• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PSP2 (NGP) will be affordable

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Father_Brain said:
I really doubt it. Remember, they almost certainly have the leeway to cut the price to $229 or $200 if they want.

Even if Nintendo holds the line, I don't think a $250 3DS will have any trouble competing with a $250 non-3D NGP in the eyes of the average consumer, especially if they launch a new value-added SKU for the holidays.

But how much have Nintendo cut the price on the DS from the original launch price?

Salaadin said:
What? How is that even possible? Thats excellent news.
It was always possible, nay likely, once we learned Sony were to spend significantly less on R&D and silicon than they did with the original PSP. The internal specifications we got were incredibly conservative by Sony's usual standards. Confirmation of multiple SKUs should have been the final tip off.

jorma

is now taking requests
iapetus said:
Affordable for Europe.

£199, 219 euros, subsidised by a $599 price tag.

Payback, bitches!

The 3g addition makes a lot more sense now that i know this.

3 SKUs:
No Memory card and just WiFi - $399
32gb Memory card and Wifi - $499
32gb Memory card, WiFi, and 3G - Five Hundred and Ninety Nine US Dollars!

kaskade

For as crazy as the system is 300 bucks would be cheap. A 32 gb iPod touch costs that much. I doubt that will be the price though. If it does release around the holidays Nintendo would be smart to cut the 3ds price to 200. Right now the PSP2 seems to do more that I'm interested, I just don't really play handheld games that much.

-PXG-

LosDaddie said:
It will at least be $300...and maybe closer to $350.

Sony, like usual, wants to position their product as premium, superior version to their competitor's product. A higher price is one sure way to get that perception from customers.

Sony is banking on people having the mindset of "Oh, it's more expensive, which means it's better than the other guy's stuff. I'm going to save up for it and buy it" Yeah...In the US at least, people don't think that way at all when it comes to consumer products (especially electronics). When you step outside of Sony's delusional way of thinking, you'll quickly understand, in reality, people are more inclined to think "Yeah...$300...for that? Fuck that shit. I ain't buying it. I don't care what it does."

Just look at what happened when Sony tried marketing and selling the PS3 as a "luxury" product. 599 anyone?

Father_Brain said:
I really doubt it. Remember, they almost certainly have the leeway to cut the price to $229 or $200 if they want, which Sony likely doesn't if they're launching NGP at a loss.

Even if Nintendo holds the line, I don't think a $250 3DS will have any trouble competing with a $250 non-3D NGP in the eyes of the average consumer, especially if they launch a new value-added SKU for the holidays.

I don't think Nintendo really wants to cut the price just a few months after it was released, certainly the PSP being more expensive, help a lot, it was a good advantage, that gone and they'll lose sales, specifically the sales they were aiming with their more core gamer focused output in the first months.

lowrider007 said:
But how much have Nintendo cut the price on the DS from the original launch price?

Why on earth would they, when the hardware sells as well as it does?

There are only two conceivable reasons why 3DS' price would drop this year: if post-launch sales are underwhelming, or if Nintendo sees NGP as enough of a threat to justify a price drop. Neither is likely, IMO, but the latter is a tad more so if Sony actually matches or (LOL) undercuts 3DS on price.

Relaxed Muscle said:
I don't think Nintendo really wants to cut the price just a few months after it was released, certainly the PSP being more expensive, help a lot, it was a good advantage, that gone and they'll lose sales, specifically the sales they were aiming with their more core gamer focused output in the first months.

Of course they don't want to. My point is that they can. Personally, I think that 3DS just has broader appeal and will comfortably outsell NGP at the same price (and that Nintendo probably thinks this as well), but the sales figures either will or won't bear that out.

Scum

£229.99 - £249.99 with 3G/PSN+ monthly contract
£249.99 - £269.99 for WiFi only
£269.99 - £299.99 with 3G and WiFi

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Relaxed Muscle said:
I don't think Nintendo really wants to cut the price just a few months after it was released
8 months is a few now?

And depending when PSP2 launches in NA/EU, the launch gap there could easily be 10-12 months.

Baki

I fucking called it with my predictions (and this was prior to the Nikkei article):

My Prediction:

PSP2/Playstation Pocket HD/Playstation Portable HD/Playstation Portable 3G

- $249.99/24,900 yen/€249.99/£214.99 (4GB SD card - WiFi only, limited quantities)
- $299.99/29,800 yen/€299.99/£249.99 (16GB - WiFi only, standard model, (in EU it comes with a game/demoes/movie packed in))
- $399.99/34,900 yen/€349.99/£289.99 (32GB - 3G)
- Cortex A9 Dual Core 1GHZ/4-Core Mini Cell 800MHZ
- PowerVRSGX543MP 4 Core Edition
- 1GB Ram
- 4.2" Retina Display (900X550), Multi-Touch Display, Rear Touch Panel
- SD Card Slot
- Wireless N, 3G (in selected models)
- Full PSN Integration (Friends list, Cross Game Chat, Custom Music, Trophies)
- Cross Platform Play in selected games (Uncharted: Portable by Sony BEND, COD/MOH/Battlefield 3)
- October 2011 (Japan), November 2011 (Worldwide)
- Playstation Pocket integration (Playstation mini's 2.0 platform which is compatible across multiple devices)
- Application Sore (linked with Playstation Pocket)

Launch Games:
- Lumines HD (Playstation Pocket/PSN)
- Uncharted Side Story*
- Monster Hunter Portable 3G (launching on Wii as well)
- Minna No Golf
- PES/FIFA
- WipEout Portable
- New IP
- Battlefield 3
- Sly 4
- Resident Evil
- Super Street Fighter IV
- Ridge Racer
- Mortal Kombat
- Starhawk*

Future Games
- GTA San Andreas Stories
- COD*
- MOH*
- Marvel vs Capcom 3

* = Cross Platform Play

FoneBone

Yoschi said:
Hmm, let's see. The PS3 was claimed highly expensive at launch, but is sitting in a comfortable position at this point. Is it profitable now? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think not too long after the slim's introduction it started being profitable.
AHAHAHAHA what

FoneBone

lowrider007 said:
That they haven't cut it more doesn't mean they couldn't have. But yes, even if NGP comes closer in price to the 3DS than expected, I'd expect Nintendo to increase the value by offering a bundle at the same price point, well before they actually drop the upfront price.

derder

DieH@rd said:
Iphone 4 costed 180$ to produce, last summer. PSP2 is maybe ~250.
4 years of R&D were already recouped with the iphone.
PSP2 cannot cost less than $300 to manufacture. Then there was the whole "development" thing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
NathanPGibson said:
Can we have less of the "it will be affordable" bollocks and more of the "it is £xxx" bollocks please.
I'm guessing price reveal and launch dates at E3.

Yoschi

derder said:
You guys are all wayyyyyy off

$199 with 12 month contract with AT&T
I was thinking of contract situations too. It has 3g after all, I somehow doubt that they will offer those services for free like the kindle. It's a small but important detail that should not be missed.

lupinko

I'd pay a pretty penny for 3G with no contract, though I don't think I need 3G for a dedicated gaming device like for example, my iPhone4, so the Wifi-only model is also very attractive.

Salaadin

brain_stew said:
It was always possible, nay likely, once we learned Sony were to spend significantly less on R&D and silicon than they did with the original PSP. The internal specifications we got were incredibly conservative by Sony's usual standards. Confirmation of multiple SKUs should have been the final tip off.

Thanks.

All of this news has me really excited. My PSP had a workout last year and I find myself preferring handhelds over consoles these days. With this and the 3DS, I might be set.

Davidion

Pureauthor said:
The PS3 is the biggest financial disaster in the history of the video game industry. This is not hyperbole, but simply flat numbers. Sony has lost 5 billion on the PS3, and they will never turn an overall profit with the system.

Any comparisons that cast the PSP2 in a similar light with the PS3 is doing the PSP2 no favours.

:lol seriously.

And to clarify my earlier comment, the issue with this whole NGP business is that whereas it's made strides in its online and gameplay infrastructure, the main lure is still sheer power and aesthetics when, as noted in the Digital Foundry article, no one sure that the portable market is asking that question anymore. I think that there's a good chance that the NGP will have much better presence than the PSP, but this game is now being played in the portable space where the 3DS is expanding their audience and the ios is a major player.

Let this not be an endorsement of the 3DS; I think that that platform is having trouble as well. However, I feel like Nintendo is aiming to gobble up more of the PSP's market than the other way around, and both of them are only making marginal headway, if that, into the ios platforms' market.

lupinko

Baki said:
I fucking called it with my predictions (and this was prior to the Nikkei article):
My Prediction:

PSP2/Playstation Pocket HD/Playstation Portable HD/Playstation Portable 3G

- $249.99/24,900 yen/€249.99/£214.99 (4GB SD card - WiFi only, limited quantities)
- $299.99/29,800 yen/€299.99/£249.99 (16GB - WiFi only, standard model, (in EU it comes with a game/demoes/movie packed in))
- $399.99/34,900 yen/€349.99/£289.99 (32GB - 3G)
- Cortex A9 Dual Core 1GHZ/4-Core Mini Cell 800MHZ
- PowerVRSGX543MP 4 Core Edition
- 1GB Ram
- 4.2" Retina Display (900X550), Multi-Touch Display, Rear Touch Panel
- SD Card Slot
- Wireless N, 3G (in selected models)
- Full PSN Integration (Friends list, Cross Game Chat, Custom Music, Trophies)
- Cross Platform Play in selected games (Uncharted: Portable by Sony BEND, COD/MOH/Battlefield 3)
- October 2011 (Japan), November 2011 (Worldwide)
- Playstation Pocket integration (Playstation mini's 2.0 platform which is compatible across multiple devices)
- Application Sore (linked with Playstation Pocket)

Launch Games:
- Lumines HD (Playstation Pocket/PSN)
- Uncharted Side Story*
- Monster Hunter Portable 3G (launching on Wii as well)
- Minna No Golf
- PES/FIFA
- WipEout Portable
- New IP
- Battlefield 3
- Sly 4
- Resident Evil
- Super Street Fighter IV
- Ridge Racer
- Mortal Kombat
- Starhawk*

Future Games
- GTA San Andreas Stories
- COD*
- MOH*
- Marvel vs Capcom 3

* = Cross Platform Play

Hey, kinda like how I called it with the MvC3 info! ;)

Baki

Lonely1 said:
Wait. Someone confirmed multiple Sku's?

Yeah. 3G and non-3G. Also apparently one of the Sony reps said they're aiming for $/€299 territory (possibly $/€249)

Yoschi

FoneBone said:
AHAHAHAHA what
Why are you laughing?
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1102449p1.html
http://www.next-gen.biz/news/sony-ps3-now-profitable

Pureauthor said:
The PS3 is the biggest financial disaster in the history of the video game industry. This is not hyperbole, but simply flat numbers. Sony has lost 5 billion on the PS3, and they will never turn an overall profit with the system.
Any comparisons that cast the PSP2 in a similar light with the PS3 is doing the PSP2 no favours.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061112072652AA627hW
Not that yahoo answers is the most reliable source, but it's good enough for this estimate on sony's worth. 40billion ain't small, but 5 billion ain't game over. For profit see my Answer for FoneBone.

I agree with you on not doing them favours from a financial standpoint. That said we are still guessing, there is no official statement on the price and we don't know their exact plans. You have to remember that a company as a whole doesn't change from one moment to another. It's not just a matter of hiring someone who invents something creative and that's it. So staying on the known path can be fortunate if they handle the marketing and their relations with 3rd parties well enough. In case they offer contracts, mobile networks will be added to that equation and that IMO might just turn a lot of things around.

Lovely Salsa said:
Hold on, the PSP will have a OLED screen? The one that costs a fortune?? The next gen tv screens??

If so

ALL OVER MY TITS!
You have tit's? Are they nice? LoL

M3d10n

The 3DS uses CPU and GPU from 2006/2007. The most modern component in the device is the 3D screen, which is 2009 tech at most. I'm sure the original planned price was $199, but Nintendo decided to get greedy after the feedback they got after the E3 reveal and added more $50 to the price tag.

Sony is using the very best mobile components available, including limited-availability OLED screens and a GPU that was expected to show up in smartphones only in 2012. Are people really expecting it to cost anywhere less than $349 (which is already at loss)? The only way they can make a "miracle" is to bundle it with 3G contracts.

Yoschi

FoneBone said:
Because while I know they're now selling it a profit, their losses have been so massive that claiming they're "sitting in a comfortable position" is beyond dumb.
You're acting as if sony's gaming division is all that sony has. They are recovering from ps3's launch and are ready to test a new marketing stategy.

M3d10n said:
The 3DS uses CPU and GPU from 2006/2007. The most modern component in the device is the 3D screen, which is 2009 tech at most. I'm sure the original planned price was $199, but Nintendo decided to get greedy after the feedback they got after the E3 reveal and added more $50 to the price tag.

Sony is using the very best mobile components available, including limited-availability OLED screens and a GPU that was expected to show up in smartphones only in 2012. Are people really expecting it to cost anywhere less than $349 (which is already at loss)? The only way they can make a "miracle" is to bundle it with 3G contracts.

People were using iPhone hardware cost (180$) as a reason behind the 300$ tag possibility.

Celine

M3d10n said:

That 's my reasoning too but apparently SCE is aiming for $250-300.
Don't ask me how.

stupei

Kuran said:
I really don't get why you would want 'less' from a device. Is price really an issue? We already know this won't cost $600, and eventually the price will drop. I'd gladly pay for something that's clearly as impressive and gaming-centric as this device.. and I'm sure plenty of other people in my situation will too.

You do understand that these new handheld devices will have to last for the next five to six years, right?

Especially if nobody can afford to buy one until two years into its cycle.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/27/yoshida-on-psp2-pricing-its-not-going-to-be-599/

Yoshida on PSP2 pricing: “It’s not going to be $599″

psp26.jpg

So none of this, then. Unless it’s actually higher than that. In which case, as you were.

SCE WWS boss Shuhei Yoshida has said it’ll avoid a repeat of its E3 2006 press conference by not pricing its next-gen PSP successor, codenamed NGP, $599.

“It’s not going to be $599,” he told Game Informer.

Yoshida does admit that pricing has been a big concern for Sony since project work on the handheld began in 2008.

“From the very beginning of the project — since 2008 — pricing was one of the considerations that we had. Hopefully when we announce the price, people will see the proper value.”

The comment follows that of earlier remarks from SCEE head Andrew House, saying the price of the machine will be “affordable”.

NGP releases this year in Japan. Catch up on everything from the event here.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Tucah said:
$349 Wi-Fi
$449 3g

That's not "affordable for the handheld gaming space" in any way, shape, or form.

That said, if it actually IS "affordable," hook it to my veins, Sony. Hook it to my veins.

nico1982

Celine said:
That 's my reasoning too but apparently SCE is aiming for $250-300.
Don't ask me how.
CPU and GPU concur only for a small fraction of the final price. The screen is by far the most expensive part, and the PSP2 screen isn't that much different than iPhone 4 and Nexus S ones. Then it's unlikely the profit margin will be obscene as the iPhone. If they sell at production cost, it is not unimaginable to have the 3G less model at around $300.

Yoshida statement is compatible with $300 for the 3G-less SKU and $400 for the 3G enabled one.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'll buy it for a sub 400 price... because I'm a sucker for technology. But I have no doubt that the success of this device is very price dependent.

Sony, you're going to get about a million customers that will buy anything from you. Another few million that will see the value of this technology for what it's worth (inclusive of the content)... and the majority will look at the price tag first before considering whether or not it's in their price range, if not, then they'll keep looking.

Hope you know what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom