• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 1 and 2 hold up very well.

phanphare

Banned
Man if y'all never played the Genesis Spider-Man games (excluding fucking Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge), you missed out on some good shit.

yeah I love Maximum Carnage. Separation Anxiety too but I'll usually just play Maximum Carnage lol.

are there others?

Nolan's Batman still maintains the essence of the Batman and Bruce Wayne character though.

Which version?
Bale Batman cannot stand to see Catwoman using a gun. The original Bob Kane / Bill Finger character was quite happy to gun down criminals. He was a psychopath who would happily throw his enemies to their death in a vat of acid and then congratulate himself on a job well done. So, is every subsequent version of Batman a betrayal of the character?
And what about fun-loving 60s Batman? He probably doesn't even understand the concept of brooding, how close is he to Bale?

Again, the fact that you don't see your Spider-Man in Raimi's version is fine. As is the fact that you're looking forward to Homecoming because it might resemble more closely what you want out of the character. But the Raimi films absolutely ARE Spider-Man movies.

cr0w

Old Member
yeah I love Maximum Carnage. Separation Anxiety too but I'll usually just play Maximum Carnage lol.

are there others?

Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin, which is the very first one. The box just says Spider-Man, though.

The_Amazing_Spider-Man_vs._The_Kingpin_cover.jpg

Zekes!

Man if y'all never played the Genesis Spider-Man games (excluding fucking Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge), you missed out on some good shit.

I got some bad news man

those Spider-Man games sucked. I never wanted to admit it as a kid but in my heart I knew better

I'll say one thing about the first two Spider-Man movies: The casting for everybody who wasn't Peter and MJ was spot on. JK Simmons as JJJ, Rosemary Harris as Aunt May, Willem Dafoe as Norman Osborne, and Alfred Molina as Otto Octavious were all some of the best casting that has ever been done for a superhero movie.

Hell, half of what makes Spider-Man 2 still hold up is just how good Alfred Molina is as Doc Ock.

Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin, which is the very first one. The box just says Spider-Man, though.

The_Amazing_Spider-Man_vs._The_Kingpin_cover.jpg
Oh yeah, Nightmare difficulty was really terrifying as a kid for me. Remember all those areas you're used to with just bad guys? Well, here's a Venom boss fight every twenty steps while you have to fight those regular bad guys too.

cr0w

Old Member
I got some bad news man

those Spider-Man games sucked. I never wanted to admit it as a kid but in my heart I knew better

I'll stand by Spider-Man vs The Kingpin and the two symbiote-related beat 'em ups until the day I die. I love those games.

I'll say one thing about the first two Spider-Man movies: The casting for everybody who wasn't Peter and MJ was spot on. JK Simmons as JJJ, Rosemary Harris as Aunt May, Willem Dafoe as Norman Osborne, and Alfred Molina as Otto Octavious were all some of the best casting that has ever been done for a superhero movie.

Hell, half of what makes Spider-Man 2 still hold up is just how good Alfred Molina is as Doc Ock.

I don't like how they handled Doc Ock but yes he was perfectly casted goddamn

LionPride

Banned
Which version?
Bale Batman cannot stand to see Catwoman using a gun. The original Bob Kane / Bill Finger character was quite happy to gun down criminals. He was a psychopath who would happily throw his enemies to their death in a vat of acid and then congratulate himself on a job well done. So, is every subsequent version of Batman a betrayal of the character?
And what about fun-loving 60s Batman? He probably doesn't even understand the concept of brooding, how close is he to Bale?

Again, the fact that you don't see your Spider-Man in Raimi's version is fine. As is the fact that you're looking forward to Homecoming because it might resemble more closely what you want out of the character. But the Raimi films absolutely ARE Spider-Man movies.
Lol you got a point, hey agree to disagree, the Batman I grew up with was not psychopath Batman, more like BtAS Batman, I also care less about him as a character so anything I say bout him is eh. His core character traits to me are his nature as Batman to be brooding and on the clock all the time. Wanting no one to get hurt in his crusade against crime, having hisbhead so far up his ass he won't accept help until absolutely necessary. Using Bruce Wayne as a mask while Batman is the real person. Shit like that.

cr0w

Old Member
I'll never be able to accept Baleman retreating to his mansion and becoming a recluse after Rachel died because all he wanted was to give up being Batman to be with her.

That's so far off the mark that it ruins everything else about his character to me.

Why do people care so much about how Spider-Man was depicted in previous media? "HE'S NOT QUIPPY ENOUGH."

Who cares? Why is that more important than character development or having scenes where the audience actually feels something?

I'll never be able to accept Baleman retreating to his mansion and becoming a recluse after Rachel died because all he wanted was to give up being Batman to be with her.

That's so far off the mark that it ruins everything else about his character to me.

It bugs the shit outta me that Nolan Batman really didn't do that much shit, he kinda failed upwards for a year or two then disappeared for a while, comes back and fakes his death and then just peaces out with Catwoman for good lol

His obsession with Rachel was absolutely the low point of that take on the character.

Why do people care so much about how Spider-Man was depicted in previous media? "HE'S NOT QUIPPY ENOUGH."

Who cares? Why is that more important than character development or having scenes where the audience actually feels something?

Why do people insist that faithfully adapting a character prevents those things?

LionPride

Banned

See and because Batman is purposefully my blind spot in terms of character shit, that never bothered me.
It bugs the shit outta me that Nolan Batman really didn't do that much shit, he kinda failed upwards for a year or two then disappeared for a while, comes back and fakes his death and then just peaces out with Catwoman for good lol
That motherfucker failed upward hard! But I got two great movies and one good movie outta his journey

Acting like I can't see all of these things. Why?

YES

Atrocious is some hyperbole. Like, you do know what that means right?

I do. Do you know what the fuck an opinion is? Sheesh. Foh

Spider-Man media needs to reach a certain quips-per-minute threshold to be real Spider-Man.

Because it's possible to do both. Jesus Christ.

Good thing there's no definitive version if the character. Also, that's 100% irrelevant. Criticize the movie.

I do. Do you know what the fuck an opinion is? Sheesh. Foh
It's of my opinion you are being hyperbolic and insincere to the actual discussion. These movies do not exist in a vacuum. I can show you atrocious wire work. At least be honest or else people will not take you seriously.

JCHandsom

Didn't he retire because he thought he "won" at the end of TDK? With all the gang/mob members jailed without parole?

phanphare

Banned

why is this framed as an either/or?

Good thing there's no definitive version if the character. Also, that's 100% irrelevant. Criticize the movie.

It's an adaptation, which means you're allowed to criticize how close it gets to nailing the character, even if you really love the movie (which most of us do). Shocking, I know.

cr0w

Old Member
See and because Batman is purposefully my blind spot in terms of character shit, that never bothered me.

Yeah if you're not really into Batman in the comics or otherwise it wouldn't be a sticking point. It adds good motivation to the character for those who aren't attached to the comic versions.

It bugs the shit out of me because Begins was so good and close to getting it right, then they just reverse course in TDK and TDKR and it all becomes about RACHELLLLL.

Goddamn if Bruce shut down every time someone he's close to gets killed off, he'd never get anything done. His entire existence is about being Batman, he can't live without it.

Zekes!

His obsession with Rachel was absolutely the low point of that take on the character.

Yeah I really didn't like Nolan's take on Batman, and as well made as those films are, I just don't like them outside of Batman Begins.

Composer

Spiderman 1 and 2 are still my favorite super hero flicks. I don't see them be de-throned, especially the way the current Marvel films are headed. They were perfectly cast and executed. I didn't mind Spiderman 3 either TBH.

Redd

Hell yeah. William Dafoe's Green Goblin is very underrated imo.

LionPride

Banned
Yeah if you're not really into Batman in the comics or otherwise it wouldn't be a sticking point. It adds good motivation to the character for those who aren't attached to the comic versions.

It bugs the shit out of me because Begins was so good and close to getting it right, then they just reverse course in TDK and TDKR and it all becomes about RACHELLLLL.

Goddamn if Bruce shut down every time someone he's close to gets killed off, he'd never get anything done. His entire existence is about being Batman, he can't live without it.
This may be the reason I ain't a huge Batmam fan. Like his characters and villains outside of Joker, but Bruce Wayne ain't shit.

Skilletor

I care that there are actors that can act playing Parker and MJ that make me feel something.

The only thing the Raimi films make me feel is annoyed at how terrible they are.

It's an adaptation, which means you're allowed to criticize how close it gets to nailing the character, even if you really love the movie (which most of us do). Shocking, I know.

You can't because it makes no sense. It literally makes zero sense. You are criticizing a movie based off features the movie never had in the first place. Do you judge almonds for not having strawberry filling?

That's what I'm doing, though?

That's so off the mark from what then? What does it conflict with in the movie? It's been shown that he'll give up being Batman for Rachel.

yepyepyep

Other than Burton's Batman films, the first two are the only superhero films I generally like. Raimi has a great cheesy sense of humour and I love the Evil Dead homage during the hospital scene.

You can't because it makes no sense. It literally makes zero sense. You are criticizing a movie based off features the movie never had in the first place. Do you judge almonds for not having strawberry filling?

Doesn't matter what Bruce does or doesn't do in other media, his version in Nolan's movies is a shitty fucking Batman so yes he is criticizing the movie.

cr0w

Old Member
This may be the reason I ain't a huge Batmam fan. Like his characters and villains outside of Joker, but Bruce Wayne ain't shit.

There are some really good runs in the 80s-00s that might change your mind, but many of them are off the beaten path from the usual top ten lists.

Stuff from Legends of the Dark Knight like the Gothic storyline and the Prey storyline are really damn good.

I haven't really been able to get into the comics since Hush and the like hit.

phanphare

Banned

preach

Doesn't matter what Bruce does or doesn't do in other media, his version in Nolan's movies is a shitty fucking Batman so yes he is criticizing the movie.

So.

Let me get this 100% straight.

Your issue extends past the movie?

Do you get how ridiculous that sounds when you're critiquing the movie?

cr0w

Old Member

That's so off the mark from what then? What does it conflict with in the movie? It's been shown that he'll give up being Batman for Rachel.

It directly contradicts the ending of Begins, where it's made clear that Gotham and Bruce will always need Batman. That's his endgame. Then TDK comes along and all he cares about is Gotham not needing him anymore and giving it all up for Rachel.

It conflicts with the character they already established.

Top Bottom