• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Jackano

Am I crazy or is the new salmon run map poorly designed haven't gotten past round 2 out of 5 games and I am about to lose rank

Some events are way easier with an adequate strategy, and other events can be more difficult if you don't have a good one. It feels more unbalanced but I don't think it's a bad thing. You need a better co-operative play.

I'm more blaming the rank process. It's too simple and with only 4 players teams your teammates have too much indirect influence on your own rank.

A quick and simple change I'd like to see for example, at the highest rank:
- Die or time up at wave 1 but had the required number of eggs, -15pts (instead of -20 IIRC)
- Die or time up at wave 2 but had the required number of eggs, -5pts (instead of -10 IIRC)
- Die or time up at wave 3 but had the required number of eggs, +5pts (instead of 0)

You should be rewarded 5 or even 10pts if you die trying to get those eggs :)

XaosWolf

As someone who uses the Tri Slosher a lot, I hope it gets nerfed quite a bit. I love being OP but its not fun for others.

The Ink Armour will still make it viable if they take a chunk of the damage off. (Especially off the side sloshes)

Maybe look at the Octobrush too. That's the other one that comes up a lot.

J@hranimo

Banned
Both of those weapons should remain strong.

Funny enough, both of their specials need a good bit of tuning. Ink Armor needs ALL of its invincibility frames to go and inkjet needs some movement nerfs to enable some other weapons to take them out easier. Buff baller. Buff stingray(?)

All the rollers need the most love in this patch. Dynamo being strong again would make many matches way more interesting, both in turf and ranked.

Here's to hoping!

OryoN

Is it just me or is the current salmon run hard as shit. Confined space and enemy is aggressive from the start. Haven't made it past round 2 in 3 games.

I actually found it pretty decent. I especially like the weapon loadout. Sometimes it's filled with too many short ranged and/or slow firing weapons. This round comes down to proper teamwork. I just wish I had more time to play it.

I'll say though: This map may be the toughest once things get out of control. You can't take too long to take bosses out!

Had a Salmon Run where only 3 of us were matched in the lobby. Figured the game would be nice and reduce the enemy count 'cause it failed to find a 4th, but I swear it has no mercy in that regard. Our power egg counts being 600+ apiece -- 1900+ total without a glowfly or cannon round, which is honestly better than some of the 4-man games I get -- testified to that.

What I'm trying to say is that, if you ever find yourself in a 3-man game, forget ever running an egg outside of the first 20 seconds and the last 20 seconds.

-shadow-

S+0 in Splat Zones. Feels good!

Had a Salmon Run where only 3 of us were matched in the lobby. Figured the game would be nice and reduce the enemy count 'cause it failed to find a 4th, but I swear it has no mercy in that regard. Our power egg counts being 600+ apiece -- 1900+ total without a glowfly or cannon round, which is honestly better than some of the 4-man games I get -- testified to that.

What I'm trying to say is that, if you ever find yourself in a 3-man game, forget ever running an egg outside of the first 20 seconds and the last 20 seconds.
The game reduces the amount of eggs required to pass the round with less players, but it doesn't balance the amount of salmon out unfortunately. I've had a couple of rounds in my own, which would be doable with two salmon bosses at the same time. Not six.

13ruce

Banned
Level 24 out of the 50 goal before miiverse shuts down in the first Splatoon....

Hopefully i make it i am playing Splatoon 2 and 1 now daily.

Also maining Octobrush in Splatoon 1 now lots of fun.

One thing Splatoon 1 has over 2 is the better maps and more music (and ofcourse dat final boss) but i am sure Splatoon 2 will get more music and quality maps too.

Edit: ah and ofcourse octoling armour i need dat in Splatoon 2 asap!

DrArchon

Both of those weapons should remain strong.

Funny enough, both of their specials need a good bit of tuning. Ink Armor needs ALL of its invincibility frames to go and inkjet needs some movement nerfs to enable some other weapons to take them out easier. Buff baller. Buff stingray(?)

All the rollers need the most love in this patch. Dynamo being strong again would make many matches way more interesting, both in turf and ranked.

Here's to hoping!

Baller needs a massive buff. I have no idea what you're supposed to do with it. You use it to run into enemy territory and blow yourself up (probably not killing anyone because the range is crap)? Congrats, you're in enemy territory with no easy way out. The InkJet at least shoots you back to where you came from.

I get that it's a pseudo-Kraken, and thank God it's not nearly as busted as that was (no immediate activation, not 100% invulnerable, doesn't kill people in one hit), but they gotta do something to make it worthwhile. Either make it blow up faster or make the range of the explosion better or make it so that you get knocked back when you blowup.

random25

Sting Ray needs to have the thermal sensor active all the time. It's hard to hit somebody if it's only active before you shoot. If you can be as annoying in sting Ray as the stinger in Salmon Run, it makes the special very viable.

DrArchon

Weirdest thing just happened.

Was fighting a Splaterscope player on Sturgeon Shipyard. They're pretty good (ended up going 8-1). Anyway, one time I tried to sneak up on them with Ninja Squid and they aim right at me and kill me in one hit. There was no detection used (no thermal ink, no point sensor, no haunt), and it was a clear line of my own ink from me to them that I was swimming in.

My question: Is Ninja Squid actually 100% invisibility when you're swimming, or can an attentive player see where you are if they pay close enough attention (like, say, with the zoom from a Splatterscope)? If it's not actually invisibility then I may have to rethink my reliance on it.

Phii

Banned
As someone who hasn't really tried tri-sloshers but mostly played with and against -- please don't nerf; I like weapons that have defined roles outside the otherwise projectile only meta.

Finger's crossed about reduced time it takes for brella's shield to unfold in this patch

Now then a server tickrate buff outside the patch would fresh things up, I'd be really surprised

I honestly don't find the tri-slosher or octobrush all that much of a deal to fight against. Ink Armour is worth looking at but the weapons themselves seem fine.

The only thing that I dread seeing on the opposing team is Rapid Blasters. They're not busted or anything, but no other weapon messes with me quite as badly as those, especially in a skilled individual's hands.

Edit:
Finger's crossed about reduced time it takes for brella's shield to unfold in this patch
This would make me happy :3
To be honest, they could probably do with removing or reducing the ink consumption for just holding it open continuously too OR they can keep the ink consumption as is but up the footspeed so I can shuffle into people with it more easily if they get too close :p

EmiPrime

Splatoon 2 beginner with some questions:

1. The way I play is to go to the middle and take on all comers. What are the best weapons for that? I am using the Splattershot and I don't have any problems getting around 15 kills every game but the special ability isn't great.

2. What's the general consensus re ethernet adaptors on SplatoonGAF? Googling for information on this is a nightmare for obvious reasons. I only get 1 or 2 bars on the Switch menu screen but I haven't had any disconnections.

Koren

Weirdest thing just happened.

Was fighting a Splaterscope player on Sturgeon Shipyard. They're pretty good (ended up going 8-1). Anyway, one time I tried to sneak up on them with Ninja Squid and they aim right at me and kill me in one hit. There was no detection used (no thermal ink, no point sensor, no haunt), and it was a clear line of my own ink from me to them that I was swimming in.

My question: Is Ninja Squid actually 100% invisibility when you're swimming, or can an attentive player see where you are if they pay close enough attention (like, say, with the zoom from a Splatterscope)? If it's not actually invisibility then I may have to rethink my reliance on it.
I believe it's not perfect at full speed. Though in real situations, I would say it's really hard.

GWX

I honestly don't find the tri-slosher or octobrush all that much of a deal to fight against. Ink Armour is worth looking at but the weapons themselves seem fine.

The only thing that I dread seeing on the opposing team is Rapid Blasters. They're not busted or anything, but no other weapon messes with me quite as badly as those, especially in a skilled individual's hands.

Trisloshers are so broken they're not even consistent with other sloshers. No other slosher has the same consistent damage output if a shot barely hits (the very side and front "boundaries" of a shot's effective hitbox).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So couple of days ago I spot these fine jet black running shoes on a visitor to my plaza, and for the first time in this game I decide to order another player's gear, you know, for the good looks.

So I order them, and today I decide to check my order - and, low and behold, it's a 3-sub gear with two main savers pre-equipped! Holy cow! It costs a hefty 30K which I don't have at hand, so naturally, I go and I grind like a fool for a couple of hours. When I return to pick up my ultra rare order, I'm told I have nothing ordered..

Nintendo, fix your broken shit!

Nightii

Banned
Trisloshers are so broken they're not even consistent with other sloshers. No other slosher has the same consistent damage output if a shot barely hits (the very side and front "boundaries" of a shot's effective hitbox).

Except this is wrong? regular Slosher's hitbox does the same amount of damage no matter at what point you get hit, and Sloshing Machine does the same indirect damage at any point of the AoE hitbox, with only the direct hitbox having the obviously higher damage.

Take your anger and direct it at Ink Armor, instead of spreading lies, pls.

trebbble

It’s probably not broken shit, the items you order from other players are only available until midnight the next day. By the time you finished grinding, I bet midnight had sadly come and gone.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It’s probably not broken shit, the items you order from other players are only available until midnight the next day. By the time you finished grinding, I bet midnight had sadly come and gone.
Yep, I checked back at 00:04. This rule is moronic.

Doorman

I wonder what sort of fix they can really make on ink armor without it largely just furthering the balance-tip in favor of already-popular stuff?

The easy answer that's been thrown out is usually "remove the invulnerability frames while the armor's shedding!" and that makes sense, to an extent...but I feel like if that's the fix, it's only going to perpetuate the use of the rapid-fire offensively minded weapons where adding one more shot to its ttk is the most marginal. In other words, I'm afraid that would only serve to make the Tentatek even more popular than it already is, if we assumed that nerfing armor prompted some people to get off of Jr/N-Zap/Tri-slosher at all. Removing the invul frames won't suddenly make chargers more viable, might help splatlings I guess?

The only other sensible nerf I can really think of would be not allowing it to be a global cast and instead function on an AoE, prompting teams to gather together pre-emptively for a push rather than someone just throwing out the armor and then having everyone realize it's go time. In that case, do we get some sort of visual indicator of how far the range would be? Hmmm.

MutFox

Banned
So couple of days ago I spot these fine jet black running shoes on a visitor to my plaza, and for the first time in this game I decide to order another player's gear, you know, for the good looks.

So I order them, and today I decide to check my order - and, low and behold, it's a 3-sub gear with two main savers pre-equipped! Holy cow! It costs a hefty 30K which I don't have at hand, so naturally, I go and I grind like a fool for a couple of hours. When I return to pick up my ultra rare order, I'm told I have nothing ordered..

Nintendo, fix your broken shit!

Hmmm... You go past the refresh time?
Items disappear at the refresh time.

There's a lot that's dumb about S2's balance, but Trislosher and Brush are fine as is. Maybe reduce the range / amount of splatter on the Brushes panic swings or increase ink consumption.

I was thinking the same as Doorman regarding Ink Armor becoming proximity rather than anywhere in the map. When they announced that special the first thing I said as a Bubbler user was "that's freaking busted." They should also up the requirement and increase the deduction on death on Ink Armor.

Same with Inkjet but I think it also needs something to make it more vulnerable in the air, which was the point of making it airborne to begin with. At first I thought prevent it from bobbing up and down, but that would greatly improve its accuracy resulting in more kills. So just reduce how fast it can move in the air and if we really wanted to make it mortal take away the ability to turn into a squid while using it. That's a little crazy but I'd love to see it happen just for everyone to abandon it en masse.

The Autobomb is all kinds of stupid. It follows you practically forever! Why!? You need to be able to destroy it or reduce how long it can follow you. It was created to help sniff out sharking players but it's become practically the best offensive bomb with none of the aiming that Splat and Suction use.

The Stingray though is a mess in every meaning of the word, like it would be better for everyone if it was scrapped and they brought the Wail back It needs to have constant thermal ink active, it needs a reticle, it needs to become larger or deal more damage, and move your aim faster. It should feel like you're dealing with a Salmon Run Stinger enemy, goddammit.

Goo tuber badly needs help, but I don't know what it'd need. Maybe increase the damage so it doesn't need a full charge to do a kill shot to set it apart from the other chargers in a game without Damage Up perks, maintain partial charge when swimming in ink, or greatly increase how long it can hold a charge.

Clash Blaster is still bad but at least it's "Goo Tuber tier" now with the increase painting and reduced consumption. It's not going to get much better without a damage increase thanks to its horrific kits (A sprinkler?? A mother fucking sprinkler?? Some intern or someone's kid came up with that. Probably the same one that designed the Flyfish).

Edit: Also, does the Forge not paint your feet? Fix that.

GWX

Except this is wrong? regular Slosher's hitbox does the same amount of damage no matter at what point you get hit, and Sloshing Machine does the same indirect damage at any point of the AoE hitbox, with only the direct hitbox having the obviously higher damage.

Take your anger and direct it at Ink Armor, instead of spreading lies, pls.

You are right. Sloshing Machine has AoE effect dealing half damage, both Slosher (and Trislosher) deal full damage if the shot connects. However, Trislosher's effective hitbox is so large that, when somewhere around 70% of it's max range, you can aim completely off your enemy (I'm talking ~200 pixels off your crosshair center, considering a 1080p output), and yours shots will continuously hit, consistently dealing 62 damage every time. That's why Sloshers don't feel so powerful compared to Trislohers, especially if combined with its greater fire rate.

I mean, this situation will give you consistent two-shot splats:
DI6f2FWUwAAN3nZ.jpg:large

I think the same AOE rules applied to the Sloshing Machine should hold true for the other Sloshers. No other weapons in the game are so fast and so reliable, requiring so little of proper aiming skills.

Biske

The Autobomb is all kinds of stupid. It follows you practically forever! Why!? You need to be able to destroy it or reduce how long it can follow you. It was created to help sniff out sharking players but it's become practically the best offensive bomb with none of the aiming that Splat and Suction use.

The auto bomb is ridiculous as hell. Last way, waaaaay to long before going off. If you dont play it smartly it can literally chase you off half the map, and take you totally out of the battle.

The Stingray though is a mess in every meaning of the word, like it would be better for everyone if it was scrapped and they brought the Wail back It needs to have constant thermal ink active, it needs a reticle, it needs to become larger or deal more damage, and move your aim faster. It should feel like you're dealing with a Salmon Run Stinger enemy, goddammit.
Autobombs are hilarious, but honestly they're fairly simple to deal with. You just step towards them so they stop and set their fuse then back off out of explosion range before the fuse runs out. When dealt with like that, they're basically like suction bombs, it's just that you have to counterintuitively set them off yourself by either approaching them or allowing them to get into range before running off. I don't think they need any changes in their current form personally, but my stance may very well change when they add the auto-bomb rush special :p I honestly get a good giggle out of watching people try and run away from them (and I've sometimes saved a few less informed teammates from them with my brella for fun), but solid players just set them off and get on with whatever they were doing, you can barely ever get a kill against them with them and I can't even remember the last time one killed me either. The huge pulse they send out when they land is a huge announcement that one has landed near you too, so it's easy to spot when one's coming your way.

I somewhat agree on stingray though and I loved the killer wail.

J@hranimo

Banned
Really, most of the issues of the blandness of this game's meta so far is to buff a lot of weapons so they can be good enough to check mid range shooters.

Rollers are largely irrelevant without a great amount of effort. Chargers have overall been weakened. Specific weapons like the mini splatling and Dynamo have had their main attributes weakened considerably.

Regiruler

Multiplayer feels like so much more of a slog compared to the first game. Specials don't break up the flow nearly as much.

If it wasn't for the highly improved single player I'd be disappointed.

Nightii

Banned
You are right. Sloshing Machine has AoE effect dealing half damage, both Slosher (and Trislosher) deal full damage if the shot connects. However, Trislosher's effective hitbox is so large that, when somewhere around 70% of it's max range, you can aim completely off your enemy (I'm talking ~200 pixels off your crosshair center, considering a 1080p output), and yours shots will continuously hit, consistently dealing 62 damage every time. That's why Sloshers don't feel so powerful compared to Trislohers, especially if combined with its greater fire rate.

I mean, this situation will give you consistent two-shot splats:
DI6f2FWUwAAN3nZ.jpg:large

I think the same AOE rules applied to the Sloshing Machine should hold true for the other Sloshers. No other weapons in the game are so fast and so reliable, requiring so little of proper aiming skills.
Tri-Slosher's slosh consists of three hitboxes, not just one big, wide one. The side hitboxes leave gaps between them and the main central hitbox, so if you tilt your aim a bit to the left in that pic, you will get a big fat 0 for damage. These side splashes also have shorter range, how short? comparable to the Sploosh-o-matic's, os if you are getting hit by the side splashes and killed....why are you inside their range so much? that's on the victim.

You take issue with the weapon being as overused as it is (still below the Tentatek in usage though...), but your analysis is just not correct, and it gives people a wrong impression of the skill requirements of the weapon.

It's not braindead, it's not aimless, and you need to stop dimissing people that use it and their skill and brains by saying such things, don't be toxic and misinforming, PLEASE.

Biske

Multiplayer feels like so much more of a slog compared to the first game. Specials don't break up the flow nearly as much.

If it wasn't for the highly improved single player I'd be disappointed.

I think the single player is terrible actually. This time around I just can't fucking stand it.

GWX

Tri-Slosher's slosh consists of three hitboxes, not just one big, wide one. The side hitboxes leave gaps between them and the main central hitbox, so if you tilt your aim a bit to the left in that pic, you will get a big fat 0 for damage. These side splashes also have shorter range, how short? comparable to the Sploosh-o-matic's, os if you are getting hit by the side splashes and killed....why are you inside their range so much? that's on the victim.

You take issue with the weapon being as overused as it is (still below the Tentatek in usage though...), but your analysis is just not correct, and it gives people a wrong impression of the skill requirements of the weapon.

It's not braindead, it's not aimless, and you need to stop dimissing people that use it and their skill and brains by saying such things, don't be toxic and misinforming, PLEASE.

For the bolded part: not true. There's no possible way to not hit that shot, except if you aim farther to the right. Pixel by pixel, where the leftmost hitbox ends, the mid hitbox starts.

But it's ok, I won't be what you said I am being any longer.

NathanS

It seems like the big thing chargers need is maps that aren't as flank friendly. The maps right now made to encourage people to be in the thick of it moving about and flanking Chargers obviously don't like being in the thick of it.

You could let them get off a 1 hit kill without a full charge, but that runs the risk of tilting things too far back in their favor. I think most Splatoon 1 players remember the ever present E-liters.

Nightii

Banned
For the bolded part: not true. There's no possible way to not hit that shot, except if you aim farther to the right. Pixel by pixel, where the leftmost hitbox ends, the mid hitbox starts.

But it's ok, I won't be what you said I am being any longer.

I'm not talking out of my ass here, it's right here.

DI60FeSV4AEu09C.jpg

The gap shape is also changed by RNG, so you can get some variance on the deadzone, it's not that as simple as mashing a button

Blame Ink Armor, blame the crap netcode, blame the circumstances that led to you being so inside of a Tri-Slosher's range.

Needham

I just got some weird bug where my controls were constantly turning slowly to the right. I thought it might be my controller, but the previous match was fine and once I got out of the game and quit to the main square the issue was gone. Turning left was super slow, so I just had to turn right a lot more.

Really weird. Still managed to win, I even used the constantly drifting aim to perfectly track and splat someone swimming by, so that was cool.

Doorman

I just got some weird bug where my controls were constantly turning slowly to the right. I thought it might be my controller, but the previous match was fine and once I got out of the game and quit to the main square the issue was gone. Turning left was super slow, so I just had to turn right a lot more.

Really weird. Still managed to win, I even used the constantly drifting aim to perfectly track and splat someone swimming by, so that was cool.
I've had this happen a few times, usually it means that the calibration of your controller's gyro got "stuck" and it causes some persistent drift. Not exactly ideal for a match but generally if you just set your controller onto a flat surface for a moment, it'll get itself back to normal.

Anyone have the white v-neck tee with run speed up as a main?

Sure do!

I've had this happen a few times, usually it means that the calibration of your controller's gyro got "stuck" and it causes some persistent drift. Not exactly ideal for a match but generally if you just set your controller onto a flat surface for a moment, it'll get itself back to normal.

Sure do!

Will you be on later tonight? I'll make a private room.
I'll make the room now

ss-hikaru

Baller needs a massive buff. I have no idea what you're supposed to do with it. You use it to run into enemy territory and blow yourself up (probably not killing anyone because the range is crap)? Congrats, you're in enemy territory with no easy way out. The InkJet at least shoots you back to where you came from.

I get that it's a pseudo-Kraken, and thank God it's not nearly as busted as that was (no immediate activation, not 100% invulnerable, doesn't kill people in one hit), but they gotta do something to make it worthwhile. Either make it blow up faster or make the range of the explosion better or make it so that you get knocked back when you blowup.

Yeah I mostly use it chase people away from teammates under pressure (unfortunately they usually don't take advantage of the enemies scattering and leave me to die in their place once the hamster ball pops XD) or to corner enemies that brazenly come into our base area (overkill I know but everyone seems to be able to swim through my ink so this is a surefire way to make sure I get them). I had some success using it to shield my rm-holding buddy in rainmaker too. But yeah it's not that useful, fun though :)

DodoZozo

Neo Member
I mostly get Splats with the Baller by ramming into enemies instead of blowing up on them. However, it is pretty situational. It's a lot easier to ram into slow fire rate weapons like rollers, chargers, blasters, or rainmaker holder. Baller can't really do anything against a fast fire rate weapon even with the recent 40% defense buff unless they are preoccupied, so choose your battles wisely.

Top Bottom