• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Smash Bros. fans who have seen the new Pokémon -- which ones could be a NEWCOMER?

Charizard in Smash represents the first generation and FR/LG. Just because a mega form exists for him, doesn't mean he will use it, and the complications of balancing him having a different final smash than Ivysaur or Squirtle wouldn't really work.

Lucario is "fine" moveset wise and already has a final smash (that isn't based on anything in Pokemon).

It's pretty evident from what we've seen that Sakurai doesn't make drastic changes to characters.lightly. We've already seen an entirely unchanged Sonic and Toon Link, the latter many people were confident wasn't even coming back.

I really doubt the Pokemon Company is some unrelenting force of pure marketing that this thread seems to believe. For Smash it isn't all marketing, and I'm sure if Sakurai isn't comfortable making every single Pokemon that appears in the game turn into a god as one of their moves, he doesn't have to.

Think about Pichu or Jigglypuff's final smash. If Pokemon company was really calling all the shots with a vice grip of marketing, why have Pichu as a joke clone character and Jigglypuff's final smash not based on anything from the game or cartoon. It's literally just making her bigger...

It's really weird. No other smash bros people were so quick to assume they'd drop everything for the new generation of Pokemon, and yet for some reason here we are with everyone that exists being mega and entire movesets reworked for marketing.

RomanceDawn

I have a feeling Lucario and Mewtwo will both get alternate Mega Costumes. Maybe they'll be incorporated into their final Smash when they blow everyone away. What ever the case, something Mega will be showcased in their move set one way or another. Reverting back to normal afterward is such a none issue anyway. The Pokemon company isn't that strict apparently when you really look at everything presented in Smash so far.

This whole "Mega is a FS" thing is soo boring and unoriginal.

Maybe I would have agreed back when it was reveal and it seemed stupid to me. But it's become clear that this is a new major feature to the Pokemon Series and it seems like GF would want it to be something more than a passing attack that many wont even see if they don't use smash balls.

The way I see it ...

All of Brawls CHARACTERS come back.
But ..
PT only has Charizard. PT can choose to either play with reg Charizard or Mega X or Mega Y Char before the match. X is heavier, less mobile BUT has more/ better melee attacks (maybe Dragon claw / tail or Outrage). Y is the opposite (lighter/ more mobile/ more ranged).

Lucario is just Mega Lucario. No 2 move-sets or anything, just turn Brawl Lucario in Mega as the default ... update his move-set I guess.

Bring back Mewtwo as either Reg Mewtwo or Mega Mewtwo Y (OR make him like Charizard in that he can pick a mega before battle)

New Pokemon ...
If they wanna add a Pokemon that's never been in any smash that's relevant to XY the I think it's either ...
Mega Blaziken. He's right along side Lucario as the co-poster boy for Megas and Like Charizard he's getting special treatment. Mewtwo is THE Poster boy though and Charizard has come up right beside him as being the only 2 Pokemon with 2 megas/ having animes about their megas. But Mega Blaziken is going to be in the cartoon along side Mega Lucario.

or Sylveon. It's ribbon feelers can hold items. it's currently the only new XY Pokemon getting special treatment other than the Megas.

There. my attempt at keeping the number of move-sets and Pokemon low but repping the new series.
PT replaces his 2 other Pokemon with Mega Chars that can all have their own move-sets (like Samus), Mewtwo comes back as either it's original self/ mega y form or with the same mechanic as Charizard, Lucario just comes back as mega Lucario and either Mega Blaze of Sylveon gone in as the soul "not in smash before" Pokemon.

NMFried

It's simple.
PT stays the same.
Lucario stays the same.
Jiggly returns.
Mewtwo returns and gets his megas as a FS.

Come on guys, they didn't retool Toon Link to fit WW or PH, don't expect a major overhaul.

NMFried

I assume you mean Spirit Tracks, and thank god. Both those games should be retconned to save Toon Link's grace.

Well technically ST Link is a different Link, so I mostly meant adding elements from WW and PH into his moveset, which they didn't aside from art style.

Think about Pichu or Jigglypuff's final smash. If Pokemon company was really calling all the shots with a vice grip of marketing, why have Pichu as a joke clone character and Jigglypuff's final smash not based on anything from the game or cartoon. It's literally just making her bigger...

Pichu is literally the weakest electric Pokemon in the games and it's dex entry says it can shock its self when doing electric moves.

Jpuff's fs? IDK, just seems like FS is more wiggle room.

Well yeah, me too. I'm just saying that we should ground our expectations in terms of character overhaul. We can only hope that at least Ganondorf gets it.
Eh, we know they've already replaced two of Pit's specials and given him a few new regular attacks that incorporate Uprising weapons (and if Palutena gets in he'll definitely have to get a new Final Smash), while Bowser also seems to have a lot of new A moves along with new animations. Luigi also seems to have some newer stuff like his flutter jump from Luigi U as part of his animations.

It's a bummer TL so far seems identical to how he was in Brawl, but I don't think we have enough evidence to suggest every other clone won't be messed with if they're already dramatically moving original movesets around.

TheUnsane1

Neo Member
My never going to happen idea is:
Pokemon Trainer X/Y
Pokemon 1:
Chesnaut
(Ganondorf Replacement play style)
Pokemon 2:
Delphox
(Zelda Replacement play style)
Pokemon 3:
Greninja
(Sheik Replacement play style)

I mostly want this so we can get Toon Zelda instead while still having options for traditional Zelda's play style.

More realistic choice: Blaziken/Mega Blaziken (dat muay thai!)

Makai

You realize pit is entirely based off his appearance in Uprising now right? And I'm pretty sure that the pokemon team had mega mewtwo's design for quite some time before we've seen it, it's completely believable it'd show up in smash.

Uprising came out before development of Smash 4 started. Pokemon X and Y did not.

Village

Come on guys, they didn't retool Toon Link to fit WW or PH, don't expect a major overhaul.

That all depends on GF. Though the most i see game freak asking for is use the mega models.

And maybe give pokemon trainer a new final smash. They aren't that difficult.

Top Bottom