• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Planning To Release About 2-3 Vita Games Per Month

Kerrby

Banned
So, based on a quick google search, Sony's announced games are:

Launch Day:
-Uncharted: Golden Abyss
-Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
-Little Deviants
-ModNation Racers: Road Trip
-WipEout 2048
-Escape Plan (PSN Only)
-Hustle Kings (PSN Only)
-Super StarDust Delta (PSN Only)
-Motorstorm RC (PSN Only)

Launch "Window":
-Gravity Rush
-MLB 12 The Show
-Reality Fighters
-Unit 13

Other:
-LittleBigPlanet Vita
-Resistance: Burning Skies
-Warrior's Lair (Ruin)
-Killzone Vita
-Media Molecule's Game (Technically Unannounced)

Presumably, to keep this up, they will need to announce some more games sooner than later.

Sound Shapes, Top Darts, Plants vs Zombies, Dust 514, Jak and Daxter Collection (so I'm told), Malicious, Smart As, Broken (if not cancelled).

That's about all I can think of at the moment, most of their games announced are coming at launch.

IrishNinja

You must have, because I REALLY don't think multiplayer gaming would've taken off if everyone had to have wired connections. What WAS debunked was playing those games over 3G connections, so unless 4G really improves there somehow and is in the next system update cellphone internet's no good. Still means you could play a game of CoD at a Starbucks or college lounge though.

ah, you're right - my mistake. really stacks the cards against the 3G model though, if the AT&T thing alone didn't do it. wifi is clearly the way to go.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
myself, i acknowledge the great strength of the DS' library, but ironically, very little of that actually came from nintendo: i personally didn't care for their mario, zelda, metroid etc offerings on that system at all, and even successful stuff like brain age didn't move me. what did, however, was stuff i wasnt expecting at all: TWEWY, phoenix wright series, and more visual novel stuff like 999, hotel dusk and the like - stuff i didnt even think i wanted, you know?

i realize this is anecdotal, so the thread's point: i don't think the Vita's gonna explode via UC, or even Monster Hunter, to the extent sony might want. they're gonna help, no doubt, but i keep thinking a great avenue is the way they hedged their bets with android development - using your nintendo comparison, it creates a net vastly larger for capturing the next big minecraft or the like, from the ground floor.

oh i totally get what you are saying , no worries - the 3DS/Vita defining games? we probably have no idea what they are yet - they'll be completely new franchises/ideas that will come out of nowhere.

Likewise, my DS collection whilst now culled is still frigging huge. So many great games that, like you say, i just had no idea i wanted.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Fucktards have been saying this about just about every Sony console released.

Fucktards end up looking fucktarded.

Forum posts - serious business. Relax, I was joking, I don't seriously believe the Vita will be dead and buried in 2 months. 2-3 games per month, if it's a combination of retail and PSN games, doesn't sound too unreasonable.

But even so, I think you can call LBP and MNR ports, and the Gran Turismo that the PSP eventually got was basically a half-assed port of GT4 - just the arcade mode with new menus and what, a dozen new cars.

I don't understand why when Sony make a console game iteration in a portable is a port, but when Nintendo do the same is, obviously a new iteration.

F#A#Oo

Banned
So your argument is that all sony makes in regards to the vita is console ports?

What? No...I'm saying they have a console heritage and feel in most cases and if Sony wanrs to go down that route they have to make it a fresh and unique experience...

They "only" need to make quality games. I don't think people care whether it's rhetorically handheld games/ports or console ports/games.

Sometimes, the line is not that clear cut to begin with.

Ofcourse...and I agree its not clear cut.

That being said Sony are failing to sell the Vita games and what it brings to the table other than PS3 visuals...because that's what average joe knows and see's...

Why is it that Apple can get people to buy their products the minute they are introduced but Sony has people being sceptical/bemused and scratching their heads?

When Apple or Nintendo try and sell you something they aren't afraid to sell you the gimmicky part of the concept and products...

This filters down to the developers and eventually if all you propose is the same stuff done previously that is what you'll get...and thats what Vita is heading towards...just more of the same.

Kuran

Banned
That being said Sony are failing to sell the Vita games and what it brings to the table other than PS3 visuals...because that's what average joe knows and see's...

That's just your objective negativity on the matter. You write off Vita saying its 'just graphics', to me its' dual analog controls, good d-pad and the best digital delivery for any dedicated games device out there.

Why is it that Apple can get people to buy their products the minute they are introduced but Sony has people being sceptical/bemused and scratching their heads?

When Apple or Nintendo try and sell you something they aren't afraid to sell you the gimmicky part of the concept and products...

You can't compare Apple to any other company. Steve Jobs delivered the hardware and software that the world wanted. That has nothing to do with gaming whatsoever. Apple doesn't give a flying fuck about gaming.

Maybe that will change with Steve gone, but I doubt it. I don't know why you use gimmicky and Apple in the same sentence. Apple has nothing to do with the word 'gimmicky', they are all about careful elimination of anything even close to that definition.

Why is it better to have gimmicky games than to just focus on 'good' games?

Why should I still care if a game is portable or not? Ever since the PSP I'd been perfectly able to put my PSP on hold/sleep when the train arrives, and I can just continue whenever I have more time to play. I want the choice to play a short burst of something simple like Super Stardust Delta or something in-depth like Demon's Souls.

The only real choice I am making with the Vita is not to be tethered to a television set any longer, just like I no longer use any desktop computers for my computer gaming.

Why should a handheld limit what kind of games I can play? That is sentiment from times now past where handhelds were limited in processing power and control inputs.

This filters down to the developers and eventually if all you propose is the same stuff done previously that is what you'll get...and thats what Vita is heading towards...just more of the same.

Why are you assuming that all Sony is proposing is the same stuff? Do you want to think they are only about Killzone and Uncharted? Have you seen Gravity Daze yet? What about The Last Guy? What about Echocrome? What about Loco Roco? ...

I guess you don't care.

Averon

Sony says they'll release a steady stream of games each month:
"Lawls!", "Sony don't know what they're doing", "Ports, ports, ports!!"

Sony doesn't release a steady stream of content:
"Vita is (more) doomed", "Sony is idiots", "PSP redux"

Seems Sony can't win no matter what they do.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I hope they deliver.

The 3DS last year was one of the weakest launches and early periods of any recent system. There were no killer apps at launch and then we had a dry spell for months. The first games that interested me were ports (Zelda and Starfox). The system didn't really deliver something great until Mario 3D Land, I felt. It took way too long for solid games to start hitting.

Why should I still care if a game is portable or not? Ever since the PSP I'd been perfectly able to put my PSP on hold/sleep when the train arrives, and I can just continue whenever I have more time to play. I want the choice to play a short burst of something simple like Super Stardust Delta or something in-depth like Demon's Souls.

The only real choice I am making with the Vita is not to be tethered to a television set any longer, just like I no longer use any desktop computers for my computer gaming.

Why should a handheld limit what kind of games I can play? That is sentiment from times now past where handhelds were limited in processing power and control inputs.

So much this. Handhelds are more reliable than consoles, you cannot simply leave PS3/X360 going through the night (or you shouldn't at least). BAM! Sleep mode (I never understood why people complain about games not being "bite-size portable bursts", you can pause at any time ffs), play tommorow. Wake up, not wanting to move, TV in another room? Grab a VITA, fire up Demons' Souls, etc.

I hope Sony will push with some easy way to port things from PS3 or from PS4.

F#A#Oo

Banned
That's just your objective negativity on the matter. You write off Vita saying its 'just graphics', to me its' dual analog controls, good d-pad and the best digital delivery for any dedicated games device out there.

Yes...and? is average joe who is going to walk into a store and look at the specs you just rolled off and decide their purchase based off these facts? No...they will not.

Word-of-mouth and perception are the determining factors...

You can't compare Apple to any other company. Steve Jobs delivered the hardware and software that the world wanted. That has nothing to do with gaming whatsoever. Apple doesn't give a flying fuck about gaming.

Maybe that will change with Steve gone, but I doubt it. I don't know why you use gimmicky and Apple in the same sentence. Apple has nothing to do with the word 'gimmicky', they are all about careful elimination of anything even close to that definition..

What? You know Siri that's Apples latest gimmick (technically it's iBooks author - but it could actually have a lasting effect on publishing)...Apple is all about gimmicks...they never launch things without one or two to spring on people.

Why is it better to have gimmicky games than to just focus on 'good' games?

I don't understand...gimmicky games can be good games...infact every game has a gimmick or two...you just choose to not acknowledge them as such.

I'm assuming you view the word as holding a negative meaning and context. Everything you have and own has been advertised with a gimmick which you have bought into in order to convince yourself to purchase such and such...

Why are you assuming that all Sony is proposing is the same stuff? Do you want to think they are only about Killzone and Uncharted? Have you seen Gravity Daze yet? What about The Last Guy? What about Echocrome? What about Loco Roco? ...

I guess you don't care.

Gravity Daze looks pretty good and peaks my interest...

The rest have been done before in various iterations...they are nothing new unless one is a fan of the games...

What am I suppose to care about exactly?

I can say I care about wanting fresh and unique games to a platform...if I can play that game on a console it's already off my list of games to play automatically. I am purely in it for the new idea/concepts...I'll even buy badly reviewed games if they are unique and different enough...because in my mind they've actually made an effort to create something that isn't cookie-cutter and from a template design...

I saw your post I don't remember what it said particularly but it was Nintendo related and seemed to assume I'm a Nintendo fanboy or something. Pikmin avatar is deceiving...

One look at my profile will tell you I own all the current gen consoles...and my PS3 is the most prized of my consoles...

Sony need to make handheld games not console ports...its not rocket science.

What does "handheld game" even mean? Sleep mode enables you to play the game whenever you want. It has been with us since forever.

StuBurns

Banned
Ironically, take a look at the best selling PSP games:

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Gran Turismo
Dexter
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Need for Speed Most Wanted 5-1-0
Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition
Monster Hunter Freedom
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Wipeout Pure

All of them I'd consider to be derived from a console franchise. They're all 'console' style games. It does seem to be what people want. No Locoroco, no Crush, no Exit, no Metal Gear Ac!d, no Lumines, no Prinny, no 'handheld' games at all.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I saw your post I don't remember what it said particularly but it was Nintendo related and seemed to assume I'm a Nintendo fanboy or something. Pikmin avatar is deceiving...

actually, the part i removed was more to do with opinions in general - i think the Vita/3DS has raised a bewildering nest of opinions. The Nintendo part was a quip about 3rd parties - largely removed because it wasn't funny ;)

I know you, you've been around for a while and know you have no particular ties - i was removing my own comments because they were unnecessary and weren't adding anything

What does "handheld game" even mean? Sleep mode enables you to play the game whenever you want. It has been with us since forever.

For example, I never was able to find time enought to finish Disgaea 1 in PS2. But I finished Disgaea PSP without problems, in small 10 minutes bursts.

Am I wrong, or do we see claims like this out of every platform holder in the early days of a console?

"In case you're considering buying our new console, just letting you know, we're gonna have a shit ton of amazing games coming on a regular basis".

F#A#Oo

Banned
actually, the part i removed was more to do with opinions in general - i think the Vita/3DS has raised a bewildering nest of opinions. The Nintendo part was a quip about 3rd parties - largely removed because it wasn't funny ;)

I know you, you've been around for a while and know you have no particular ties - i was removing my own comments because they were unnecessary and weren't adding anything

Ahh ok... That's cool...:)

I don't know how I should feel with regards to being recognised...too much time on GAF... :D

Nintendo's initial US lineup for comparison. They averaged around 2 releases per month overall, tough there's a good amount of ports (8) and there was a good 2 month gap with nothing post launch.

Launch Day
-Nintendogs + Cats
-PilotWings Resort
-Steel Diver

Launch Window
-3D Classics: Excitebike (eShop)
-Pokédex 3D (eShop)
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Launch Year
-Nintendo Video (eShop)
-3D Classics: Xevious (eShop)
-3D Classics: Urban Champion (eShop)
-Star Fox 64 3D
-3D Classics: TwinBee (eShop)
-Tetris Axis
-Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive! (eShop)
-Pokémon Rumble Blast
-Super Mario 3D Land
-3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (eShop)
-Pushmo (eShop)
-Mario Kart 7
-Swapnote (eShop)
-Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword (eShop)
-3D Classics: Kid Icarus (eShop)
-Kid Icarus: Uprising
-Dillon's Rolling Western (eShop)
-Speedthru: Potzol's Puzzle (eShop)

NHale

Am I wrong, or do we see claims like this out of every platform holder in the early days of a console?

"In case you're considering buying our new console, just letting you know, we're gonna have a shit ton of amazing games coming on a regular basis".

Well it would be pretty stupid for any platform holder to come out and say "Hey guys, we don't have any decent games coming in the next 6-9 months. Please buy our new console, ok? Thanks!"

I'm far more interested in Vita than the 3DS. If it has games that interest me by the end of April, then Sony you got yourself a buyer!

theBishop

Banned
There are enough exciting games coming to Vita in the first 6 months to keep me engaged. I wish somebody was ready with an early online FPS, but oh well. A big reason I'm excited for Vita is the advanced PSN features. I don't think it's a stretch to say Sony has surpassed Microsoft in feature set. But without some great online games the new features are going to waste.

Vita still has a problem with 3rd parties. Ubisoft and EA came through with some decent ports for launch, but we need to see some original Vita games soon. I doubt we'll hear anything about Bioshock until after Infinite is released, so that could easily be a 2014 title.

NHale

There are enough exciting games coming to Vita in the first 6 months to keep me engaged. I wish somebody was ready with an early online FPS, but oh well. A big reason I'm excited for Vita is the advanced PSN features. I don't think it's a stretch to say Sony has surpassed Microsoft in feature set. But without some great online games the new features are going to waste.

Vita still has a problem with 3rd parties. Ubisoft and EA came through with some decent ports for launch, but we need to see some original Vita games soon. I doubt we'll hear anything about Bioshock until after Infinite is released, so that could easily be a 2014 title.

Unit 13?

Patapwn

What? No...I'm saying they have a console heritage and feel in most cases and if Sony wanrs to go down that route they have to make it a fresh and unique experience...

They are making ahhh... 'fresh and unique' experiences. Take a look at gravity daze, escape plan, Sound shapes, etc.

There is no reason to act like sony isn't doing this regardless of opinion of whether you're interested in the titles or not. Actually, Sony is bringing more new ips in the vita's launch than
Nintendo did for the 3ds. As far as fresh and unique experiences, they seem to be ahead of the curve.

And might I remind you that this was your original claim
Sony need to make handheld games not console ports...its not rocket science.

Why are you so taken aback by addressing exactly what you said?

We will have a solid two weeks from Vita launch until GDC. Sony is monitoring the situation I hope. It wouldn't be bad to switch some announcements from E3 to GDC if the situation requires it.

Top Bottom