• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is working on Remote Play function for PC/MAC.

Trup1aya

I'll be honest and say I feel like this is a waste of resources in that it caters to some super small niche. Sony has s lot of things to work on besides this to make their OS and ecosystem better.

Maybe to you, but u find remote streaming extremely useful on my xb1.

Having this feature on PC AND Mac for PS4 will be extremely useful.

Silvard

It's nice, but I'm not sure where the excitement is coming from since Twisted already has people covered for this. You have to wonder if Sony would have even bothered if it wasn't for him putting in the hard work and finding an audience that really wants it.

This will be official (ie. likely better supported, without any need of any work arounds), free and coming to OS X.

Who knows if they would have bothered, it's always their prerogative to do so. Considering the the homebrewed app isn't even released yet I don't see why it matters.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
News of this before official DS3/4 drivers somewhat strikes me as putting the cart before the horse.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That's super cool. I'll never use it, but that is really cool.

kiguel182

I'll be honest and say I feel like this is a waste of resources in that it caters to some super small niche. Sony has s lot of things to work on besides this to make their OS and ecosystem better.

They already push remote play a ton so clearly there's interest. Expanding this functionality to more devices it's a good thing.

Also, Microsoft is doing the same so they aren't the only ones.

Here. In short, the patent that Immersion sued Sony over claims priority to a patent from November 30, 1995, and patents are good for 20 years from the priority date.

The patent covers stuff like rumble in the DualShock and force feedback in steering wheels. Basically, the terms of the original settlement said that Sony had to negotiate a new license agreement for every new version of the PlayStation (PS1, PS2, etc.) and they were only allowed to sublicense the tech to other companies specifically making controllers for the appropriate PlayStation.

So if Sony wants to make DS4s work on a PC, or if Logitech wanna make their PS3 wheels compatible with PS4, then new deals need to be negotiated with Immersion. But come December, they'll be able to do whatever they want, and Immersion won't be able to say anything about it. (Assuming they didn't sign contracts that extend past the expiry of the patent.)
Wow, this helps explain timetables for all the immersion and feedback accesories and may explain why Move wasn't fully supported.

I've read many papers stating Casual gaming will start in 2016 and I assumed it was because the consoles will start being sold more for Media features to casual gamers. I'd guess your post factors into this more but both support casual gaming making a comeback in 2016. PS1 and PS2 emulation was just announced for the PS4, PS4 firmware update 3.10 supported Parental support for age restricted sub accounts.

Fliesen

Microsoft only streams to Xbone <---> PC, right?

I'm much more intrigued streaming my console to my (relatively underpowered, yet mobile) MacBook than to my PC.

ISee

News of this before official DS3/4 drivers somewhat strikes me as putting the cart before the horse.

I do not understand why people are expecting a driver change. When you plug in a DS4 controller, windows will recognize it as a basic game controller. It even works in some games like Witcher 3 (since patch 1.07; just tested it), AC:Unity and rocket league (not tested by me). The only downfall is that it doesn't use the Xinput API, so most games do not recognize it natively and of course the touchpad is inactive.
And I do not think that sony is going to change that and yes it's a mistake.

edit:
I am also interested to learn when development started...

Freeman

Banned
They should also have a PC storefront, with crossbuy with console for the games available on both, I know I would get all my games in there(specially indies) and they would make a lot of money without taking anything away from consoles and with very little investment.

Kezen

Banned
They should also have a PC storefront, with crossbuy with console for the games available on both, I know I would get all my games in there and they would make a lot of money without taking anything away from consoles and with very little investment.

They seem focused on driving PS4 sales, I'm not sure how this fits into this plan at all.
Rather they will extend their PS Now service to Windows and Mac, but I strongly doubt they have any plans to make native PC ports of their PS IPs.

artsi

DS4 has drivers, Windows recognizes it and games can use the full functionality of DS4 if they just program it in.

I don't think it's up to Sony to have their controller emulate the X360 pad, if you want it to work with xinput.

Freeman

Banned
They seem focused on driving PS4 sales, I'm not sure how this fits into this plan at all.
Rather they will extend their PS Now service to Windows and Mac, but I strongly doubt they have any plans to make native PC ports of their PS IPs.
It gets you in their ecosystem, PS4 only games remain PS4 only, that wasn't my point. They would have a pretty big differential and would be a major player in two markets. Everyone that own a PS4 also owns a PC/Notebook, so they would be adding value to everyone.

They could even go further and expand the trophies and IGC to PC games as well, it would also be great if we had proper support for DualShock with the X[ ]/\O showing up instead of Xbox's ABYX.

Kezen

Banned
It gets you in their ecosystem, PS4 only games remain PS4 only, that wasn't my point. They would have a pretty big differential and would be a major player in two markets. Everyone that own a PS4 also owns a PC/Notebook, so they would be adding value to everyone.

They could even go further and expand the trophies and IGC to PC games as well, it would also be great if we had proper support for DualShock with the X[ ]/\O showing up instead of Xbox's ABYX.

Who knows what the future holds but I still don't see how this is beneficial for them. I can see the incentive for Microsoft to do such a thing, in fact they already have done so with their Windows 10 Store. It is barren for now but they are actually porting some games to Windows 10, not their AAA stuff of course.

orava

I hope the unofficial version will be kept alive. The official one might be easier to setup but is most likely much more limited.

Super hyped for the app since It enables me to play on my underpowered Macbook while my GF is using the TV. I don't get why people label this feature as "not useful" or criticise Sony as "getting their priorities wrong". Like, not at all. Why do people frequently need to draw conclusions on others based on their own habits when it comes to such features?

I do not understand why people are expecting a driver change. When you plug in a DS4 controller, windows will recognize it as a basic game controller. It even works in some games like Witcher 3 (since patch 1.07; just tested it), AC:Unity and rocket league (not tested by me). The only downfall is that it doesn't use the Xinput API, so most games do not recognize it natively and of course the touchpad is inactive.
And I do not think that sony is going to change that and yes it's a mistake.

edit:
I am also interested to learn when development started...
W3C "standard" Gamepad supported by HTML5 browsers and the APP framework.

standardgamepad.png

The above is supposed to be supported in a HTML browser. Sony wants to support an APP using the browser framework that has support for most of the features including social like audio/video chat seen or soon to be seen in the PS4. This likely won't come till the PS4 supports ooVoo in game; first quarter 2016 (by March).

mrklaw

MrArseFace

The response in this thread suggests it isn't such a niche offering. And Sony have leveraged remote play and the surrounding technology quite a bit - live streaming, shareplay, remote play to vita/PSTV - all use the same core technology.

So adding a new client to that probably doesn't take a huge amount of resources away from the PS4 OS team and shouldn't be massively difficult to put together, yet arguably provides another nice addition to their platform - especially when Xbox supports this already.

orava

"Some people asked if we plan to provide Remote Play function to PC..." Just after a unofficial one was released.

That sony spin.

thenexus6

I put a preview of Win 10 on my macbook just before it launched earlier this year. The Xbox app was so cool, and as a PS4 owner it completely sucks there is nothing like it. Even managing your profile via the website sucks.

A fully featured app is what I want, with remote play. That would be killer.

That'd be a use case. For me, I share my 1 monitor between my PC/PS4, so this is definitely nice if I want to multitask. Nice way to capture footage as well.
That's why I want the DS4 to be connected to the PS4. No need to use a BT adapter and add extra input lag.

I want to be able to multitask when I'm grinding trophies. My PC and my PS4 are connected via Gigabit Ethernet* on the same switch/router, so it should work flawlessly with zero packet loss/pixelation/lag! :D

* Fast Ethernet will suffice too. 720p60 doesn't need more than 10 Mbps.

ps: Does anyone know if the lack of 1080p streaming is a hardware restriction? Could it be because they don't want to waste that precious GDDR5 memory bandwidth? The AMD VCE block supports 1080p60: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Coding_Engine

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I like streaming my XB1 to PC and wanted to do the same with my PS4 so this is good news. The only thing worrying me is the internet speed on the PS4. Even over ethernet it ain't that great. I get about 40 down when I should be getting 70-75.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Why don't they wait for the conference instead of making these announcements already?
It's obvious they have so many megatons, they have to talk about some of these early on. My post about the game line-up is real. ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Omikaru

Windows 10 tablets (with attached controller) suddenly get a hell of a lot more awesome. Steam In-home Streaming, Xbox One Streaming, and now PS4 Remote Play.

I bet a lot of people are hugging their HP Stream 7 (or similar) tablets right about now...

Azzurri

I love this.

I'm sure there are people like me with huge 4K TV's and rather play on their PC monitor which is like 27". I think it's because when I play I like having my TV on for the ambient noise, like ESPN or something else and when I use my TV to play it's just the game. I know that sounds weird, but I do. This way I can play at my PC and have my TV on.

Top Bottom