• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Flexible on PlayStation 4 Cost

Omiee

... affordable to consumers who buy $600 iPads.

Either way, it could be fun to see Sony bleed money faster than a river flows.

Why would this be fun? Thats like all of this forum wishing for you to get hit by a car because it could be fun to watch.

You do know that when corporations lose money they fire people and that is bad for the economy right?

Soi-Fong

Why would this be fun? Thats like all of this forum wishing for you to get hit by a car because it could be fun to watch.

You do know that when corporations lose money they fire people and that is bad for the economy right?

There are some who hate Sony. Plain and simple.

All that matters is that MS wins

Vinci

Danish

I assumed he was being sarcastic, responding to some of the completely irrational people who seemingly both love Sony and yet want the company to bleed to death by pricing the thing unquestionably low compared to even conservative estimates of its costs.

Most likely it will be $499, especially considering that 8gig gddr5 cost, but it will be great if they can do some supply chain vodoo to bring it down to $399.

£349.99 in the UK give or take £20 is my guess. Hoping for just one sku as well, I don't see anything they can do to differentiate the hardware of two separate sku's other than HDD size, and HDD'S aren't really expensive nowadays, so one large HDD sku makes sense to me.

Novid

Banned
This is $450. you cant have that insane memory and not be less than 400. I have a feeling somebody else along with Sony is baring the cost of this. (or, they took out a fuck ton of Samurai Bonds)

This is $450. you cant have that insane memory and not be less than 400. I have a feeling somebody else along with Sony is baring the cost of this. (or, they took out a fuck ton of Samurai Bonds)

You really could if they were willing to take a slight loss. I mean considering this is the Sony that lost 250-300 dollars at the launch of the PS3 there will be a 399 SKU

Ding

There are some who hate Sony. Plain and simple.
Yeah, that's unfortunate, but somewhat understandable. Hate is probably too strong a word, but I can admit to disliking and disdaining Sony quite a bit, mostly due to their "attitude" and tone-deafness at the beginning of this generation. (Last generation, now?)

But I gotta say, I'm feeling like Sony learned some lessons in recent years, and I liked what I heard last night. Sony's alright in my book now, and I certainly don't wish bad tidings on them anymore. I don't imagine that I'm the only one that is coming around to that way of thinking this year.

(I'm a one-console, 360 owner who assumed that he would be purchasing a 720. I'm not sure that's the plan anymore, although I'll need to wait until a lot closer to the end of the year before making up my mind. Before last night, I figured that I might have to "hold my nose and buy a PS4" in the event that MS truly drops the ball. But now, I'm thinking that I could be pretty happy in the "Sony ecosystem".)

Back on-topic: I love to see a $399 price, but could rationalize $449 since Sony did go out on a bit of a limb with all that memory. Then again, aside from that pricey RAM, the rest of the console looks relatively modest. It's certainly less bleeding-edge than the 360 was last time, and MS managed to sell that at $399 without breaking the bank. (The RRoD fiasco broke the bank, but that's a different story.)

So yeah, $399 seems plausible, and I think they'd sell a lot at that price.

Piggus

Here we go again with the ridiculous pricing predictions. -_- Did the Vita not teach you guys anything? Off the shelf parts = significantly less RND + manufacturing costs which translates to a cheaper console.

$399 US dineros. Count on it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Here we go again with the ridiculous pricing predictions. -_- Did the Vita not teach you guys anything? Off the shelf parts = significantly less RND + manufacturing costs which translates to a cheaper console.

base model I see as $399 and a premium for $499.

We may see a $429 - 529 deal also, but I dont think sony wants to risk breaking the $400 entry barrier. I think a lot will depend on MS too. If MS launches at 349 or 399, we know sony cant ask for more then 399.

$399 single sku. Nice and simple.

With the outsourced RnD and more industry standard parts, costs should come down relatively quickly for them equals more profit down the line.

Spinluck

Can't see it happening.

Everything that they showed yesterday makes me think that the PS4 will be more than $400 (which is in my opinion the max price that a console should be).

A controller with various features and a system with 8GB of RAM? Yeah... I'm thinking around $500-600 to be honest.

So possibly a PS4 without contract for $549.99 and one that's $300 with a 3 or 4 year (PS World) contract.

Controllers are usually overpriced.

A DS3 is around $55, but not nearly that much to manufacture.

Noirulus

$399 and i'm in day 1. 500GB HDD version.

I'm guessing they'll have a premium model for $499 that comes with a 1 - 1.5TB HDD and a 6-month subscription for PS+ or something.

I'm thinking it's going to be priced between $400 and $450 for the cheapest SKU. I think starting at $500 is probably too risky. As far as cost of RAM goes, I'm pretty sure Sony is going to eat that cost in the beginning with the hope that it plays out in the long run both in profits and overall longterm cost of RAM for the lifetime of the platform. Take a hit now for long term benefits.

Noirulus

Can't see it happening.

Everything that they showed yesterday makes me think that the PS4 will be more than $400 (which is in my opinion the max price that a console should be).

A controller with various features and a system with 8GB of RAM? Yeah... I'm thinking around $500-600 to be honest.

So possibly a PS4 without contract for $549.99 and one that's $300 with a 3 or 4 year (PS World) contract.

What the heck is PS World?

Edit: Just google'd it and found out. It sounds more like a subscription (ala PS+), I don't think they'd be able to tie you into a contract with something like that.

Amir0x

Banned
Please please be affordable to consumers, I hope Tretton is hoping for $429.99 or something :/

I mean with 8GB DDR5 it just might be worth paying $429.99, but still think Sony has to avoid the mental block to be a real competitor next gen. $399.99 is the sweet spot... if they have to, copy Microsoft and subsidize cost somehow

Taurus

There are people who don't like the direction that Sony thinks the gaming should go.

And talented people will always find new jobs elsewhere.

On topic, I think it will be at least $499 and Sony will be in (even more) serious financial trouble later.

Persona7

Banned
I see them charging 499 for the console

100 dollars for the dual shock 4

80 dollars for new games

90 dollars a year for premium services to play online

DMeisterJ

Banned

Yeah, this whole thing reminds me of the PSV pricing threads back in '11 and then they announced 250. I'm betting the house on $400 being the price.

Am i the only one who hates the idea of a sub SKU??

The $99 360 is a scam. You're paying over $400 for 8 year old hardware, 10 years when the contracts runs out. Even if XBL carried over to the next box, why would you be buying a 360 in the first place. I guess we have no way to track how it's been doing but i guess people are eating it up.

With that said i expect MS to have their sub SKU at $299 ($660 with the 2 year contract). Their premium SKU at $399 no contract. No matter which SKU you buy they'll make bank with XBL.

Sony only has one option. 1 SKU for $399, free online with PS world or plus doing the same business as usual. If you want to stay clear of a HDD pissing contest, throw in a 1TB. But for me 500GB will be more than enough. I do expect a $499 price though which IMO is fair. But don't consider it a casual price.

The fact that Sony introduced a product without knowing how much they are going to charge for it is a really bad sign.

That means they don't have a business plan and vision to profitability when they conceived the product. They went with the "let's design a machine and *then* figure out how we're going to market and make money on it" plan, which is a really bad plan, and you know what they say about those who fail to plan.

i-Lo

Year 1:

$449 and $549

Year 2/3:

Probable subscription/rent to own/installment based program.

$349 + contract term
$449 + contract term

Top Bottom