• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania: 12 minutes of direct feed footage (Polygon)

Psxphile

Someone gif that dancing eggman

pB4Idto.gif

not mine, found on 4chan

EDIT: non-flicker version
b5NWn41.gif

RAIDEN1

This is the game Sega should have released in 1996, instead of getting caught up in the mess that Sonic X-treme ended up being...

Davey Cakes

It certainly looksl like the follow-up to S3&K that people have been wanting for years.

That said, I'm tired of the Green Hill Zone theme. Really wish they would've tried something different, despite the aesthetic being mostly the same.

The biggest thing is the physics that match the original games. It looks like the developer nailed it here. I don't want to sound like a broken record but that was a simple thing that was messed up in Sonic 4. I don't count the Rush games because they were clearly going for a different feel.

I mean, yeah, the gameplay can look messy and all over the place. That's what happens when you combine potential speed and platforming. But, I can easily see Sonic Mania being a game that you can master, like its true predecessors. I expect flawless speedruns of the levels once players regain a sense for the mechanics.

Should be fun. I'm not big into Sonic these days but I'll be on board for Mania, likely. As an oldschool-oriented gamer, it's just so hard to resist. Takes me back to Mega Man 9, honestly.

They got the Sonic look nailed down and the music is pretty good too, going to have to play it to see if it feels good but everything's looking good so far.

Ranger X

It is an official game by SEGA, but the person primarily making the game was a person who was originally in the Sonic Fan Game community who SEGA hired (known as Taxman, he does have a GAF account). He handled the Sonic CD Steam/PSN/XBLA/mobile port, as well as the Sonic 1 & 2 mobile ports, and now he's allowed to make his own original classic-styled Sonic game.

In an era where for example Nintendo is going out of their way to take down fangames, it seems SEGA is surprisingly one of the only companies to make a wise business decision out of untapped fangame talent and let someone talented in the community develop under them. A true modern case of SEGA do what Nintendon't.

Wow ok. This is an impressive move from Sega.
I will look closely on that one. Now THAT looks like it could be the old school Sonic we looking for since forever.

clav

The guy playing was not that bad lol, he was trying to explore a stage too so...

Looked like that, too. He wasn't trying to complete the stage as quickly as possible as I would do that playing the game for the first time.

So many haters. This isn't a competition. Sonic also has a exploration aspect since after all, it is a platformer.

Baleoce

Would've been critically savaged in '96 for not being 3D, sadly.

Exactly, it would've been the same year as Super Mario 64's release. Not saying that it should be comparable. Sonic Mania looks amazing, and I can't wait to play it. But for the gaming market at that time it would have been as cut and dry to the media as one company being progressive, and the other being stuck in the past.

Would've been critically savaged in '96 for not being 3D, sadly.

I often love reading old reviews on IGN or gamespot or whatever for games that came out on the Psone/n64/Saturn that were either 2D, or Pseudo 3D, or isometric or w/e, and see the nonsense reasons they give as to why some of the absolute best games from that gen weren't very good.

"Not enough polygons, 6/10"

Deft Beck

I often love reading old reviews on IGN or gamespot or whatever for games that came out on the Psone/n64/Saturn that were either 2D, or Pseudo 3D, or isometric or w/e, and see the nonsense reasons they give as to why some of the absolute best games from that gen weren't very good.

The standards of the day had shifted. In order to appeal to readers who didn't know better, we got attitude over 2D graphics just for being 2D. Thankfully people have more perspective now. At least, I hope so.

Mista Koo

Add one more vote to not watching this person play Sonic again.

I love Studiopolis Zone music, but the zone itself reminds me of Sonic CD which is worrying to me. I also love all the new smooth animations, I'm pretty sure the animator had a blast doing them.
Is the underground background in Green Hill Zone new? I don't remember seeing it before.

gelf

Looked like that, too. He wasn't trying to complete the stage as quickly as possible as I would do that playing the game for the first time.

So many haters. This isn't a competition. Sonic also has a exploration aspect since after all, it is a platformer.

A few people made the observation its frustrating to watch. Not one person I can see said the reason is because it wasn't played as fast as possible. I usually explore Sonic levels in a similar way but I still found how it was done frustrating. Can we not strawman a defense that people who didn't like the vid don't like exploration.

Anyway on the plus side the vid does show me the physics are good and I'm really looking forward to the game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Can I admit that that day I bought SotN in 1997, I was surprised and a little peeved that it had "outdated 2D graphics"? :p

MrBadger

Add one more vote to not watching this person play Sonic again.

I love Studiopolis Zone music, but the zone itself reminds me of Sonic CD which is worrying to me. I also love all the new smooth animations, I'm pretty sure the animator had a blast doing them.
Is the underground background in Green Hill Zone new? I don't remember seeing it before.

Yeah, that area is entirely new. But on closer inspection, you'll notice that all of Green Hill has been completely redrawn. It's just ever so slightly more vibrant and detailed than it was on the Megadrive

correojon

This looks really nice, I think the beginning of Green Hill is exactly the same as it was in Sonic 1. Enormous levels to explore, this is what IMO made Sonic great.

I don´t think the guy playing was bad at all, he made some mistakes, but it was clear he was trying to explore the level.

Lijik

did i watch a different video than everyone talking about how bad the player was? looked like an average player trying to explore and show off parts of the level not in other footage.

like "falling into spikes once or twice" being equated to "clearly never played a platformer IN THEIR LIFE" is absurd. i mean its not a master speedrun or something but this and the doom vid arent even close

BocoDragon

did i watch a different video than everyone talking about how bad the player was? looked like an average player trying to explore and show off parts of the level not in other footage.

like "falling into spikes once or twice" being equated to "clearly never played a platformer IN THEIR LIFE" is absurd. i mean its not a master speedrun or something but this and the doom vid arent even close
Between this and the "what's wrong with the camera (that the player controls!)" in the FFXV thread, I think people are getting too used to too staged, too perfect playthroughs of games that don't reflect how players will actually play it.

eso76

Yup, he wasn't bad at all, clearly just exploring the level for the first time.

And..well, yeah, it's sonic. Sonic 1.2
Not sure how i feel about this.

Piers

Sonic CD excels at music so i want this game to be the same except actual good gameplay.

Some bad habits of CD pop up here and there in Green Hill. Some traps seem poorly telegraphed (one is right after a checkpoint, too) and there are weird, almost chaotic position of platforms and slopes that almost dead end.

Studiopolis Zone seems all good otherwise.

Is it just me or is the studiopolis level design kind of all over the place? I had no idea where he was in the level until he kind of randomly reached the end.

BocoDragon

Is it just me or is the studiopolis level design kind of all over the place? I had no idea where he was in the level until he kind of randomly reached the end.
That feels like Sonic to me. Aren't you kind of always in a giant Rube Goldberg machine blindly going along and then all of a sudden "end of level"?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
It's not just hold the stick down to hit the finish line and is instead an actual platformer?

I'm sold.

Falk

that puzzling face
The standards of the day had shifted. In order to appeal to readers who didn't know better, we got attitude over 2D graphics just for being 2D. Thankfully people have more perspective now. At least, I hope so.

I'd say 3D has a bit more perspective than 2D though

pls don't hit me

Top Bottom