• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Ogodei

A patchy time with my parents' internet over the weekend pushed me back into Overachiever, so i had to work hard this evening to get back to Profreshional.

Got over the line in A+ Splat Zones too, so the end is in sight in that mode (no way will i push my luck past S).

totowhoa

Banned
Well finally at S+ 0 with everything. Onward to S+ 50! Feels good being the only player in the level 20s right now (generally). Need to start using my tickets.

I played Splatoon 1 seriously later in its days and boy howdy was it waaaaay easier to reach S+ early on in Splatoon 2 than late in Splatoon 1 lol. Like, by a lot.

Quick question! What does it mean exactly if I have the ink armor special and it shows I got kills with it at the end of a match? Couldn't google that easily.

Grexeno

Well finally at S+ 0 with everything. Onward to S+ 50! Feels good being the only player in the level 20s right now (generally). Need to start using my tickets.

I played Splatoon 1 seriously later in its days and boy howdy was it waaaaay easier to reach S+ early on in Splatoon 2 than late in Splatoon 1 lol. Like, by a lot.

Quick question! What does it mean exactly if I have the ink armor special and it shows I got kills with it at the end of a match? Couldn't google that easily.
That's how many times you activated your special.

totowhoa

Banned
That's how many times you activated your special.

Oh wow! Is it special activations for every weapon? What a weird stat to track lol. I just assumed it was kill related. They replaced death count with special activation?! Friggin Nintendo

...I really need to read the manual. I remember a lot of good knowledge was tucked away there last game.

Doorman

Oh wow! Is it special activations for every weapon? What a weird stat to track lol. I just assumed it was kill related. They replaced death count with special activation?! Friggin Nintendo

...I really need to read the manual. I remember a lot of good knowledge was tucked away there last game.

The scoreboard at the end of the game (in-game) shows you your number of splat-participations (kills plus assists), and the number of special activations. If you go back through battle-logs in the Splatnet 2 app, you can see individually your inking, kills, assists, deaths, and special uses.

I'm assuming in part they didn't want to discourage lesser players by publicly posting their death-counts in every game, but showing special activations is nice since not all weapons are necessarily kill-oriented and it can show ways that you still contributed to a game. It would have been pretty handy in Splatoon 1 to have a sense of, like, how many times someone popped echolocator, since that's something that doesn't otherwise get a lot of postgame credit.

totowhoa

Banned
Yeah I like the special activation mechanic from that angle now that I know special kills are rolled into the other stat. I had no idea assists were lumped with kills though.

I realize why they got rid of deaths (and now, a pure kill stat apparently), but I wish they'd break that out for JUST you. It's suuuuper annoying to dig those stats out of the crappy app, and it's not like I can give teammates crap with voice chat over their k:d ratio.

Ah well. Having the "best" numbers still feels good, I just wish it wasn't so opaque in-game so I could have personal benchmarks. I''m sure regulars in this thread have heard this rant enough already so I'll lay off.

Another question though: when you prestige in S+ and finally have your ink gauge shatter, do you drop to S, or just S+ minus one?

I hope it's the former actually - would add a lot of tension when you get to S+ double digits

Mistle

It's impossible to play League. It just times out and doesn't find anyone. Sometimes there's connection errors, sometimes people rapidly join and leave and it times out. Trying pairs with a friend in the same room.

Anybody else experiencing this? I can play solo online just fine, and joining friends in Turf War works like.. 70% of the time...

So annoying. I've tried some tips I've found online but they're mostly to fix normal online play, which seems functional already.

timshundo

There are not enough players. WHY did they region lock online play? Does this have to do with accommodating the lower tick rate?

I miss my japanese brethren.

Honestly, compared to the first game, Splatoon online is a mess.

DJB1JwOUIAACPJL.jpg:orig

Still no patch note.

Pila

It's impossible to play League. It just times out and doesn't find anyone. Sometimes there's connection errors, sometimes people rapidly join and leave and it times out. Trying pairs with a friend in the same room.

Anybody else experiencing this? I can play solo online just fine, and joining friends in Turf War works like.. 70% of the time...

So annoying. I've tried some tips I've found online but they're mostly to fix normal online play, which seems functional already.

I had a League session a few days ago, matchmaking was slow compared to regular turf war but it worked eventually. I wanna say we average waited 30/60 seconds between matches.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah I really hope they go back and enable worldwide matchmaking again. Initially I thought it wasn't going to be too bad, but as time has gone on even during the early hours of the morning it terribly slow. Splatoon 1's no sleep Japanese players filling up turf rooms spoiled me I guess :p

Koren

Yeah I really hope they go back and enable worldwide matchmaking again. Initially I thought it wasn't going to be too bad, but as time has gone on even during the early hours of the morning it terribly slow. Splatoon 1's no sleep Japanese players filling up turf rooms spoiled me I guess :p
Is it a US issue? Or just in league? I have no trouble finding people at pretty much any hour in EU...

DrArchon

I feel like WW matchmaking is at least enabled for Splatfests because I saw a fair number of Japanese players last time. I can understand why they don't have it enabled all the time though, especially after seeing some of those guys teleporting around the map.

I'd appreciate just improving the netcode and allowing WW matchmaking though. It's not like there's any language barriers or anything, so really it's just about latency, and if the netcode's good enough to mitigate much of that then why not?

backlot

Is it a US issue? Or just in league? I have no trouble finding people at pretty much any hour in EU...

It seems like the playerbase outside of Japan is just really small. Especially outside of peak hours. I'm on the US east coast and trying to play turf war at 6 am leads to lobbies timing out without finding 8 players fairly often. No idea what league must be like at those hours.

DrArchon

It seems like the playerbase outside of Japan is just really small. Especially outside of peak hours. I'm on the US east coast and trying to play turf war at 6 am leads to lobbies timing out without finding 8 players fairly often. No idea what league must be like at those hours.

What would you say the peak hours are? Because I play at what I would consider inopportune times now thanks to classes (lots of 10am, 1pm, etc.) and I still managed to find matches pretty quickly. Granted, I doubt any of those times are as bad as 6am, but I don't think the playerbase is as small as you think.

backlot

What would you say the peak hours are? Because I play at what I would consider inopportune times now thanks to classes (lots of 10am, 1pm, etc.) and I still managed to find matches pretty quickly. Granted, I doubt any of those times are as bad as 6am, but I don't think the playerbase is as small as you think.

Best time is probably somewhere between 5 and midnight eastern time. Matchmaking definitely gets more sluggish the longer you go past midnight and into the early morning. Not sure what time it starts to pick back up again though because I have work during those hours.

DrArchon

Best time is probably somewhere between 5 and midnight eastern time. Matchmaking definitely gets more sluggish the longer you go past midnight and into the early morning. Not sure what time it starts to pick back up again though because I have work during those hours.

Eh, too much homework to really play during then. I'll have to settle for my mid-morning and early afternoon sessions. Again though, matches seem to get filled up pretty quick, except for those 1 or 2 times when matchmaking seems to hang and nothing happens, but I just quit out and find a new match and that one always fills up quick.

backlot

Wich twitter posts this kind of stuff? i want to follow that one. Just made a Twitter acc to follow all stuff i like etc (don't want to spam my irl social media accounts with stuff like that lol).

Marina wears glasses!? Nice.

The official Japanese Splatoon twitter posted this one: https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP

American/European Splatfest art is posted on the regional official Nintendo twitters.

Koren

It seems like the playerbase outside of Japan is just really small.
Can't talk about league since I haven't anyone registered to play with, but here (France), there seems to be plently of people playing it. I've tried anytime from 6am to 3am, and I don't remember waiting more than 10-15 seconds in turf wars, ranked or salmon run... The only thing that take a bit more time is Splatfest, but that's not different from S1.

I hope it won't get worse... I'd like to be able to play with people worldwide, but seeing how the netcode is already unreliable locally...

Koren

I feel like WW matchmaking is at least enabled for Splatfests because I saw a fair number of Japanese players last time.
How could it work? Isn't the japanese splatfest at a different time? (at the very least, it was a different theme, no?)

Smeags

End game spoilers:
Was it just me, or were the Callie and Marie character models really... rough looking (almost low poly) compared to evrrything else in the game? And when they started singing... it was really poorly animated. It just stuck out like a sore thumb compared to how fluid and good the rest of the game looked.

Other than that, single player campaign was good. The new design gimmics were fun, especially grinding. Glad they implimented it in the final boss (but other than that, you cant help but compare it unfavorably to Splatoon 1's final boss. It was way too similar while being lesser in almost every way).

There werent a lot of surprises in this game (i guess Octolings will be playable next time...), and when compared to the first game's originality and freshness, it feels almost... basic (Salmon run is a great addition though!). The underlying gameplay is great, so it can always fall back on that. Splatoon as a series just feels like a big celebration... the music, the atmosphere, the community... and I was hoping that 2 would have more to celebrate (besides tumblr culture :p).

Ah well, Im gonna go and get lost playing an endless stream of turf war and salmon run, so I cant complain too much!

DrArchon

How could it work? Isn't the japanese splatfest at a different time? (at the very least, it was a different theme, no?)

I have no idea. I guess Japanese players buying US copies to play our Splatfests as well? Beats me. All I know is I saw way more people with Japanese names than I do normally, which is never.

Kalor

I have no idea. I guess Japanese players buying US copies to play our Splatfests as well? Beats me. All I know is I saw way more people with Japanese names than I do normally, which is never.

You can change your keyboard so you don't need to be from Japan to have a Japanese name.

DrArchon

You can change your keyboard so you don't need to be from Japan to have a Japanese name.

That is true. I hadn't thought of that. Thought that doesn't explain why I would only see people with Japanese names during Splatfests and not during normal play.

Perhaps something to do with choosing players for teams instead of just dumping random players into a lobby? More of those kinds of people around my skill level?

Grexeno

Just did a quick bit of Rainmaker and got to S by going 5-2 (and the 2 losses were 3v4's.) Pretty sure one of those games I carved a path through the opposing team to get the win when they had been down to 4.

Koren

9QS6fgX.jpg

Need one more chunk for my ink resistance triple.
I was wondering about effectiveness of ink resistance (used to love it when I was maining rollers, but...)

I've got my second triple (3x run on Ninja squid, after 3x main save on ink resistance). Both purely from RND, I still haven't 30 chunks of any type :/ (and I have half a dozen waiting doubles at least)

I was wondering about effectiveness of ink resistance (used to love it when I was maining rollers, but...)

I've got my second triple (3x run on Ninja squid, after 3x main save on ink resistance). Both purely from RND, I still haven't 30 chunks of any type :/ (and I have half a dozen waiting doubles at least)
Nice which ninja squid shirt? I'm trying to get triple run on this one
kcOJgcs.jpg

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

While having an ink resistance chunk or two is definitely worth it, I think people tend to give ink resistance more weight than it deserves. I'm farming chunks for main saver, ink refill and running speed, but at this rate of scrub funding I'll have those triples by 2075 : /

Koren

Nice which ninja squid shirt? I'm trying to get triple run on this one
kcOJgcs.jpg
The very same shirt ^_^

My current collection of clothes with Ninja squid:

Zekko hoodie : Ninja squid + 3x speed up
White anchor tee : Ninja squid + 2x ink resistance + refill (maybe keep it like that)
Shirt & tie : Ninja squid + 2x main saver (aim for 3x)
Camo zip hoodie : Ninja squid + 2x sub saver (aim for 3x)
Negative longcuff sweater : Ninja squid + 2x refill (aim for 3x)
Matcha down jacket : Ninja squid + 2x refill (will scrub)
Prune parashooter : Ninja squid, working on it (want 3x swim speed up)

I also have cycle king jersey, shrimp-pink polo and b-ball jersey with Ninja squid on them, but I'm not sure I'll find many more ideas for builds :D

While having an ink resistance chunk or two is definitely worth it, I think people tend to give ink resistance more weight than it deserves. I'm farming chunks for main saver, ink refill and running speed, but at this rate of scrub funding I'll have those triples by 2075 : /
Yes, that's my feeling... Aiming for main saver, ink refill and swim speed (especially with Ninja)

The very same shirt ^_^

My current collection of clothes with Ninja squid:

Zekko hoodie : Ninja squid + 3x speed up
White anchor tee : Ninja squid + 2x ink resistance + refill (maybe keep it like that)
Shirt & tie : Ninja squid + 2x main saver (aim for 3x)
Camo zip hoodie : Ninja squid + 2x sub saver (aim for 3x)
Negative longcuff sweater : Ninja squid + 2x refill (aim for 3x)
Matcha down jacket : Ninja squid + 2x refill (will scrub)
Prune parashooter : Ninja squid, working on it (want 3x swim speed up)

I also have cycle king jersey, shrimp-pink polo and b-ball jersey with Ninja squid on them, but I'm not sure I'll find many more ideas for builds :D

Yes, that's my feeling... Aiming for main saver, ink refill and swim speed (especially with Ninja)
Nice I got some of these too lol

RedFyn

If you have a set wardrobe and abilities that you want you can build much more economically by distributing your subs between the three pieces. So your shoes, shirt and hat will all have one of each of the subs you want giving you a perfect build for 90 chunks rather than the 180? you need now. Of course the downside is that you can't mix and match your gear easily.

Wich twitter posts this kind of stuff? i want to follow that one. Just made a Twitter acc to follow all stuff i like etc (don't want to spam my irl social media accounts with stuff like that lol).

Marina wears glasses!? Nice.

Depends. SplatoonJP posts all of the Japan stuff, while Nintendo's tumblr posted the Invisibility vs Flight art.

Koren

lol, and then I disconnected!
If that's a communication error, I'm pretty sure it's a ragequit from the host... That happend a bit too often to me to be just coincidence.

I would guess the netcode is unable to change the host in case the host is disconnected.

Quite a few buffs for hamster ball, makes me happy :)

Well the most important part is the reduce of knock back. Baller buffs simply shows Nintendo barely test the balance before they release the game. It got 66% buff(against some weapons) last time and 33% buff this time. That's 122% at total.

I don't really trust the current devs on balancing, these updates shouldn't took them 7 weeks. Also they admit they messed up the power system in rank since launch with this tweet?

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/905704199182139400

Top Bottom