• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Special Edition - Mods Thread: Thomas the Tank Engine Strikes Back

Raven77

I really regret installing Open Cities, but as far as I can tell I'm stuck with it unless I start a new game. I'm 65 hours in :(

Is there ANY safe way of removing it?

On PC.

Could you provide some insight into why you don't like this mod? I remember hearing a lot of people singing it's praises when it was released.

I installed then later uninstalled Open Cities on xbox. Now whenever i fast travel to Windhelm or the stables, my game crashes on the loading screen.

TheZink

I installed then later uninstalled Open Cities on xbox. Now whenever i fast travel to Windhelm or the stables, my game crashes on the loading screen.

I had to uninstall it. It totally killed my game and corrupted my saves. Since I deleted it my game has run flawlessly

Edit: Playing on Xbox One

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Some shots from the XB1 using an uncompressed cap card, using it with Climates of Tamriel, Real Lighting, Project Hippie, SMIM, Lush Overal, Skyland, Real Mountains, Volumetric Fog and quite abit more.

I was using Vivid Weathers but it seems to blur certain areas, only thing I do like it offers saturation and bloom options.

Performance is pretty well solid apart from a few areas. I need to sort out my load order though because something is causing crashes, I'm using nearly 5GB so its a chore going through each mod.

gFSrHx6.png
eu67dcy.png

LQI4JWw.png
qxrGn6o.png

uSz6PZU.png
VOMxKzQ.png

Mx3jDdb.png
HT6bJ4k.png

gZADPhk.png
t0HVqEK.png

inner-G

Banned
Could you provide some insight into why you don't like this mod? I remember hearing a lot of people singing it's praises when it was released.
There are a lot of cool mods that it's incompatible with. The loads for cities in SE aren't that bad anyway imo (I'm on a SSD though, so ymmv on that)

Edit: is Project Hippie much different than Trees in Cities?

So, I almost died about 4 days ago, had emergency gall bladder surgery, had grandpas funeral 2 days later, doctors still trying to figure out a problem with my heart... I am pretty doped up atm. I haven't been very active here lately and it feels like I've been missing my family. But I'm back! :)

As soon as I transfer all of my files over to my new dedicated moding drive, a crucial 750 GB SSD that I was able to nab on black Friday that is...

Welp, didn't finish post till the next day so I guess I'll add a few suggestions here in the mean time. lol :)

Believe it or not, this mod has taken the place of a huge chunk of texture mods that I was using.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5488/?

Also, I have warmed up to Climates of Tamriel since they have sorted a bunch of issues.

Here are some picks with them in use...

30654188263_e3fbffc47e_o.png

30654195843_8a27e040b4_o.png

31091566600_b9d5556d49_o.png

These last two are using Ethereal Cosmos (Twinkly Subdued) as well.
31316948932_6987f7a81c_o.png

31316672452_57b69ca854_o.png

Looks good man, hope you have a quick recovery!

Literally all I want for Christmas at this point is some calm and some peace of mind. Right now we are trying to get the floors done before we have to take grandmother back from her hospice respite... tonight. My wife is trying to get me to not work and do nothing but rest since those where the doctors orders but I feel like it won't get done if I don't do anything... It's stressful fam.

Incompatible with most city expansion mods, also stops playing the city specific music which sucks as I love the Skyrim music.

So is climates of tamriel better than true storms now? Bc that's what I'm currently using

I don't know if I would say better... Just different. They both do things a little differently. The reason I am using COT now is because I am also using RLO and it is basically a sister mod that works really well together as long as you don't use any of RLO's weather modules. The weather outside tends to more accurately reflect in RLO's lighting when inside buildings and such as apposed to other weather mods.

At the time that I used it True Storms didn't have an option for darker night settings. COT has that and I really like it. I really like the way COT handles Godrays now as well.

Two questions..

#1. Is "Climates Of Tamriel Darker Nights XBox One" the only mod for darker nights on XB1? Love all the changes in SE, and mods.. but the nights are SOOOO bright it's almost silly.

#2. What are the odds my save is OK if I remove True Storms and install Climates Of Tamriel?

Two questions..

#1. Is "Climates Of Tamriel Darker Nights XBox One" the only mod for darker nights on XB1? Love all the changes in SE, and mods.. but the nights are SOOOO bright it's almost silly.

#2. What are the odds my save is OK if I remove True Storms and install Climates Of Tamriel?

Uninstalling True Storms should be ok. There's also Vivid Weathers that has a configurable night brightness.

golem

Get well soon Vlaud and sorry for your loss

I uninstalled CoT a while back but seeing your pictures makes me want to give it another spin. Nice to hear its being updated with improvements

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Two questions..

Have you tried Darkness Falls? I'm using Climates Of Tamriel with Enhanced Night Skyrim and its perfect for me.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Two questions..

Try Vivid Weathers! it gives you the option to select "doom" darkness which is so dark navigating without a torch or nighteye is nearly impossible. Plus other less extreme options.

Skunkers

Literally all I want for Christmas at this point is some calm and some peace of mind. Right now we are trying to get the floors done before we have to take grandmother back from her hospice respite... tonight. My wife is trying to get me to not work and do nothing but rest since those where the doctors orders but I feel like it won't get done if I don't do anything... It's stressful fam.

Honestly bro, anything to do with heart complications means you need to follow your doctors' orders to the letter. If something doesn't get done, big deal, get it done later and in a short while it'll be behind you. Your health has to come first or you could wind up being no good to anyone. I actually just lost a family member because he didn't follow the doctors orders and died to a massive heart attack; he was a phenomenally fit and healthy guy too. Be safe and best wishes for your recovery, but please take it easy.

Have you tried Darkness Falls? I'm using Climates Of Tamriel with Enhanced Night Skyrim and its perfect for me.

Need to try that next! For some reason the search on the mod webpage never pulls up what I'm looking for unless I type in the full name.

Looking at it.. it looks pretty cool, will give it a try. Are you doing the original or "not as dark" version? Do you use 'more bright' torch mods?

Try Vivid Weathers! it gives you the option to select "doom" darkness which is so dark navigating without a torch or nighteye is nearly impossible. Plus other less extreme options.

Holy moly. I just installed and tried this.. "DOOM" is DARK. The downside is it makes it almost impossible to navigate even with a torch. The torch lights up maybe 3-4 feet in front of me, less if its rugged terrain. For some reason my followers torch seems to light up more. It also seemed to 'wash out' everything way more than the other options. I installed a "brighter torch" mod to see if it fixed this, and it helped a little.. until I went into a dungeon and then the torches were ridiculously bright. D'oh.

In a perfect world I would like the far off stuff to be black, mountains, etc unless lit up for some realistic reason. Torches, campfires, etc should give decent usable light. I want to be a little afraid running around at night, or making it a realistic reason to camp out at night (Using the campfire mode + longer days so nights last longer). In the regular game I just keep wandering around at night and its no big deal to keep going "24/7".

Probably too picky, need to keep trying I guess. For reference, what is your stock "brightness" level set to? Wonder if that + my TV settings are causing some of the grief.

2 things.

1. Trying out the different map mods. Currently have on paper map and like it somewhat.

2. Anyone else trying out the STARS mods? What's your take?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Holy moly. I just installed and tried this.. "DOOM" is DARK. The downside is it makes it almost impossible to navigate even with a torch. The torch lights up maybe 3-4 feet in front of me, less if its rugged terrain. For some reason my followers torch seems to light up more. It also seemed to 'wash out' everything way more than the other options. I installed a "brighter torch" mod to see if it fixed this, and it helped a little.. until I went into a dungeon and then the torches were ridiculously bright. D'oh.

In a perfect world I would like the far off stuff to be black, mountains, etc unless lit up for some realistic reason. Torches, campfires, etc should give decent usable light. I want to be a little afraid running around at night, or making it a realistic reason to camp out at night (Using the campfire mode + longer days so nights last longer). In the regular game I just keep wandering around at night and its no big deal to keep going "24/7".

Probably too picky, need to keep trying I guess. For reference, what is your stock "brightness" level set to? Wonder if that + my TV settings are causing some of the grief.

"Doom" is indeed dark. I imagine my TV settings are pretty standard. With Vivid Weathers I use the second darkest option and knock darkness down indoors one notch as well. For me this is ideal as it creates a real obstacle navigating at night but it's not so dark as to become cumbersome.

You're right about the torches too. The game wasn't designed to be this dark.

So after a night of screwing around with all the combinations I could find.. I found what seems to look best for me.

True Storms+Surreal Lighting+Darkness Falls = Just right amount of darkness. I think with the x2 torch power it will be almost perfect. The x4 is a bit of overkill, and ruins dungeons.

My one problem.. And I don't know where this is coming from.. At night, most of the non ingredient plants are completely black. When you shine a torch or magelight or whatever on them.. They're like completely made of shadow. The light hits the ground, but the plant is completely black. This makes it kind of suck at might since there are little black holes everywhere I'm running. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I tried changing around mods and disabling stuff but none changed the plants.

I have Skyrim: Legendary Edition on Steam.

Whats the consensus about Skyrim + Mods vs SKSE + Mods. Worth it to spend the extra mula yet?

Skyrim noob here. I have the Special Edition on Steam b/c I bought Skyrim for super cheap in a sale. Never played it. I'm looking to get around to it soon. Does it have all DLC included or do I still have to buy it separately?

First time through I want to go in with little in the way of gameplay modifications unless people here suggest otherwise, and mostly go just environment. Thoughts?

So after a night of screwing around with all the combinations I could find.. I found what seems to look best for me.

True Storms+Surreal Lighting+Darkness Falls = Just right amount of darkness. I think with the x2 torch power it will be almost perfect. The x4 is a bit of overkill, and ruins dungeons.

My one problem.. And I don't know where this is coming from.. At night, most of the non ingredient plants are completely black. When you shine a torch or magelight or whatever on them.. They're like completely made of shadow. The light hits the ground, but the plant is completely black. This makes it kind of suck at might since there are little black holes everywhere I'm running. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I tried changing around mods and disabling stuff but none changed the plants.

Here are a couple pictures trying to show it off..

Wow this is really dark. It doesn't look as dark actually on my TV, likely due to my TV settings.

SKSE-Dark01.png

Here is the black plants. Kind of hard to see, but they're right in the center. Completely black. Not all plants are like this, only this one type (which is all over the place). Any idea how to fix this?

SKSE-Dark02.png

Here is a shot from when I first started adding mods.. I love the look, but it was just too bright for night time. Like maybe once and a while with a full moon or something.. but there was zero need for any kind of light source outside, ever.

SKSE-Normal.png

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Skyrim noob here. I have the Special Edition on Steam b/c I bought Skyrim for super cheap in a sale. Never played it. I'm looking to get around to it soon. Does it have all DLC included or do I still have to buy it separately?

First time through I want to go in with little in the way of gameplay modifications unless people here suggest otherwise, and mostly go just environment. Thoughts?

Yes, all DLC is included. I think purely running graphics mods is a good idea. At least to begin with. A playthrough could last for 200+ hours, you can always add other mods in later as long as you're careful.

BouncyFrag

I'm loving the map mod with all the roads on it. I've yet to get tied of the Doakes from Dexter mod that says 'surprise mother-effer' when you score a stealth hit.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
From my experience no but you can try it yourself but I had nothing but problems while it was running

I agree with this. It's fantastic if it's one of the only mods you want to use but it's incompatibility with so many other great mods coupled with its finicky uninstall process make it a novelty at best in my opinion.

xAlias

So, I almost died about 4 days ago, had emergency gall bladder surgery, had grandpas funeral 2 days later, doctors still trying to figure out a problem with my heart... I am pretty doped up atm. I haven't been very active here lately and it feels like I've been missing my family. But I'm back! :)

As soon as I transfer all of my files over to my new dedicated moding drive, a crucial 750 GB SSD that I was able to nab on black Friday that is...

Welp, didn't finish post till the next day so I guess I'll add a few suggestions here in the mean time. lol :)

Believe it or not, this mod has taken the place of a huge chunk of texture mods that I was using.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5488/?

Also, I have warmed up to Climates of Tamriel since they have sorted a bunch of issues.

Here are some picks with them in use...

Sorry to hear about your loss man! And get better soon.

I have been following your mods list since I use that identically and find replaying the game with it great.

Still keeping an eye on this thread and Nexus to see if most of the mods I want have been ported. Glad to see the SE has people playing Skyrim again.

Wouldn't it be great if the Witcher 3 also had Dark Souls combat? And the legend of Zelda? And Call of Duty?

I was nodding my head in agreement until I got to Call of Duty and realized you were fucking with me.

Bildi

I have Skyrim: Legendary Edition on Steam.

Whats the consensus about Skyrim + Mods vs SKSE + Mods. Worth it to spend the extra mula yet?

The standard edition has a crazy amount of mods as you no doubt know, and it's going to be a long time until SKSE is up and running on SE. The two particular things I think would be nice from SE would be the lack of z-fighting on mountains and the new water direction mechanics, but they can hardly outweight the sheer volume of awesome mods you'd be missing. Plus, with Pure Waters, I find the water is so beautifully dark and non-reflective that I rarely notice the water paths in normal edition. The lack of rain in undercover areas in SE is most welcome but Real Shelters can give you something close.

At this point in time there is zero competition from SE for me, I usually run a good 150-200 mods or so and SE just can't compete yet.

So I should not use open cities?

It's a neat mod, but any save made after installing the mod will require the mod. So if you have problems with it then you could end up potentially losing a ton of progress. I installed it a long time ago and haven't had any problems with it yet...

Chumley

Banned
The standard edition has a crazy amount of mods as you no doubt know, and it's going to be a long time until SKSE is up and running on SE. The two particular things I think would be nice from SE would be the lack of z-fighting on mountains and the new water direction mechanics, but they can hardly outweight the sheer volume of awesome mods you'd be missing. Plus, with Pure Waters, I find the water is so beautifully dark and non-reflective that I rarely notice the water paths in normal edition. The lack of rain in undercover areas in SE is most welcome but Real Shelters can give you something close.

At this point in time there is zero competition from SE for me, I usually run a good 150-200 mods or so and SE just can't compete yet.

Graphically SE is way better though. With ELFX, Verdant, SFO, and texture mods it's near Witcher 3 level sometimes. The godrays are fantastic.

Top Bottom