• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

Rave reviews for both Spider Man and War for the Planet of the Apes? Yeah, Dunkirk might not just disappoint domestically, it could very well bomb here.

If this is genuinely good, I'll definitely be hugely relieved. A lot of what I'd been seeing from the film in the marketing was concerning me...and as a huge Spider-Man fan (my favourite Marvel character), it would definitely have been dissapointing if Marvel bungled their first crack at the webslinger in some way.

Of course, I was always going to see it the instant it came out here in the UK, but to know this is a genuinely good Spider-Man movie would be a huge relief. Now I just have to worry about whether it'll be "Doctor Strange" good ("fun", but ultimately utterly forgettable) or a higher level of quality entirely.

I pray it's not the same case as strange. That shit also got pretty solid reviews out the gate and was a remarkably dull movie

But this one I'm seeing in theaters for sure, it's Spider-Man. Seen them all in the cinema. And he's great. Even in the awful Marc Webb movies I enjoyed a few brief moments with the main character. I hope this is as good as some of these reviews say. At least I already know I'll like Parker after seeing civil war.

We survived BvS and Elektra. It can survive anything.

No, I think a doctor explaining to Peter on screen that his radioactive semen murdered MJ would be the death of the genre.

Rave reviews for both Spider Man and War for the Planet of the Apes? Yeah, Dunkirk might not just disappoint domestically, it could very well bomb here.

Doubtful. Going to have an insane July at the box office I think.

Spider-Man 2 is a masterpiece. Now those movies achieved the perfect balance.

I see nothing in that review you used to reach your "empty vanilla" conclusion that can't also be applied to Spider-Man 2. Like, somehow you decided that the villain would be bad even though that review praises him.

Litan

How did we get to a point where there are seriously people who think it's bad that a summer blockbuster is fun?
Ever since MoS and BvS got criticized for taking the fun out of Superman, some DCEU fans have gone to ridiculous lengths to make sure everyone knows how bad fun is, and how Marvel is kiddie unlike mature, deep Snyder films. It's basically like Nintendo - Sony/MS fanboy wars but with Studios.

It's been interesting watching Ahasversus transition from regular fanboy to Bleepey/BadAss-level fanboy. He is truly lost to us now.

hollomat

Banned
Call me when a MCU movie has a villain as well written as Molina's Octavius.

The Stark stuff in that review has me in tears (of sadness). Feige. What. Have. You. Done.

You mean the guy controlled by his metal arms? I'll never understand the love for that movie. It was absolutely terrible. I guess spider man 3 was so terrible it made spider man 2 look good.

I'm excited for this one though. Hated the raimi movies and amazing spider man ones.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I see nothing in that review you quoted that can't also be applied to Spider-Man 2. Like, somehow you decided that the villain would be bad even though that review praises him.

he has already decided how to feel on the entire slate of MCU movies

its corporate fanboyism by a grown man in 2017

It's been interesting watching Ahasversus transition from regular fanboy to Bleepey/BadAss-level fanboy. He is truly lost to us now.

this is the truly tragic bit

Blader

Molina's Octavius was fucking Curt Connors. Great acting, but that ain't Doc Ock, FOH.

yeah, love the movie, but Raimi basically just copy/pasted the Lizard story, lol.

Given that, I always thought the next best route to go with the Lizard would be to do a Kraven's Last Hunt story, with Lizard standing in for Vermin and being (at least at the start) the focus for Kraven. It adds a little more heft to the story if Peter finds himself in Kraven's crosshairs because he's going out of his way to protect his friend from being killed. Instead of this "create a race of lizardpeople" bullshit they did in ASM.

kurahador

Vindictive Ahasverus posts aside, I'm glad this is reviewing well.

I really expected worse from this. But between that leaked email and Civil War appearance, Feige and Marvel proved themselves that they laid a solid groundwork for Spiderman.

Marvel has had a longstanding problem with its villains, each less compelling than the last, but the film’s handling of Vulture is one of its many masterstrokes. He’s given depth, humanity and moral ambiguity, a working-class grafter up against what he sees as Tony Stark’s careless elite. Civil War’s smartest idea was examining the damaging effect that the Avengers had on the world around them, and that theme is nicely built on here, class warfare serving as a subtle subtext to the film’s more literal conflicts.
:)

Doubtful. Going to have an insane July at the box office I think.

Dunkirik is also going to have to compete with Valerian opening the same weekend. I don't think the box office is going to be insane. I think Spiderman and War for the Planet of the Apes are going to do really well and have a good run.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Vindictive Ahasverus posts aside, I'm glad this is reviewing well.

I really expected worse from this. But between that leaked email and Civil War appearance, Feige and Marvel proved themselves that they laid a solid groundwork for Spiderman.

I'll be fascinated to see how this performs at the box office given how much damage the Amazing Spiderman series seemed to have done to the brand.

Sony have been doing a great job with the marketing though, so I guess we'll see.

OH BOY.

vivekTO

Good reviews.

One question: is it good to see it in IMAX? i mean does it filmed on IMAX camera or some of it or Not??

You mean the guy controlled by his metal arms? I'll never understand the love for that movie. It was absolutely terrible. I guess spider man 3 was so terrible it made spider man 2 look good.

I'm excited for this one though. Hated the raimi movies and amazing spider man ones.

JguPjyB.gif

Ahasverus

I see nothing in that review you quoted that can't also be applied to Spider-Man 2. Like, somehow you decided that the villain would be bad even though that review praises him.
No I haven't. I do have lots of hopes riding on The Vultre given Keaton and the reason that he's signed for more movies which means I think they won't kill him off without development.

I see praise for this movie, it's obvious it's good, but it's not the groundbreaking praise I was hoping for. That's it. I just love Spider-Man, want it to be the very best it can be. No Ill intentions here. I'm allergic to corporate involment and the whole Stark stuff just makes me sick, which sours me a lot, but it's not that I want it to be bad. I want it to be very, very good.

If it's only "normal good" then I'm dissapointed, but it's ok, I know people will like it and suppose that's good for the franchise's future.

Please understand, I guess.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Glad to see it reviewing well.

What have critics said about Micheal Keaton?.

From the Guardians review George just quoted above:

Marvel has had a longstanding problem with its villains, each less compelling than the last, but the film’s handling of Vulture is one of its many masterstrokes. He’s given depth, humanity and moral ambiguity, a working-class grafter up against what he sees as Tony Stark’s careless elite. Civil War’s smartest idea was examining the damaging effect that the Avengers had on the world around them, and that theme is nicely built on here, class warfare serving as a subtle subtext to the film’s more literal conflicts.

Yeah, this might have a chance at passing a billion now. I didn't think it was very likely before because of apathy towards the sixth entry in an uneven series but now I wouldn't rule it out. I wonder what the US opening week-end will look like.

PR_rambo

Banned
Keaton is getting heaps of praise. And Villains are usually a weak point in these films, but looks like we're finally getting a great one and i'm so damn happy for Keaton , he still knows how to get nuts.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I want to take my sister to this, but given that she hasn't seen Civil War, I wonder if she'd find it a bit confusing. She loved the Iron Man films.

Well, this is about what I expected. A MCU movie that's fun to watch in cinema's, but is easily forgotten afterwards. Not that fun is bad, it's just a shame that all of these MCU films don't really seem to stand out one way or another.

Which reviews are you reading lmao

Denzar

Wow, this is done by the dude that directed Cop Car. Great flick! That and glowing reviews, I'll have to check this out.

Yager

Banned

tumblr_nvv4t3JV8J1tg07vxo2_500.gif

jph139

Man, if they nail Vulture - and he survives through the end - then whew, we've got a stew going here.

This isn't, like, C-tier Dr. Strange baddies and that random Ant-Man dude. Spider-Man has THE greatest rogues next to Batman. It'd be an absolute waste not to give them as much attention as Spidey himself.

Dreams of a Sinister Six lineup...

Top Bottom