• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.
My SNES Classic from Target has been bouncing around the state since Friday and it's STILL not delivered. I didn't realize it was going to transfer to USPS, so now I'm expecting it to be thoroughly saturated with humidity and waterlogged with rain. :(

My SNES Classic from Target was shipped last Thursday from Arizona to CA and isn't scheduled to arrive here until Saturday, a full 9 days after it shipped. My SNES Classic form the UK was shipped AFTER the Target order and is going to arrive two days BEFORE Target gets here. It's crazy how slow it's taking a shipment from Arizona to reach CA given their proximity. I still don't understand why it's taking 9 days to get here.

Celine

Good to know Secret of Mana has realtime combat not a fan of turn based strategy so FF6 will be bottom of the list..
Don't expect a pure action RPG like Quintet's games (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma).
It's more like a realtime ATB battle system where you can't really dodge spells thrown against you.

I'm still not convinced the Yoshi's Island thing is anti-seizure. To see what Nintendo's anti-seziure stuff usually looks like, set off a smart bomb in Contra 3.

Is there a list somewhere of which SNES Classic games have anti-seizure stuff in them? If nothing else I'm gonna hack mine to turn that shit off. Yoshi's Island never gave me any trouble before but I do not like the sound of whatever is happening now that people are talking about. I'd much rather just replace any of the "fixed" games with normal ROMs.

MrMephistoX

Yeah. If anything, the effect on the SNES mini is harsher than the original. Once mine shows up, I'm gonna dump the ROM out and run it through BSNES to double check. I know that renders it a lot closer.

The anti seizure seems to not apply to roms or just didn’t exist on the Snes Classic...play the first level of GI Joe with all the lightning strikes it’s trippy.

RAIDEN1

Well my first point of call RPG wise would be Zelda, then I'd check out probably Secret of Mana along the way....never been a fan of final fantasy so that is not of immediate attention.

Even after haxchi is released, I'm not going to touch it for awhile... I'm afraid once I do, my Classic will become just another 'gadget' to tinker with. It's like every time I have the urge to play Skyrim, I'll reinstall it, spend 3 hours tinkering with addons, then play for 15 minutes before I quit playing.

Right now it's just turn on, play game... and even then I'm intentionally making myself only play 2-3 games at a time (1 RPG, 1-2 secondary games) so I don't get overwhelmed, play every game for 5 minutes, then lose interest cause I can't focus on a single game or goal.

It's one of the reasons I'm enjoying the Classic thread we have going, with a set goal and time limit even if I completely blew through the first one on the first day :)

Well my first point of call Action-Adventure wise would be Zelda, then I'd check out probably Secret of Mana along the way....never been a fan of final fantasy so that is not of immediate attention.

FTFY.

sotojuan

only difference is you move around. the physical attack combat is cooldown-based.

It's interesting how just being able to move makes people think a game is not turn based (ATB style). You can't just hack on stuff in SoM whenever you want like in action games.

ARRIVED! ...but I got called into work early, so I won’t be able to play it tonight. Posted a snap about it before heading out, and now I’m texting my mom during break (who saw the snap) about how much fun we use to have together playing these games. I’ll have to make room in my suitcase to bring this home for Christmas, relive some memories.

Oh awesome! Just got a backorder notification email from Walmart from my 8/22 order (Walmart.com anticipated delivery date of tomorrow).

"If we can't ship the items by 11/30, we'll cancel the items, begin processing your refund and let you know by email."

I'm hoping that's just a form letter because fuck!

That's ridiculous. I'm expecting the same thing from my 8/22 order as well... only a matter of time.

CLEEK

Where’s the best place to pick up an extension lead or two?

I’m in Australia, so I’d prefer not to wait weeks for amazon.

The only place I found that had them in stock was eBay, but I got mine from an AU based seller. This was back when I preordered the mini.

I saw that my local JB had NES Classic branded extension cables last weekend. They'll work, they're the same thing.

Darktalon

I already had an 8Bitdo SNES controller, but the lack of a way back to the menu has convinced me to buy the wireless receiver just so i can do the Select + Down shortcut.

TeeEffGee

Neo Member
My SNES Classic from Target was shipped last Thursday from Arizona to CA and isn't scheduled to arrive here until Saturday, a full 9 days after it shipped. My SNES Classic form the UK was shipped AFTER the Target order and is going to arrive two days BEFORE Target gets here. It's crazy how slow it's taking a shipment from Arizona to reach CA given their proximity. I still don't understand why it's taking 9 days to get here.

Same. Just got on to say that I just received my PAL SNES Classic from Amazon UK, two days before my Walmart preorder is scheduled to arrive. Weird world of shipping man.

TheMoon

It's interesting how just being able to move makes people think a game is not turn based (ATB style). You can't just hack on stuff in SoM whenever you want like in action games.

something I completely ignored as a kid in SoM or never actually actively acknowledged and at the very best subconsciously adapted to by focusing on charged attacks at some point which reduced my spamminess.

The only place I found that had them in stock was eBay, but I got mine from an AU based seller. This was back when I preordered the mini.

I saw that my local JB had NES Classic branded extension cables last weekend. They'll work, they're the same thing.

Thanks!, I'll have a look around.

*Edit* Found them, they're a bit steep but I'm desperate, I'll see if my local store has some on my way home from work

Extension lead @ JBHIFI

mrk8885

Banned
I already had an 8Bitdo SNES controller, but the lack of a way back to the menu has convinced me to buy the wireless receiver just so i can do the Select + Down shortcut.

It’s pretty fantastic. My order for a second retro receiver just shipped!

Celine

I believe the impression of being action-based and the coop multiplayer are the main reasons why Nintendo chose it over Chrono Trigger despite the latter being a much more critically acclaimed RPG.

rothgar

Just got an email from Walmart saying my 8/22 preorder is on backorder but the 8/25 preorder has already shipped. Walmart goofed again.

Well so much for "regular" reoccurring weekly shipments to retailers for this thing. Just called my local Target and they aren't expecting their next shipment until October 26th which should be arriving in the morning and getting offloaded from the truck and into the store at 3AM. But they will only be getting 8. The employee I spoke to said that might be 8 boxes and not 8 units but I'm not getting my hopes up if the NES Classic restocks were any indication.

Guess that is still better than no restocks. If I don't have one by then guess I'll be that crazy guy lined up at Target before they open at 8AM that morning like I should have just done on launch day. :)

Is there a list somewhere of which SNES Classic games have anti-seizure stuff in them? If nothing else I'm gonna hack mine to turn that shit off. Yoshi's Island never gave me any trouble before but I do not like the sound of whatever is happening now that people are talking about. I'd much rather just replace any of the "fixed" games with normal ROMs.

So far I’ve noticed these:

- Contra 3: power bombs, enemy hit flashes, end explosion flashes.
- Kirby Superstar: Flashes at title screen are removed.
- Zelda 3: Flashes at title screen are toned down.
- Mario Kart: Lightning strike item no longer causes a flash.
- DKC: Squawks flashlight no longer flashes when turning around.

There may be many others...

RRockman

Banned
So guys, I got a standard ups tracking number emailed to me with an estimated delivery time of this thursday!!!

giphy.gif

Robin64

Yeah. If anything, the effect on the SNES mini is harsher than the original. Once mine shows up, I'm gonna dump the ROM out and run it through BSNES to double check. I know that renders it a lot closer.

Okay, so. The Yoshi's Island ROM on the SNES Mini is identical to the 1.1 US ROM out there. There's a patch that gets loaded into memory when it's launched, but the ROM itself is untouched.

I'm currently trying to launch YI without the patch, but not having much luck.

Games I plan to add:

-Chrono Trigger (patched with DS translation if it exists)

Nooooooo the original translation is the best! Frog loses so much of his personality in the DS version. Even if his manner of speech doesn't fit with the time period, I like to think it's a personal quirk of his.

So far I've noticed these:

The Earthbound PSI effects are less intense, and now there's a blurry effect on screen whenever there's a SMAAAASH attack. It's...annoying.

tesla246

So far I’ve noticed these:

Possibly Star Fox; nova bomb effect looks different maybe due to that

suplex

Walmart 8-22 order just got the backorder email.

At least they're giving it till the end of November before they cancel.

TheMoon

aren't all of these seizure adjustments just the same fixes that we already saw in the VC re-releases? they all sound very familiar. (100% DKC and EB)

Blizzard

Banned
The Target preorder finally got delivered. For anyone else with a Target order, was your box shrink-wrapped? Mine didn't have any wrapping on it and I could just open it immediately, but it seems intact.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The Target preorder finally got delivered. For anyone else with a Target order, was your box shrink-wrapped? Mine didn't have any wrapping on it and I could just open it immediately, but it seems intact.
That's how they all are regardless of where you get it from.

Vitet

So I got my second SNES Mini today, did two preorders just in case

it's a gift for my brother

Regarding wanted games missing, my first thoughts are Chrono Trigger and the 3 Butoden games.

Was any reason given as to why you have to beat the first level of Star Fox to unlock SF2? Is it just because SF2 is a possibly incomplete game (as in not smoothed out) and they don't want people getting the wrong idea about the series?

Was any reason given as to why you have to beat the first level of Star Fox to unlock SF2? Is it just because SF2 is a possibly incomplete game (as in not smoothed out) and they don't want people getting the wrong idea about the series?

IMO it’s because Starfox 2 assumes you’ve already mastered the basics of Starfox 1. If you jump into Starfox 2 without ever having played the first, you’re not going to enjoy it.

overcast

So when the mod comes what are some recommendations? I feel like I've played a good amount. I do want to replay DKC2, possibly that spider man beat em up and Sunset Riders?

Did DKC3 age well? That's the one I've played least.

DonMigs85

So when the mod comes what are some recommendations? I feel like I've played a good amount. I do want to replay DKC2, possibly that spider man beat em up and Sunset Riders?

DKC3 is good with inventive stages and clever boss fights. Better than DKC1 IMO

I prefer it to DKC2 just for the sidequests and overworld exploration. DKC2 has arguably better level design/music but DKC3 is a bit more accessible.

Blizzard

Banned

Turtles in Time is the big one I want to get eventually if I can eBay a cart. I played Sunset Riders with a friend's SNES once and it was hard as heck, not as fun as TMNT.

Freddo

I ordered two SNES Classic Mini, one from two different places. Got one of them on thursday last week, but the other one? The postal service haven't updated it's status for 5 days now. So either it's stuck there in the distribution center somewhere, or some postal employee stole it? Gonna wait some more and see what happens.

overcast

DKC3 is good with inventive stages and clever boss fights. Better than DKC1 IMO

I prefer it to DKC2 just for the sidequests and overworld exploration. DKC2 has arguably better level design/music but DKC3 is a bit more accessible.
Wow, then 3 is a no brainer. DKC2 is probably one of my favorites of all time so I'll grab that.
Turtles in Time is the big one I want to get eventually if I can eBay a cart. I played Sunset Riders with a friend's SNES once and it was hard as heck, not as fun as TMNT.
Somehow forgot about Turtles in Time.

Azuardo

Anyone know the inputs to get the different coloured costumes in SF2 Turbo? I've tried looking around online for the actual buttons, but I keep getting light blue Ryu every time I select him in Turbo mode, whilst he stays default white on Normal mode.

I'm sure there are multiple alt colour options, or am I wrong? It'd be nice to have a proper list of the colours and buttons to use when selecting on the character select screen, but I'm only finding ones for Super SF2 and other later versions, nothing for SNES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom