• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some PS5 Owners Are Experiencing Visual Artifacts Issues

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Look where the genius (his twitter handle means xbot :messenger_grinning_sweat: ) put his PS5:

cTWnJ2R.jpg

Please be smart of where you put a USD400+ machine.
This is the equivalent of putting a PC case inside a cardboard box.
There is nothing wrong with this console placement. It has depth behind it and has open ventilation on the sides. What are you referring to here? I have a very similar stand (maybe the exact same based on the top glass plate) and have never had issues with any console in it.

Some weird artifact happened a couple times when playing the Witcher 3 - specifically in the inventory. I hope that’s not indicative of a larger issue

FranXico

So it has nothing to do with overclocking then, the xbox has a bog standard clock. It's just faulty hardware, as expected at every launch.
Of course it is. People were unlucky enough to get a defective GPU, they just to need to ask for a replacement.

Of course it is. People were unlucky enough to get a defective GPU, they just to need to ask for a replacement.
I haven’t had this exact issue being displayed but there has been a weird artifact where an inventory item in Witcher 3 went sort of blown out and corrupted looking for a sec - then went to normal. Is this likely a hardware issue as well?

Chukhopops

It looks like what happens when your video card starts to die, reminds me of my old GTX970, RIP.

Sucks for those it happens to but it’s just a couple events out of millions I think.

You are one of those kids that can only afford 1 console huh? Does it give you the warm fuzzies to justify your purchase decision like this?
Not only is this a gross overreaction to what appears to be the identical result of VRAM corruption, you're being sensitive for absolutely no reason. You're saying this to one of the people with nearly the largest amount of gaming equipment on this entire board.

Self awareness goes a long way.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
The amount of technological illiteracy displayed by console gamers is always outstanding.

Every PC gamer knows that kind of artifacting is caused by an unstable or faulty gpu.
I flew too close to the sun and overclocked my 980Ti many moons ago and got something similar looking before it got worse. It wasn't a good day in the household for anyone. I don't overclock my cards anymore as that was an expensive mistake. Should have used the slider in much smaller increments.

Touchy about the fact PS5 tools are more mature than xbox devkits? It's already been stated numerous times how easy it is to develop for PS5. But seems like production issues that were stated a few months ago were more than rumours, no matter how much Sony fanboys don't want to admit that.
Touchy? Who me? LOL

First off, calm your tits. Take a deep breath and relax.

I was poking fun at Xbox fans for their 'tools, tools, tools' rhetoric since PS5 has been kicking ass in real world games since launch.

Last edited:

MadAnon

Damn... Looks like signs of unstable OC or outright faulty chip. Not sure how widespread this is but seems like there are some unlucky silicon pieces in some units. Doesn't seem a big of a deal. Some faulty units are to be expected.

Last edited:
You are one of those kids that can only afford 1 console huh? Does it give you the warm fuzzies to justify your purchase decision like this?

LMAO. Talk about the wrong call. DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! has more consoles than most people have games.

DansDans

Im getting a slightly different error

On the game Kotodama - regardless of where I should be, the game always shows the same background, and the real background is about 5% ghosted over it
Only ever happened on PS5

DinoD

I am also experiencing strange artifacts on my PS5. Unexpected RT on 9.2 TF machine, irregular increased frame rates on ps4 games. On some games. I cannot even follow what's going on. My controller is also playing up. L/R buttons are playing up all the time, and i can hear weirds sounds coming out of it. But I'm not the only one. A friend of mine who has Series X also complains of multiple instances of screen tearing, multiple CPU stalls.

Keihart

i've fucked some VGAS overclocking them and it looks like this, they didn't die or anything, but it looks just like the glitches when you have to slow them down.

This looks exactly like what happens on PC GPUs when they are dying.

The solution (on PC) is often to underclock them slightly. That usually gives them a longer life.

Flintty

Lot's of concerned Xbox folks making threads to scare people. Keep up the good work, Phil is watching.

"Report me if I continue to console war"

Yeah, like I’ve never seen you concern trolling in Xbox threads 🤣

This suck but has anyone from GAF experienced it? Hopefully it’s a low number of faulty units, whatever is causing it.

Put your new box through it’s paces Gaffers - it’s easier to get a refund/replacement within the sale period than chasing up a warranty.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It’s a CU that shat the bed. Seems to happen in early gen GPUs before they learn to catch the bad yields. Happened on some launch PS3s. Like mine.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Could have fooled me, because as shitty as it is, defective units is a common occurrence in any mass market electric launch.
Except special situation like Xbox 360.

And this event is my main reason to not get a launch console.

I prefer wait at least 4 months or 5 to see the Hardware problems.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Yup. I'm waiting it out. No rush.

For anyone who gets an early issue, all they are going to get is another roll of the dice unit from the same starting batch. And if they send it in for repairs, it'll probably fixed manually using the same protocols from batch one.

Electronics manufacturers are usually pretty swift in correcting defects. I bet you'll hardly see any of these borked systems and glitchy visuals from systems made by next spring or summer.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

My point is that it doesn't matter if the consoles released last year, this, le 5 years from now, we'd still have similar issues.

Top Bottom