• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So who/what exactly is Tidus? [Spoilers]

Currently playing through FFXHD and I'm curious to hear others' opinions and theories on this matter. The Fayth reveal to Tidus and co. that Tidus didn't travel in time 1000 years to the world of Spira - he was actually a part of a dream of Zanarkand that co-exists with Spira.

Now, given the plot of FFX-2, is it safe to say that Tidus is actually the Fayth's attempt to "remember" and recreate Shuyin in the dream version of Zanarkand? I'm thinking because Shuyin was some kind of anomalous un-sent, the Fayth weren't able to recreate him to a tee, and thus Tidus was born.

Then, at the end of FFX-2, Bahamut's Fayth rewards Yuna with a corporeal body for Tidus as a sign of gratitude.

I've heard other theories, that Tidus is a descendant of Shuyin, or that the two have no connection and just look a like. What do you guys believe?

tumblr_n5ls8khYpt1rh9wl5o3_r3_250.gif
tumblr_n5ls8khYpt1rh9wl5o4_r2_250.gif

tumblr_n5ls8khYpt1rh9wl5o7_r2_250.gif
tumblr_n5ls8khYpt1rh9wl5o8_r3_250.gif

This thread reminds me I reaaally don't like X-2 plot when you start thinking about it.

Except Brother wanting to fuck his cousin, that's pretty great.

I like Tidus' canonical ending when he punted a bomb and blew up to death.

Edit: I figured the bomb jokes and head in the game things were generic "Blitz Announcer" quotes that made me remember how Tidus died. In actuality your joke reminded me of your joke.

Appearantly, there is a scene in X-2 where Meachen almost figures out that Tidus is a "dream" Shuyin but, in Meachen fashion, "forgets" it.

As far as I always understood Dream Zanarkand is an approximation of the actual Zanarkand based on the people's memories so some things will always be off. Though the fact that Shuyin is a celebrity makes it a bit suspect.

Honestly, the thing that blew my mind years later was the fact that Dream Zanarkand actually exists in present day Spira in X. Like, it's present in the actual world, just far off into the ocean. If Sin weren't there to kill anyone approaching it, you could feasibly set off from Luca and stumble upon it by chance.

I always thought it existed inside Sin before.

Oh wow...I thought he was a summon monster. Like they were being clever about the concept, but Yuna basically summoned him from a temporal dimension called Dream Zanarkand. Or maybe the afterlife, that part wasn't clear. But basically he was dead. They do the same thing for his Dad.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
He's
dead

And now To Zanarkand is playing in my head. I'll lay down and cry right now. Thanks, OP

SkyOdin

Tidus is effectively an Aeon, a creation of the summoning performed by Yu Yevon using the numerous Fayth sealed in Mt Gagazet. Past that, the nature of his existence is a little murky. We know that the people of the illusionary Zanarkand are born, grow up, have children of their own, and then age. Tidus and Jecht seem to have been living completely ordinary lives in the false Zanarkand. However, how does that work? Are the Fayth effectively reincarnating as different people over time? Or is the false Zanarkand trapped in a time loop of sorts where the same people play out the same lives over and over again for centuries?

KadeYuy

Appearantly, there is a scene in X-2 where Meachen almost figures out that Tidus is a "dream" Shuyin but, in Meachen fashion, "forgets" it.

As far as I always understood Dream Zanarkand is an approximation of the actual Zanarkand based on the people's memories so some things will always be off. Though the fact that Shuyin is a celebrity makes it a bit suspect.

Honestly, the thing that blew my mind years later was the fact that Dream Zanarkand actually exists in present day Spira in X. Like, it's present in the actual world, just far off into the ocean. If Sin weren't there to kill anyone approaching it, you could feasibly set off from Luca and stumble upon it by chance.

I always thought Dream Zanarkand was inside of Sin? Where do they say it wasn't?

I'm pretty sure Dream Zanarkand is inside Sin, isn't it?

Wow Final Fantasy X is a lot more complicated than I thought. Dream Zanarkand?? Wtf...

This thread is confusing me like crazy, it's like Inception or something.... zomg.

SkyOdin

I always thought Dream Zanarkand was inside of Sin? Where do they say it wasn't?

Apparently one of the FInal Fantasy Ultimania guidebooks says that Zanarkand is found somewhere out to sea near the Baaj Temple, the place where Tidus ends up once he leaves Zanarkand. However, only Sin knows its exact location, and it is very difficult for outsiders to actually enter it. None of this is mentioned in the game itself though, so take it how you will.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm pretty sure Dream Zanarkand is inside Sin, isn't it?

Dream Zanarkand does exist within Sin, which is why Sin is the vessel from which Tidus and Jecht were transported to Spira.

It's "Real Zanarkand", the destroyed city, which exists for real in Spira that people could stumble across. It's the final destination of your pilgrimage before you assumedly would bait Sin into a fight in the Calm Lands. (iirc).

Apparently one of the FInal Fantasy Ultimania guidebooks says that Zanarkand is found somewhere out to sea near the Baaj Temple, the place where Tidus ends up once he leaves Zanarkand. However, only Sin knows its exact location, and it is very difficult for outsiders to actually enter it. None of this is mentioned in the game itself though, so take it how you will.

If that's true, the guidebooks should just be considered non-canon, because that basically contradicts the actual game script.
In fact, considering Tidus being an idiot and blowing his own head off by kicking a bomb is considered canon, ignoring everything outside of the games might be the best course of action.

I thought so too, but I was reading about the game since I replayed it a few years ago and it surprised me as well.

I guess one scene that points to it has (I believe) Wakka ask Tidus if there are any fiends in Zanarkand and he says "some but not often" or something to that effect. So, they were actual physical fiends that manifested and Sin didn't/couldn't stop them in time. I guess that means he is a "caretaker" of Dream Zanarkand and one of the many reasons he attacks ships is for them not to reach it.

If that's true, the guidebooks should just be considered non-canon, because that basically contradicts the actual game script.

To be fair, I don't think the game ever actually states where Dream Zanarkand is.

I thought so too, but I was reading about the game since I replayed it a few years ago and it surprised me as well.

I guess one scene that points to it has (I believe) Wakka ask Tidus if there are any fiends in Zanarkand and he says "some but not often" or something to that effect. So, they were actual physical fiends that manifested and Sin didn't/couldn't stop them in time. I guess that means he is a "caretaker" of Dream Zanarkand and one of the many reasons he attacks ships is for them not to reach it.

Does he attack all ships? I thought it was just the team's ship because he was trying to draw Tidus' attention?

rahji

Thanks for clarification because that is the first time I read something like that. I already thought I missed it in the game.

Tides both exists and does not exist at the same time. He is the memory of a dream of the collected peoples of Spira incarnated in a loosely physical form. He is unaware of much out side of those dream memories. And the pseudo reality he lives with the cast of FFX.

Does he attack all ships? I thought it was just the team's ship because he was trying to draw Tidus' attention?

Like I said, one of many reasons. This particular Sin was attracted to the team's ship because he is also partly Jecht. But there have been many Sins and Dream Zanarkand seems to have existed for almost a thousand years.

SkyOdin

I'm not actually sure about that. I don't think the game itself actually says that Zanarkand is inside Sin. Sin is a giant suit of armor that is protecing Yu Yevon, the summoner who is using the Fayth of Mt. Gagazet to summon Zanarkand. However, SIn itself can enter into Zanarkand, as seen in the very opening of the game. There is a shadow of Zanarkand that exists in the room that Jecht resides in in SIn's core, but that seems to be a creation made out of Jecht's memories.

When Tidus is pulled into Sin at the end of the opening segment of the game, you can briefly see Jecht's room there, implying that it is a different location from the Zanarkand he was familiar with.

Other than the fact that they are both being summoned and maintained by Yu Yevon, Sin and the false Zanarkand seem to be independent entities.

Taruranto

I believe we will get FFX-3 at some point in the future to further flesh out the story of Tidus...

i4uDy60.gif

I mean, I'm not particularly a fan of X, but first we got X-2, who shat all over it, then we got that Drama CD, who shat all over X and X-2.

It's like some people never learn.

Mesoian

He's the bomb

Boo.

But yes, he's essentially a permanently active summon kept alive by the collective will of the fayth. Jecht is too, but he gets taken over by the Sin system and ends up joining it. In FF10-2, the fayth basically decide to reward Yuna by staying online for another 60 or 70 years allowing her to enjoy her live with Tidus before shutting it all down and finally getting to rest.

KadeYuy

Yea thinking about it, it would make sense for Dream Zanarkand to be somewhere off in the world somewhere as we know Dream Zanarkand continued to exist even after Sin was defeated and Sin showing up inside of dream zanarkand makes sense too.

Is this how Jecht got to Spira? They never really say how he got there right? He just goes off on a ship somewhere.

pantsmith

Yeah, so, the game establishes that a Fayth is a human soul trapped into a crystal (hey, crystals!) who "dream" what summoners conjur up as "summons".

"The Fayth", not to be confused with a Fayth, are basically a whole collection of souls trapped keeping a summon version of Zanarkand alive. This has been established as being far out at sea, which makes sense considering Sin/Jecht knows exactly how to go back and get Tidus to help break the chain.

Tidus is a part of that dream, as was his father Jecht. Is he based on an actual Zanarkand person? Probably? Its not really expanded on, and I'm fine with it left ambiguous.

For your sanity, and the sake of everyone's, let's just pretend X-2 didn't happen.

Top Bottom