• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Flexible on PlayStation 4 Cost

Jedi2016

Imo, they will let Microsoft make the first move as far as pricing goes, and then make their announcement.

$399 Standard SKU
$499 Premium SKU
Well, they need to drop the multiple SKUs to start with. No one seemed to notice last time that there were two.. everyone just complained that it was too expensive at $599, and completely forgot that there was a $499 version as well. It's all in the numbers. Give it a nice low number up front, especially if it's the same, or even cheaper, than the competition, and it'll fly off the shelves.

I'm hoping they don't force the PS Eye down our throats. If there are separate SKUs, I'm game for one without peripherals. I can see a basic unit with nothing but a controller and headset being $399.

BadAss2961

Given the specs, I don't see how the main sku won't be $500.

I'm just worried about online subscriptions though. I'll be very disappointed if Sony charges for online play.

DasMarcos

Banned
Should be interesting what happens given the statements. Just looking forward to finally getting a locked down price for both upcoming next gen consoles.

bunbun777

Given the cost breakdowns it seems most reasonable to expect 399 which would not be sold at loss. A minimal unit at 349 would be pretty exciting.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I hope the £399 pre-order price up on ShopTo isn't a sign of things to come, I really don't want to pay more than £349 tbh but with 8gb gddr who knows, could push that price up a little more than expected.

Quasar

I'm hoping they don't force the PS Eye down our throats. If there are separate SKUs, I'm game for one without peripherals. I can see a basic unit with nothing but a controller and headset being $399.

Given the light bar on the controller it seems unthinkable that the camera is not in every sku.

Me. I expect a deluxe bundle with a vita.

If they release two SKUs with the only difference being HDD space I'm getting the cheaper one and shoving a SSD in this beast. If they allow it, hopefully they do!

Izick

So basically they plan to pass the savings onto consumers and take a loss. Good.

Which is definitely the smartest thing to do since they're likely going to be in an even longer cycle this time than the PS3.

If they have a competitive price with Microsoft's Nextbox at launch, within 50$, then if I think Microsoft should be very concerned.

Quasar

$499 + $100 two year contract for Online Subscription.

Console subsidies are coming.

I hope they are. I'd love to see more people coming in earlier because of lower up front costs. Not that I'm interested myself, I dont even buy on contract phones.

Liamario

Banned
I'm amazed at people throwing out ridiculously unrealistic prices, like there is any hope in hell they'll bankrupt themselves just so you can have an expensive device for a penny.

PS4 isn't going to be above €500 and no less than €400.

Multiple SKUs at launch is kind of a paradox. Everyone complained about $599, but no one wanted to buy the gimped 20GB SKU.

To me, it makes sense to produce only 1 SKU at launch. Release the cheaper SKU down the road once the hardcore early adopters are satiated.

daoster

Multiple SKUs at launch is kind of a paradox. Everyone complained about $599, but no one wanted to buy the gimped 20GB SKU.

To me, it makes sense to produce only 1 SKU at launch. Release the cheaper SKU down the road once the hardcore early adopters are satiated.

The problem with Sony was that they focused on the $599.99 but added in the cheaper version as, "hey, BTW, you can get the cheaper version!"

SOny should take a cue from Google and Apple and focus on the cheaper SKU as the "main SKU," and the more expensive option as, "BTW, you can get a premium model too!"

Ideally though, yes, I'd like one affordable SKU, and the burn of what happened with $599.99 may still come back to haunt them, even if they focus on the cheaper SKU as the main SKU.

elcapitan

Sony can introduce many different revenue streams with the PS4 since it offers so many services. This will allow Sony to price it more aggressively. Profit is no longer tied to the hardware or even the software. People are thinking too linearly about how much this affects Sony's bottom line.

Concept17

I'm still betting on a single 399 sku even with dat ram. They need to keep this momentum going and that kind of price would hold the excitement for a lot of consumers.

mooooose

Considering the bang for your buck Vita is in terms of hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 is $399. But I could also see $499.

$399 would be killer, holy fuck.

Shtof

Starting at $299 with 2 year PS World subscription at $90 a year. I think this would be a great pricing model to lure the consumers in.

Mikey Jr.

I hope they are. I'd love to see more people coming in earlier because of lower up front costs. Not that I'm interested myself, I dont even buy on contract phones.

Yep, I think contracts are a great idea if it allows people to jump in at a low price and pay it off over time. Just as long as the final tally isn't some fucked up number like $200 more than what the actual system costs.

Proxy

I know people like to shit on Sony, but they aren't stupid enough to :

A) Launch at a $500+ price point.
B) Include 8 GB of GDDR5 if they thought it would cause them to launch at a $500+ price.
C) Take a massive loss on the hardware like they did with the PS3.

If they've decided to include that much GDDR5, I feel it points towards them being able to afford it. $599 and the losses they took on the PS3 aren't distant memories for Sony.

I know people like to shit on Sony, but they aren't stupid enough to :

A) Launch at a $500+ price point.
B) Include 8 GB of GDDR5 if they thought it would cause them to launch at a $500+ price.
C) Take a massive loss on the hardware like they did with the PS3.

If they've decided to include that much GDDR5, I feel it points towards them being able to afford it. $599 and the losses they took on the PS3 aren't distant memories for Sony.

It'll be 450 at most. If Microsoft launches their console at 399, I feel like Sony may drop it to 399 just for competition.

I'm thinking there might be two SKUs, but I see $450 being the high end of the base price, so $450 base, $500 premium. If they price it at $400, I'd be pretty tempted to get one at launch if it has a number of compelling titles

KingK

If it launched around $400-$450 I'd get it at launch for sure. Otherwise I'll probably wait for a price drop. I'm hoping they can sell it for $400.

Top Bottom