• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 1 and 2 hold up very well.

Shaanyboi

Banned
That's what I would say is the biggest thing the Raimi movies accomplished. The big emotional moments feel earned.
They also successfully paint Peter's life as tragic, without the need to be endlessly dour. Emotionally, they pound him into the fucking dirt. But whether it be Rosemary Harris' performance May, or MJ standing in the doorway at the end of Spider-Man 2, those moments feel so fucking powerful. Hell, MJ's "Go get 'em, tiger" at the end of that movie is fucking perfect.

Jumeira

Banned
Dunst was awful, nothing about her was appealing, Goblins suit was terrible infact part 1 isn't good, ASM is superior. But part 2 is fantastic, giant leap in quality and writing.

Also, unlike modern Marvel, the music was brilliant and truly iconic.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Would you all say that the Raimi Spider-Man movies get more topics and go through more scrutiny than any other movie series, save for maybe Star Wars, here on GAF? I find it all to be very interesting.

i think this is just because of the run up to Homecoming has put a big microscope on all the Spider-Man movies

it's very much in the public consciousness right now

Would you all say that the Raimi Spider-Man movies get more topics and go through more scrutiny than any other movie series, save for maybe Star Wars, here on GAF? I find it all to be very interesting.

There's been a lot of Spider-Man talk lately because of the new movie but I'd say that Man of Steel and BvS are still kings of Off-Topic, for better or worse.

LionPride

Banned
There's been a lot of Spider-Man talk lately because of the new movie but I'd say that Man of Steel and BvS are still kings of Off-Topic, for better or worse.
Fucking awful threads. People throw hyperbole everywhere about the quality of the films, people become assholes who either say "if you liked the movie you're an idiot!" Or "you're too stupid to get it!" And people just spew dumb shit. Fucking hel JL's threads will be something to see

That said, Spider-Man 1 and 2 are fucking amazing. They are the most "comic book-y" comic book movies you'll ever see. The characterizations are impeccable. The way that the cops are all idiots and all of the main characters don't quite act or speak like people actually would in those situations. They all ham it up, but never go over the top. The music is perfect. The editing is fantastic. I could go on all day.

The reason why Spider-Man 3 sucked so bad has nothing to do with the multiple villains. It's mostly because they messed up the characterizations that were so perfect in Spider-Man 1 and 2. Spidey 3 started off well, but the way the characters started acting was more akin to how the characters acted in Batman and Robin. Way too over-the-top. They stopped being the characters we had come to know in 1 and 2, and they turned into jokes of themselves. Elfman was also sorely missed. Some of the music in 3 really, really sucked. Again, I could compare a lot of the music in Spider-Man 3 to stuff that I heard in Batman and Robin.

They seriously aren't.

Fucking awful threads. People throw hyperbole everywhere about the quality of the films, people become assholes who either say "if you liked the movie you're an idiot!" Or "you're too stupid to get it!" And people just spew dumb shit. Fucking hel JL's threads will be something to see

I skip most of these threads but sometimes I just can't help myself so I make a quick comment and get out fast. Next november, Off-Topic will be on fire, lol.

TissueBox

Spider-Man 3's second Harry/Peter fight was brutal, I actually liked its attempts at emphasizing Osbourne's 'tragic character' arc and the whole vengeance tennis interplay. In other words the movie coulda been great with a little trimming.

Just re-watched S2 and it really is a tour de force in craftsmanship, film-wise. One of the strongest straightforward superhero movies in this century.

VAD

Goat superhero theme. Those movies are treasures that manage to blend cheesiness, epicness and humor. The aftermath of Spider-Man 2's train scene encapsulates what I love about the wall crawler: a selfless hero that saved the people of New York and the people of New York that saved him back.
I hope the upcoming movie will hit the same notes.

Spider-Man 3's second Harry/Peter fight was brutal, I actually liked its attempts at emphasizing Osbourne's 'tragic character' arc and the whole vengeance tennis interplay. In other words the movie coulda been great with a little trimming.

Just re-watched S2 and it really is a tour de force in craftsmanship, film-wise. One of the strongest straightforward superhero movies in this century.

That opening fight and Sandman's origin, I thought they were actually going to top SM2. Things fell apart so fast lol

matt360

They seriously aren't.

Helllllllll to the no

Feel free to have your opinions, but I'll die on this hill. There has not been a single superhero movie to nail the feel of the comics they originated from than the way the Raimi movies captured the spirit and the heart of early ASM comics. There have been some great superhero movies, but none match the spirit of their source material the way those Raimi movies do. If your idea or image of Spider-Man doesn't originate from the early issues of Amazing Spider-Man, then I can understand how you'd disagree. But I feel like most people with their roots planted there would readily agree.

Feel free to have your opinions, but I'll die on this hill. There has not been a single superhero movie to nail the feel of the comics they originated from than the way the Raimi movies captured the spirit and the heart of early ASM comics. There have been some great superhero movies, but none match the spirit of their source material the way those Raimi movies do. If your idea or image of Spider-Man doesn't originate from the early issues of Amazing Spider-Man, then I can understand how you'd disagree. But I feel like most people with their roots planted there would readily agree.

Even the loudest defenders of those movies don't think they're the most "comic book-y". We're just now in an age where comic films are really accepting that they're based on fucking comic books.

Nerfing Peter's genius intellect, general playful nature as Spidey, and grounding the hell out of his enemies while removing the agency of arguably his best nemesis in Doc Ock doesn't help. They don't even capture Spider-Man better than the ASM movies, let alone other greats.

matt360

Even the loudest defenders of those movies don't think they're the most "comic book-y". We're just now in an age where comic films are really accepting that they're based on fucking comic books.

Nerfing Peter's genius intellect, general playful nature as Spidey, and grounding the hell out of his enemies while removing the agency of arguably his best nemesis in Doc Ock doesn't help. They don't even capture Spider-Man better than the ASM movies, let alone other greats.

Yes they do. They absolutely do. It's one of the reasons those movies are still so beloved.

And your second paragraph is lacking. Nerfing Pete's genius? Hmmm, he could understand Osborne's paper as high school student, he knew enough about nuclear fission to be able to question Doc Ock's work, yet his intellect was nerfed? And how is Spider-Man delivering pizzas not playful? Or the, "Here's your change." scene. Or the scene in Spider-Man 3 where he was presented the key to the city. It's all right there. I'll concede to your point about Doc Ock though, but overall you're totally wrong about the Raimi movies not capturing Spider-Man.

Link1110

Seeing the title made me wonder about spider man 3, and is actually say it's better now than it was at first. At first, watching out after spider man 2,we were expecting a masterpiece. Watching it now knowing what to expect is just hilariously bad and entertaining in its own way.

Vampfox

Banned
Still the best super hero movies in my opinion. Way better than the MCU movies, and the boring overrated Nolan Batman films.

Top Bottom