Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Sep 30, 2011
A lot of positivity in this thread...ahhh can't wait till Steam unlocks the game for my country (no, not about to dabble in VPN shenanigans just to play games)

I'll echo the opinions about how this game would have been that much more awesome if it had a full Cantonese audio track. With subtitles in broken English!
it's obviously for marketing reasons but man that would be awesome to have. especially in a game like stalker

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jan 29, 2008
Australia
isn't there a world density setting?

ps damn you people. australia still another 10 hours til release... tack on 2-3 for hd pack download
There is, and I have it maxed, so there's a lot of pedestrians and stuff. But the roads themselves are pretty bare.

And yeah, not sure how the AU thing is working. I pre-ordered my key from GMG, am in Melbourne, and had it unlock this morning.

Nov 10, 2011
Seattle
Biggest gripes so far are the camera, driving, and shooting. Otherwise it's a pretty fun game. Haven't touched the story much, but it seems interesting so far.

PS3 performance is pretty good, a couple of slowdowns but nothing major.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Jun 9, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Driving is perfectly fine for me. The camera seems to take a bit of getting used to.

I'm still head over heels in love with the fact that we've got Warp and Ninja Tune radio stations. I'm sorry fans of Vice City and San Andreas, but Sleeping Dogs has the best soundtrack selection possible. It wins by default.

AND a classical channel station!

Oct 11, 2009
Austin, TX
Driving is definitely not wonderful after spending some more time with it (not really up to par with SR3, and certainly not even in the same stratosphere as GTAIV).

It's easily overlooked, though.

I'm also getting the minor stuttering, though I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the camera shake effect bugging out and not with performance. I get the same thing while sprinting.

Jul 13, 2012
Driving is definitely not wonderful after spending some more time with it (not really up to par with SR3, and certainly not even in the same stratosphere as GTAIV).

It's easily overlooked, though.

I'm also getting the minor stuttering, though I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the camera shake effect bugging out and not with performance. I get the same thing while sprinting.
Yeah, the more I drive the more I don't like it. People comparing it to Saints Row are doing Saints Row a disservice. This is far worse. The upside is that it is easy to overlook. The melee is so much fun, but I need to find some of the combat upgrades.

I'd say my only complaint with the game so far is the empty road. I've had a few moments where turning around I can see only two cars active on the road. Makes the streets look barren as hell.
some people have said that there aren't enough pedestrian's in SD's HK - I have to say having been to HK many times and living there until I was 8 there are many spots in hong kong that don't have any pedestrians/cars etc - not every area in IRL is jam packed with people like the regular tourist spots like Mong Kok, Kowloon, Nathan Rd, Causeway Bay.

Also I would hazard a guess that they don't want you to mow down people like carmageddon and they tuned the amount of traffic down so it was more playable.

*and also the obligatory higher requirements needed for more traffic/peds excuse...

Aug 6, 2004
The dialogue from the two women who are always outside your dingy apartment is hilarious.

Picked this up at lunch today and I'm really digging it. Played through two missions and the first police case. I've tried to do some more of the police stuff, but the swarms of gangs are tough. I think I gotta level up my skills and health some I guess and get better at this game in general.

Sep 30, 2011
There is, and I have it maxed, so there's a lot of pedestrians and stuff. But the roads themselves are pretty bare.

And yeah, not sure how the AU thing is working. I pre-ordered my key from GMG, am in Melbourne, and had it unlock this morning.
i got it through steam a couple days ago. my preload has finished but it says "suspended"
i assume this means its waiting for the region to unlock

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Jun 9, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
about 5 hours in and while it won't receive an oscar, the story is not too bad. The combat is definitely the highlight of the game though.
For guys like me who grew up watching HK films it's great to finally have an open world game set in Hong Kong. The story is a whole mixmash of films and shows from that area, but there is definite homage to the Young & Dangerous series as well as Infernal Affairs. The great voice acting cetainly helps too.

Was getting my arse kicked a little at the start with the combat, but now that I'm unlocking things and understanding the nuances involved it's quite good.

Jul 31, 2010
Well, I've got the PC version in my hands, but I can't play it until Friday because it's arbitrarily locked until Friday on Steam. I'd have more patience if there were differences from the American version, i.e. British English spellings, but nope.

I stand somewhat corrected on the subtitles front by the post below, lol.

I'm getting a bit tired of the American city + parody formula of GTA, and SR: 3rd was *too* zany for me, so I'm looking forward to this game for the Hong Kong setting and a decent storyline - even if the gameplay itself can't be called original.

Dec 29, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Well, I've got the PC version in my hands, but I can't play it until Friday because it's arbitrarily locked until Friday on Steam. I'd have more patience if there were differences from the American version, i.e. British English spellings, but nope.
What's funny is, the game was made by UFG in Vancouver, but the subtitles use american spelling... and the in-game screens and txt on computers etc... uses british/canadian spelling. (since HK would use british english anyways)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mar 28, 2010
The constant cutting in with the random cantonese phrase is pretty goddamn disconcerting, especially seeing that I know cantonese, and it's mostly repeating the english phrase before it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jan 29, 2008
Australia
Couple of things that impressed me.

Driving around, the reflections on your car? Real time. All those neon lights reflecting on the roof of your car are accurate to the scenery around you, not a pre baked cubemap like most games use.

Secondly, seeing a bag snatcher, and the game not actually registering it as a 'mission' or anything. Despite this I chased the guy down, tackled him, picked up the handbag, and ran back to the woman who had it stolen. She recognises your action and you get a reward.

Loving little touches like this. Game fucking owns.

Jun 7, 2004
Romance spoilers but also a question

had the first date with all the girls (ping, amanda, tiffany). How do you get more dates, they don't appear in my phone

raz3r

Neo Member
Jan 15, 2012
Italy
I don't know what to do. I'd like to play this game righw now but I don't want to put Steam in offline mode till 17th. What happens if I activate the game through VPN right now and then go online as usual? Will the game be locked again? Or is there something worse?