• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PSP2 (NGP) will be affordable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

LCfiner said:
Affordable... for gazillionaires!

If they go for broke and sell this for 300, then I'm in on day one. If only for the tech lust factor.
I haven't made my mind up yet, but $299 is definitely the breaking point.

You know what? As hilarious as a high price would be, if this things sub-250, I think I'll probably go insane.

Day 1 no matter what the price.

Soo..

'At a loss' means $500? Which would mean £500 for me.. Yeah right!

We don't know yet. All I know if it's anywhere near the 3DS price I will be getting the NGP instead.

Kuran

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
The iPad is a not a dedicated gaming console. Let's not pretend the PSP2 is something other than that. They are considerably different products.

On that note, the Ipad is directed to a much larger audience than the PSP2. This will be one of the biggest flaws of Sony's console.

Apple is also a much stronger brand than Sony right now. Suffice to say, the PSP/PS3 doesn't exactly have the same recognition or popularity as the iPod/iPad/iPhone combo right now.

Sony clearly do not get it. Neither do Nintendo, for that matter, except for the 3D thing. They are stepping backwards by removing aspects that made the DS successful whilst Sony is standing still and keeping aspects that made the PSP/PS3 model broken.

That was my point Alkaline, the iPad is 'just' an entertainment device. Sure you can create music and edit some documents on it, check your mail.. but nothing that makes a laptop unmissable. As an entertainment device, it seems PSP2 hits on much of the same notes.. and goes well beyond the iPad when it comes to gaming.

I fail to see how adding features people want (dual sticks, touch screen) and adding unexpected stuff such as an OLED quality screen, back touch-pad, 3G, can somehow be spun as Sony not getting it.

What was their alternative? And I'd love to hear your response.

1) Not release anything and go third party.
2) Release a device that's somehow not a step above the (still rather impressive considering its age) PSP tech.

Even if they are launching it at $300, would that be too much simply because Apple has the iPhone on the market where people can get games for 1$ a pop and not feel guilty about purchasing sub-par games without dedicated controls?

In my opinion we as gamers should all be grateful that Sony is risking so much, to deliver a device that will perhaps be the last of its kind. Catering to gamers.

I'm happy about the 3DS too, but at the same time I have a feeling that Nintendo is, as usual, playing it safe with inexpensive hardware and we can see the 3DSLite coming before the 3DS is released. Sure they have 3D.. but is that really enough? (And if it is enough, than why be hypocritical about the PSP and blame it for pushing fancy graphics?)

LCfiner

Kuran said:
It's time for these shitty price jokes to become a bannable offense. Or at least allow people to doubly criticize 3DS on the same fact (overpriced for what you're getting).

you thought my little remark was offensive enough to be bannable? jeesh, thin skin, indeed.

the market will decide if the thing is overpriced. it is not going to be a multi purpose device like the ipad so comparisons to its price are not gonna fly. you might as well compare it to a netbook that can play CS, WOW and Diablo 2...

if it's 300, it's not overpriced for me. but I suspect that it would still be overpriced for the portable market as a whole.

and, yes, i think $250 for the 3DS is pushing it.

[Nintex]

It's coming out this christmas? I'm surprised that Sony showed their cards this early this gives MS, Apple and Nintendo at least 9 months to come up with a counter if they even need one.

_Alkaline_ said:
Anything over $200 is unacceptable for a portable console, regardless of how powerful it is. If this thing is $300 or over, Sony don't get it. Nintendo don't get it either, but the PSP2 is probably going to make it look rather inexpensive in comparison.

The bar has been raised for a while now.

I don't mind paying a slight premium (original PSP) for a good multifunction device.

All I need are some games that look fun to play, or sequels to stuff I know is good (Warriors Orochi 3 plz).

Rpgmonkey

$300-350 seems reasonable.

Which is $100-150 too much for me, so I'll wait a century or two for it to at least get near $200.

expy

Banned
[Nintex] said:
It's coming out this christmas? I'm surprised that Sony showed their cards this early this gives MS, Apple and Nintendo at least 9 months to come up with a counter if they even need one.
Lol MS..

LCfiner

[Nintex] said:

well... Nintendo already played their cards. they're not changing hardware (or price) at this stage. myabe there'll be an influence on some software down the line??

Apple isn't gunning for the gaming-only market. they don't invest in gaming software development like the others. they will continue to excel at supplying the most portable of portable systems but this won't alter their plans, either.

MS... who the fuck knows? maybe if win phone 7 takes off, you'll see more games on the thing and they might make a bigger push with the zune hd2 as a gaming platform?

[Nintex] said:
I'm surprised that Sony showed their cards this early this gives MS, Apple and Nintendo at least 9 months to come up with a counter if they even need one.

Nintendo showed their hand, including specifics like a release date and price (in the US anyway).

This showing from Sony was a direct response to this. Only they withheld the price because it's likely to be higher.

Kuran said:

I don't think you get it. Insofar as I am concerned about the price, it's in regards to a flat value, and whatever they stuff in there has absolutely no bearing on whether I consider it expensive or cheap.

PS2 level tech for USD 200 = Cheap Acceptable
PS3 level tech, 3G, back touch-pad, OLED, whatever for USD 300 = Expensive

It's that simple.

KingDizzi

Banned
[Nintex] said:

-MS don't have a handheld, has no effect on them
-3DS releases in a few months, changes to the hardware won't be made at this point

Sony know what they are doing though, people forget quickly for some strange reason that PSP has sold over 50 million and it actually made them money. I seriously doubt the PSP was conservative for it's time, I remember being in 13-14 and really wanting it. So long as the games are up for rent this will be a day one purchase, just loving what I've seen so far but will only get one or two games a year.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Opus Angelorum said:
Incorrect, the $180 is only the components.

quite right; it costs about another $6.50 to assemble: http://wap.npr.org/news/Technology/133029198?singlePage=true

this is far from a watertight argument, but if psp2 is something like an iphone 5 with a fancier screen and twice the cpu and gpu cores, and if apple isn't planning to take on manufacturing costs massively greater than iphone 4's, then i don't know why people think psp2 would cost $400 or $500 to build

The M.O.B

Considering the average American makes around $2,500 a month (With tons not even having jobs). After bills, gas money, food, etc. It gonna be an extremely hard for Sony to pitch anything above $300 dollars as "affordable" in the US.

Kuran said:
That was my point Alkaline, the iPad is 'just' an entertainment device. Sure you can create music and edit some documents on it, check your mail.. but nothing that makes a laptop unmissable. As an entertainment device, it seems PSP2 hits on much of the same notes.. and goes well beyond the iPad when it comes to gaming.

I fail to see how adding features people want (dual sticks, touch screen) and adding unexpected stuff such as an OLED quality screen, back touch-pad, 3G, can somehow be spun as Sony not getting it.

What was their alternative? And I'd love to hear your response.

1) Not release anything and go third party.
2) Release a device that's somehow not a step above the (still rather impressive considering its age) PSP tech.

Even if they are launching it at $300, would that be too much simply because Apple has the iPhone on the market where people can get games for 1$ a pop and not feel guilty about purchasing sub-par games without dedicated controls?

In my opinion we as gamers should all be grateful that Sony is risking so much, to deliver a device that will perhaps be the last of its kind. Catering to gamers.

I'm happy about the 3DS too, but at the same time I have a feeling that Nintendo is, as usual, playing it safe with inexpensive hardware and we can see the 3DSLite coming before the 3DS is released. Sure they have 3D.. but is that really enough? (And if it is enough, than why be hypocritical about the PSP and blame it for pushing fancy graphics?)

If Sony didn't want 3D, they still had a fantastic opportunity to undercut the 3DS and provide something cheaper whilst still having superior visual technology. They could've created something in realm of $150-$200, a price which would appeal to the mainstream crowd and subsequently foster a culture of pick-up-and-play games that its comprehensive online infrastructure would support with aplomb. It would also be completely capable of delivering more in-depth experiences like the PSP did.

Instead they went bonkers, put all of their eggs in the one basket and will sell it at some ridiculous price of $300 or over, therefore making it far less appealing to the mainstream, likely selling it at a loss and possibly encouraging developers to simply port over their PS3 projects because of the high development costs for original content. Not to mention a considerable size and poor battery life which will greatly lessen its portable appeal.

The handheld market should be a place for any developer to lean back on and feel comfortable in creating original, low-budget experiences. The PSP2 is basically saying "give us your epic masterpieces or just give us PS3 ports instead."

Sony keep thinking that everyone wants amazing graphics and are willing to pay through the nose for it, but the last five years have shown anything but. The PSP2's hook - high-end visual experiences outside the house - is something that just doesn't appeal to many people outside the core gamer niche.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
In this economy, $200 is not even affordable for the masses. I can't really see it being less than $300. Based on Sony's history, they haven't exactly been smart with anything.

Danielsan

After having seen what the games on it look like and knowing what kind of tech is crammed into this thing I would have no problem paying $299 for the PSP2. Any more than that and it's no longer "affordable".

LiK

The M.O.B said:
Considering the average American makes around $2,500 a month (With tons not even having jobs). After bills, gas money, food, etc. It gonna be an extremely hard for Sony to pitch anything above $300 dollars as "affordable" in the US.
I dunno, Apple does fine with their premium prices.

Not that I necessarily don't believe Sony about this...

But right now they can say pretty much whatever they want, as the actual launch is still a year away. It's Sony's job right now to just get people hyped up enough for the handheld that they perhaps hold off from buying a 3DS. So sending optimistic message in the world about low price, good battery life, etc, are not surprising.

Vandiger

They are gunning for 250 same as psp launch, maybe even lower. Given how fast mobile technology is improving it looks feasible. Should be interesting what will develop by end of year.

Synless

I'm thinking $399. Let's be honest, it is seemingly offering more than an ipod touch which for a decent 16GB model costs $299. This is way more powerful and way better. It's gonna cost more.

Kuran

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
If Sony didn't want 3D, they still had a fantastic opportunity to undercut the 3DS and provide something cheaper whilst still having superior visual technology. They could've created something in realm of $150-$200, a price which would appeal to the mainstream crowd and subsequently foster a culture of pick-up-and-play games that its comprehensive online infrastructure would support with aplomb. It would also be completely capable of delivering more in-depth experiences like the PSP did.

Instead they went bonkers, put all of their eggs in the one basket and will sell it at some ridiculous price of $300 or over, therefore making it far less appealing to the mainstream, likely selling it at a loss and possibly encouraging developers to simply port over their PS3 projects because of the high development costs for original content. Not to mention a considerable size and poor battery life which will greatly lessen its portable appeal.

The handheld market should be a place for any developer to lean back on and feel comfortable in creating original, low-budget experiences. The PSP2 is basically saying "give us your epic masterpieces or just give us PS3 ports instead."

Sony keep thinking that everyone wants amazing graphics and are willing to pay through the nose for it, but the last five years have shown anything but. The PSP2's hook - high-end visual experiences outside the house - is something that just doesn't appeal to many people outside the core gamer niche.

I really don't get why you would want 'less' from a device. Is price really an issue? We already know this won't cost $600, and eventually the price will drop. I'd gladly pay for something that's clearly as impressive and gaming-centric as this device.. and I'm sure plenty of other people in my situation will too.

You do understand that these new handheld devices will have to last for the next five to six years, right?

expy

Banned
Kadey said:
In this economy, $200 is not even affordable for the masses. I can't really see it being less than $300. Based on Sony's history, they haven't exactly been smart with anything.
"this economy" is it really still THAT bad? Lots of job creation here; and just look at the reaction to other devices 3DS @ 250, iPhone4 @ 200-600 depending on contracts... Yea... ~300-400 is expensive forthis kind of device.. :rolleyes

LCfiner

LiK said:
I dunno, Apple does fine with their premium prices.

the thing is though... their CE devices are hardly priced way above the competition - where there is competition. entry ipod touch with high res screen: 230 USD.

entry ipad (much more versatile than gaming handheld) 500 USD.

their $1000+ super premium market is for computers, not their handhelds.

I think the potential issue with price here is that Sony might want to compete with the ipad's price as they boast about their tech but they need to realize they're competing with the ipod touch's price.

@ expy

Certainly in the UK with the recent rise of VAT to 20% (and the chance of increased interest rates), the PSP 2 will most definitely be seen as too expensive.

szaromir

Banned
Kuran said:
I really don't get why you would want 'less' from a device. Is price really an issue? We already know this won't cost $600, and eventually the price will drop. I'd gladly pay for something that's clearly as impressive and gaming-centric as this device.. and I'm sure plenty of other people in my situation will too.

You do understand that these new handheld devices will have to last for the next five to six years, right?
Sometimes less is more (batter life).

expy

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
@ expy

Certainly in the UK with the recent rise of VAT to 20% (and the chance of increased interest rates), the PSP 2 will most definitely be seen as too expensive.
As if that ONLY applies to the NGP... Come on...

Caramello

I don't see how it can't be $299 with Sony taking a loss..

I still think it'll sell poorly when compared to the 3DS over the lifetime of both systems.

Corto

This comment reassures me. If the price would be wallet gouging high he would be more facetious with his commentary or evasive. Let's see...

Kuran said:

Who said anything about less? You can still have more without being ridiculous about it. And both Sony and Nintendo (but especially Sony) have been ridiculous.

Now don't get me wrong - aside from the likely horrible price and even more likely shithouse battery life, the PSP2 seems to do everything a core gamer would want in a handheld machine.

But that's exactly it. No one else wants all this stuff. Yeah you'll get the odd dudebro who will be like "i heard that gwafix on it waz crazy" and buy it no matter the price, but those girls and guys who made the DS so successful through shit like Nintendogs, Brain Training, etc...most of these people won't be interested in the PSP2. Why would they? They're not looking for PS3 graphics in a handheld, and they certainly won't be willing to pay 300+ bucks for it.

Just because GAF wants it doesn't mean the rest of the world will want it. Like the PSP and PS3 it delivers exactly what the core gamer wants, but what the core gamer wants and what the vast majority want aren't the same. There's a reason the DS and Wii have been successful, and instead of learning from their mistakes, Sony seems content on doing the exact same thing again. It's just stupid.

Veitsev

Kuran said:
That was my point Alkaline, the iPad is 'just' an entertainment device

No it isn't. Its a netbook like device that provides an easy to use alternative to a PC for people that just want to surf the internet/write documents/check email/etc. The PSP2 is a dedicated games device. They are targeting totally different markets. The PSP2 will not be nearly as good at these tasks as a device designed around doing them (Ipad).

Kuran said:

People that buy Ipads don't give a shit about that kind of stuff. Neither do casuals. Hardcore enthusiasts and GAF'ers do though.

Kuran said:
I have a feeling that Nintendo is, as usual, playing it safe with inexpensive hardware and we can see the 3DSLite coming before the 3DS is released. Sure they have 3D.. but is that really enough?
Kuran said:
Or at least allow people to doubly criticize 3DS on the same fact (overpriced for what you're getting)

Kuran said:
I'm happy about the 3DS

Sure sounds like it.

Kuran said:

Thanks. I lolled.

Tobor

LCfiner said:
the thing is though... their CE devices are hardly priced way above the competition - where there is competition. entry ipod touch with high res screen: 230 USD.

entry ipad (much more versatile than gaming handheld) 500 USD.

their $1000+ super premium market is for computers, not their handhelds.

I think the potential issue with price here is that Sony might want to compete with the ipad's price as they boast about their tech but they need to realize they're competing with the ipod touch's price.
Exactly. They're in a dangerous position, and pricing will be crucial. Game pricing even more so. Parents are buying iPod touches for their kids in droves because they know the games that go with it are cheap. What happens if Sony prices games at $40 + ? How do they compete?

LiK

Tobor said:
Exactly. They're in a dangerous position, and pricing will be crucial. Game pricing even more so. Parents are buying iPod touches for their kids in droves because they know the games that go with it are cheap. What happens if Sony prices games at $40 + ? How do they compete?
PSP Minis! :p

Dabanton

Sony has my interest with this. I would hope we see some new game experiences i understand that the showcase today was more to show off the power of the machine lets hope E3 shows more solid offerings.

And that price if they can get it reasonable then they will have my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom