• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So looks like retail Bayonetta 2 is starting to go out of print...

Yeah, I noticed them out when I was at some of the usual electronics spots over the last week or so. Thankfully seem to have found some copies at a target a little out the way, but think I'll pick it up now instead of waiting any longer.

Strike

I learned my lesson after what happened with Ocarina of Time 3D. Picked them both up last month at Best Buy even without owning the consoles
yet.

I should have hit "buy" a few weeks ago, but I held off with all the christmas gifts I was buying for relatives.

Ended up having to buy a used copy after Christmas :/

BasilZero

Bought Bayonetta 2 last month.

Price matched at Best buy when Gamestop was selling it for $35.

Lucky too cause it was one of two last copies in my city lol.

What are the titles beside Bayonetta 2, that is facing OOP issue?

I just got my Wii U few months ago. I will need to get them ASAP if this is the case =/

The following are hard to find sealed at retail, off the top of my head:

Wii Sports Club
Game and Wario
Bayonetta
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
New Super Luigi U
Wind Waker (reprinted with different cover art)
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Tank Tank Tank (GameStop has reprints but sealed copies are still tough to find)
Tekken Tag 2

There are also some bundles that are getting tough as well such as the Smash Bundle.

Last, a lot of the third party shovel ware titles are getting tough to find like.

Hello Kitty
Phineas and Ferb
Turbo Super Stunt Squad
Walking Dead

There are others but this is just what comes to mind immediately.

Kouriozan

*hugs his First Print Edition"
At this point, everyone who wanted it already bought the game, but I guess Smash is great for marketing some IPs.

Got a copy last Sunday night already noticed the prices going up checked a few Gamestop's on the way back home from visited family over the Holidays and I kept seeing "used" copies on the website except one Gamestop 30 miles from my house but on the way back home. Called they said they had a new copy. Was really excited at this point go in there and they have 3 brand new no seriously actually shrink wrapped copies and I got the warranty and used a gamestop gift card that a friend gave a few months back that I didn't use yet. So i walked out of Gamestop with Bayonetta 1+2 brand new without being hassled for pre-orders and minor chit chat about the wii u and it's games with 2 of the employees (bonus one was a really hot guy) and only paying $22 I think I did good.

t26

Wii Sports Club
Game and Wario
Bayonetta
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
New Super Luigi U
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Tank Tank Tank (GameStop has reprints but sealed copies are still tough to find)
Tekken Tag 2

There are also some bundles that are getting tough as well such as the Smash Bundle.

Last, a lot of the third party shovel ware titles are getting tough to find like.

Hello Kitty
Phineas and Ferb
Turbo Super Stunt Squad
Walking Dead

Super lungi is in the 2 pack

fernoca

As noted, the digital prices vary.
Individually are like that, but when you buy one you get a discount in the other.

Buy Bayonetta at $30 = Bayonetta 2 is discounted to $30

Buy Bayonetta 2 at $50 = Bayonetta is discounted to $10

And sorry, but no "WTF NoA". :p
Like Metroid Prime Trilogy and many other Nintendo games, barely noone bought copies of the first shipment, which caused copies to be lowered in price and even put on clearance because stores just wanted to get rid of them.

So now, they're finally out of inventory.
So it should be "WTF gamers" for not buying enough to sell the first shipment and "WTF retailers" because they won't bother on ordering more.

Watch the same (to probably) happen to some like Codename STEAM, by the end of 2016. :p

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Wii Sports Club
Game and Wario
Bayonetta
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
New Super Luigi U
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Tekken Tag 2

Hello Kitty
Phineas and Ferb
Turbo Super Stunt Squad
Walking Dead

I just checked Wii Sports Club. It cost USD$100. Wow.

I have just added Tank Tank Tank and Wonderful 101. New Super Luigi U shouldn't be a problem as I will be getting the compilation version (w/NSMBU). I believe I have seen Wind Waker U/Tekken/Warrior Orochi in a store near my house.

My original plan was to get Splatoon this month. But I guess I'll have to take a rain check for that.

SalvaPot

I just checked Wii Sports Club. It cost USD$100. Wow.

I have just added Tank Tank Tank and Wonderful 101. New Super Luigi U shouldn't be a problem as I will be getting the compilation version (w/NSMBU). I believe I have seen Wind Waker U/Tekken/Warrior Orochi in a store near my house.

My original plan was to get Splatoon this month. But I guess I'll have to take a rain check for that.

Funny since Wii Sport Club retailed for $40 and it was a stealth release and no one wanted it since it was a retail release of a free to start digital game. Oh how times have changed. I am fairly sure you can still find W101 cheap (Around $30), but get it anyway since the game is freaking great.

It's one of those games that if you're interested in it and haven't bought it already, what are you waiting for?

Money. It seems like a lot of people on here forget that broke people exist. I often see comments like this like two days ago when the Super Mario ReMaker demo release was announced and someone said "I think the only people who would get this are those who aren't interested enough to get a Wii U just for Maker", when there is the very plausible option of gamers might want something they don't have to spend money on.

SalvaPot

It seems that only the US versions are rising in price.

PAL versions seem decently priced in comparison.

Scalper culture is heavy on the US, nowadays even more since Amiibo put Nintendo in the spotlight as a fanbase willing to pay top dollar for scarce Nintendo products. Same thing happened with Devil Third.

Unicorn

This made me check inventories of store around me. A lot of the non Mario games are just extinct now. Don't want to go digital on Wii U. It's like Nintendo has crafted it's own narrative about piracy in their lack of inventory on shelves.

Funny since Wii Sport Club retailed for $40 and it was a stealth release and no one wanted it since it was a retail release of a free to start digital game. Oh how times have changed. I am fairly sure you can still find W101 cheap (Around $30), but get it anyway since the game is freaking great.

Yea, W101 is kinda weird. It's been OOP for a while but it's still readily available in a lot of area's due to the number of copies originally released and the bomba sales. Since it's widely considered OOP and may be tough to find in brick and mortar locations I went ahead and listed it. Shouldn't be a difficult find online though.

Just glad I was early on these titles so I don't have to track them down later. Going to be some pretty difficult Wii U games to track down for some in the future.

And the ridiculous thing is that it went OoP barely a year after. I don't think Pikmin 3 ever got anything more than its launch print run.

Yea, it only seemed to get one print run. A lot of people are quick to blame Nintendo for these games being OOP, but you have to remember the Wii U was selling horribly and retailers were likely not interested in restocking older games that took them nearly a year to sell their initial shipments of, especially as a lot of them were shrinking the shelf space given to Wii U at that time. That of course led Nintendo not to do any further print runs and be even more conservative with future titles initial print runs.

the context is that you said there wasn't interest.

1.35 million copies is "interest" regardless of price point. Should really put the goalposts where you want them to begin with.

The point, which I thought was fairly obvious, is that there is little interest for a game like Bayonetta at the $60 price point. Which is why Bayonetta last generation was only able to garner a million sales across two platforms with steep discounts and why Bayonetta 2 has likely only sold a few hundred thousand units on Wii U, with only a handful of sales at retail and no official price reduction.

It survived like three rounds of Wii U shelf shrinkage at target...at least locally but I read online the same was happening in other places too.

Umm. Actually considering half the Wii U aisle was Wii games the Wii U section actually is close to the same space. It's the 3DS that really lost.

I mean a Target near me still had one copy of The Wonderful 101.

There are also tons of discount Wii U games in the clearance section like Jeopardy, the Croods, etc. So it's not space as much as Nintendo not printing a lot. I mean I was able to get another copy of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U for $10 two months ago. That game is $40 new now.

Umm. Actually considering half the Wii U aisle was Wii games the Wii U section actually is close to the same space. It's the 3DS that really lost.

I mean a Target near me still had one copy of The Wonderful 101.

There are also tons of discount Wii U games in the clearance section like Jeopardy, the Croods, etc. So it's not space as much as Nintendo not printing a lot. I mean I was able to get another copy of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U for $10 two months ago. That game is $40 new now.

Seems like you may be lucky to have those titles near you. Retailers have been trying to dump most of their Wii U stock for some time and they definitely aren't ordering more once they do sell out. Since retailers mostly aren't interested in restocking the majority of the games Nintendo isn't printing more.

We're probably going to see more and more mid-tier Nintendo games receiving small print runs in the future, now that the eShop is a thing.

We're probably going to see more and more mid-tier Nintendo games receiving small print runs in the future, now that the eShop is a thing.

Yeah and considering the retail boxes are bare bones as it is and barely go on sale, might as well start buying digitally more often..

Yep, this was why I decided to start collecting sooner rather than later like I had on previous gens. With the eShop Nintendo know they can be conservative with print runs and still sell copies on the eShop. It's a side effect from digital store fronts for sure.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They'll reprint it for a limited Bayonetta Amiibo bundle.

Koppai

Probably has more to do with retailers not providing enough shelf space for WiiU titles these days, likely not cost effective to continue production.

I own the game, but crushed by the weight of my own backlog.
We have two four foot sections at my Best Buy for Wii U and one for 3DS. :/

Top Bottom