• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Dylan O’Brien & Logan Lerman Being Eyed for MCU Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
...is every one of your responses going to be "look at..."?

I've looked at it al! None of them are films series with two franchises in the past decade.
What was done in the previous films isn't relevant. What is relevant is Marvel wants a high school aged Spidey.

Sanjuro

Every notable aspect about Spider-Man is doable and has been done with him as a high-schooler:

1. Fighting villains/crime
2. Having romantic troubles
3. Working for daily bugle
4. Money troubles
5. Wise cracking.

There is nothing notable about the character that isn't doable or has not been done using a high school aged Parker.

Spectacular Spider-Man is a perfect example. Skipped his origin but was a high schooler for the full run of the series.

I'm not disagreeing with you there.

What was done in the previous films isn't relevant. What is relevant is Marvel wants a high school aged Spidey.

Ok...

Love how people assume that young spidey means that Marvel will Copy/Paste the other films with a new character.

As if that was ever going to happen...

Cheebo

Banned
aren't these two like the biggest choices for fan casting? does variety have a real source on this or is this just feeding into that?
It's Variety. They don't say they hear those actors are in talks unless they are. variety is no fan site. They wouldn't report anything without a source. They are a legit news organization.

Baki

So what? His age didn't magically change 30 minutes into the movie. If he was 17 for the first 30 minutes then he was the exact same age for the rest of the movie. He was the age of a high schooler the entire time.

First spiderman pretty quickly moved to his college years

Tobey Maguire or James Franco didnt looked like 17 years old in the movie. More like mid-twenty.

Yes, but I dont want to wait 5 years. Especially when they even clean the slate to jump right in in Spideys story.
So what? People are mad that they're going with a high school Peter because they don't like the fact that he's going to be a young hero again instead of being older and established, not because the character is going to look a little young. I seriously doubt everyone would be alright with it if they hired a guy who looked thirty to play high school Peter, his physical look isn't the part people are complaining about.

Plus, one of the guys is pretty much a dead lock for Peter anyway, and this picture is when Peter is in his 30's.
Dylan-O-Brien-dylan-obrien-34166353-1280-720.jpg

peter-parker-crop.jpg

First spiderman pretty quickly moved to his college years
All of the problems people are complaining about were still present in the movie. A 17 year old college student starting his first year and the 17 year old high schooler graduating aren't radically different. When people talk about college Peter they're talking about a more comfortable, established, confident Peter, which Spider-Man 1 pretty purposefully did not give us. There's nothing that was done in Spider-Man 1 that would have had to be changed if Peter was still a kid in high school. He was still young, inexperienced and socially awkward. Him not roaming the halls of a high school in every scene doesn't change that. He's still a young, dumb kid.

Is irrelevant
Just wait until they announce the new title as Ultimate Spider-Man. ultimate spidey is great, it's the only book series that I read since issue 1 until Peter's death, and I loved all of it. Even the weird gwen carnage, gender bent spiderwoman and that hilarious episode where peter parker body swap with wolverine.

RangerX

Banned
Haven't seen anything this guy is in. I can see him as Parker, but can he act?

Edit: Just watched the Stiles Stilinski video. Two thumbs up from me.

Agreed.

I'm completely disagreeing with all these Gaffers clamoring for an adult spiderman, because there are NO young people in the Avengers, and if they are going to do someone young, it should be Spidey.

Then there is, on the other hand, the past 5 movies that have dealt with teen/young adult spiderman and have explored those themes already.

Another origin story likely, then?

no, the leaked emails indicated they would start with a peter parker that's already been spidey for some time

Then there is, on the other hand, the past 5 movies that have dealt with teen/young adult spiderman and have explored those themes already.

sure, but they were not canon in the MCU and focused very squarely on peter's romances. if the leaks/rumours hold weight then we know that they're going to be focusing on other aspects of pete's early life. there's plenty of material that they can adapt to tell new stories from that period of his life.

Seriously, Peter has always been good looking and a genius. What's supposed to be "everyman" about him is his social and financial situation.
Pretty much. He had low confidence, but lots off girls liked him. From that Teen Wolf clip, o could totally see Dylan being the role. He seems like a great fit.

DedValve

Banned
I would have preferred Miles, not only because having a minority would be awesome as lead but because Peter's already been done twice and you can't top Toby.

I would have preferred Miles, not only because having a minority would be awesome as lead but because Peter's already been done twice and you can't top Toby.

Tobey was effectively topped by Garfield in every way, with better dramatic and comedic chops by a long shot. I liked Tobey because I found him... well, likable, but Garfield bested him at the performance.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So what? People are mad that they're going with a high school Peter because they don't like the fact that he's going to be a young hero again instead of being older and established, not because the character is going to look a little young. I seriously doubt everyone would be alright with it if they hired a guy who looked thirty to play high school Peter, his physical look isn't the part people are complaining about.

Plus, one of the guys is pretty much a dead lock for Peter anyway, and this picture is when Peter is in his 30's.
What does it help that he look like 30 when he is stuck in school?
He could look like 60 and if the movie takes place in school I would complain.

All of the problems people are complaining about were still present in the movie. A 17 year old college student starting his first year and the 17 year old high schooler graduating aren't radically different. When people talk about college Peter they're talking about a more comfortable, established, confident Peter, which Spider-Man 1 pretty purposefully did not give us. There's nothing that was done in Spider-Man 1 that would have had to be changed if Peter was still a kid in high school. He was still young, inexperienced and socially awkward. Him not roaming the halls of a high school in every scene doesn't change that. He's still a young, dumb kid.
Again and again: He granduated after like 30 minutes. And 25 minutes of this time were filled with how he discovered his powers (a lot of time was spend on this out of school), how his uncle was shoot, how he chased the burgular and how he designed his costume.
It doesnt matter if he was high school aged during this. I couldnt care less about this. It was not focused on the school thing. They just showed that he was bullied, took the field trip to let him get bitten und how he beat Flash and this was it. A laughable percent of the time was spend directly with stuff where it mattered that he was in school.

E the Shaggy

Lerman isn't that great of an actor to be honest, unless there's a role he's had aside from Percy Jackson that he really stands out in.

Don't know much about O'Brien.

Keep in mind, Marvel is probably using the Ultimate stuff as a spring board, ie Peter will look close to this:

detail.jpg

What does it help that he look like 30 when he is stuck in school?
He could look like 60 and if the movie takes place in school I would complain.
That was my point. I said that they were supposed to be 17 throughout the whole movie and you responded by saying that they didn't look like they were 17 and looked like they were in their mid 20s, as if that has any bearing on anything.

I don't even know what point you're trying to argue anymore. You seem mad that they're going with high school Peter again yet seem to defend the first movie when Peter acts like high school Peter throughout that entire movie.

BLACKLAC

Dylan O’Brien is looking like the best choice. It's harder to find someone with great comedic timing so that's a big box checked off right there. He also has a good frame, get him on the Marvel diet and put some mass on him (don't skip leg day), he will look great in costume.

Exactly. And he's got a lot of charm in Teen Wolf. Dude is a likable screen presence.

Yep I've said it a bunch of times and I'll say it again, dude is BORN for the role. Not just his looks either. His personality on Teen Wolf shares a lot of similarities with Parker and he owns that role.

IMO this should be a clear choice. Also Maze Runner performed very well at the BO so they know he can carry a franchise film as the lead.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That was my point. I said that they were supposed to be 17 throughout the whole movie and you responded by saying that they didn't look like they were 17 and looked like they were in their mid 20s, as if that has any bearing on anything.

I think we should settle this with that we understood us wrong. I am not a native english speaker and I have sometimes trouble with expressing me the right way.

;)

Sony eyeing Dylan O’Brien just after NeoGAF talked about him.

Wow, is this real?

I think it's more like an obvious choice than coincidence. People are talking about it because it would be a good decision and the studio seems to agree, at least to a degree.

My money is on it not happening as there are always a lot of considerations so Dylan being considered is only natural, but I'm hoping it's him or that they manage to find someone better (that's not named Logan Lerman or Zac Efron).

Krowley

Wrap this shit up then. He can be a Spidermang.

His character is the best thing on Teen Wolf, and he's not even the werewolf... He's basically the nerdy, wisecracking sidekick. Without him, the show will fall apart immediately.

Actually, he basically already plays Peter Parker without superpowers. He has that everyman likability that Tobey brought to the role, along with excellent comic timing.

His character is the best thing on Teen Wolf, and he's not even the werewolf... He's basically the nerdy, wisecracking sidekick. Without him, the show will fall apart immediately.

That show would have been total dogshit without him. He's the cohesive glue that makes every facet about that show that actually works... work. The actual protagonist is bland as hell by comparison.

Sanjuro

Actually, he basically already plays Peter Parker without superpowers. He has that everyman likability that Tobey brought to the role, along with excellent comic timing.

Hahaha wait, there actually is a new Teen Wolf? I thought people were referencing the old films. Lol

Krowley

That show would have been total dogshit without him. He's the cohesive glue that makes every facet about that show that actually works... work. The actual protagonist is bland as hell by comparison.

Totally agree.

I think he's the main reason that show is still around.

Hahaha wait, there actually is a new Teen Wolf? I thought people were referencing the old films. Lol

Yeah, it's been running for a few seasons now. It's not great, not at all, but there are stretches of episodes that are reasonably entertaining.

Yep, and I'd wager that the only reason it's still going is because of Dylan. A good ways in, I realized that the only reason I cared about what was going on was because of his character caring about what was going on. Taken individually there's no way I would have given one shit about the main character or his love interest without Dylan bringing a heavy sense of friendship to the show.

Totally agree.

I think he's the main reason that show is still around.

That wavelength!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
There has been a lot of truly ridiculous, delusional stuff posted on gaf over the years, but I don't think anything tops people actually having any hope that Marvel would go with Miles over Peter.

There has been a lot of truly ridiculous, delusional stuff posted on gaf over the years, but I don't think anything tops people actually having any hope that Marvel would go with Miles over Peter.

Agreed. To 99% of movie goers Parker IS Spidey. They have no idea who Miles is. It woild be like making Batman without Bruce or Supes without Kent

Shahadan

O'brien is the better actor of the two, and is great at both comedy and drama. Not even a contest if that's what they're looking for.

Now Lerman is probably a bit better known and probably more available.

Sanjuro

Yep, and I'd wager that the only reason it's still going is because of Dylan. A good ways in, I realized that the only reason I cared about what was going on was because of his character caring about what was going on. Taken individually there's no way I would have given one shit about the main character or his love interest without Dylan bringing a heavy sense of friendship to the show.

That wavelength!

Gotcha.

Yeah, I'm still waking up sitting in a parking lot in the cold with my coffee. I remember skimming like "lol teen wolf". Then I saw it again and my brain barely started putting the link together.

Slayven

And those poeple miss the point. Miles' is different from Peter, but he is trying to live up the legacy that Peter started, but in his own way. Can't do Miles without Peter.

that and people think a 32 year old should and can play a 12 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom