• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what's the best game in the Ghost 'N Goblins series?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GhostsnGoblins_flyer.jpg

Timeline from Wikipedia

So what say you GAF? What's the best game in Capcom's long running Ghost 'N Goblins series? The original arcade game? The Super Nintendo entry? Maybe you prefer a portable entry like Ultimate on the PSP?

What would you say is the best game in the series?

Eolz

Psp game, easily, especially if you can get the japanese only release (just after ultimate in the timeline in your pic).

Thaedolus

The arcade version of Ghosts n Goblins is amazing but I think I prefer the double jump and level design of Super Ghouls n Ghosts. Not a huge fan of Ghouls n Ghosts, but I'll never get rid of my Saturn port of these amazing games

TreIII

My answer: Demon's Crest

But if only the mainstream games count: Ultimate GnG. Especially the JP-only update which comes with an extra mode that makes it plays just like a classic GnG.

Robin64

Super Ghouls n Ghosts is the most fun to just play, I think, but if we're including the Firebrand spinoffs then Gargoyles Quest II on the NES is where it's at. The notion of a platformer RPG was so alien to me but I fell in love with it right away. Perfectly tight controls helped.

Have to admit, though, I haven't heard of half the titles on that timeline. Were many of them Japan only?

Knuf

Ghost'n'Goblins >>> Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts > Gokumakaimura Kai >>> Maximo 1 & 2 > Demon's Crest.
Amazing series, wish it were still alive. ;_;

Many will disagree I expect, but Super Ghouls N' Ghosts is my favourite. It marries extremely distinct aesthetics per level with challenging but fair gameplay. The addition of the double-jump adds a lot to the gameplay for me.

That's not to say its predecessor Ghouls N' Ghosts is in any way bad. It's a brilliantly-designed game.

Ian

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for me. Amazing game.

I never played the PSP game so I can't compare :(

Oneself

Personally, my favorite is the PSP game followed by Super Ghouls n' Ghosts.
Too bad there will never be an HD port/remaster or sequel to it. Terrific game and still really beautiful visually.

Best non-traditional is Maximo 2 and the original. Both are excellent, underrated games.

maxcriden

I don't like the art style. Then in Maximo I like it better but the gratuitous scantily-clad women and damsel-in-distress trope is blegh.

Either Gargoyle's Quest 1 or 2 to me, but then they are some of my favourite Capcom games in general too. Not counting those, I played Super Ghouls n' Ghosts the most.

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts for me. I also think it'd be a great introduction to the series.

It's a gorgeous game, fun as hell and not AS viciously asshole hard as the first one for example. Let's not forget how amazing the soundtrack was for this one as well.

ElFly

Super is the best one.

GBA version of Super would be even better, but framerate, music and a smaller screen kills it.

Bazry

The arcade version of Ghosts n Goblins is amazing but I think I prefer the double jump and level design of Super Ghouls n Ghosts. Not a huge fan of Ghouls n Ghosts, but I'll never get rid of my Saturn port of these amazing games

Is that one of the Capcom Collection games that came out in Japan? I so nearly bought that a while ago, this thread is now making me wish I had

Thaedolus

Is that one of the Capcom Collection games that came out in Japan? I so nearly bought that a while ago, this thread is now making me wish I had

Yeah, the arcade ports are perfect and the SGnG port is very good (though I'd default to the SNES version if I had it hooked up).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was expecting nostalgia to win here by a mile, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see that some many people vote UGNG. That's my vote too, the game is simply amazing. Love playing it on Vita where it doesn't look anywhere near as motion-blurry due to oled screen too. Still one of the best looking 2.5D games.

Honorable mention - C64 version of Ghouls and Ghosts for the fantastically ghoul-ish soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjKPvk4rnw&t=3m58s

This. Gokumakaimura Kai is absolutely amazing.
Tell me more about it - what are the benefits?

I enjoy the entire series, it's hard to pick one favourite! I'd probably be tempted to pick ghouls n ghosts just because it seems like the most balanced of the games - definitely the easiest in my opinion plus the special weapon needed to clear the second run of the game is actually decent, compared to the almost useless cross in the original gng.

That said, the Kai release of the psp game is amazing as well, so much better than the original psp version of he game. It does an excellent job of rebalancing the difficulty plus gets rid of the terrible gold rings fetch quest the original game required to get e best ending, now you just need to clear the game twice as per all previous gng games.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Got to go with Ghosts 'n Goblins. Nothing beats the experience the original brought.

Top Bottom