• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Songs that were forever altered by their iconic use in TV/Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iron Man - Black Sabbath

I mean, even though the lyrics have nothing to do with the character itself, it's essentially become the theme of the character.

Power of love-bttf

Eye of the tiger-rocky 3

And

Your the best....around-karate kid

Dont know if these were written for these movies or not.

Power of love-bttf

Eye of the tiger-rocky 3

And

Your the best....around-karate kid

Dont know if these were written for these movies or not.

Eye of the Tiger was written for the movie, and funnily enough You're the Best was also originally written for Rocky 3. The song was also submitted for the Flashdance soundtrack, which brings us to Maniac.

That giant devil from Fantasia is now synonym with Night on Bald Mountain. And it is hard to separate the two.
Xl6jhiN.png

Oh yeah, that was a cover of it made specifically for it. I mean it might kinda count considering it was a folk song before appearing on Supernatural. And it was used in Until Dawn pretty recently.

I first heard it in O' Brother Where Art Thou. So good.

Spill the Wine by War will always make me imagine that party scene at Burt Reynolds' place in Boogie Nights.

hiryu64

Hurt by Nine Inch Nails at the end of Rick and Morty season 2 was pretty fucking profound for a sci-fi comedy cartoon. Honestly think it was one of the best uses of a licensed song in a show.

And the official video is swarmed with Rick and Morty references, so that has to count for something, right?

"You realize our planet's name means dirt, right?"

You can have it all
My empire of dirt

mclem

This might just be me, but I can't hear Hank Williams' Lovesick Blues without having Heywood sitting there, with headphones on, singing along tunelessly.

1Pmo8NR.jpg

Also from Shawshank - I'd mention the duet from Marriage of Figaro that appears there. I don't know if it should count, given that it's a classical piece that has probably been in countless other films, but I'm always inevitably going to associate it with that scene of Andy at the PA controls and the guard 'pinching a loaf'...

If nothing else, at least it's iconic enough to be directly referenced in a game I'm playing at the moment!
I'm still slightly reeling from the fact that Lego City Undercover has a section that's a parody of The Shawshank Redemption, but it works

Mikef2000

I can't believe no one has mentioned Tiny Dancer in Almost Famous. I can't listen to it without being transported to that bus scene and seeing Penny Lane doing the thing with her hands and saying "you ARE home" .

farisr

Carry On My Wayward Son by Kansas a song that is constantly played on Supernatural. They also incorporated the song into a musical play about the characters themselves.

Was going to post this.

Rob D - Clubbed to Death - The Matrix
Rob Zombie - Dragula - The Matrix
Overseer - Supermoves - The Matrix Reloaded trailers
Rob D - I'm Not Driving Anymore (Instrumental) - The Matrix Reloaded menu/trailers

I don't know why The Matrix songs are just popping up into my head. LOL. But yeah, The Matrix Reloaded hype was huge for me.

I can still remember the lines of the trailer when I listen to that Rob D one for Matrix Reloaded, LOL:

Neo:What happens if I fail?
Oracle: Then Zion will fall.

Morpheus: What if the prophecy is true?
What if tomorrow the war could be over?
Isn't that worth fighting for?
Isn't that worth dying for?

Not sure if "I'll Be There For You" and Friends counts, but that was the first thing I thought of.

The show COPS and the song "Bad Boys" is the perfect example.

EDIT: "Lollipop" and Stand By Me.

Unchained Melody by Righteous Brothers in Ghost

Where Is My Mind by The Pixies in Fight Club

Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye in Remember The Titans and Guardians Of The Galaxy

Most of the songs from The Watchmen remind me of it. The Times They Are A-Changin reminds me of the intro, Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen's version) is that weird slow-mo sex scene, and Ride of the Valkyries at the beginning of the Vietnam sequence.

Fuchsdh

Basically a huge swatch of classical music and Looney Tunes. I would love to scrub those cartoons from my mind and listen to those seminal works without "kill the rabbittttsss" in the back of my head.

PSqueak

Banned
For me personally, thanks to deadpool, "You are the inspiration" no longer conjures sad images of a little girl with a dead father.

rekameohs

Banned
No one knows "Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30", but everyone's heard "that music from the opening of 2001: A Space Odyssey".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom