• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony full year results - $1.25bn loss, PS operating loss $78m, PS sales 14.6m, 17m fc

Shengar

The PS4 is a more important product for Sony than just gaming, it gets boxes under TVs that people interact with. The reason that Samsung and LG are going so hard into smart TV is because they have no product like the PS4 which is connected to the internet to serve consumers directly, TVs are now a conduit for other people's services rather than the profit centres they used to be, so monetising them through smart services is necessary. Smart TV has never really taken off though, those who are inclined to use advanced functionality of their TVs usually have cable or some other premium service and they are also likely to have a PS4 or XB1 as well.

Therein lies the importance of the PS4, it feeds into their media divisions and even smartphones with companion apps and off screen functionality. Once their IPTV service launches, that will increase profits not only within the game division, but also for SPE. If they do it right and bundle 6 months of IPTV with certain smartphones, it will also help their smartphones and tablets division and help differentiate their products from the myriad of competition.

The PS4 is not just about games, and also remember that the PS4 is sold at a loss, this will improve over time and once the hardware becomes profitable the division level operating profit will look a lot healthier.

This is an excellent post on a thread about gloomy Sony's financial report. I hope Kaz really went that way with integrating their serivce into the Playstation.

Japan alone will do 2-2,5 milions.
Through what brand of magic and pixie dust is that happening? PSP is dead in Japan now. PSV did ~1.3M last FY and lifetime has only done about 2.7M. But it's going to miraculously sell twice as much this year and almost as much as it's cumulative total in the current FY?

Even if it did do 2M units in Japan, which seems very unlikely, where does the other 1.5M come from.

:/

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think the PS division suffers a bit too much from the unexpected drop of PS3 sales. I think they were banking on a slower decrease. From this point of view I don't know if the 17 million for next year is realistic.
Plus they are bundling all their 1st party software with the PS4 and that doesn't help on the short term, putting most of the profitability pressure on PS+.

Forecast - extracted from pdf

Game & Network Services

"Sales are expected to increase primarily due to an increase in unit sales of PS4s and an increase in network services
revenue. Operating results are expected to improve primarily due to the impact of the increase in sales and a
decrease in costs related to the launch of the PS4"

Lace

how much longer can they last if these losses continue? genuine question.
Understand that financial statements are far from black and white. Depending on a company's goals you can show profit or decide to go in the red. In this case though certain sections are doing terrible and have been consistently doing so. There's no trickery there. I think it's much more likely you'll see poorly perfominh areas die off before you should be concerned about Sony disappearing. Remember they still have profitable areas so they'll continue to have presence in those like financial services and gaming.

Tldr; Gaming makes them money and PlayStation will continue regardless of what happens to Sony.

Longsword

Why hasn't Sony cut the divisions that are bleeding money?

It is planning to spin off the TV business, and it is selling its PC business to Japan Industrial investment fund, so it is happening.

However, lot of the loss-making divisions are the heart of Sony, and losing them would create catastrophic job losses and a loss of face. Sony is a beloved brand in Japan.

I mean purely as financial decision, focusing on financial services would make most sense, but we would not recognize a Sony that made no electronics.

However, lot of the loss-making divisions are the heart of Sony, and losing them would create catastrophic job losses and a loss of face. Sony is a beloved brand in Japan.

I mean purely as financial decision, focusing on financial services would make most sense, but we would not recognize a Sony that made no electronics.

Tradition might be the one thing that brings down the company and the biggest problem that the electronic sector faces is the premium pricing attached to the mediocre designs of their products. They cannot compete with Samsung or anyone else with its current strategy.

Longsword

Understand that financial statements are far from black and white. Depending on a company's goals you can show profit or decide to go in the red. In this case though certain sections are doing terrible and have been consistently doing so. There's no trickery there. I think it's much more likely you'll see poorly perfominh areas die off before you should be concerned about Sony disappearing. Remember they still have profitable areas so they'll continue to have presence in those like financial services and gaming.

Tldr; Gaming makes them money and PlayStation will continue regardless of what happens to Sony.

A quick glance at the historical data seems to indicate it is a tough call between profit and a loss for the gaming division over its history:

kYbJp.png

The division also lost 2.8 billion in 2012, though it was then part of the other devices it seems.

2013 games division lost 8 million.

Obviously, PS4 is off to a very promising start so hopefully we will see some bumper years for the gaming division in the future!

However, lot of the loss-making divisions are the heart of Sony.

Time to change where their heart belongs. I could see Sony downsizes into just SCE, Sony Picture and financial division in the next 5 years.

Sony is a beloved brand in Japan.

I don't think that's true anymore.

So what happened with the Vita TV in Japan? Did it sell enough for Sony to consider bringing it here?

Imo, with Amazon TV already came out, Vita TV will be re-branded to Playstation TV and will be launched at the same time as PS Now.

As I thought, the electronics are bringing it down. Video camera, laptops, and Vita are pathetic numbers for the year. Sony needs to get rid what is costing them money.

Business

Seems like they are slowly getting on the right track. Kaz could have been more radical in his actions and be quicker to react, but overall I think he is doing a decent job at turning things around for Sony.

Why hasn't Sony cut the divisions that are bleeding money?

the gaming division just lost money
i know

also this

A quick glance at the historical data seems to indicate it is a tough call between profit and a loss for the gaming division over its history:

kYbJp.png

The division also lost 2.8 billion in 2012, though it was then part of the other devices it seems.

2013 games division lost 8 million.

Obviously, PS4 is off to a very promising start so hopefully we will see some bumper years for the gaming division in the future!

mclem

The positive note here is the software : 374 millions ? Damn, if I have counted correctly, Nintendo sold around 122 millions games on DS+3DS+Wii+Wii U for the same fiscal year. Too bad Microsoft doesn't reveal their numbers for software.

I wonder how PS+ plays into the units of software. Is it regarded as a single item of software in itself (given it's about the same price), is each Plus release that's downloaded counted as an item of software, or is Plus completely distinct and the actual amount of software in the wild is much higher?

Pretty terrible all around, PS4 is doing quite well but not enough to overcome the huge marketing push and R&D costs, in addition their software estimates for this year seem very conservative.

One interesting thing to note is that there's no guarantee, but it's possible that the Vita is over 10 million shipments now (Or certainly will surpass it some time this year), given what we can estimate for the PSP sales given it's performance in Japan this past year. Small victories, but it will probably surpass most of the other "Failed" handhelds including the Game Gear when all's said and done.

http://i.imgur.com/kYbJp.png[/ IMG]

[URL="http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-05-10-sony-playstation-division-suffers-full-year-USD2-8bn-loss"]The division also lost 2.8 billion in 2012[/URL], though it was then part of the other devices it seems.

[URL="http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/31/sony-financials-game-business-loses-8-million-projections-slashed/"]2013 games division lost 8 million[/URL].

Obviously, PS4 is off to a very promising start so hopefully we will see some bumper years for the gaming division in the future![/QUOTE]

We have accurate figures now:

2011/12 - 29bn yen operating profit.
2012/13 - 1.7bn yen operating profit.
2013/14 - (8.1bn) yen operating loss.

Sony have restated some of their historical obfuscations. That graph can be reasonably updated now with these figures as they are, to my knowledge, accurate and represent the games+SEN division only.

Completely irrelevant. 1) everyone recognizes that Sony as a whole has been teetering on the edge for quite some time 2) Kaz's changes also have very clear long term benefits, and represents a clear cut strategy 3) Playstation is very healthy and doesn't look like the brand is disappearing anytime soon
Healthy? SCE's projected operating margins are 1.63% for next year. Average Consumer electronic companies have margins of around 9%, and that's not considering the fact that most of the Playstation divisions revenues come from software which should have margins closer to 20%.

Sony anything is far, far from healthy.

mclem

The PS4 is a more important product for Sony than just gaming, it gets boxes under TVs that people interact with. The reason that Samsung and LG are going so hard into smart TV is because they have no product like the PS4 which is connected to the internet to serve consumers directly, TVs are now a conduit for other people's services rather than the profit centres they used to be, so monetising them through smart services is necessary. Smart TV has never really taken off though, those who are inclined to use advanced functionality of their TVs usually have cable or some other premium service and they are also likely to have a PS4 or XB1 as well.

Therein lies the importance of the PS4, it feeds into their media divisions and even smartphones with companion apps and off screen functionality. Once their IPTV service launches, that will increase profits not only within the game division, but also for SPE. If they do it right and bundle 6 months of IPTV with certain smartphones, it will also help their smartphones and tablets division and help differentiate their products from the myriad of competition.

The PS4 is not just about games, and also remember that the PS4 is sold at a loss, this will improve over time and once the hardware becomes profitable the division level operating profit will look a lot healthier.

What's the endgame here if the Playstation (and I guess Financial Services) keep being reasonably stable but the rest of Sony keeps tanking? Spinning off into separate businesses without the liabilities of the rest of the company dragging them down?

Longsword

What's the endgame here if the Playstation (and I guess Financial Services) keep being reasonably stable but the rest of Sony keeps tanking? Spinning off into separate businesses without the liabilities of the rest of the company dragging them down?

As noted above Sony is already spinning off the TV business and selling the PC business. That should (hopefully) help.

Fehyd

Banned
Tradition might be the one thing that brings down the company and the biggest problem that the electronic sector faces is the premium pricing attached to the mediocre designs of their products. They cannot compete with Samsung or anyone else with its current strategy.

Well, at least in TV's, they're not the ones with the mediocre designs. The issue is that consumers will buy absolute crap (some of the worst panels in cheap Samsungs) simply because they're cheap.

Healthy? SCE's projected operating margins are 1.63% for next year. Average Consumer electronic companies have margins of around 9%, and that's not considering the fact that most of the Playstation divisions revenues come from software which should have margins closer to 20%.

Sony anything is far, far from healthy.

Yeah the only division doing really well is the finance division (17% opt margin)

Road

Even without the PC software impairment of 6.2 billion yen, Game business would still have lost 1.9 billion yen.

Tired of rolling my eyes at Sony restructuring segments again.

I don't know what the hell "Network Services" they're including with Game are, but I know they''re not a good thing.

Game operating income

FY2013
without NS: -8.1 bn
with NS: -18.8 bn
negative impact of 10.7 billion yen

FY2012
without NS: +1.7 bn
with NS: -3.7 bn
negative impact of 5.4 billion yen

Some terribly lossy operation.

sony_game_q_2014xfjbh.png

sony_game_2014_new20wjfm.png

And the old style:
sony_game_2014glyu4.png

More charts will be difficult until Sony start reporting Game separately again. =\

I don't understand how a company can keep on going after so many years of losing money

Critically, the core business is actually marginally profitable and they decreased their net indebtedness by around $500m over the year and increased their revolving finance facilities to over $7bn (access to money if they need it, Moody's am cry). A lot of the losses over the last few years have been paper losses, asset impairments, DTA write downs and such. What that means is money either spent in the past or in the case of a DTA, the asset taken on for tax losses carried forwards, are now being written off as they are not going to get that money back. They spent the money, previously and now they won't get it back through their normal operations.

It is a huge difference to a company that actually loses money outright where their normal operations cost more than the revenue they generate from sales. Nintendo are in this category which is why their situation seems worse than Sony's and they don't really have a clear path to recovery like Sony (getting rid of the TV division) because their problems stem from deeper issues such as smartphones killing their handheld business and being stupidly uncompetitive in the home console market.

For all their current faults, Sony still have a profitable smartphones division, a hugely profitable financial services division, their content division (pictures+music) reliably makes $1bn per year in operating profit and their games division seems to be recovering very nicely after the PS3 caused so much turmoil. In essence if they jettison the TV division they would be pretty healthy and though they would hold a significant amount of debt but they would be profitable, more than enough to redeem bonds and meet their financial obligations. I guess the issue is that it has cost Sony $1.7bn to exit PCs and I expect the cost of exiting TVs would be double because all 30,000 employees would need paying off and the losses on current stock and contracts would need to be written off.

Essentially, though it is true they lose money, a lot of it is on paper, and the core business is generating cash.

They should get rid of the mobile division. It's a lost cause and bleeding money.

The part of it that loses money (PC) just got chopped. The smartphones and tablets are profitable.

spekkeh

Banned
Those are some tiny tiny margins. PS4 is going to lead, but it seems that it won't be the money printer that Wii was. Hopefully it picks up with a larger install base due to licensing.

Smart TV has never really taken off though, those who are inclined to use advanced functionality of their TVs usually have cable or some other premium service and they are also likely to have a PS4 or XB1 as well.
?? To my mind Samsung is absolutely dominating the TV space due to having better smart tv features than the competition. Once you go smart tv, you never go back to settop.

I don't know what the hell "Network Services" they're including with Game are, but I know they''re not a good thing.

Game operating income

FY2013
without NS: -8.1 bn
with NS: -18.8 bn
negative impact of 10.7 billion yen

FY2012
without NS: +1.7 bn
with NS: -3.7 bn
negative impact of 5.4 billion yen

Some terribly lossy operation.

http://abload.de/img/sony_game_q_2014xfjbh.png[/I MG]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/sony_game_2014_new20wjfm.png[/ IMG]

And the old style:
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/sony_game_2014glyu4.png[/ IMG]

More charts will be difficult until Sony start reporting Game separately again. =\[/QUOTE]

Network Services is SEN/PSN, a core part of the games business. It is all part and parcel of delivering games content. PS Now investment will be what is causing the losses for that segment. It should be included for the purposes of the graph as PS+ sub fees are probably recorded in that division.

Metallix87

Well, at least in TV's, they're not the ones with the mediocre designs. The issue is that consumers will buy absolute crap (some of the worst panels in cheap Samsungs) simply because they're cheap.

The average consumer wants lower prices because, to them, the differences in the products are negligible. Sony needs to either keep up with the market and design products that fit that desire, or abandon ship completely.

Top Bottom