• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some PS5 Owners Are Experiencing Visual Artifacts Issues

JimiNutz

Banned
Ah the real reason Sony delayed PS5 in EU for a week.

Here I thought Jim Ryan betrayed us Brits but he was actually just making sure that all the shitty defective hardware was shipped to the rest of the world first while the perfect hardware was being held back for us in the second wave. Right?

Nvzman

Thats not a bad hdmi cable. The extra geometry on screen is the gpu.
My bad I didn't see all the extra examples. I only saw the black flickering boxes, which definitely looks like an HDMI issues, but those exploding vertex ones are definitely a glitch or something gpu-related.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
ah, those are familiar artifacts. GPU issue. Need to return and repair. Launch lottery
Yup.

Anyone getting these issues should refund or exchange their system ASAP before the store's return policy ends.

DO NOT wait for a OS update or hope it's just a game patch that's needed.

You miss the retailer refund/exchange date and you're left with manufacturer's warranty which means sending it in and waiting for it to return.

MrFunSocks

Banned
LMAO. Talk about the wrong call. DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! has more consoles than most people have games.

Look how far he's going to pretend he's not a M$ shill!

/s

Things break, things come off the factory floor faulty. Who cares. If it's going to break you would rather it break straight away so you can get it replaced under warranty. I'll never understand the fuss people kick up over things like this, really makes you question the maturity levels of people making a big deal about this.

If my Series X had any of these problems I'd go "damn, guess I'll contact MS support and get it replaced".

Last edited:
I am also experiencing strange artifacts on my PS5. Unexpected RT on 9.2 TF machine, irregular increased frame rates on ps4 games. On some games. I cannot even follow what's going on. My controller is also playing up. L/R buttons are playing up all the time, and i can hear weirds sounds coming out of it. But I'm not the only one. A friend of mine who has Series X also complains of multiple instances of screen tearing, multiple CPU stalls.
Your console is haunted

Visual artifact's are typically an issue with overclocked component's, simply - Cerny stated the PS5 is overclocked by citing "We increased frequency speeds" and the variable frequencies are not keeping the component's cool enough to properly handle heat issues that arise from throttling the CPU and GPU. Plainly, as an avid Hardcore Overclocking Enthusiast for 18 years and Computer Scientist - I recommend piping cool air directly toward the Console - this may completely alleviate some issues. On the other hand, if the overclocks applied have ruined the component's of the PS5 this adjustment will barely make a noticeable impact.

rnlval

As the title implies, Some PS5 users have a problem of visual artifacts

EmzEdBbUwAAj6bb

For the given silicon quality yield, it's pushing the GPU too far.

On PC AIB cards, the same RTX 2080 has several different grades with very good silicon quality being placed in AIB's high OC SKU.

Good quality silicon usually has lower resistance characteristics.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Look how far he's going to pretend he's not a M$ shill!

/s

Things break, things come off the factory floor faulty. Who cares. If it's going to break you would rather it break straight away so you can get it replaced under warranty. I'll never understand the fuss people kick up over things like this, really makes you question the maturity levels of people making a big deal about this.

If my Series X had any of these problems I'd go "damn, guess I'll contact MS support and get it replaced".
Exactly better now than before the warranty runs out. Its like these people have never been around system launches. Some are broken out of the factory things get better as production goes on. If you cant deal with a low chance of an issue wait. I hate the whole social media blows everything out of proportion.

Redefine07

Had the same problem with my R9 280 GPU from Asus , cuz they did not put thermal pads on VRAM and I had to put them myself so I could enjoy playin' Ryse Son of Rome.

longdi

Banned
For the given silicon quality yield, it's pushing the GPU too far.

On PC AIB cards, the same RTX 2080 has several different grades with very good silicon quality being placed in AIB's high OC SKU.

Good quality silicon usually has lower resistance characteristics.

Yap until we see a 7nm gpu push past 2ghz comfortably, the yield quality is a question mark.

Those artefacts looks more like the gpu core struggling and puffing in an oc, as its stability to process geometry and what no is out of sync

Ram oc issues are more colored dots and flickers, rather than breaking up triangles as you seen above.

sinnergy

To add, if I clocked them a bit lower artifacting was gone ... so if this is a bit to aggressive , Sony could clock a bit lower , 10 - 100 MHz range , but my guess is it’s closer to 100 MHz or let the fan spin faster . The fans are updatable right ?

sinnergy

It's at the edge of stability, may not be broken yet. Sony can just issue firmware updates and reduce the boost clocks, no one will know and be the wiser off.🤷‍♀️
Or update the fan speeds. If it’s heat related . Maybe they knew in real world that this could happen and made the fans updatable .

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Or update the fan speeds. If it’s heat related . Maybe they knew in real world that this could happen and made the fans updatable .

I doubt they'll choose fan speeds, which is noticeable.

Lowering the boost clocks range sound more likely. Nobody will find out.

I guess we can draw more clues soon when 6800 launches, to see how realistic a 2.23ghz 'continuous boost clocks' are in a restraint console design

Last edited:

sinnergy

I guess we can draw more clues soon when 6800 launches, to see how realistic a 2.23ghz 'continuous boost clocks' are in a restraint console design
Well I was always curious why the would make the fans updatable .. what was the use-case ... seems it’s related to this .

Riky

$MSFT

Yeah I can see them dropping the clocks via firmware patch rather than a full recall, save them a fortune.

kuncol02

Banned

Even lowering GPU speed to 2.15ghz turns PS5 into sub 10TFlop machine. I'm not sure if they want to do that. That just looks bad from PR point of view.

rnlval

With overclocking, voltage increase can clear up signal integrity, but it can spiral into increase electron leakage -> increase heat ---> increase resistance --> increase electrical noise --> increase voltage and 'etc'.

xacto

Visual artifact's are typically an issue with overclocked component's, simply - Cerny stated the PS5 is overclocked by citing "We increased frequency speeds" and the variable frequencies are not keeping the component's cool enough to properly handle heat issues that arise from throttling the CPU and GPU. Plainly, as an avid Hardcore Overclocking Enthusiast for 18 years and Computer Scientist - I recommend piping cool air directly toward the Console - this may completely alleviate some issues. On the other hand, if the overclocks applied have ruined the component's of the PS5 this adjustment will barely make a noticeable impact.

k1uqObP.png

Sorry, you were saying... what?

mitchman

Gold Member
A small minority with gfx artifacts is likely just an inconsistency with the applying of the cooling paste, aka the liquid metal.

That is usually a major factor. I remember people placing their PS3's inside cabinets with glass doors and were surprised by their cables melting. But to be devil's advocate, Sony (and likely MS) do not give you minimum dimensions required in a entertainment center shelf. Just the generic, allow airflow, blah blah blah. I am keeping a close eye on mine as I am not sure the space is actually big enough (3" on all sides and 2" of height clearance).

That's about the space I had for mine before opting to go vertical on the floor. I stuck my hand in there and I just wasn't comfortable with the temp.

Arkam

That's about the space I had for mine before opting to go vertical on the floor. I stuck my hand in there and I just wasn't comfortable with the temp.
I did the same and felt the same. But I went and got my IR Thermometer and have yet to register over 94.x degrees Fahrenheit. So still well within the safe range. But will continue to monitor. During Ghost of Tsushima gameplay I have yet to get above 85 degrees when I go to the pause menu it VERY quickly drops to ~78 degrees. All "testing' done in a 70 degree room.

Allandor

Vaulty GPU or memory.
Can always happen with new hardware.
The real problem I see with this, is that the customers that send in their consoles might need a long breath to wait for their replacement.

When I last upgraded my CPU (Ryzen 3700x) the first CPU that was send to me was defect. Or one core was defect. The system immediately slowed down by a lot when the core was under pressure. I had to send it in. But this always reminds me, that things like this are not so rare nowadays. Also had to send back my b450 motherboard from asus because it was defect after one day (it did just not start anymore) and I'm really careful with hardware. A few years ago, a internet shop send me a defective motherboard (pins were bend into the wrong direction), ...
I don't upgrade my system so often, but it feels like hardware-defects are much more common these days.

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

Is this definitely a hardware issue, These consoles are brand new, surely they are tested before they ship, wouldn't these issues come up in that process?

Allandor

Is this definitely a hardware issue, These consoles are brand new, surely they are tested before they ship, wouldn't these issues come up in that process?
They don't get tested so into that details. Maybe tested if they boot up, but that's it and there is still a tiny percentage of consoles are dead on arrival.

Maybe Sony must select their chips a bit better, we will see this when the consoles are used by more users. Because of the higher frequencies and the desired (and dynamic) power-targets for the CPU & GPU, testing the chips can get really hard. The more complex a system is, the easier it is to create errors and not detect them.

But the test-samples that review-sites get, are normally pretested and selected so they don't send them faulty stuff (which could have a negative impact on the review).

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's either defective or AMD/Sony/MS needs to tune their frequency curve, sometimes if it's too fast it creates artifact...

Had this happen to my Day One Release Xbox One. Ended up being GPU, had to return and swap through Microsoft.

Yeah no clue why this is being made a big deal (again).

Literally every console has GPU failures in the first batches unless it's massively underclocked for thermals. Even then.

Banned

nah, all they need to do is to make sure that the chips actually are fit to handle the high clocks.

the higher the clock speed the lower the tolerance for small imperfections during manufacturing.

this could increase built cost at first but that's what they have to do should this actually be a wide spread problem, which we don't even know atm.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
nah, all they need to do is to make sure that the chips actually are fit to handle the high clocks.

the higher the clock speed the lower the tolerance for small imperfections during manufacturing.

this could increase built cost at first but that's what they have to do should this actually be a wide spread problem, which we don't even know atm.
Yeah this is a good thought.. it's probably just chips in the wild that aren't as good as the ones not seeing these problems.

Just the nature of producing such chips.. they actually aren't all created equally.

The high clock speeds are probably a factor here though.. but it's not that the PS5 is clocked "too high".. it's just clocked.. higher.. so naturally won't have the same tolerance for faulty chips.

Last edited:
Top Bottom