• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Flexible on PlayStation 4 Cost

Vinci

Danish
... affordable to consumers who buy $600 iPads.

Anyone who compares an iPad or iPhone to a PS4 needs a reality adjustment. Each is technologically impressive, but one side of the alleged equation does significantly more than the other side.

Either way, it could be fun to see Sony bleed money faster than a river flows.

I'm anxiously awaiting the price announcement. Should be interesting either way. Pricing it high or low will be very telling.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Highly optimistic: $399
My expectations: $450

beast786

my prediction

Premium SKU : 3D PS eye + Move + DS4+ HDMI + Headset+ 3 months of PS+ and PS4 : 549.99$

Basic SKU: Headset+HDMI+ DS4 and PS4 :449.99$

Console manufacturers should do what amazon does with the Kindle and offer a SKU with ad backgrounds and commercials or whatever. Then offer it at a much lower price.

One of them is already doing it - only diffrence is you can't buy ads free higher priced xbox SKU ;)

Bgamer90

Banned
Just one SKU, please.

PLEASE.

Can't see it happening.

Everything that they showed yesterday makes me think that the PS4 will be more than $400 (which is in my opinion the max price that a console should be).

A controller with various features and a system with 8GB of RAM? Yeah... I'm thinking around $500-600 to be honest.

So possibly a PS4 without contract for $549.99 and one that's $300 with a 3 or 4 year (PS World) contract.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
gimme this:

200$ model with...

8$ /mo to a Netflix esque streaming service that gives me access to PS1 / PS2 / PS3 library.

Give me access to this on Vita.

Sony wins next gen.

Makes sense to me. CELL and Blu-ray were huge investments for Sony and they didn't take off like they wanted them to. They weren't in a position to sell PS3 at an affordable price and could not drive down costs as much as they could for a more "normal" console. It was a big risk that did not pay off.

Sony took a lot of flack (and rightfully so) for everything that led up to the PS3's infamous pricing model, but I think they are fully aware of the position they are now in and will price PS4 aggressively knowing that it won't bite them in the ass because they're not depending on new, expensive, and less widespread technology.

GavinGT

Banned
Sony, as evidenced by the PS3, don't mind selling at a loss to start.

I'm hopeful for £350-£399.

They can't afford to subsidize a lot of the cost this time around. Plus, it would be too risky given that the success of next-gen consoles is uncertain.

I don't think they'll subsidize more than $100 of the cost per unit at launch. Any more than that and they're setting themselves up for annual losses in the billions, which may not be possible to recover from.

I think Sony has made a misstep by announcing first and revealing such high specs. Microsoft can easily position themselves at $100 cheaper by simply adjusting their RAM spec. They'll still get all the same games, the mass market audience won't be able to denote an appreciable difference in graphics, and they'll sell more consoles by virtue of having a cheaper asking price.

And even if Sony waits for Microsoft to announce a price before they follow suit, Microsoft would still have a competitive advantage. They can nail down a solid estimate for what each PS4 will cost Sony to make, and then choose a price that forces Sony to subsidize more of the cost than they would like.

As an aside, I think it's funny that the avatar from post 37 appears to be doing bad things to the avatars in 38,39,40.

Also 400-450 for the PS4, please, Sony.

Spongebob

Banned
Imo, they will let Microsoft make the first move as far as pricing goes, and then make their announcement.

$399 Standard SKU
$499 Premium SKU

Considering the specs they've shown this would be a very fair price just as long as they include a decent sized HDD in the $399 SKU.

I think they have to now but I felt the same way about PS3 so what do I know.
This is 2013, even the Wii U comes with an HDMI cable.

Knoxcore

Imo, they will let Microsoft make the first move as far as pricing goes, and then make their announcement.

$399 Standard SKU
$499 Premium SKU

And really I think that's our best bet, unless Sony manged to get a really great price on the RAM.

Frankly, my only concern is that MS is going to introduced a subsidized console in exchange for a 2-3 year commitment of a Gold subscription. I don't think Sony could compete with that or be willing to offer the same pricing structure. I was hoping that Sony made such an announcement last night, but it looks like we will have to wait. I feel the only good spin on the no price is that I think they CAN be flexible. If they are indeed waiting for MS to announce pricing, I think the PS4 will be sold at a very attractive and valuable price. Sony doesn't want to price too high, which is a good thing. I don't want to see them make the same mistakes as they did with the PS3. We already have a developer-friendly console. Now all we need is a consumer-friendly price.

DBT85

I'm still expecting £330/$399 and £380/$449 for a larger drive

I don't think there will be a "tard" pack as there was before. The SKU differences should be HDD capacity related and nothing else.

Takuya

Banned
Considering the specs they've shown this would be a very fair price just as long as they include a decent sized HDD in the $399 SKU.

I'd say the difference between HDD sizes would be along the lines of....

250GB vs 500GB

or

320GB vs 750GB

All depends on how they want their cost structure to work, and what size HDD they are using in the machine.

My main concerns now at the moment are:
1. Price?
2. Will it have a tendency to overheat?
3. Will online MP remain free?

Still going to be expensive as FUCK to produce. GDDR5 RAM is NOT CHEAP by any definition of the word.

Luckily, subsidized consoles maneuver around that problem quite deftly.

Thats probably true, but Sony is a hardware corporation first and foremost, so they should be able to reduce the variable production costs.

It is in their best interest to have as large a HDD as possible in these things because they won't want storage to be an obstacle for DD purchases and I imagine partial game installs will be the norm.

Top Bottom