• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Q2 results

Rolf NB

Hanmik said:
if better sales equals better games.. then it is fine with me..

you know.. I bought my PS3 to play games.. so make the good games happen Sony..
You can buy them in stores or online, with something called "money". Sony does not offer unsolicited home delivery of games at this time.

DarkMehm

JoshuaJSlone said:
Where do these PS2/PSP totals come from, or where were the previous ones these new quarterly figures were added to? Since the last time Sony changed the number of digits they're reporting and on top of that revised some older numbers I've only been able to rebuild PS3 since its lifetime is listed in full.

Sony occasionally releases Press Releases like these:

About Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE), based in London, is responsible for the distribution, marketing and sales of PLAYSTATION®3, PlayStation®2, PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) and PlayStation®Network software and hardware in 99 territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania. SCEE also develops, publishes, markets and distributes entertainment software for these formats, and manages the third party licensing programs for the formats in these territories. Since the launch of PLAYSTATION 3 in November 2006, over 21.3 million units have been sold globally and continue to be sold at a record level. Maintaining its position as one of the most successful consumer electronic products in history, PlayStation 2 has sold over 136.3 million systems worldwide. Since its launch at the end of 2004, over 50 million PSPs have been sold globally, highlighting the importance of the portable entertainment market. With the huge increase in interest and accessibility of network applications and network gaming, over 20 million accounts have registered to PlayStation Network, the free-to-access interactive environment, and over 380 million items have been downloaded.

That's unit sales (normal shipments) as of Dec 08. Before that there was a press Release in July where we got PS2 and PSP unit sales as of June 08. After that you just add quarterly to get the newest total.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Karma said:
Am I reading that right? One more negative quarter and they will have lost ALL of the PS1 and PS2 profits?

As of 1998, yes; the numbers for 1994-1997 aren't there because I don't think SCE was properly broken out as its own division at that point

Stumpokapow said:
As of 1998, yes; the numbers for 1994-1997 aren't there because I don't think SCE was properly broken out as its own division at that point

That just creates a bigger focus on Sony's financial bottom line for the near future.

Road said:
Video game market worldwide figures for the quarter July - August - September, 2009:

Hardware:

NDS - 4.8m
WII - 3.5m
PS3 - 3.2m
PSP - 3.0m
360 - 2.1m
PS2 - 1.9m

Software:

WII - 45.1m
NDS - 42.1m
PS3 - 23.9m
360 - 21.4m*
PSP - 12.9m
PS2 - 11.1m

*estimated based only on attach-rate and hardware figures provided by Microsoft.

While Wii's hardware sales might have declined in that quarter(well for the entire year in retrospect), its software is still flying off the shelves. Great sales for PS3, now all they need to do is keep it up. November and December NPD this year will be very interesting. Maybe Janurary too.

gcubed

gofreak said:
Some report-age from the conference call, with some more 'frank talk':

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20091030/NEWS05/91030014/1064

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jgv30uNIkwL3qrf2TyXf6xBBNifg

I wonder what the last bolded bit is about given Hirai's comments after the Slim launch...if he actually said hardware, or if he meant the ps3 business or the whole game business.

going by part of these, if the yen weakens Sony makes a profit irregardless, i wonder how much it killed other Japanese companies because its quite a bit off of what it was. And i would assume he is referring to the ps3 business as a whole.

So can someone please break down the impact of the $654 million loss to me in laymen's terms? Is this with in acceptable levels or this a big worry?

dionysus

Yaldog
Disturbing, a division can't keep hemorrhaging money indefinitely before major changes happen in that division. I am not talking about management shakeups and reorgs (which have already happened), I am talking fundamental changes like new business models or worse. The gaming division is following the typical scenario of a division that keeps losing money, first management is changed, then the division is reorganized (both of these have happened), next will be a change in division strategy and business model.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
From the overseas investor conference:

As of September, cost of the PS3 was a little over 10% higher than retail price.

Toward the end of the fiscal year they expect this to drop to mid single digits - 5 or 6%

Thus next fiscal year they expect to break even and profit on PS3 hardware.

So...Slim got them a $100 pricecut and a marginal drop in their loss on the hardware ($40 down to $30 if we apply the above to the dollar prices)...which ain't too shabby.

dionysus said:
Disturbing, a division can't keep hemorrhaging money indefinitely before major changes happen in that division. I am not talking about management shakeups and reorgs (which have already happened), I am talking fundamental changes like new business models or worse. The gaming division is following the typical scenario of a division that keeps losing money, first management is changed, then the division is reorganized (both of these have happened), next will be a change in division strategy and business model.

Sounds like something that would have happened if the slim launch + price drop hadn't revitalized PS3 sales like they have. Seems like they recognize the momentum and are pretty set on keeping it up, so major division changes would be pretty ass-backwards at this point. Sony's probably not going Nintendo on us yet.

Doc Evils

gofreak said:

As of September, cost of the PS3 was a little over 10% higher than retail price.

Toward the end of the fiscal year they expect this to drop to mid single digits - 5 or 6%

I wouldn't be surprised to see a revised smaller slim next year like how they did with the PS2.

womfalcs3

Banned
I think 6 million PS3 units shipped this current quarter is conservative. Between FFXIII's release, the holiday season with the new price, and the global economy improving, they can probably even ship more.

They shipped 4.5 million last year in the same period and 4.9 million the year before that.

If they do ship 6 million units, that puts them at 10.3 million units for the three quarters. They would need 3 million more in the last quarter to meet their forecast.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Doc Evils said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see a revised smaller slim next year like how they did with the PS2.

I think you'll see internal revisions on this model for a while, but nothing external for a couple more years at least (well, except for colours and stuff I guess).

Rolf NB

gofreak said:

So...Slim got them a $100 pricecut and a marginal drop in their loss on the hardware ($40 down to $30 if we apply the above to the dollar prices)...which ain't too shabby.
Careful there. The price includes retailer markup, while the cost does not.

Stumpokapow said:
Yeah, I'm really struggling to find the data for the original PS1 years.

AndyD

aka andydumi
bcn-ron said:

Retail price is retail price. Retailers do not make money on the hardware, not more than a few dollars if anything.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
bcn-ron said:

I'll have to go back to see exactly what he said, 'price' or 'retail price'.

But while the $30/$40 may well be wrong in the latter case, the sentiment - that the slim afforded the price cut with a small reduction in loss to boot - should still be correct. I guess if it is retail price, we of course have to work out the difference between wholesale and retail to get a better lock on what the margin is for Sony.

Averon

gofreak said:

Is the RSX and Cell in the Slim both at 45nm? Or is the split 65nm for the RSX and 45nm for Cell? If it's the latter, then I think Sony won't break even on hardware until the RSX shrink to 45nm.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Averon said:
Is the RSX and Cell in the Slim both at 45nm? Or is the split 65nm for the RSX and 45nm for Cell? If it's the latter, then I think Sony won't break even on hardware until the RSX shrink to 45nm.

I think that RSX currently is still 65nm. So I presume that'll come down to 45nm next year with some cost improvement there.

Also...ha...someone asked about when the next generation Playstation would arrive. Needless to say they'd nothing much to say about that.

jcm

Huge past losses aside, it seems like they've finally gotten turned in the right direction. Selling the hardware at a loss means that profits will lag a sharp upturn in sales. As the 9M new PS3 owners in the second half of the calendar year buy games and accessories (assuming 6M sales this quarter), CY2010 results should be much better.

FrankT

dolemite said:
Case closed then

Good catch. They have been pushing this profitable line for the last two fiscal years. So now it looks like it will be fiscal year 2011 at the earliest. It really is going to be interesting to see if they ever turn this thing around for good.

gofreak said:

That's interesting because that would put it in the same place of the fat in May . Slightly surprised it's still at 10%, but not too surprised.

Elios83

gofreak said:

I'm sure that they're talking about the japanese price because it's the only one which makes sense for them. So the actual cost is 33.000 yen.
With the current exchange rate that is about 360$ and 245€.
So just to give an idea they lose 30$ for every unit sold in Japan, they lose 60$ for every unit sold in the US and they make 80$ for every PS3 sold in Europe.
Of course this doesn't consider the retailer margin which is an added loss for them.

It's interesting that they expect to reduce their costs withing the fiscal year (probably because of economy of scale), then in the next fiscal year with a new revision with 45nm RSX in late summer as always they will probably be able to be proftable and cut the price by 50$.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jtyettis said:
Good catch. They have been pushing this profitable line for the last two fiscal years. So now it looks like it will be fiscal year 2011 at the earliest. It really is going to be interesting to see if they ever turn this thing around for good.

That's interesting because that would put it in the same place of the fat in May . Slightly surprised it's still at 10%, but not too surprised.

Pretty much. Slim got them their price cut without adversely affecting profitability (per unit) further. I pretty much guessed that they wouldn't 'do' Slim if that wasn't the case.

Given those numbers they should hit profitability on hardware next fiscal year (fy10), though that may depend on competitive pressure (i.e. if they have to cut again next year...which I think they will, though probably not by $100 again). Overall profitability in the games business though..? Well, your guess is as good as mine.

DarkMehm said:
Sony occasionally releases Press Releases like these:

That's unit sales (normal shipments) as of Dec 08. Before that there was a press Release in July where we got PS2 and PSP unit sales as of June 08. After that you just add quarterly to get the newest total.
OK. It's just I don't trust different generations of Sony shipment claims to be fully compatible when going for greatest accuracy, since there are occasional differences beyond rounding. Picky picky, yeah; but I guess we'll get some new LTD claim soon enough to work with.

Since PS3 is available in full, though, I demoted the previous numbers to "old2" status, since there was already the original "old". :)
PS3_WW

AndyD

aka andydumi
gofreak said:
Pretty much. Slim got them their price cut without adversely affecting profitability (per unit) further. I pretty much guessed that they wouldn't 'do' Slim if that wasn't the case.

Given those numbers they should hit profitability on hardware next fiscal year (fy10), though that may depend on competitive pressure (i.e. if they have to cut again next year...which I think they will, though probably not by $100 again). Overall profitability in the games business though..? Well, your guess is as good as mine.

When they move to 45/45 they should get roughly even which is why they are saying they will move to profitability next fiscal year, and they will be only losing 5% ($15 or so per unit) by spring.

I doubt they will do a price cut next year, but I do think they will bundle stuff in, maybe a game or two, and maybe a wand when they come. I still think they should have thrown in a DLC game with the slim, like they did with PAIN before.

That $15 per unit loss by spring means they will be even or so if they sell one Sony published game per console. Not a bad deal at all.

And I don't get the above graph at all. It looks like sales from launch to today, but why are some lines shorter?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
bcn-ron said:
It shouldn't be a surprise either way. Hirai himself said the new hardware was still selling at a loss back in late August.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Doc Evils said:
Wouldn't the 250gb break even?

Sounds like it, or even profit. But the majority of the sales are the 120gb so far. We will see this/next quarter how it all pans out.

CaptainABAB

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/30/ps3-has-lost-sony-4-7-billion-may-be-profitable-next-year/

Sony CFO Nobuyuki Oneda claimed the PS3 was getting cheaper to produce, stating, "the difference between sales and materials cost has been reduced to between 10 and 20%. Within the year, it could be in the single digits." He later added, "we'll be able to reach profitability at some point in the next term."​

(NeoGAF is mentioned in this article)

When he says: "materials cost" is he excluding marketing, distribution, etc.?

bwahhhhh

jcm said:
Huge past losses aside, it seems like they've finally gotten turned in the right direction. Selling the hardware at a loss means that profits will lag a sharp upturn in sales. As the 9M new PS3 owners in the second half of the calendar year buy games and accessories (assuming 6M sales this quarter), CY2010 results should be much better.

also, i'm guessing selling/clearing inventory of the PS3 Phats at $300 probably was a bigger loss per system than the Slims at $300. (just speculation, though)

FrankT

CaptainABAB said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/30/ps3-has-lost-sony-4-7-billion-may-be-profitable-next-year/

Sony CFO Nobuyuki Oneda claimed the PS3 was getting cheaper to produce, stating, "the difference between sales and materials cost has been reduced to between 10 and 20%. Within the year, it could be in the single digits." He later added, "we'll be able to reach profitability at some point in the next term."​

(NeoGAF is mentioned in this article)

When he says: "materials cost" is he excluding marketing, distribution, etc.?

10-20% then? I thought it was 10. Edit a little over 10% to be specific or they said 10-20%?

Sir Fragula said:
Hmm
http://stevewalsh2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ConsolePerf.PNG[/img[/QUOTE]

Interesting chart to say the least. Nintendo knows how to run a long term business to be sure.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sir Fragula said:
Hmm
[Cumulative since 1998, forgot to add that in. Wonder if it's worth starting the chart at FY 2001...]

Sony games or Sony as a whole? Same with MS?

Because if only games then its not putting it into perspective really. MS and Sony may not care about losses/no gains in games if they drive their other divisions (think Bluray). Conversely, Nintendo has no other business aside from gaming, so for them the gaming division has to do well or else.

AndyD said:

Because if only games then its not putting it into perspective really. MS and Sony may not care about losses/no gains in games if they drive their other divisions (think Bluray). Conversely, Nintendo has no other business aside from gaming, so for them the gaming division has to do well or else.
It's the gaming related divisions.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jtyettis said:
10-20% then? I thought it was 10. Edit a little over 10% to be specific or they said 10-20%?

They're getting that from AndriaSang who seem to be reporting from the Japanese investor call.

In the overseas call, someone asked him to clarify his comments from the Japanese call earlier, and that's where he said "a little over 10%" as of September, single digits "5 or 6%" by end of fiscal year.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Good that sales are up, but what is the point if they're still losing money. I just don't get Sony's end game. Are they playing for next gen at this point, or what are they doing? They're never going to make back all of these losses on the PS3. It's a shame too, I love the thing.

good numbers in terms of shipments.....although I still read in my WSJ RSS feed that they reported quite a substantial quarterly loss IIRC.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
drakesfortune said:
Good that sales are up, but what is the point if they're still losing money. I just don't get Sony's end game. Are they playing for next gen at this point, or what are they doing? They're never going to make back all of these losses on the PS3. It's a shame too, I love the thing.

I think the point is to hit a critical mass with the PS3 audience such that the business is break-even/profitable.

The audience to date has been too small. So while it's painful in the short term to drive the userbase, I guess their hope is that the content consumption will as a consequence hit a point where that cost of user-acquisition (and the cost of running the playstation business as they continue to run it - e.g. with high development/marketing investment) starts to be outweighed by the margins on that content.

There seems to be little appetite at Sony to 'cut their cloth to suit their measure' - e.g. to pare back investment to match the current audience size. So I think their strategy - the play with Slim etc. - is about bringing the audience back to at least a sustainable if not profitable level.

AndyD said:

Can you show me where BR is making money for Sony? Can you show me where Sony or even Panasonic is bragging about BR sales in their financial reporting? Can you tell me why you think Sony is at break even on their BR opportunity cost as of this time?

Every one of these fiscal report threads about Sony turns into people screaming "BUT BR!!!!" without any information what so ever to support this theory. Do you see Sony or Panasonic making money hand over fist because of BR? Do you see either bragging about it? Do you think that would NOT if it was the case?

I'm not just picking on you but plenty of others who simply have it in their head "it's all worth it for BLU RAY!"

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So now that the PS2 is becoming financially irrelevant to Sony, they can go ahead and release that PS2 emulation PS3 update right? BELIEVE!:D

dolemite

truly101 said:
So now that the PS2 is becoming financially irrelevant to Sony, they can go ahead and release that PS2 emulation PS3 update right? BELIEVE!:D
What would be the point after it becomes irrelevant?

Top Bottom