• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sopranos thread (Season 5 finale)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm just getting caught up for this season. Just watched like 5 episodes today, on the 10th episode now. 3 more to go!

Stop posting and go watch, Wario! Only a few more hours until the season finale!

Don't know how true this is, but this is a rumor I heard. Take it with a bucket of salt. We'll see soon enough, but I hope it's not true.

Tony ends up killing his cousin. When he meets with Johnny to tell him, the feds pull up and arrest Johnny but leave Tony alone (not enough evidence for him). So he ended up killing his cousin for nothing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Well I gotta wait till tomorrow to watch the finale anyway, I don't have HBO and torrent is the way to go :p

Oh, okay. Didn't realize that you didn't have HBO. Just make sure you don't watch TV, speak to anyone or listen to the radio tomorrow, until you've watched it... ;)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Seriously, I remember the friggin sports section in the local newspaper last year spoiled the damn finale. I mean wtf?

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
Oh man about twenty more minutes. This season has been pretty good so far... I really didn't like the dream episode very much but I haven't been watching the show since the beginning so it kind of confused me. Anyway I think Phil needs to get it tonight and Tony B probably will if they can find him, but maybe something crazy will get thrown in there. Should be good.

aparisi2274

Ok folks so that brings a close to Season 5.

So lets see. 2 out 15 episodes were good. That makes this a shit season.

Now we have to wait until January 2006 for a 6 or 10 episode season, so they can wrap everything up. Its funny to think that originally this is how the sopranos were gonna end.

Season five starts March 2006 -- slated for 10 episodes. Filming hasn't even begun. We have a long wait ahead of us...

I'll just watch every single Sopranos episode on DVD each week up until season 5 starts to tide me over.

Meier

I dont think the season was that bad aparisi but it definitely was not up to the calibur of some of the previous ones. Loved seeing Johnny Sack get nailed haha.

Bacon: So did I at first -- I thought Johnny Sack had set up an ambush or something because it looked a bit like one of them was Phil at first.

Damn. Guess the rumor was right. I didn't think Steve Buscemi would last longer than a season, anyway.

aparisi2274 said:
Now we have to wait until January 2006 for a 6 or 10 episode season, so they can wrap everything up. Its funny to think that originally this is how the sopranos were gonna end.

Oh no, do we really have to wait that long?! Talk about ridiculous. And I don't think this season was that bad. Worst overall season award goes to the previous Season 4.

EDIT: March 2006?? Urkk...

aparisi2274

U can not say this season was a Positive season. I mean u cant expect fans to wait over 14 months for this season, put out 13 crappy episodes and then have 2 good ones, and expect eveything to be allright????

I did like John Sack getting pinched.

I also thought it was an ambush, and I loved Tony's reaction.

All in All, this was a sub-par season.

aparisi2274

heavy liquid said:
Damn. Guess the rumor was right. I didn't think Steve Buscemi would last longer than a season, anyway.

Oh no, do we really have to wait that long?! Talk about ridiculous. And I don't think this season was that bad. Worst overall season award goes to the previous Season 4.

EDIT: March 2006?? Urkk...

No I am pretty sure it is January 2006. I heard them on the radio here in NY, and they said, they would be back on HBO, Jan. 2006

aparisi2274 said:
No I am pretty sure it is January 2006. I heard them on the radio here in NY, and they said, they would be back on HBO, Jan. 2006

Naw, it's March 2006. That's what specifically stated at HBO.com. Also, I didn't like the ending with Johnny Sac getting arrested. I thought he was easily one of the best characters on the show, and his ego, though it bothered a lot of people, will be hard to imitate. I'm gonna miss the guy..

Ecrofirt

wow, I really liked the ending.

Tony just started running, and didn't even say why to John. It'll be fun to see how this pans out next year.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I have to disagree about this being a bad season. I thought some of the writing and character interactions were the best of the series. That said, I thought tonight was weak at the end. Nice to see that prick go down, and the initial cops coming out of the woods was cool but it seemed too pat to me. Eh. Can't believe I have to wait soooo long for the final season.

Wasn't the season finale suppose to be 2 hours long?

This season finale barely topped an hour. Overall it was a pretty good episode, but a weak season finale. I actually would have liked it if they merged the last two episodes into one.

Also, I was disappointed to see another antagonist character get completely neutralized. In season one, it was Junior who was Tony's enemy. But then he got arrested and then drifted into insanity. Now he's about as threatening as Grandpa Simpson. Both Ritchie, Ralphie, and Tony B got offed within a season. Johnny Sack was just turning into a really good rival for Tony, but now he just got arrested by the Feds ala Junior. Regardless of what happens, Sack's power and influence will be drastically reduced next season.

So who will be Tony's antagonist next season? Will they pull another previously unheard of mafia guy out of jail to give Tony conflict only till kill him by the season finale? The minute I saw Tony B. on-screen, I knew he would be dead by tonight.

This wasn't a bad season overall. It had some really good moments (much better than the fourth season). They did a good job with some of the smaller character stories, but I was disappointed with the over-arching storylines. It seems like the previews for the next episodes almost always looked more interesting than the actual episode turned out to be. This was not the case several seasons ago where the actual episodes ended up matching or exceeding the previews.

Again, not bad, but I'm glad I don't have HBO just for the Sopranos anymore because it wouldn't be worth it. Especially since the next season is almost 2 years away again. Thankfully I have HBO for The Wire, Six Feet Under, Boxing, and the occasional movie.

You're just spoiled by the Wire, which in its second season was as perfect as a show can be. Nothing really too big and unexpectant happened in the season finale, and that may have been part of the problem. Other episodes were better, but there were more topnotch episodes this year, than last year (which I thought was very good also).

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
The only thing I see on HBO with a date says "The Sopranos is set for a sixth season. The ten-episode sixth season will begin production in early 2005. No date is available for when the season will premiere. Check back for details."

Ripclawe

Banned
I like how Melfi just happened to set Tony straight on what he should do with his cousin indirectly, She is just tired of Tony whining and going back to square one, just suck it up and take care of business.

I do not want any long stories about AJ ever again, but at least he seems to show some business smarts and during the fight at the party, he looked sort of sinister laughing at the situation.

Fatalah

didja notice tony's smirk after he sat down to call his lawyer?
i hope he never gets caught... at least have him caught in the last episode of the show next season. i don't want to sit through court-room drama....that'd be lame.

I loved when Tony saw the painting of himself with the horse hanging up in Paulie's house. Hilarious. I had completely forgotten about that.

There were a couple points in the show where I thought Tony was going to let loose and beat/shoot someone. One was when Tony saw the painting. I also thought he might loose it when Silvio tried to give him advise, and when he was asking Christopher about Adrianna.

andthebeatgoeson

I saw it late last night while falling asleep, so I caught most of it. I'll watch it again now. But it was a good episode, not great and definitely not worthy of season finale. I guess, they can't start killing off people when they have to make another season. They could have ended it at the previous episode, and it would've been great.

I don't like the way Tony keeps getting out of these conflicts so easily. Hell, they still have the FBI on there ass, supposedly but the show never touched on it until the end, after they resolved with Sacks.
The Tony B killing wasn't as riveting as seeing Big Pussy beg not to be shot in the face.

Overall, probably the 2nd season I would buy on DVD if it wasn't to pricey, right after the first season. This one was great.

I think that was a cool ending. It seems that the NY crew had their OWN Adrianna rat. Expect no one found out/did anything about it. Maybe we find out next season that there's corruption/deals between someone in the NY gang and someone in the FBI..

andthebeatgoeson

Trouble understanding the conversation between Tony S and Jonny Sacks
after the Tony B killing. Why did Tony tell Jonny Sacks that he had a 130 something IQ after Johnny Sacks told him to come into the city that night? Did he think he was gonna be set up?

Best season since Season 2. Not a great finale, but the season as a whole was very, very strong.

The penultimate episode of each season seems to almost always be the stronger of the two, and one of the strongest of the season, with the possible exception of Season 4. In season 1, there's an attempted hit on Tony; Season 2, Janice and Richie, Season 3, the botched up poker game holdup which left 3 dead, Furio pissed, and Jackie Jr. in deep shit, and Season 5, obviously had one of the best of the season on with the whole Adrianna thing (though I liked the one w/Vito and Finn better.)

And if someone thinks that only 2 of 13 are good (i.e. the 'whacking' episodes) you're watching the show for the wrong reasons.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I watched like the last half of season 5 all of yesterday. That episode with that dream was pretty damn weird. I wish I could go back and search the old Sopranos threads, but we're on a new forum dammit!

From this season I liked the first episode, the one where Paulie beat the crap out of the gardner, the one where everyone thought Tony got a BJ from Adriana, the dream episode, and of course the one where Adriana gets whacked. This last one though I thought was way too easy......like they weren't sure how to handle the whole New York vs. Jersey thing so they took the easiest possible solution and had the feds rub out Johnny S when there was never even the slightest hint that it was going to happen prior to this episode. Kinda weak.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
skinnyrattler said:
Trouble understanding the conversation between Tony S and Jonny Sacks
after the Tony B killing. Why did Tony tell Jonny Sacks that he had a 130 something IQ after Johnny Sacks told him to come into the city that night? Did he think he was gonna be set up?

That is exactly what he thought... Didn't want to meet on NYC turf

I hate the whole AJ story line, especially when they waste time on the season finale on him. If I wanted to see a disobedient child I would watch the WB.

What was up with the whole Meadow's boyfriend storyline that they just dropped? They seemed to write filler crap for this whole season with alot of it never being touched on again after the episode it appeared in.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
BoboBrazil said:
What was up with the whole Meadow's boyfriend storyline that they just dropped? They seemed to write filler crap for this whole season with alot of it never being touched on again after the episode it appeared in.

I wanted to see him get hit on more!

BoboBrazil said:

This happens a lot; not just in this season. This one had more closure though; he sees Vito blow the guy, he freaks and gets engaged to Meadow. Vito can't touch him.

Seems a lot more clear-cut then the "Russian" problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom