• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Tu101uk

Even SimCity 2000 had a more advanced landscape.
Pretty much this. Terraforming is probably my favourite aspect of the SimCity series and its omission is the main reason why I cancelled my preorder yesterday.

Don't get me wrong - I love the changes to the simulation model and the tweaks and streamlining to the UI. I like the graphical style they've went with. I can stomach the "always online" approach because I could play privately on my own without bothering anyone else (though it means I couldn't play it on a plane or train, and no saving and reloading is a bugger). I can deal with the smaller city sizes and the fewer transportation options because I'm expecting them in a future expansion. Lack of modding was expected, and I'm not expecting EA to allow heavy modding of an online game without strict vetting and some way of monetising them (like a mod store or something). Heck, with the 3D graphics engine I can't see how they can do any sort of Urban Renewal Kit like the old days.

But no terraforming has always been a dealbreaker for me. I love building my own landscape, realistic or otherwise, and then setting to work on building a town around (or through) my constructed maps. I can see why it isn't feasible, but omitting it has taken away a huge part of why I love the series. I can't even see them putting it in without making changes to the way regions work.

Methinks I'll sit this one out for now, see how EA and Maxis develop it.

ekim

I've read somewhere you can fill small areas between streets with bushes/trees if they are not zoned but I don't know how to do this...

edit: some Betatester on reddit stated that.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Screw the haters, I've spent the past... 4h having a shitton of fun. My city somehow didn't grow as much as I'd hoped, but I'm making TONS of money with Coal, while at the same time losing TONS of money to police due to my Evil HQ :lol

Discovery Delta I players! I have created the GAF region -- it is on the NA West server. invites will be sent out. Region is called Delta Prime.

Lingitiz

Surprised alot of people are having trouble getting in. Just got a fairly decent hr+ long session done. Had no trouble logging back in either.

Canon

Banned
Wait, this isn't an MMO right? So why is everyone acting like the Internet is required to play?

I just heard of this game now. Is it worth getting? Do you NEED Origin? Because if so, fuck that.

Robin64

So, NA servers being full means a lot of Americans are selecting European servers to play on. So when the game actually comes out here, in three days time, our servers will already be full of people from other continents? Joy!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Wait, this isn't an MMO right? So why is everyone acting like the Internet is required to play?

I just heard of this game now. Is it worth getting? Do you NEED Origin? Because if so, fuck that.

It's a game meant to be played online with others (There's games other than MMO's that are being played like that), so there's an online server connection required, yes.

evilhomer

So, NA servers being full means a lot of Americans are selecting European servers to play on. So when the game actually comes out here, in three days time, our servers will already be full of people from other continents? Joy!

That's where Discovery Delta #2 is!

:D

MJLord

I think you will have to wait for a long long time.

This.
I have completely missed out on the Sims 3 for this very reason.

Or if anyone from EA is reading, you have completely missed out on my money, I did not buy a £40 that really should be priced at £15 if the amount of content compared to previous games was to be believed. I did not buy £20 DLC to get my Sims to go to university. I was not fooled into buying your items for a quid on the in game store. This is not sarcasm. I wish I could have bought into The Sims 3 and enjoyed it as much as previous titles, but the problem with EA recently is that I am not a customer to EA, I am a wallet to take money from and a criminal who pirates their games and steals money from them. Treat me like a customer and I *might* start buying games from you again.

But Sim City is continuing this trend.

Ugh. Apparently you can only invite friends that are online at the time or something? I wasn't able to invite anybody to Discovery Delta 1, aka Delta Prime yet.

I will be on for most of the day tomorrow so make sure you're around and I'll send you an invite!

Nokterian

This gon b gud. I am not going to play it yet then,hilarious that are just a few servers at the moment.

popcorn_yes.gif

I'm not sure Origin-exclusive games tend to get discounted much, and they take a while to get discounted.
They get discounted fine. Amazon will have it cheaply within the year. Origin doesn't really matter, you don't have to buy the game directly from EA.

evilhomer

For Discovery Delta #2 (Neotopia Delta)

The City Hall upgrades benefit the whole region so we can try to spread them out and make sure we get them all covered as they come.

Finance
Education
Tourism
Transportation
Health and Safety
Utilities - evilhomer14

I went ahead and did utilities for better water and sewage treatment. Fill in the blanks as your hall gets upgraded and we can share the benefits :D

The same will go for university upgrades as well.

edit: I think education or transportation would be good for the next ones :)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
But it's not a single player game. At least not in the traditional sense. D3 had these same problems, they'll get ironed out.

If only there was this set date, where devs and publishers could release their games simultaneously across different regions and platforms. Maybe in magic land, where this hypothetical re-l-ease d-ate existed they would have the superpower of foresight and pre-planning to avoid garbage like this.

Oh listen to me rambling about fairy tales like an old man.

Mogwai

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/simcity/user-reviews

Who ever is spamming SimCity user review on Metacritic needs to stop.
The game is really good, stop being a big baby because the server is busy
or you cant make a giant city like you wanted to.
It was very well made and its honestly a way better rating then what these childish
morons are saying. Grow up.

It's a problem when people use Metacritic to express their hatred towards devs and publishers instead of reviewing the actual game. It's the same thing that happens with CoD games.

Aaron

It's a problem when people use Metacritic to express their hatred towards devs and publishers instead of reviewing the actual game. It's the same thing that happens with CoD games.
Hard to review when you can't log into the single player game.

People buying it direct from EA have to wait for their keys to get verified before it shows up as unlocked the download. Yet, people buying it from a third party like Amazon get their keys earlier AND already verified. Really sucks and this will definitely hurt their reputation even more.

And no preload.

EA really screwed the pooch on this one.

okay so I'm at work so I dont have any actual info on this

so I bought the game directly from EA on origin, when I get home I have to still put in a product key even though that shit was, again, bought directly?

When I bought Tomb Raider on steam, I was able to just click a button on my phone and start the download sitting at my work desk so its ready when I get home

but with this I have to go home, pull up my key, type it in, then wait for it to verify before I can start downloading it?

what the hell

Lettuce

Just watched the GaintBomb quick look and bummed about the city sizes :(. Do you think that this will get patched to allow larger cities or failing that will get a community hack to increase the size. Heck I'd even be happy if EA just released a different game mode where the city size wasn't restricted

Ceebs

Ok, got to play around with it for a bit, but time for bed now. Whoever is setting up the VW1 region, shoot me my invite.

Copenap

Man, I'm still undecided about this. I would really like to play a new SimCity but to be honest this is more and more looking like a free2play game which they charge me 60€ for. I guess I will wait for now and see what the general opinion is in a couplke of weeks.

yogloo

Man, I'm still undecided about this. I would really like to play a new SimCity but to be honest this is more and more looking like a free2play game which they charge me 60€ for. I guess I will wait for now and see what the general opinion is in a couplke of weeks.

I like it a lot. It plays like simicty 4 with people as your neighbour instead of computers. It makes the the region alive. I like where they are heading with this type of multiplayer.

evilhomer

Just watched the GaintBomb quick look and bummed about the city sizes :(. Do you think that this will get patched to allow larger cities or failing that will get a community hack to increase the size. Heck I'd even be happy if EA just released a different game mode where the city size wasn't restricted

Maxis has already talked about increasing city size in a future patch.

Feep

Banned
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/simcity/user-reviews

Who ever is spamming SimCity user review on Metacritic needs to stop.
The game is really good, stop being a big baby because the server is busy
or you cant make a giant city like you wanted to.
It was very well made and its honestly a way better rating then what these childish
morons are saying. Grow up.
Yeah, we're childish morons because we're expressing our disappointment that the series has regressed in numerous ways. No terraforming, extremely limited city size, and especially single-player DRM are serious issues that should be addressed, and your caterwauling isn't helping. This is a thread meant for discussion. We're discussing. Deal with it.

Uthred

Legitimate complaints.

Theres a a difference between a legitimate complaint and giving a game a 0. The actual "reviews" also make it quite clear that a number of them simply have an axe to grind with EA e.g. the guy who knocked 50% off because it was published by EA.

Yeah, we're childish morons because we're expressing our disappointment that the series has regressed in numerous ways. No terraforming, extremely limited city size, and especially single-player DRM are serious issues that should be addressed, and your caterwauling isn't helping. This is a thread meant for discussion. We're discussing. Deal with it.

No, is childish because you rate the game for what you want, not for what the game try to accomplish.

Again, your complaint are right/correct, but you can't scattle a game so well made.

deleted

After some previews and reviews it looks, like I'd have fun with it despite its flaws. Where can I get Sim City the cheapest?

GMG has the Limited edition with a 20% voucher, is it less anywhere else?

ekim

Yeah, we're childish morons because we're expressing our disappointment that the series has regressed in numerous ways. No terraforming, extremely limited city size, and especially single-player DRM are serious issues that need to be addressed, and your caterwauling isn't helping. This is a thread meant for discussion. We're discussing. Deal with it.

So you basically want SC4? I have good news for you.
It's a reboot of the series - as if the only fun thing in a city sim is to terraform.
The city size limit is also not that bad as people make it look - there are different plot sizes and you will need a lot of thinking to get everything right within that limited size.

For comparison:
Small plotsize:

Larger plotsize:

KaYotiX

Banned
This info has been around for awhile, people's fault for not doing research before buying games. MAXIS has already said they will prolly allow bigger cities and terraforming down the road. Always online is here to stay on big releases so get used to it.

Aaron

Theres a a difference between a legitimate complaint and giving a game a 0. The actual "reviews" also make it quite clear that a number of them simply have an axe to grind with EA e.g. the guy who knocked 50% off because it was published by EA.
People bought the game, and can't play due to the server congestion, even after waiting for a while after when their codes should have arrived. It is childish, but a game that's unplayable shouldn't be getting a high score.

So you basically want SC4? I have good news for you.
It's a reboot of the series - as if the only fun thing in a city sim is to terraform.
The city size limit is also not that bad as people make it look - there are different plot sizes and you will need a lot of thinking to get everything right within that limited size.

For comparison:
Small plotsize:

Larger plotsize:

I found the 1:1 simulation fascinating, even magical. Watching the small plot screenshot I got everytime shocked thinking about at those cars, there for a reason, with a purpose, using your creation in such a natural way... wow.

Uthred

People bought the game, and can't play due to the server congestion, even after waiting for a while after when their codes should have arrived. It is childish, but a game that's unplayable shouldn't be getting a high score.

I agree, but it also shouldnt be getting a 0 or a 3 because youre pissed off with launch day glitches. Its supposed to be a review of the game in general, those scores will still be there in a week or two when the server issues which are the cause of them could be (likely will be) entirely gone.

Nibiru

Banned
It's very good imo. I think those talking about how this version is lesser than Simcity 4 are being disingenuous in their "love" or experience with that game. Only very advanced Simcity 4 players would be capable of thinking that this one is dumbed down and even then I think they might just hate it because they are no longer pro and have to learn again.

It truly is fantastic and I think people really wanted it to be crap but I'm sorry guys it isn't.

Copenap

I like it a lot. It plays like simicty 4 with people as your neighbour instead of computers. It makes the the region alive. I like where they are heading with this type of multiplayer.
Glad to hear this and I will definitely keep an eye on the game.

Top Bottom