• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. DLC Thread 2: Super Smash Bros Special Broadcast Coming in December 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosalina has actually made multiple appearences in mainline Mario games and was even playable in one so yeah, she beats the crap out of Daisy.

When Rosalina was first announced for Smash 4, I was initially excited because she looked like a really unique and technical character that also represented two of the best games Nintendo will ever make (Galaxy 1&2) but man, in the actual game she's incredibly miserable to fight. They made her stupidly good in every single way except for I guess her weight. Whenever I see her in For Glory or Tournament Mode, I honestly cringe.

Sometimes I wonder if Sakurai made her so obnoxiously good as a means to appeal to little girls that like Elsa or something.

Jawmuncher

If people are speculating 8 days until the Smash Direct...that's around the same time Star Wars : The Force Awakens releases.

If they are going for DLC that will get a big reaction/sell well (ala Cloud/ Ryu)...

...could we see Darth Vader in Smash?
People would be pretty mad, just because that would mean Disney went "you can have kingdom hearts, you can have darth Vader though". I wouldn't mind however.

I had hoped but never actually expected Rosalina to get in, so of course I was really happy when she was announced. I think Sakurai did a really good job with her as well, implementing the Luma into her moveset was a stroke of genius in my opinion - gives her something unique that also ties into her relationship with the Lumas.

Gotta say though, I do like all three Mario princesses, thought I admit that Daisy is my least favourite. Would be cool if they all got to star in a Super Princess Peach sequel together, vibes not included.

I would take a princess themed game with all three. Didn't help daisy got the shove again in Super Mario 3D land/world. Whichever one is on wiiu.

Rosalina has actually made multiple appearences in mainline Mario games and was even playable in one so yeah, she beats the crap out of Daisy.

I just want to say how much I hate this argument. Like it obvious, Rosalina got to mainline games on the Wii and more appearances. Daisy was introduced in a side game on the gameboy and lived of other spin off appearances. If Daisy had been introduced as a main character in sunshine or something it would be different. Their status isn't really comparable. One started in the mansion, the other is still living on the street.

Will never understand why people want Daisy.

And she'll never be an alt for Peach because alts are only when the moves make sense for both characters (like Olimar and Alph and the Koopalings).

It's also why Lucina, Dark Pit and Doctor Mario started out as alts. Because the moveset worked on both. (That said, Three Sacred Treasures would have been a little weird on Dark Pit.... but then again the Koopalings got the Shadow Mario Paintbrush Final Smash so I guess it wouldn't have mattered too much).

Neiteio

Sakurai likes to break his own rules, but I think he'll at least stay true to his previous statement that only characters who originated in the world of videogames will join Smash. So no Vader, no manga characters, etc.

TrueBlue

I would take a princess themed game with all three. Didn't help daisy got the shove again in Super Mario 3D land/world. Whichever one is on wiiu.

I dunno. I wouldn't say that she got the shaft as it were. If I remember correctly, the inclusion of Rosalina in 3D World was something that not many people saw coming. There wasn't really an expectation for a fifth playable character.

I'd be down for a Mario And Luigi esque Daisy + Peach + Rosalina game. Saving Mario, Luigi and.... uh... Toad. I guess. Maybe even Bowser against... someone new.

Jawmuncher

And she'll never be an alt for Peach because alts are only when the moves make sense for both characters (like Olimar and Alph and the Koopalings).

It's also why Lucina, Dark Pit and Doctor Mario started out as alts. Because the moveset worked on both. (That said, Three Sacred Treasures would have been a little weird on Dark Pit.... but then again the Koopalings got the Shadow Mario Paintbrush Final Smash so I guess it wouldn't have mattered too much).

I don't think a daisy alt for peach is a stretch. In melee each just about had a daisy alt. In brawl and 4 they just stepped back rather than going all. Like I know her chances are slim as hell but I still wouldn't mind seeing her. Waluigi and Daisy to me are the last two big Mario characters not in the game.

I dunno. I wouldn't say that she got the shaft as it were. If I remember correctly, the inclusion of Rosalina in 3D World was something that not many people saw coming. There wasn't really an expectation for a fifth playable character.

True she did have to be unlocked. Was still odd that the game put toad before another female character at all though.

There's also Alph using Olimar's ship....

I kinda hate how disconnected a lot of the alternate costumes seem to be from final smashes. Like for example, take Wireframe Little Mac, who's entirely mute outside of his unique 8-bit sound effects for Jolt Haymaker, Straight Lunge and Rising Uppercut. When he transforms into Giga Mac you suddenly hear Mac's voice again out of nowhere and he goes from being a weird wireframe apparition to a fully organic/fleshy big guy. It's really jarring.

I always liked how in Project M, Giga Bowser actually has his own set of palette swaps corresponding to Bowser's colors. They even bothered to make a Giga Dry Bowser alt.

PMDryGigaBowser.png

TrueBlue

I'd be down for a Mario And Luigi esque Daisy + Peach + Rosalina game. Saving Mario, Luigi and.... uh... Toad. I guess. Maybe even Bowser against... someone new.

Funny you mention Mario & Luigi. Along with Wario and Waluigi, I always envisioned Peach and Daisy to be good candidates for playable characters alongside the main pair. I think that'd be great to see, imagine the team attacks!

Plus, they could make some good puns - Mario and Luigi 6: Damsels of Distress?

Or Damsels of Distress Bros in Europe

TDLink

If people are speculating 8 days until the Smash Direct...that's around the same time Star Wars : The Force Awakens releases.

If they are going for DLC that will get a big reaction/sell well (ala Cloud/ Ryu)...

I don't think Star Wars in Smash is going to happen. But I'll be honest, I'd be all over Darth Vader.

I don't care so much about keeping Smash "pure" and Star Wars has had a big video game presence anyways.

But yeah...I still don't see it happening.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd rather have Toad screaming the Smash Bros name at the title screen than have Star Wars in it.

Three Sacred Treasures is part of the reason Dark Pit was made into a clone. It made no sense on DP, and for a character he created, Sakurai would obviously be a bit more picky about his representation.

The Koopalings are in an awkward spot, because you couldn't really have a "Koopalings" only slot, because they only have 7 alts, and the game requires 8. So either they'd have to make 14 or figure out something. They'd also would have to pick a Koopaling to be the "default" and I don't really know if they'd do that. Bowser Jr gives them an easy out for this, he'd obviously be the default, adds the additional skin the game requires, and allows the Koopalings to be "grounded" in a set character that's tied to them, without being lumped into a solid mass, like they are.

Now that I think about it, we have reasons for Doc and Dark Pit, but for Lucina, all we know is they added her because they had the time to. She was the first clone (although Alph was planned as a clone/semi-clone long before Lucina was), and yet her only reason ends up being "just because." While Doc was because making a vet into an alt would displease his fans, and for Dark Pit, because his Final Smash made no sense.

Village

Oh so she's Serah.,
No she's shadow.

Shes a character introduced in a game that took a bunch of folks by storm. With a simular yet different design than another character, with a slight sadder back story than normal with a cool and sort of timely design and while simular still very unorthodox for the franchise. She's very powerful immortal, and really doesnt even need the main characters to function. She is a character who has her own agency, power that everyone respects and a very cool design.

With those ingredients a new shadow was born.

Isn't unique to her, its a fairly common thing. Its the same same reason why say elsa from frozen hit so hard. Or an older example being the red hood from batman.

Its a character who's design is fitting for the franchise. But who's whole character is unique enough to draw attention to them. And in universe has their own agency.for better or for worse. For example, no one likes Ingrid from street fighter, who also fits this bill.

Bluth54

It's not a good idea to suggest a super well know, well liked character who didn't originate from videogames even though they appeared in a ton of games on Nintendo systems, the people around these parts don't like it very much.

Platy

Ah, just like the gematsu leaker "guessed" Villsger, Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer. Oh ye of little faith.

There are 387 thousand people guessing ... the chance of getting one guess right is huge.

TWO guesses by the same person is ridiculously small, so based gaffer !

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Honestly, I just think Star Wars is drivel and would be one of the worst notes to end on.

I don't even care about that videogame origin rule when it comes to this.

Neoxon

So our resident guesser was a day off. Not bad. I wouldn't be surprised if the 16th was the original plan but was changed due to Star Wars.

I don't think a daisy alt for peach is a stretch. In melee each just about had a daisy alt. In brawl and 4 they just stepped back rather than going all. Like I know her chances are slim as hell but I still wouldn't mind seeing her. Waluigi and Daisy to me are the last two big Mario characters not in the game.

Waluigi at least has some unique attributes but he's very C or even D tier. Daisy is below that. Her moves wouldn't make sense as an alt though. Vegetable pulling or Toad aren't applicable to Daisy. Even her parasol and floating ability isn't something I'd associate with Daisy.

There's also Alph using Olimar's ship....

I'd forgotten about that one, so yeah, that too.

Three Sacred Treasures is part of the reason Dark Pit was made into a clone. It made no sense on DP, and for a character he created, Sakurai would obviously be a bit more picky about his representation.

The Koopalings are in an awkward spot, because you couldn't really have a "Koopalings" only slot, because they only have 7 alts, and the game requires 8. So either they'd have to make 14 or figure out something. They'd also would have to pick a Koopaling to be the "default" and I don't really know if they'd do that. Bowser Jr gives them an easy out for this, he'd obviously be the default, adds the additional skin the game requires, and allows the Koopalings to be "grounded" in a set character that's tied to them, without being lumped into a solid mass, like they are.

Now that I think about it, we have reasons for Doc and Dark Pit, but for Lucina, all we know is they added her because they had the time to. She was the first clone (although Alph was planned as a clone/semi-clone long before Lucina was), and yet her only reason ends up being "just because." While Doc was because making a vet into an alt would displease his fans, and for Dark Pit, because his Final Smash made no sense.

I'm fairly sure those three characters were made into clones because they had time and don't take as much work as regular characters. If they didn't have the time then they would have stayed as alts. Refer to Alph having Olimar's ship as an example, if they'd had more time then Alph would have been promoted to clone as well.

I don't think when the roster was being decided on, Koopalings were considered. I imagine it was a case of Bowser Jr being picked and then when the time came to make his alts, they had the idea of the Koopalings. I don't think anyone would have been surprised if Jr just got regular recolours, and him having the other 7 alts would have been something just speculated about on forums like here.

Lucina was probably just lucky they had that time to promote her to character. They probably had to decide between Alph and Lucina and seeing as Fire Emblem is more popular than Pikmin, they went with Lucina, possibly with the intention of doing Alph if they had the time.

So our resident guesser was a day off. Not bad. I wouldn't be surprised if the 16th was the original plan but was changed due to Star Wars.

He might be right still, I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC is made available to buy on that date.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Speaking of Star Wars I am watching every movie per day until the 15th.

I'm using Machete's Order of course (4 -> 5 -> 2 -> 3 -> 6), although I squeezed in 1 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom