask.

How comparable is Cities: Skylines to say the Sim City 4 with the Network Add-on Mod installed in terms of road, rail, and public transportation options?

I've already bought Cities: Skylines from GMG, so it's just a matter of waiting, and I've been keeping away from most of the streams to stay surprised on most of the information.

The only thing I know is that this game doesn't have the memory leak problems like Cities XL and it has larger areas to work with over Sim City 2013, other than this I'm completely going into the game blind.

This game is from the Cities in Motion developer, and those games were completely focused on transit infrastructure management. I don't think Skylines will be as robust as the CiM games initially, but there will be plenty of options.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

the only way I think you could get this is if you made an isolated commercial district that was only accessible through public transport, with no residential there, but obviously having the roads used for services and such
Not sure it would work though

OmegaDL50

This game is from the Cities in Motion developer, and those games were completely focused on transit infrastructure management. I don't think Skylines will be as robust as the CiM games initially, but there will be plenty of options.

I know this game is developed by Collossal Order and not Monte Cristo.

I was asking more about about the comparison of road / rail / public trans in Cities: Skylines compared to the Network Add-On for SC4. Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

I had to stop watching the CO/Paradox stream, I was in it too long and paying way too much attention to the chat. TotalyMoo really likes his trees and roads. I think the only thing really shown that I haven't seen was the asset creator, beyond that, felt like 90% of the time I was watching was focusing on roads and fixing roundabouts, heh.

Awesome, it'll be even better when things can be scaled down more, I can't get what I want to fit but from the Reddit topic further scaling down is something he's working on, I might be able to fit at least the more important parts of my area into it and I think I'll be fine using that mod to unlock the whole area since it'll stay low populated.

EDIT: Looks like there's Mercator issues, which would explain why where I live and an area that's less than a mile from me barely fit in one of the 2km squares.

The main area is 10km x 10km so that might be why unless you mean the whole square, that's 18x18. ;)

Pretty sure that's the Gaffer who's going to be giving away an early access game code later today.

It is.

spiritfox

I know this game is developed by Collossal Order and not Monte Cristo.

I was asking more about about the comparison of road / rail / public trans in Cities: Skylines compared to the Network Add-On for SC4. Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

You're comparing a game with years of mod support with one that is not out yet. They have the basic road and rail networks, but they are still lacking stuff like complex highway infrastructure and public transport outside of buses, metro, and trains. Of course, they will be supporting the game after launch, and one of the things they have said they are going to add for free are tunnels. They are also looking at expanding the highway tools. I except it take a year or so to overtake SC4 with NAM entirely.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It seems more popular in Europe. Roundabout Interchanges

Yeah, when playing Euro Truck 2 there are always lots of roundabouts throughout the game. Here in the USA I only know of 2 that I've ever seen.

Okay, that's fucking slick! I've already saved a few greymaps to play around with come Tuesday.

OmegaDL50

You're comparing a game with years of mod support with one that is not out yet. They have the basic road and rail networks, but they are still lacking stuff like complex highway infrastructure and public transport outside of buses, metro, and trains. Of course, they will be supporting the game after launch, and one of the things they have said they are going to add for free are tunnels. They are also looking at expanding the highway tools. I except it take a year or so to overtake SC4 with NAM entirely.

Excellent. Thank you. I am looking forward to seeing how this game develops after release and subsequent patch revisions.

Top Bottom