• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Songs that were forever altered by their iconic use in TV/Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two songs that are in the same movie and anytime I hear them I think of that movie is Under Your Spell by Desire and Real Hero by Electric Youth in the movie Drive. such perfect fits that its hard not to listen to those songs without thinking of drive or immediately thinking of those songs when the movie gets brought up in any way. Could really say that whole soundtrack but those are the two that first come to my mind

TS-08

CW likely used it because it was already a huge hit. OP is asking for songs that rely on other pieces of media for popularity. Imagine Dragons definitely do not rely on anything else.

To be fair, almost no one is following that criteria in this thread.

Shy Fingers

Banned
I think Do you feel it? from Chaos Chaos, got some popularity because of Rick and Morty.

Also, all the various neo-80s bands, kind of blew up after Drive (and Hotline Miami later).

I am guilty of both of these, more specifically with Do You Feel It?, it was instantly added to my standard playlist even never hearing of the band before.

massoluk

Banned
I can't listen to Final Countdown without imagining a guy waiting for his microwave lunch in a cafeteria now... Thank Geico. Thanks a fucking lot

I haven't seen Midnight Cowboy and the truly iconic use of "Everybody's Talkin'" performed by Nilsson.

Trivia time: it could've been "Lay Lady Lay" by Bob Dylan but he didn't finish the song in time. I don't know that it would've worked as well.

Pejo

Gold Member
Everyone's got the Wayne's World thing covered, so I'll say more recently for me, Free Bird in Kingsman. Every time I hear that song now, I think of that awesome fight scene and it pumps me up. Which is weird considering how many things Free Bird has been used in.

Saturday Night Fever - You should be Dancing & Night Fever

How hasn't this been mentioned yet?

saturday-night-fever.gif

Don't you (forget about me) - that episode of futurama with Fry's brother......I'm already welling up

obviously the breakfast club too but still

And

I will Wait for You - Connie Francis - Futurama Jurassic Bark - that damn dog breaks my heart every damn time

jstripes

Banned
That song didnt really have exposure outside of or prior to the movie though. Pretty sure the soundtrack was it's first release.

Simple Minds didn't even want to record the song. They did it as a favour for their label, in a single afternoon, after Billy Idol turned it down.

They also resented that it became their biggest hit.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Simple Minds didn't even want to record the song. They did it as a favour for their label, in a single afternoon, after Billy Idol turned it down.

They also resented that it became their biggest hit.

Can you imagine the vindication the original writer(s) must feel?

LakeEarth

Sarah McLachlan has forever ruined her music, as I can't hear it without thinking about abused animals and starving African children.

Similarly, Imogen Heap’s “Hide and Seek.” is forever ruined by The OC and SNL's "Dear Sister" parody.

"These are a few of my favorite things" at the beginning of Fear and Loathing is pretty amazing. Definitely what I think of when I hear that song.

CW likely used it because it was already a huge hit. OP is asking for songs that rely on other pieces of media for popularity. Imagine Dragons definitely do not rely on anything else.
Sorry, I was just trying to talk about the use of the song and not the popularity of the band itself before that.

I was going to do Eye of the Tiger and Rocky, but I didn't know that the song was specifically made for Rocky, so I guess that's out.

The next thing that comes to mind is Wayne's World and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom