• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PSP2 (NGP) will be affordable

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Relaxed Muscle said:
But then, you see the games and basically is console games with touch screen actions that could be done with a button anyway.

I don't think Sony has the innate talent to make proper gaming experiences around those, like Nintendo does.
LOL sorry pal but what I've seen from the 3DS is no different than the DS. So we can all say OMG the 3DS has better graphics and now 3D, our savior has arrived!

I will relish my 3DS buy but this NGP is doing WAY MORE to create different gameplay experiences and that is not even touching the inner tech too much. It's way more exciting and promising already than the 3DS, outside of the SW. But the 3DS isn't exactly wowing me in that regard either.

LyR

Banned
Duxxy3 said:
Appropriate price for a handheld is not over $199.

These 2 new portables are getting so far away from what made the gameboy and ds popular it's just ridiculous.

tbh. the ipod touch 32GB is/was 270€/370€ and still sold damn well

// and it's the same audience they aim for .... kids/teenager (and maybe manchildren)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Relaxed Muscle said:
But then, you see the games and basically is console games with touch screen actions that could be done with a button anyway.

I don't think Sony has the innate talent to make proper gaming experiences around those, like Nintendo does.

Little Deviants says no. It's nothing like their console games.

And I think they did at least as convincing a job of integrating those newer kinds of controls into a 'big' game with that Uncharted demo as I've seen from Nintendo so far. Perhaps better since the touch is on the same screen as the output, not just for inventory and the like. And some of those controls make a lot more sense on a rear touch than they would on a front touch (like the vine climbing) - opportunities not there on 3DS.

They also had some AR stuff thrown in, which I know people coo-ed over on 3DS too...

LiquidMetal14

gofreak said:
Little Deviants says no. It's nothing like their console game.

And I think they did at least as convincing a job of integrating those newer kinds of controls into a 'big' game with that Uncharted demo as I've seen from Nintendo so far. Perhaps better since the touch is on the same screen as the output, not just for inventory and the like. And some of those controls make a lot more sense on a rear touch than they would on a front touch (like the vine climbing) - opportunities not there on 3DS.

They also had some AR stuff thrown in, which I know people coo-ed over on 3DS too...
That's exactly what I was thinking. The touch right on the screen is huge for the functionality too. Well at least on this things only screen. That is one thing Nintendo could have solved by making both screen touch.

LiquidMetal14

Davidion said:
Heh, it's like the PSP days all over again.
But with much more promising and smarter business moves. You could say that but then you look at what their doing with the Suite and the actual tech. I really wouldn't go there. The main thing that is similar is the tech was good too. This blows that reveal away though.

confuziz

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
But with much more promising and smarter business moves. You could say that but then you look at what their doing with the Suite and the actual tech. I really wouldn't go there. The main thing that is similar is the tech was good too. This blows that reveal away though.

It's actually exactly the same deal.

Yoschi

Kuran said:
That was my point Alkaline, the iPad is 'just' an entertainment device. Sure you can create music and edit some documents on it, check your mail.. but nothing that makes a laptop unmissable. As an entertainment device, it seems PSP2 hits on much of the same notes.. and goes well beyond the iPad when it comes to gaming.
I never thought about it exactly like that, while not completely wrong, both devices still attract different audiences with a different market share.

Dyno

You know the iPhone is basically bought and sold for $400 once you break down the payment plans.

I think that fact is useful for context.

LM4sure

Banned
Dyno said:
You know the iPhone is basically bought and sold for $400 once you break down the payment plans.

I think that fact is useful for context.

But I think the iphone does more than just play games, right? I don't have one so I can't confirm.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
confuziz said:
It's actually exactly the same deal.

I think the picture being painted is a very different proposition.

PSP was not functionally comprehensive, and it cost it dearly. Nintendo successfully created a space based on specific functionality unavailable on PSP, pivoting on a content-defining trend that proved hugely popular and that PSP was completely locked out of and that Sony couldn't remedy without effectively creating a new platform (I am, of course, talking about touch-based gaming).

PSP2 doesn't seem to have any of these weaknesses. In fact, it functionally seems to offer more 'new' in terms of gameplay possibilities than Nintendo is, on and the business side, seems to be making much bolder moves too (with things like Suite).

On the hardware/platform side, it's not the same deal at all.

Salaadin

Im skimming this thread to try and find the answer but I must be blind or something:

For those in the know about tech, prices, etc...what do you think the estimated cost of this thing will be? I keep seeing prices thrown around but arent sure if any of those are just guesses or actual educated guesses. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm not dropping more than 200 on a handheld. I just don't play them enough even though I love the games I have. I'll wait and wait and wait. I don't like the direction handhelds are moving in.

Salaadin said:
Im skimming this thread to try and find the answer but I must be blind or something:

For those in the know about tech, prices, etc...what do you think the estimated cost of this thing will be? I keep seeing prices thrown around but arent sure if any of those are just guesses or actual educated guesses. Any ideas?

Thanks.
enough for sony to make loss. how much? no one knows. i assume it'll be $50-100.

LiquidMetal14 said:
LOL sorry pal but what I've seen from the 3DS is no different than the DS. So we can all say OMG the 3DS has better graphics and now 3D, our savior has arrived!

I will relish my 3DS buy but this NGP is doing WAY MORE to create different gameplay experiences and that is not even touching the inner tech too much. It's way more exciting and promising already than the 3DS, outside of the SW. But the 3DS isn't exactly wowing me in that regard either.

Nintendo did with DS and Wii, I have no doubt they will with the 3DS, it's just a matter of time, I think there's a reason why the ditched the Touch generations brand.

But LD it's just one game, and for all we know it could sell like 100k or something, Nintendo not only can do that type of game,it also can make it sell like crazy and say "hey 3r parties! that's how you do!" and them they follow that example, with more or less success, Nintendo can define the software going that route.

I don't think Sony can do that, since probably console alike games will make a major part of their software, 3rd parties will follow that path.

And no, touch screen implementation of Uncharted was lame as it was in Killzone in the video reel.

Yeah, I'm stretching it a lot, but I got the feel Sony is going again the PSP route a portable console experience and that all those cool control methods will be really secondary and maybe relegated to small DD games.

Vyer

Nice tech, but im not going to feel comfortable with Sony's 'affordable' until I see actual numbers.

These threads are like going back in time though. I see some of the old soldiers taking up their arms again!

Zzoram

$299 for base wifi model, $349 for bundled game and case, $399 for bundled game and case and 3G.

That's probably their plan judging by how they priced PSP bundles and that this should be more expensive than the 3DS.

LiquidMetal14

Relaxed Muscle said:
Nintendo did with DS and Wii, I have no doubt they will with the 3DS, it's just a matter of time, I think there's a reason why the ditched the Touch generations brand.

But LD it's just one game, and for all we know it could sell like 100k or something, Nintendo not only can do that type of game,it also can make it sell like crazy and say "hey 3r parties! that's how you do!" and them they follow that example, with more or less success, Nintendo can define the software going that route.

I don't think Sony can do that, since probably console alike games will make a major part of their software, 3rd parties will follow that path.

And no, touch screen implementation of Uncharted was lame as it was in Killzone in the video reel.

Yeah, I'm stretching it a lot, but I got the feel Sony is going again the PSP route a portable console experience and that all those cool control methods will be really secondary and maybe relegated to small DD games.
I agree with your statement but disagree on some parts. There's a middle ground here and for me, the options the NGP offers simply outclass the 3DS. Now I want to see more games and the PS Suite offerings. It's very exciting.
lowrider007 said:
From the other thread,

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25639314&postcount=1774

"A SCEE guy just told me about the price. They are trying to make a 250-300$/€ miracle. Good news."

Very good news if true.
That would be just swell!

Better not be on some get a 2nd job bullshit...

Remember we want to learn from mistakes not fumble at the same exact point because, our hardware can do so much that we decided to charge you up the ass for it, but mean while our competition runs away with the market because we priced ourselves out, like last time..

=) kthanks.

And by the way I did day one a 60g after getting a second job
and i'll probably do it again here, but you want to cater to others not just me (and several others like me)

lowrider007 said:
From the other thread,

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25639314&postcount=1774

"A SCEE guy just told me about the price. They are trying to make a 250-300$/€ miracle. Good news."

Very good news if true.

15dmce0.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
$249 for WiFi only
$299 for 3G/WiFi

Hyped!

Yoschi

_Alkaline_ said:
Instead they went bonkers, put all of their eggs in the one basket and will sell it at some ridiculous price of $300 or over, therefore making it far less appealing to the mainstream, likely selling it at a loss and possibly encouraging developers to simply port over their PS3 projects because of the high development costs for original content.

_Alkaline_ said:
Sony keep thinking that everyone wants amazing graphics and are willing to pay through the nose for it, but the last five years have shown anything but. The PSP2's hook - high-end visual experiences outside the house - is something that just doesn't appeal to many people outside the core gamer niche.

When the PSP was announced, it seemed like they went bonkers too. But it was a really attractive device and had a lot of buzz going for it.
If that thing we see now wasn't a super high end device like it is, they would have a problem IMO. How would they differentiate themselves enough from the rest of the market? They are good at pushing high end devices, they have been doing that for ages.

_Alkaline_ said:
The handheld market should be a place for any developer to lean back on and feel comfortable in creating original, low-budget experiences. The PSP2 is basically saying "give us your epic masterpieces or just give us PS3 ports instead."
Maybe they want to create more jobs LoL not that the jobs will be more attractive. The gaming market isn't going to go away at this point, there is a lot of market for an indie developer nowadays.

I think in their eyes the PSP is appealing to the userbase, following the trend of the psp, ps2, psp and ps3.

_Alkaline_ said:
Sony keep thinking that everyone wants amazing graphics and are willing to pay through the nose for it, but the last five years have shown anything but. The PSP2's hook - high-end visual experiences outside the house - is something that just doesn't appeal to many people outside the core gamer niche.
The core gamer is not a niche market. Even if it doesn't surpass nintendo's highly acclaimed casual gamer audience, it's still big.

--

Hmm, let's see. The PS3 was claimed highly expensive at launch, but is sitting in a comfortable position at this point. Is it profitable now? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think not too long after the slim's introduction it started being profitable.

That thing has similar factors going for it. Granted, the high price point is an intrusion in the handheld space in both cases (that thing and the 3ds). But the gaming market has grown way past the old days of the lynx and the turbo express. I'm not sure what the current state of sony as a company is in. My guess is that it's pretty good, looking at the amount of different tech they release. Maybe I should look deeper into it to get a better perspective in order to be more precise.

Malio

Glad I don't really care for hand-held gaming. 'Sony' and 'affordable' in the same sentence makes me giggle.

$400 for the model that does everything they claim, maybe more. If it's between $200-$300, I may give it a look.

Dyno

LM4sure said:
But I think the iphone does more than just play games, right? I don't have one so I can't confirm.

If you list off what each device can do I'm sure you'll achieve parity. What makes the iPhone sing? The fact that its a telephone or it's access to the 3G/4G network.

The tech on display is pretty equal. They're showing Killzone and Uncharted that you can hold in your hand. It's certainly not going to be an order of magnitude cheaper than the full-sized consoles themselves.

sullytao

If it costs between £250-£280 in the UK for wifi only then I think I can justify that price. Given the shit hot tech inside and the future possibilities of things like augmented reality running on that hardware. Will probably skip the 3DS this year for this.

Relaxed Muscle said:
That would put Nintendo it a very tight spot.

I really doubt it. Remember, they almost certainly have the leeway to cut the price to $229 or $200 if they want, which Sony likely doesn't if they're launching NGP at a loss.

Even if Nintendo holds the line, I don't think a $250 3DS will have any trouble competing with a $250 non-3D NGP in the eyes of the average consumer, especially if they launch a new value-added SKU for the holidays.

Yoschi said:
Hmm, let's see. The PS3 was claimed highly expensive at launch, but is sitting in a comfortable position at this point. Is it profitable now? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think not too long after the slim's introduction it started being profitable.

That thing has similar factors going for it. Granted, the high price point is an intrusion in the handheld space in both cases (that thing and the 3ds). But the gaming market has grown way past the old days of the lynx and the turbo express. I'm not sure what the current state of sony as a company is in. My guess is that it's pretty good, looking at the amount of different tech they release. Maybe I should look deeper into it to get a better perspective in order to be more precise.

The PS3 is the biggest financial disaster in the history of the video game industry. This is not hyperbole, but simply flat numbers. Sony has lost 5 billion on the PS3, and they will never turn an overall profit with the system.

Any comparisons that cast the PSP2 in a similar light with the PS3 is doing the PSP2 no favours.

-PXG-

Sony MUST make the wifi SKU $250 or else they can consider it DOA right now.

$250 for the 3DS? 300 or more for NGP? I don't care what these things do. Console prices for handhelds is absurd. We still don't know the game pricing and the rate structure (and perhaps tiered pricing) for the 3G model.

I mean, you'd think in a global recession and their desire to expand to new markets, they'd make this shit less expensive. Guess not.

LosDaddie

Banned
It will at least be $300...and maybe closer to $350.

Sony, like usual, wants to position their product as premium, superior version to their competitor's product. A higher price is one sure way to get that perception from customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom