• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PSP2 (NGP) will be affordable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrikan

Tobor said:
Exactly. They're in a dangerous position, and pricing will be crucial. Game pricing even more so. Parents are buying iPod touches for their kids in droves because they know the games that go with it are cheap. What happens if Sony prices games at $40 + ? How do they compete?

well, it seems the PSP2 will play PlayStation Suites games that will also be on Android devices. And maybe new cheap indie Android games will be available as well for the PSP2. PSN games are also usually cheap and offer lots of modes and features.

Tobor

Afrikan said:
well, it seems the PSP2 will play PlayStation Suites games that will also be on Android devices. And maybe new cheap indie Android games will be available as well for the PSP2. PSN games are also usually cheap and offer lots of modes and features.
True. If they can market that heavily, and get the hardware price low enough, they have an argument.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
expy said:
"this economy" is it really still THAT bad? Lots of job creation here; and just look at the reaction to other devices 3DS @ 250, iPhone4 @ 200-600 depending on contracts... Yea... ~300-400 is expensive forthis kind of device.. :rolleyes

Do you not live in an area where people have jobs, median income is well above U.S standards, etc?

Sorry but around here, Tri-state area, many can't even afford simple cell phones. Hell, people can't even afford necessities such as health insurance (which keeps going up by the way), food, etc. People hurt each other for stuff like an Iphone. Don't base your assumptions on your own area and lifestyle. Even the fairly paid people complain because while the pricing of everything is rising, they aren't getting paid accordingly.

You don't want to get me started. :)

ElFly

If it was $250 or less, they would have announced it now, trying to emulate the PSX vs Saturn fight. Honestly, Nintendo should have launched the 3DS last Xmas, but this isn't going to hurt them.

It's $350 at the very minimum.

Quixzlizx

I'm in for $300 or less. $300 is a bit steep, but I'd still consider it a very good value considering what I'd be getting. I also don't have a smartphone or ipod Touch, so any app support would increase the value for me.

To all clueless Europeans and Americans: SAVE. That's what Asians do, you got 10 months, save bit by bit and by November you will have no problems buying it.

miksar

If Sony aimed for $250-300, they'd announce the price right now simply to damage 3DS sales. One thing is for certain: Sony won't sell NGP for near the same price they sold PSP at launch, so it will be $349 for Value pack, if we're lucky, considering the thing is even more beefed up this time.

Really disappointed that there's no built-in storage (at least, I don't see it mentioned ANYWHERE). I would assume that'd save some of the cost.

Valtor

Banned
INPAQ said:
Subsidy, subsidy, subsidy...

I couldn't believe this not to be the truth. 249$ going head to head with 3DS BUT, you need a 2-3 year data plan that subsidies 200$ off the device. So price without data plan is 449$.

$300-$350 for me. depending on how they go about with the 3G.
if it's free with limited things you can do with it fine. Not going to sign up with another carrier. Unless all that i need to do really is get a PS+ sub. but i am going to wait on who will provide the 3G Coverage because sprint here is SHIT.

Castor Krieg said:
To all clueless Europeans and Americans: SAVE. That's what Asians do, you got 10 months, save bit by bit and by November you will have no problems buying it.
already have the money for 3DS. give me a week or two I'll have PSP2 ;D

Yoboman

miksar said:
If Sony aimed for $250-300, they'd announce the price right now simply to damage 3DS sales. One thing is for certain: Sony won't sell NGP for near the same price they sold PSP at launch, so it will be $349 for Value pack, if we're lucky, considering the thing is even more beefed up this time.
No they wouldn't, they probably couldn't even lock down the best price right now so far out.

Foffy

Banned
I'm more concerned about the price of games. Paying a chunk of money for the device is the "entry pass" to the platform, but the prices of games is what has me worried. Handheld games should not ever rival the price of console games. Period.

LCfiner

Tobor said:
Exactly. They're in a dangerous position, and pricing will be crucial. Game pricing even more so. Parents are buying iPod touches for their kids in droves because they know the games that go with it are cheap. What happens if Sony prices games at $40 + ? How do they compete?

By marketing the device specially at people like me, duh :)

I can't help but be worried at the prospects of this thing. here's the dilemma as I see it:

1. anything over ~$200 (maaaaybe $250) is pricing it above the mass market for portable gaming of young children and teens who take the bus, train or sit in the back of the car during commutes. situations where you can focus on a game for more than 10 minutes.

2. the market for folks with more disposable income for a beastly gaming handheld like this consists of people who probably already have a smartphone. and limited time. and limited pocket space. so super quick play experiences found on the iphone work well for a 5 minute gaming fix while out and about. Sony is essentially asking us to replace our phone with a gaming handheld (that's around twice as large). or stuff it in a messenger bag.

they're getting squeezed by both sides. the market that has the time to play these games doesn't have the money. and the people with the money don't have the time to use it.

I still want one but, well, I'm the exception that wants all new crazy tech despite not needing it.

MechaX

Foffy said:
I'm more concerned about the price of games. Paying a chunk of money for the device is the "entry pass" to the platform, but the prices of games is what has me worried. Handheld games should not ever rival the price of console games. Period.

This is a point that I'm surprised hasn't been discussed all that much. Yeah, PS3-level games are great and all, but it would be a real swift kick in the balls if NGP's game costs were on the level of PS3 titles.

LiK

Foffy said:
My guess, $40-50 for the games.

Castor Krieg said:

But I can't both save and maintain a large backlog of unplayed games!

Forkball said:
Can I only have one job and still afford it?

With the first PSP Sony wanted you get a job, with PSP2 they need you take a loan.

But in all seriousness I don't expect the device to cost more than $350, which still would be too expensive for me.

Enron

Banned
I don't think im paying 300 for this. Not to say its not worth it, but I just think 300 for a portable is steep. Not buying a 3DS at launch, either. I might crack on the psp2, though, if something completely awesome that I must play comes out for it in the first year or so.

LCfiner said:
2. the market for folks with more disposable income for a beastly gaming handheld like this consists of people who probably already have a smartphone. and limited time. and limited pocket space. so super quick play experiences found on the iphone work well for a 5 minute gaming fix while out and about. Sony is essentially asking us to replace our phone with a gaming handheld (that's around twice as large). or stuff it in a messenger bag.

Pocket space? Dude, if you have disposable income for iPhone/NGP you always carry a bag/briefcase with you since you have, you know, A JOB. No problem putting NGP there.

As for limited time/5 minute gaming fix - SLEEP FUNCTION. USE IT.

Foffy said:

probably will be 40 to 50, if not 50 to 60.

the good thing is that they, hopefully, will have a healthy downloadable game network setup at launch. Ideally the games like Uncharted will be full priced, but you'd have smaller games that fall around 10 to 15 on PSN, and even smaller minis/apps that go from 1 to 5.

actually, they should really bring the price of PSP games down. I think the reason 3DS games range from 40 to 50 is because DS games still range from 30 to 40. It needs to seem more valuable, I guess.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
nintendo's 'low specs, a hardware gimmick, and casual games' approach has obviously been wildly successful, but i don't see that imitating nintendo's approach is the best way of competing with nintendo, particularly when you don't have the demonstrated ability to make the games that drive that approach. even third parties are mostly at a loss to replicate nintendo's successes in the casual gaming space -- and in any case cellphones are rapidly encroaching on that space, as reflected in the 3ds's apparent move upmarket and sony's ps suite initiative

(nb: i am not arguing for the existence of NINTENDO MAGIC in game design -- new smb has been a MONSTROUS success with casual and hardcore audiences alike, and there's nothing special about that game besides its brand and heritage)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I can't believe some of you are falling for this again. They said the same sort of thing when the PS3 was mooted, and we all know how that turned out. This thing will be at least $300, personally I think it will launch at 399. They know that only enthusiast gamers with disposable income will but this thing at launch.

MechaX

The_Technomancer said:
If they were launching at 200 or 250 wouldn't they announce it, as kind of a "screw you" to Nintendo?

If that was the ballpark figure (and I highly doubt that Sony is at the point where they would have done no estimates period even this early in the game), then one would think they would have done that when considering there would be no reason to expect a price-hike in the future.

Veitsev

The_Technomancer said:
If they were launching at 200 or 250 wouldn't they announce it, as kind of a "screw you" to Nintendo?

Probably.

This way they can announce the console and have people focus on those juicy bits instead of having the price discussion overshadow it.

Risible

Kuran said:
It's time for these shitty price jokes to become a bannable offense. Or at least allow people to doubly criticize 3DS on the same fact (overpriced for what you're getting).

I don't think people are saying that it's going to be overpriced for what you get - quite the contrary. After seeing the specs I think there's no way they can bring it to market without it costing an arm and a leg.

Just because you're getting your money's worth doesn't mean it's not a ridiculous price for a handheld gaming device.

LCfiner

Castor Krieg said:
Pocket space? Dude, if you have disposable income for iPhone/NGP you always carry a bag/briefcase with you since you have, you know, A JOB. No problem putting NGP there.

As for limited time/5 minute gaming fix - SLEEP FUNCTION. USE IT.

I have a job. don't use a briefcase. most people around here in the engineering office don't use briefcases or backpacks or messenger bags - our work is at work, not at home. we don't have textbooks to ferry about. except those that have a company bag for a company laptop.

Platy

People bitched about the 3ds price and it was exactly the launch price of the PSP ... so i guess that the NeoGeoPocket will be at least 350 ...and people will bitch

Grecco

Nobody seems to be talking about the 3G aspect, and the potential additional cost of a data plan with like Verizon and ATT

Cheerilee

Sony's inside leak said:
"Ideally we would want to have our hardware be profitable, in addition to our software," he said. "We've experienced both sides and we know which one we like to be on!"
IMO, losing money on hardware can be painless at the $50 mark, and depending on where that gets you, it can be worth it.

If their console costs $150, then it's probably cheap enough so they won't need to lose money and sell it for $100. If it costs $600, they shouldn't even bother.

But if it costs $300, it might even be a good idea to try and sell it for $200 (although that's a bit much).

Sony's problem in recent years (since the PSone really) is that they seemed to have no self control when it comes to the losses. Or it was more that they painted themselves into corners with ridiculously high prices, and were desperate for something, anything, to help bail them out.

Yoboman

I remember people were predicting similarly exorbitant prices for PSP1 and $250 ended up being a pleasant surprise.

Amir0x

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
$349.99 USD, $100 more than the 3DS. It would seem like a good deal in comparison for what you're getting.

no it won't to the general buying public

"lol i'm buying this shit for my ten year old $349.99!? fuck that 3DS is right there and oh shit it's 3D and $250."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom