• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what's the best game in the Ghost 'N Goblins series?

retroman

Ghouls 'n Ghosts all the way!

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is good as well, but I prefer the controls, weapons, level design and bosses of the prequel. Also, that auto-scrolling water level is incredibly boring.

I also have fond memories of Ghosts 'n Goblins and Gargoyle's Quest, but those haven't aged as well as the others.

I should really play Demon's Crest and Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins sometime.

Sapiens

If you have an extremely liberal definition of 'almost.'

COMP-Ghouls_n_Ghosts_02.gif

Plays well enough, but it falls welllll short of the arcade graphically.

For a 1989, half megabyte, first gen MD game, it was amazing. Amazing.

MD Ghouls & Ghosts is my personal fav version - ultra nostalgia.

The Orz

I'd have to agree--there's just something serene about the Gen/MD port. Coincidentally, this was my introduction to EGM:

Definitely game of the month material. :)

GuyKazama

Ghouls 'n Ghosts has slightly better checkpoints on the Genesis compared to the arcade original, and is the best in the series.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ghouls n Ghosts is my personal favorite.

I don't consider spin off games though, because they're different games.

stuminus3

The original arcade version of Ghosts 'n' Goblins was the catalyst to the downfall of Todd Landers.

WhlN4pR.jpg

What a flamin' galah you were.

notaskwid

Wait, I never knew Maximo was a part of this series! Loved playing the demo on PS2 (never actually got the game though) Now the soldier in underwear makes much more sense.

Jakabok

I remember the NES version of Ghosts'N'Goblins being a revelation to me after only having played Elite's C64 version which just had 3 levels. Terrible juddery scrolling though.

I have to go with Ghouls 'n Ghosts - it's the most volatile of the series, with tons of randomly spawning, aggressive enemies, and really densely packed, smartly-laid out levels that never get boring.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is the weakest out of the main series for sure. The double jump is a fantastic addition, but the removal of vertical attacks and the larger focus on platforming over fighting enemies hurts the game a ton - a lot of the levels just crumple as soon as you memorize them, not offering much challenge for repeat players. Still a really good game but it doesn't quite stack up to either of its predecessors (or its sequel. Goku Makaimura Kai is awesome too.)

Ghouls 'n Ghosts has slightly better checkpoints on the Genesis compared to the arcade original, and is the best in the series.

I don't think I'd call them "better"; the checkpoints in the English Genesis version are totally broken and make it so you can really just faceroll your way through the game. The US revision of the arcade game is the same way, unfortunately.

I know the Japanese version of the Genesis port has the proper checkpoint system, at least.

yurinka

Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins, the PSP game. Because it's the only one without broken, silly difficulty. And it's so fucking beautiful.

andymcc

Banned
Ghouls 'N Ghosts is probably my favorite. I'll never be able to appreciate Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts as much because it dropped the multi-directional aiming.

linkboy

Wait, I never knew Maximo was a part of this series! Loved playing the demo on PS2 (never actually got the game though) Now the soldier in underwear makes much more sense.

Officially, it wasn't. The developers wanted it to be, but Capcom said no.

It's a spiritual successor, however, it might as well be.

Daimakaimura still wins for me, with Chou Makaimura a close second. The original Makaimura is still pretty fun.

I just didn't really care for Goku Makaimura. Never really spent any time with the iOS or Wonderswan games.

EDIT: just ranking the core games here, not the spinoffs.

I'm partial to the Genesis Ghouls N Ghosts only because I played it a whole bunch (never could finish it without cheating, though).

And holy heck, I had no idea there were so many games!

Ghouls & Ghosts, I must have beat it dozens of times on my Genesis, that said I have never played the PSP one though I really want to. It never came out for anything else did it?

It's a tough call between Super Ghouls and Demon's Crest. They're different enough that there's no reason to pick one over the other. Play the former if you want a balls hard pick up and play experience. Play the latter if you want more of an adventure.

I'd have to agree--there's just something serene about the Gen/MD port. Coincidentally, this was my introduction to EGM:

Definitely game of the month material. :)

I must have read that issue a thousand times. Stared at the maps wishing I had a Genesis to play it on. One of my favorite series.

sphinx

the piano man
Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins, the PSP game. Because it's the only one without broken, silly difficulty. And it's so fucking beautiful.

it's hard as nails. Few people managed to finish it 100% without getting a game over

* Puts on his WonderSwan fanboy hat *

250px-Wonderswanfront.jpg

All kidding aside, Makaimura for WonderSwan is a fun game.

that wonderswan is some weird thing. Square Enix put their FF games there if I remember correctly.

who in their right mind thought something called "wonderswan" was going to take off?

wonderswan.gif

ghibli99

Ghouls'n Ghosts on the Genesis and Super G'nG on the SNES are my favorites and most-played of the entire series.

I've recently started playing Ultimate Ghosts N' Goblins, its pretty damn good but Ghouls' N Ghosts for the Mega Drive is hands down my favourite.

Lettuce

Well seeing as the PC-Engine port is ineffect on a 8 Bit system and looks closer to the Arcade game then id say the MD version was a bit of a disappointment....still a great game though!!

Well seeing as the PC-Engine port is ineffect on a 8 Bit system and looks closer to the Arcade game then id say the MD version was a bit of a disappointment....still a great game though!!

Eh, to be accurate, that's not the bog standard PC Engine hardware when it's actually the Super Grafx, a rare and expensive platform virtually no one has owned or played (outside of emulation), and arguably the biggest console failure of all time. It also has to be said that the MD/Genny cartridge is also half the size of the SG HuCard which would account for why the SG version was so much closer to the arcade game.

farmerboy

I love all the GnGs I've played, which sadly isn't all of them. Only played GnG and it's ports and Ghouls n Ghosts and it's ports. Of all the ones I've missed, I feel like I've really missed out not playing Ultimate GnG and Demon's Crest.

Geez Capcom, pull your finger out and release a collection for the current consoles. I've often imagined a new mainline game using the Ubi Art engine from Ubisoft. It would be sublime.

The original arcade version of Ghosts 'n' Goblins was the catalyst to the downfall of Todd Landers.

WhlN4pR.jpg

What a flamin' galah you were.

What the fuck, Todd.

uVELlC1.png

OK Todd was me. Except with Shinobi.

OK man, credit for this. Love your work. Are you an aussie or brit? Cos if you're not extra kudos to you. There's no way you just came across that on google, that's obscure enough you know your shit. LOL.

I have a soft spot for Ghouls 'N Ghosts (Genesis) but Super Ghosts 'n Goblins (SNES) and Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins (PSP) are really, really good.

The Genesis one still has that "NES difficulty" but isn't quite as clunky as the NES one, which I've played but I don't necessarily enjoy as much. Super GnG feels a bit too forgiving and less pure because of the double-jump and upgradable armors. Ultimate is the easiest to get into but still maintains the difficulty that the series is known for. It is easier due to the level structure and being able to save.

But Ghouls n Ghosts is my jam. I've beaten it several times over the years and pretty much have it memorized. Very fun game.

Noogy

Probably Super Ghouls & Ghosts for me. My favorite visuals and music, and I always loved the level designs. I even borrowed the avalanche bits for my own game.

entremet

Yep it's an amazing port all things considering. I prefer it to the arcade as well. Better controls options too.

Top Bottom