• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Songs that were forever altered by their iconic use in TV/Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke_Wal

I can't hear "Sound and Color" by Alabama Shakes without thinking of Mr. Robot. I don't know how many people that applies to specifically, but it's so real for me.

♪ RADIOACTIVE ♪

Arrow Love Triangle
or
We're back, bitches!

Basically: The CW.
tumblr_mft8z26h2i1r61hj9o1_500.gif

tommy103btl.gif

StoneFox

Roundabout's use as the ending theme song in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure made me forever associate the song with Jojo and the "To be continued" meme. :p

Love and Marriage - Married with Children
Dangerzone - Archer
Believe it or Not - Seinfeld
I Wanna Sex You Up - New Jack City
The Touch - Transformers the Movie
Hip to be Square - American Psycho

choco-fish

Queen needs more love.

Who Wants to Live Forever - Highlander

Didn't queen have heavy involvement with the Highlander soundtrack? Most the tracks in the film were written for it, so they would always have that association.

Opening to Iron Man 3, Eiffel 65 - I'm Blue.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
♪ RADIOACTIVE ♪

Arrow Love Triangle
or
We're back, bitches!

Basically: The CW.

Yeah, I'm sure Imagine Dragons owes its cultural relevance to the CW. It's not like the YouTUbe vid you linked has 500 million views or anything.

OP is asking about songs relying on other media for cultural relevance, a lot of people in this thread seem to be misinterpreting it to "Do any think of a piece of media when you hear X song?". That or they have no idea how culturally relevant a lot of these songs are.

Sound of Silence by Disturbed definitely blew up because of the new Gears commercial. It's been playing on the rock radio stations a bunch ever since around here and the DJs talk about how it just now took off.

OP is asking about songs relying on other media for cultural relevance, a lot of people in this thread seem to be misinterpreting it to "Do any think of a piece of media when you hear X song?". That or they have no idea how culturally relevant a lot of these songs are.

Sound of Silence by Disturbed definitely blew up because of the new Gears commercial. It's been playing on the rock radio stations a bunch ever since around here and the DJs talk about how it just now took off.
That M.I.A song used in Pineapple Express. Song was over a year old at the time and it received my OK nonstop radio play when the movie came out.

All songs on Person of Interest - Person of Interest

I remember when Dallas used Johnny Cash's version of Hurt a week after Person of Interest did. You tried Dallas, you tried.

UraMallas

Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss in 2001: A Space Odyssey

Tiny Dancer by Elton John in Almost Famous

What Condition My Condition Was In by Bettye Lavette in The Big Lebowski

Yeah, I'm sure Imagine Dragons owes its cultural relevance to the CW. It's not like the YouTUbe vid you linked has 500 million views or anything.
Well, I think that Radioactive was used by like 3 shows from The CW in their 2013-2014 tv schedule.

It probably helped Imagine Dragons to get many new fans that year.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Well, I think that Radioactive was used by like 3 shows from The CW in their 2013-2014 tv schedule.

It probably helped Imagine Dragons to get many new fans that year.

CW likely used it because it was already a huge hit. OP is asking for songs that rely on other pieces of media for popularity. Imagine Dragons definitely do not rely on anything else.

nkarafo

Celine Dion's My Heart will go On.

Every time i hear this song i think of sinking ships.

It doesn't help that most people who upload videos of sinking ships or wrecks, also use this song like 100% of the time.

jdstorm

Banned
Joyful joyful and O happy day from Sister Act 2. Since those versions are now the definitive versions of those songs

Jonny B Goode - Chuck Berry : Back to the Future
Tiny Dancer - Elton John : Almost Famous

edit: Kissing you - Romeo + Juliet
kiss me - serendipity
Fix You - The OC
Only Hope - A walk to remember
Breakaway - the princess diaries
Top of the world - Friends

Hazelhurst

Personally speaking, the trailer for Suicide Squad changed Bohemian Rhapsody forever for me.

My second favorite song of all time masterfully used in a trailer for one of my most anticipated, if not my absolute most anticipated movie ever. Every time I listen to it I now think of the trailer and made me love the masterpiece EVEN MORE than I already did <3

Honestly, nothing against Suicide Squad, but Bohemian Rhapsody is a legendary song on its own. In other words, Bohemian Rhapsody will still be epic, spectacular, and timeless long after Suicide Squad has come and gone.

wighti

I don't like Mondays, the Tori Amos version. It was used beautifully in The West Wing. The song coupled with the speech by Martin Sheen was a thing of beauty.

UrbanRats

I think Do you feel it? from Chaos Chaos, got some popularity because of Rick and Morty.

Also, all the various neo-80s bands, kind of blew up after Drive (and Hotline Miami later).

Wow that actually happened. Still not sure what Raimi was going for there.

Greatness.
But he was too ahead of its times for people to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom