• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Pokémon Is 15 Years Old Today

EmCeeGramr said:
Scyther is still the coolest.
eGvlOl.jpg

qGtuUl.jpg

The 3rd gen did give us some good things ...
DMMStl.jpg

WglhJl.jpg

But it IS the gen that almost made me stop playing Pokemon all together. I hated a lot of what they did and most all the designs that gen.

4th gen got me back on track.
RXjjWl.jpg

And the 5th gen looks like its gonna top all of them in my book.
ijgKil.jpg

FkCutl.jpg

SKsTWl.jpg

apana

Designs for Pokemon became more abstract as time went forward, which made me lose interest. I just want it to be cute animals like in the first gen. Also, stealth art thread?

illadelph

Pokemon was the best marketed thing ever...... the games, the show, the cards, holy shit. They should have definitely made a console RPG. Everyone I knew wanted it. Instead we got Stadium and (admittedly awesome) Snap.

And for the record, Blaistoise is the best.

Magnus

Today's the 27th, not the 15th. I don't get it.

But yeah, thanks for the memories Pokémon. Played like crazy from '98 through 2001. Gold and Silver were the perfect sequels.

Squirtle -> Wartortle -> Blastoise or bust. Best starter, hands down!

I wish the last few gens of the games had the creative designs and names of the original first few gens of Pokémon.

Red

I completely skipped R/S/E, never had any interest in them. It's the only generation I haven't touched.

qq more

Third gen was okay, it felt really weird for some reason though. Although, I'll have to give it credit for getting me back into Pokemon. (At least Emerald did it for me. :))

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Been playing Pokemon since 98. Only skipped Ruby/Saphire. I had so much fun as a kid with these gems. Had a fucking blast.

Loved the shit out of the show in it's first few seasons too. But I got tired of Ash's bullshit and the extremely repetitiveness of every episode and stopped watching midway through Johto.

El Sloth

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
and octillery owns but i still don't understand this:

http://i.imgur.com/BPo5P.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Fuck yes. You are a man with taste.

But yeah I have no fucking clue what's going on with remoriad->Octillery

Confused the fuck outta me as a child

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its interesting how much of a force it still is among kids. I mean, the card game is a shadow of its former self, and the TV show isn't nearly as popular, but the games and just the franchise in general are still huge among my younger sister and her friends.

Satch

Banned
Pidgeot and Blastoise always led my teams when I played Pokemon.

X-Wing and Poseidon helped me dominate the Elite Four. :D

El Sloth

Banned
Altazor said:
http://i.imgur.com/UzoE0.jpg[/IMG

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BITCHES

I'M GONNA STUFF MYSELF WITH MY INFINITE RARE CANDIES LOLZ[/QUOTE]
I'm gonna go catch some Pokegods and fuck up Pokeblu.

Biff

how 2 beat all the kidz @ skewl (4 gr.5 or up)

1. chooz squirtel
2. make a blastois
3. teahc it dig
4. olololol

I probably read and re-read the Nintendo Power article about Pocket Monsters and then the issues of Pokémon Power over a hundred times. I was beyond hyped for Red & Blue.

My Lvl. 100 Gloom salutes this topic.

xeSUL.gif

PokéKong

Does anyone else remember the days when you would read a millions of increasingly intricate and convoluted ways to catch Mew in R/B? Or Pikablu.

250px-183Pikablu.png

Izayoi

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Its interesting how much of a force it still is among kids. I mean, the card game is a shadow of its former self, and the TV show isn't nearly as popular, but the games and just the franchise in general are still huge among my younger sister and her friends.
Eh? The card game actually sells far more now than it used to. The show's ratings also remain incredibly strong.

If anything, the franchise as a whole is much further reaching than when it was in its "heyday".

Netto-kun

This thread reminds me that I need to play White and beat the 8th gym. And I am still waiting for the next Pokémon Pinball game!

survivor

Banned
Izayoi said:
I need to organize my Pokemon images. Can't find shit, captain.

http://www.abload.de/img/untitledy7fa.png[img][/QUOTE]
Aw man I thought that wafku folder said waifu. Now I'm disappointed. And how do you have so many pokemanz pictures.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Izayoi said:
Eh? The card game actually sells far more now than it used to. The show's ratings also remain incredibly strong.

If anything, the franchise as a whole is much further reaching than when it was in its "heyday".
Really? Sources for those claims? Very cool if true.

Izayoi

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Righteous Ruby and Superlative Sapphire. Calling it right now.
Radiant Ruby and Sublime Sapphire.

Poll time, what's everyone's favorite Pokemon.

Mine is Mawile.

3008089qm3a.jpg

Credo

I still remember being extremely pissed after spending 2 days in Pokemon Red's Safari Zone trying to catch a Tauros and failing miserably every time I encountered it. To this day, I've never had more trouble catching any pokemon. It didn't matter how many rocks I threw at it or how many pieces of bait I used. Nothing ever worked.

Neki

Don't tell me that Butterfree picture is true. :(

Blue is still my favourite of all time, I busted it out the other day and raped, rofl.

Hug-Dealer

Neo Member
PokéKong said:
Does anyone else remember the days when you would read a millions of increasingly intricate and convoluted ways to catch Mew in R/B? Or Pikablu.

250px-183Pikablu.png

Oh wow. I remember the pikablu rumor.

I remember someone told me that you had to level up a Pikachu to 100 and trade it with the little girl in the pewter city museum. Supposedly her father was a rich pokemon collector who captured mew behind the museum.

Credo said:
I still remember being extremely pissed after spending 2 days in Pokemon Red's Safari Zone trying to catch a Tauros and failing miserably every time I encountered it. To this day, I've never had more trouble catching any pokemon. It didn't matter how many rocks I threw at it or how many pieces of bait I used. Nothing ever worked.
My friend begged my to trade him my Tauros so he could finish his Pokédex. He had a lot of trouble with the Safari Zone too.

I only let him borrow it though, he had to trade it back.

Akira

Emerald was my introduction to Pokemon. That game was amazing, I put almost 200 hours into that game because I also started to IV train my Pokemon and build up a battle team. I also spent hours on the boat trying to catch Feebas.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I felt dirty making level 255 Pokemon in G/S with a gameshark. Demolished this kid so bad with them that he went and bought a gameshark for himself after catching on. It was so worth it though. Damn him and his Pokemon card bragging. A shame that the level 255 go to level 0 with any xp you get.

To this day I've only played maybe an hours' worth of Pokemon. Played a friend's copy of Blue when it first came out, but didn't see the appeal. It's crazy how it took off though.

Platy

First generation was the best for me ... but those gameboy sprites for most pokemon are insanely ugly =P

also

Magnus

Altazor said:
I hope it is, since it's the only fucking way that evolution chain makes any sense.

I don't understand what's up with that evolution pic. Just looks like some of the sprites are swapped? The Venomoth and the Butterfree that is.

Izayoi

Banned
survivor said:
Aw man I thought that wafku folder said waifu. Now I'm disappointed. And how do you have so many pokemanz pictures.
My waifu is Shana, whose folder you can observe a little further up.

As for the amount of images, too much time on 4chan, I guess (this was before the days of /vp/). It just sort of accumulates. You download an archive here, a torrent there, and before you know it you've got gigs of stuff.

The_Technomancer said:
Really? Sources for those claims? Very cool if true.
I remember reading something a while ago about the TV ratings. I'll see if I can find it again.

As far as the card game claim, I'm only repeating what I hear from all of the hobby/card shops I go to. I'm really good friends with one owner in particular who has been running his store for almost fifteen years now, and that's pretty much what he said verbatim.

Apparently it has to do with the audience growing up, but still sticking to game. As a result, you've got people with more than just a weekly allowance looking to buy cards, and that only means good things for business.

Top Bottom