• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some PS5 Owners Are Experiencing Visual Artifacts Issues

soulbait

Looks like an overheating GPU.

Source: had a few GPUs overheat in my day.

edit: To be clear I'm not saying it's definitely overheating GPUs.. but.. it's probably something like that.. a hardware failure isolated to specific units.

yeah, that was my thought as well. I am curious what kind of ventilation these people have setup for their new consoles. These bad boys need room to breathe, squeezing them into a cabinet where they barely fit would cause overheating.

Launch day hype! What a weird glitch. I've been lucky, I haven't seen anything like that on my end. I guess my PS5 isn't one of the overclocked ones :messenger_grinning_squinting:

We still on this narrative that Sony some how were able to rework their APU at the last minute to closer compete with Series X? :messenger_tears_of_joy: The disrespect, I never pretend to know how to do another persons job. I've had it done to me on numerous occasions, the fact is if you don't do it or have never done it, you don't know. That like when regular joe's challenge pro's... the hilarity of it.

Nvzman

This can be the work of a bad HDMI cable, I've had the same issue using an original Xbox HDMI converter. I don't think this is the GPU crapping out, usually theres a lot more distortion.

poodaddy

I had a similar issue, though not to this degree, on a PS3 fat boi back in the day. Sent it in to Sony, got it back in 3 weeks and it was fine. Sucks, but hey that's hardware for ya. I've had to RMA several GPU's before and even a motherboard, it sucks but shit happens. Here's hoping their RMA turn around times are pretty decent right now.

GustavoLT

76f8cfc4a2ed51269c5baccabf63099e.jpg

it´s because of that liquid metal thing!

Night.Ninja

Banned
Looks like faulty catch scrubbers, the SSD is streaming in the high resolution textures to fast for the GPU, probably needs a firmware update.

kuncol02

Banned

I have no idea why you posted two tweets from one user. His console is obviously broken and it will not become more or less broken with more tweets.

Wow! Glitches are similar to PS5. Very interesting. Can it be RDNA2 bug?
No that's just how faulty GPU works. That's how it looks when you overclock your card to much and is unstable (depending on how much you overclocked raising voltage helps) or when you are unlucky and get GPU broken from start.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So it has nothing to do with overclocking then, the xbox has a bog standard clock. It's just faulty hardware, as expected at every launch.

nah its overheating in both cases. which could be because of manufacturing defects or bad chips. OC would basically just make a overheating system overheat even more.

Iorv3th

Warranties exist for a reason. People (a small percentage) are going to have failures of every product and it's going to have to be replaced/fixed. Welcome to the modern world.

The internet blows this shit way out of proportion though.

kuncol02

Banned
Look where the genius (his twitter handle means xbot :messenger_grinning_sweat: ) put his PS5:

cTWnJ2R.jpg

Please be smart of where you put a USD400+ machine.
This is the equivalent of putting a PC case inside a cardboard box.
What? That's probably best case scenario for PS5. Lots of free space on all sides and nothing blocking airflow. If PS5 is overheating with this conditions then it should be recalled from market.

That sucks for everybody who has to deal with warranties/exchanges. Always a bummer when you wait so long for a console launch and then get stuck with a hassle like this.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Look where the genius (his twitter handle means xbot :messenger_grinning_sweat: ) put his PS5:

cTWnJ2R.jpg

Please be smart of where you put a USD400+ machine.
This is the equivalent of putting a PC case inside a cardboard box.

I used to work in a shop where they sell those black glass stands. They are like £50 and when they are discontinued (For a "new model" which literally looks the exact same) its too much hassle/money to transport them somewhere for sale so they just had to smash them all out the back with a sledge hammers.

Fucking mental waste but also very fun to smash them to pieces. Sometimes we would inhale helium from one of those big cannisters before we did it and laugh maniacally with high pitched voices. Good/Stupid times.

Banned
that looks like an instability in the GPU.
could be a batch of chips that simply can't handle the high frequencies, but chips like that should have been identified and thrown out during production.

seems like a few slipped through

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
But everyone want the next gen right now right? 😒😒.

I tell you guys... Ps4 can be in the battle of consoles until 2021 but Nooooo..... Every person want a next gen in this year.

And this is the reason that I was afraid that ps5 coming in 2020

Now... We have to wait until this errores are fixed.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
But everyone want the next gen right now right? 😒😒.

I tell you guys... Ps4 can be in the battle of consoles until 2021 but Nooooo..... Every person want a next gen in this year.

And this is the reason that I was afraid that ps5 coming in 2020

Now... We have to wait until this errores are fixed.
Is this your first console launch ever?

I don't understand why people are acting so triggered in this discussion. There's nothing controversial in the title or the original post of this thread. Just saying some are experiencing issues. Why the eruption of console warring?

Banned
I saw something like this when I oced my gpu (7970?) Too high.

I had something like that happen when my 1070's power cable was slightly loose... shortly after the artifacting started the whole image would become black and the fans on the card went all crazy lol.

reseating the card and firmly connecting the power cable fixed it.

it also started happening as I overclocked it too hard tho, as that's what exposed the unreliable power delivery through the slightly loose cable.

Last edited:

cucuchu

So if it is an issue with overclocking the GPU too high, wouldn't these issues be more common? I'm not 110% familiar with how these machines are built, but I'm assuming that all PS5's are OC'd the same. Maybe its a synthetic lottery situation, where technically the GPU's should be able to sustain but some of the cards are going to be duds.

No issues w/ mine just yet, XSX or PS5. *Slight* coil whine under load w/ PS5 but nothing compared to what I've heard from a few AMD/NVIDIA GPU's in the last 4 to 5 years.

geordiemp

So if it is an issue with overclocking the GPU too high, wouldn't these issues be more common? I'm not 110% familiar with how these machines are built, but I'm assuming that all PS5's are OC'd the same. Maybe its a synthetic lottery situation, where technically the GPU's should be able to sustain but some of the cards are going to be duds.

No issues w/ mine just yet, XSX or PS5. *Slight* coil whine under load w/ PS5 but nothing compared to what I've heard from a few AMD/NVIDIA GPU's in the last 4 to 5 years.

No.

Its called 0.5 to 1 % consumer electronics failing. And people that are concerned are just trolls (or not knowledgeable, take your pick)

Last edited:

NEbeast

Yeah, it has to be faulty chips. If it was because the chip couldn't handle it then every ps5 would be doing the same. There are reports of the xsx doing the same, with a much lower clock, it's clearly just faulty hardware.

Top Bottom