• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony merges Gaming, Computer and Mobile Media groups, but lil' Johnny can't read

Opiate

Malvolio said:
Well the surgeon will have that information. What you want is for the whole waiting room to also be privy to that info. Can't say I blame you, but apparently this is how things will work in this industry now.

edit: I'm sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Good explanation, though.

Barrett2

seat said:
I'm surprised people are trying to spin this into good news for Sony.

Just be glad the fanboys are too busy playing KZ2 to pay attention. I would bail out now before it really gets crazy in here.

seat said:
I'm surprised people are trying to spin this into good news for Sony.

There's nothing to spin. There was a thread about this earlier, with a less sensationalist headline, and it came and went without any hoopla.

Vinci

Danish
Opiate said:
Sony will know. Investors will not.

This way, Sony can maintain hemmorhaging product lines without shareholders screaming for their heads. If the only thing investors know is that a large division is losing money, they cannot point to a single thing and say, "Get rid of that! We hate it!" and removes pressure on the company that they may view as shortsighted.

No, now they'll finally get around to discontinuing the poor Walkman even when it's not the one at fault! *sniffs*

I loved my Walkman.

When I was 12.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Sensational thread title FTL. A real headline would be Sony reorgs, moves divisions around.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
SolidSnakex said:
There's nothing to spin. There was a thread about this earlier, with a less sensationalist headline, and it came and went without any hoopla.

Sony ceasing video game production isn't worthy of hoopla?

Opiate

Forsete said:
Let me quote myself. OLD NEWS IS OLD.

Awesome post, would read again.

That post is clearly not adequate. It simply states: "Things are changing a lot at Sony," and does not clearly state how this directly affects the Games division. Read the thread: it's clear that most people simply understood that Stringer was now President, and that was about it.

PLEASE let this mean better business decisions by Sony. They have a Playstation Movie store and... Walkman's that play protected WMV video. They have a music label... and no music store for the PSP, Walkman etc.

Stringer has been talking about connected devices for a couple of years now and the PS3/PSP combo is the perfect starting point, but he has yet to deliver. Now, STEP UP!

Forsete

Opiate said:
That post is clearly not adequate. It simply states: "Things are changing a lot at Sony," and does not clearly state how this directly affects the Games division. Read the thread: it's clear that most people simply understood that Stringer was now President, and that was about it.

Read further into the thread, it was discussed. But whatever, trap all the illiterate trolls in this thread. The other thread title didn't grab their ADD attention.

Forsete said:
You probably need to revisit 1st class, when we learned to READ. :lol

Relax, relax. Don't stress out over it, people will mis-read the post and misunderstand but it isn't your problem...or is it?

Opiate

Eggo said:
Sensational thread title FTL. A real headline would be Sony reorgs, moves divisions around.

No, they are not moving divisions around. That is incorrect. They are eliminating divisions, and creating new ones. That is the correct terminology, and absolutely appropriate. The Games Division no longer exists. SCE does.

Any "sensationalism" you may be experiencing arises from an inadequate knowledge of corporate jargon, because saying a Division has been eliminated never presumes that the products therein have ceased production. "Games Division" is a Division, a concept, and not the actual product itself. That Division is gone, it does not exist any longer, it is eliminated.

Does anyone have the dead parrot sketch available?

Cobra84

Merging a division that has to against Microsoft with one that has to work with Microsoft probably isn't a great idea.

Forsete

Anerythristic said:
Relax, relax. Don't stress out over it, people will mis-read the post and misunderstand but it isn't your problem...or is it?

No it really isn't. I cant force people to go back to school or fix broken education systems that cant even teach basic "reading and understanding". Or force people to take their ADD meds.
Oh world, why must you be so broken?:(

This move makes a lot of sense. Everyone needs to have these integrated experiences. It seems like this is their move into that arena.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Secret PS3 game revealed: Sony Walkman Singalong 2009.

Seriously, this is quite interesting. As our neat little consoles become the household entertainment hubs of the future, it is entirely appropriate that the gaming division be rolled into the same house as the Vaio and other networked products. There shouldn`t be a ``Playstation`` division because the Playstation as a standalone gaming device will not exist after this generation.

Sony is FINALLY getting around to it: better integrating the resources and knowledge among the various product centers in the company. Many of Sony`s problems have come from each product existing in its own silo without any connection to the Company`s broader goals. Unfortunately for Stringer it took the worst recession in history to give him the power to finally implement these changes.

Kujo

Walkman players are awesome. Got one for AU$50, best MP3 player I've owned.

2u437u9.jpg

xbhaskarx

Cobra84 said:
Merging a division that has to against Microsoft with one that has to work with Microsoft probably isn't a great idea.

I just canceled my Killzone 2 preorder, I would much rather play it with a superior 360 controller when it comes to Games for Windows next year.

WinFonda

Mojo said:
Walkman players are awesome. Got one for AU$50, best MP3 player I've owned.

2u437u9.jpg
Ooh, that does look pretty nice. I just think a rebranding is in order. Walkman is a relic from the 80s.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
lawblob said:
Just be glad the fanboys are too busy playing KZ2 to pay attention. I would bail out now before it really gets crazy in here.
[Nintex] said:
Now Kaz can be industry leader in all those fields, I predict a glorious future for Sony.
lawblob said:
They still make Walkmen?
Roders5 said:
Gotta hide those loses somewhere
Actually I'd say the fanboys have already arrived.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
yoopoo said:
Walkmans are some of the best mp3 players out right now...you people are idiots.

They are however, the worst software company going. Non gaming. The proprietary software they come up with for their pc's and such bloooows.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Flynn said:
Please rewrite the thread title and make it less bias.

"Bloomberg: Sony Electronics says everything is fine and dandy like sour candy"

How's that?

Goldrusher

somuchwater said:
PLEASE let this mean better business decisions by Sony. They have a Playstation Movie store and... Walkman's that play protected WMV video. They have a music label... and no music store for the PSP, Walkman etc.

Stringer has been talking about connected devices for a couple of years now and the PS3/PSP combo is the perfect starting point, but he has yet to deliver. Now, STEP UP!
They know.

That's why Howard Stringer is now the big boss. You know, the guy who said a few months ago "We're so big that we're making the same thing twice in different parts of the company".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM9_dMshX6U

Forsete

Musashi: Those days are long gone.. well, recently gone. ;)

The new MP3 players work really well and dont require any specific software. The UI itself is also great.
PS3s XMB+PSN store has turned into something really really nice.
Also Sony Vegas (that whole line actually, audio editing software as well) is really nice.

Software wise its looking much better already.

Wait isn't this a good thing ?

Sony's problem as a company was that none of their division communicated or coordinated with each other. Wouldn't merging their divisions help their direct their focus ?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
As discussed earlier..divisions are being marshalled into two new umbrella groups, but they remain as indivdual divisions, they're not being 'eliminated'. As the PR states, Kaz is still President and Group CEO of SCE in addition to his new role. If they were merging divisions that would seem unnecessary.

And actually, politically within Sony this is good news for SCE. PSN 'won' in terms of the competing network strategies within Sony, and Stringer's basically forcing the other divisions to fall under its banner. Kaz is also being promoted to Executive Vice President at Sony overall, which increases his influence further.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
RSTEIN said:

Seriously, this is quite interesting. As our neat little consoles become the household entertainment hubs of the future, it is entirely appropriate that the gaming division be rolled into the same house as the Vaio and other networked products. There shouldn`t be a ``Playstation`` division because the Playstation as a standalone gaming device will not exist after this generation.

Sony is FINALLY getting around to it: better integrating the resources and knowledge among the various product centers in the company. Many of Sony`s problems have come from each product existing in its own silo without any connection to the Company`s broader goals. Unfortunately for Stringer it took the worst recession in history to give him the power to finally implement these changes.

Nailed it. I hope they make it through this recession to see what they can give us. They already make some fantastic stuff and to see it all work together would be great.

Also WTF at people being completely clueless about the Walkman. Seriously? Love mine, they deserve more praise and sales.

jaypah

Trailblazer said:
Wait isn't this a good thing ?

Sony's problem as a company was that none of their division communicated or coordinated with each other. Wouldn't merging their divisions help their direct their focus ?

yeah. and reading the thread it seems like people think that Sony needed to do this. not much doom and gloom here.

RSTEIN said:

Unfortunately the trolls won't read this.

Top Bottom