• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

Tobor

Seems to me like people are complaining that the movie just seems fun. You can have a fun movie with a great story, characters, villains, etc, but that review doesn't really tell us that.

That's because you have to actually read the reviews, and not the snippets we are posting here.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
How did we get to a point where there are seriously people who think it's bad that a summer blockbuster is fun?

Ahasverus

You've said some pretty suspect shit in this thread already but this takes the piss.
Call me when a MCU movie has a villain as well written as Molina's Octavius.

The Stark stuff in that review has me in tears (of sadness). Feige. What. Have. You. Done.

evil ways

Going by reviews, the film is too fun, and has way too much color. Needs more spiked armors, guns, ninja swords and dark rainy settings.

http://www.slashfilm.com/spider-man-homecoming-review/
Spider-Man: Homecoming is a franchise reboot done right. Thanks to an extraordinary performance from Tom Holland, an authentic portrayal of high school life that would make John Hughes proud, some surprises that have thankfully been kept secret for the most part, and a larger sandbox for Spidey to crawl around in and some impressive action, Spider-Man is amazing once again.

9/10

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/review-spider-man-homecoming-220
The more I think about SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING, the more I appreciate and adore it. It's definitely in the top echelon of Marvel movies, up there with the first GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, which might be my two favorite superhero movies of all time. I've only seen it once, this is true, but even after one viewing it's pretty hard to walk away from HOMECOMING not thinking you've just seen the most ideal big-screen take on Spidey yet, and one of the best examples of the genre, period.

9/10

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...BlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

The magic of Homecoming is that it belongs more to the John Hughes cinematic universe than the Avengers'. It cleverly references other Marvel films and even iconic scenes from previous Spider-jams, and right when it needs to, the story tosses out a big twist that ups the emotional stakes for Peter and brings his student and superhero lives crashing down on him.

3.5 stars

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/re...ampaign=spider-man-homecoming-review#/slide/1
Tom Holland may have a hard road ahead, because he so completely fills Peter Parker's shoes that it might be difficult to see him as anything else. There is so much charm in Spider-Man: Homecoming, and it's a joy to take with you when you leave. Even the after-credit sequences add to the joy and fun of this movie. This is one of the very best Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, and one of the best films of the year.

9.5/10

CloudWolf

Well, this is about what I expected. A MCU movie that's fun to watch in cinema's, but is easily forgotten afterwards. Not that fun is bad, it's just a shame that all of these MCU films don't really seem to stand out one way or another.

Zutrax

Despite the good press, I'm still probably waiting on this one.

Spiderman himself isn't my go to hero of choice, and I'm not a huge fan of the Vulture as a villain pick either. If fun is the only thing it has going for it, that's great and all and certainly shouldn't be a knock for a film that is going for that, but I just want more from a Spiderman film at this point.

Ahasverus

Going by reviews, the film is too fun, and has way too much color. Needs more spiked armors, guns, ninja swords and dark rainy settings.
It's actually not that colorful, it looks sometimes desaturated such that the suit is not red but pink.

It all feels so wrong.

marrec

Banned
we need a Superior Spidey arc where Spock takes someone's jaw off with a punch and beats someone to death

Spock was all about the good times I dunno what you're talking about:

iNDQIha.png

JJH

I'm sure I'll enjoy this, but man what a great year for CBM. Logan, GOTG2, and Wonder Woman have all been great.

Well, this is about what I expected. A MCU movie that's fun to watch in cinema's, but is easily forgotten afterwards. Not that fun is bad, it's just a shame that all of these MCU films don't really seem to stand out one way or another.

Is it?

From the review above:
I've only seen it once, this is true, but even after one viewing it's pretty hard to walk away from HOMECOMING not thinking you've just seen the most ideal big-screen take on Spidey yet, and one of the best examples of the genre, period.

link1201

Wow, I'd take a mediocre Spider-Man film over most other superhero movies so seeing it reviewing so well has me really anxious to see it now! I may take Friday off instead of waiting until later in the weekend.

"It doesn't have dramatic worth, or a great story, or is remarkable in any sense.. but it's FUN, like, it has HUMOR which is so UNIQUE, 9/10 the future of super hero movies".

Give me a break. Spider-Man is one of those characters that have like lots of material to take inspiration from to make a legit great story, be it on high school or adult setting, you name it. But Disney genericness knows no bounds.

I'd rather have another Sony movie.

Maybe someday Marvel will hire Zack Snyder to give you a movie version of this:

lEXW0To.png

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn I'm glad its reviewing so well! Been waiting for a good Spidey flick for a long time now.

Blader

I'd be dissapointed, but thankfully it did have very great story and dramatic depth. That wasn't the main takeaway of its reviews either. Most were calling it a triumph for the whole genre. This one is more like "it's another one, it's inoffensive, you'll laugh I guess?".

This is Spider-Man we're talking about. The cream of the crop. If your Spider-Man movie isn't a show stopper you're doing it wrong.

I have a hard time believing you've read every review and impression so far. Call me crazy but I think you came into this thread -- and this movie -- just believing the bolded will be true no matter what because that better fits your own personal narrative?

The main takeaway of the Wonder Woman reviews is that it was a fun, optimistic movie that stood in stark contrast to the tone of the other DCEU movies, and I think pretending otherwise is pretty disingenuous. (I'd also argue that Wonder Woman's story is pretty rote for the genre -- fine! inoffensive! certainly not dramatically deep -- but whatever.)

Well damn, looks like it's better than I expected.
Depending on the Kermode review, I might actually end up seeing this in theaters.
What a year for superhero films.

jph139

Huh.

Sony must have a godawful marketing department because it's looked completely forgettable in every trailer so far. And yet here we are with glowing reviews... maybe I'll see it in theaters after all.

A spider man movie is FUN? FUCKING MAHVEL

Ruining my cinema, how dare it be fun! I wanted a somber look at the refugee crisis and the complex geopolitical realities of Assad led Syria. Not a movie about a 17 year old super hero that's, ugh, fun.

Top Bottom