• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

4un9jHz.jpg

Man really liking the forge but i also love the standard pro lol.

Jims

What's the likelihood of Splattershot being nerfed, I wonder? I feel like it's relatively low, as Nintendo really likes the weapon as an iconic weapon for the series. But Tri-Slosher kills Splattershots pretty well, and if they nerf Tri-Slosher and/or Ink Armor (N-Zap), wouldn't that just lead to more gravitation toward the Tentatek? Those pie graphs showed that Tentatek is already played a lot.

Although Inkjet is probably a big candidate for a nerf too. But I wonder if they should give Splattershots the Luna Blaster treatment and take away a smidge of ink efficiency. I dunno, something I was thinking about during games earlier today.

I feel like since Forge Pro and Sloshing Machine came out, there are more options now (besides Rapid or vanilla Pro) that gets rid of Tri-Sloshers reasonably safely. When Range Blaster comes out or Custom Jet Squelcher (or even the other Dualies Squelcher kit), they might be a thing as well.

Totakeke

Auto bomb is indeed super good, I feel the proper way to handle it is to immediately touch it and set it off if you're safe. Doesn't help that the other guy can just keep throwing them with the right perks though.

What's the likelihood of Splattershot being nerfed, I wonder? I feel like it's relatively low, as Nintendo really likes the weapon as an iconic weapon for the series. But Tri-Slosher kills Splattershots pretty well, and if they nerf Tri-Slosher and/or Ink Armor (N-Zap), wouldn't that just lead to more gravitation toward the Tentatek? Those pie graphs showed that Tentatek is already played a lot.

Although Inkjet is probably a big candidate for a nerf too. But I wonder if they should give Splattershots the Luna Blaster treatment and take away a smidge of ink efficiency. I dunno, something I was thinking about during games earlier today.

I feel like since Forge Pro and Sloshing Machine came out, there are more options now (besides Rapid or vanilla Pro) that gets rid of Tri-Sloshers reasonably safely. When Range Blaster comes out or Custom Jet Squelcher (or even the other Dualies Squelcher kit), they might be a thing as well.

Yeah, I doubt Nintendo is bold enough to nerf splattershot hard. It gets all the privilege since S1, and still has it in S2, making things much worse since the strength difference between good/bad sub/special is much larger in S2. Splattershot itself is already one of the best main weapon. Vanilla gets best sub and fine special while ttek gets best sub and best special. I failed to see any balancing here.

Zubz

Banned
Was this posted here? Game's been data mined some more: https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/6y4ak0/major_spoilers_even_more_information_on_upcoming/

Info on: "Upcoming gamemode
Scrapped gamemode and special weapon type
Something that cannot be described spoiler-free relating to the Octarians"

I wonder if that scrapped mode would've just been soccer with ink involved. I could see that being annoying, so I'm fine with that being gone.

Also, the male Octoling hair isn't what I expected, but I like it!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hmmm... You go past the refresh time?
Items disappear at the refresh time.
I apparently did. This 'refresh time' rule for orders is some free-to-play level of bullshit that penalizes people who don't have the spare time to dedicate to splatoon daily.

I put up with mindboggling matchmaking (see PadWarrior's shot above with the lvl2 guy's team losing the match before it even started). I put up with repeated disconnects only to come back and be told my conduct has been fishy, and I'll be penalized. I will not put up with f2p-gacha tactics, put in place because somebody thought game would be more .. whatever idiocy they thought of their stupid decision.

Spaltoon has brilliant core mechanics, but unless nintendo show they value their customer's time at least a minimal bit, I will not be paying for nintendo's online come their paywall. As simple as that.

MutFox

Banned
I apparently did. This 'refresh time' rule for orders is some free-to-play level of bullshit that penalizes people who don't have the spare time to dedicate to splatoon daily.

I put up with mindboggling matchmaking (see PadWarrior's shot above with the lvl2 guy's team losing the match before it even started). I put up with repeated disconnects only to come back and be told my conduct has been fishy, and I'll be penalized. I will not put up with f2p-gacha tactics, put in place because somebody thought game would be more .. whatever idiocy they thought of their stupid decision.

Spaltoon has brilliant core mechanics, but unless nintendo show they value their customer's time at least a minimal bit, I will not be paying for nintendo's online come their paywall. As simple as that.

The refresh time is midnight my time.
Also, you can have 3 items on hold, and the 1st item will be them you can get today or after the refresh time.

Between that and the online orders,
it's a way to have users play daily.

This Salmon Run weapon set is the shit!

21272260_145158536085048_2040528851116453171_n.jpg

And for god's sake, paint THIS wall!

21314299_145158712751697_2918560412774555921_n.jpg

It's saved me and my team from a wipe three separate games now.

blu

The refresh time is midnight my time.
Also, you can have 3 items on hold, and the 1st item will be them you can get today or after the refresh time.

Between that and the online orders,
it's a way to have users play daily.
I'm fully aware why they do it - 'force the player play daily for this amount of hours' gacha 101. I don't understand why they thought that was a good idea, and would not alienate their more mature userbase who have other things to do besides daily grinding in full-priced games.

Junahu

I'm fully aware why they do it - 'force the player play daily for this amount of hours' gacha 101. I don't understand why they thought that was a good idea, and would not alienate their more mature userbase who have other things to do besides daily grinding in full-priced games.
Ordering gear and paying for it isn't even an example of daily grind. It's actually closer to a "login bonus" in terms of how it affects the player's gaming habits. You order the gear, and now have an obligation to log in the next day.

The "Daily Grind" component of Splatoon2 is Salmon Run. It has a grindable pool of prizes that refresh every time it opens.

The day it starts the countdown for is the day you check for the item. If you order an item, don't play the next day and then check the following day it will be there until the end of that day. As for the bolded part, I personally prefer the ability to order an item from my phone and pick it up whenever I have time, than only having the option to buy from the store if you can get on the game, like almost every other game.

If you have the cash, then it takes all of four minutes to turn on the Switch, boot the game and pick it up. If you don't have the money for it then I'd recommend not checking back for the item before you have enough cash. Either way the game allows you to postpone the collection to fit around your schedule.

Sendou

I can't see Splattershot being nerfed. It only got two very small nerfs in the first game and it was similiarly very strong weapon then. It's kind of a "starter" weapon that does everything well so messing with that can hurt people picking up the game. I can see Ink Jet being nerfed (in fact I'd be surprised if they don't) so that'll double as a nerf to Splattershot as well.

Doorman

The Tentatek remained one of the strongest and most popular weapons in the first Splatoon, and the only nerfs it ever received were special related, removing the instant-activation zooka and raising the special loss, but not really touching the weapon itself. I see it going that way in this game too at this point. The ttek nerf will be an inkjet nerf, and it will likely remain the most popular weapon regardless.

I do find it unusual how the Tentatek is so universally popular, but the default Splattershot seemingly never finds its way into those league lists. It's a very strong kit in its own right, but seemingly overlooked. People think that inkjet is really just that much more powerful?

Branduil

Geez, a Goldie Rush, followed by a High Tide, followed by a Foggy Night High Tide. I don't know how we completed that shit, it felt like we drowning in green rain and missiles by the end.

Sendou

The Tentatek remained one of the strongest and most popular weapons in the first Splatoon, and the only nerfs it ever received were special related, removing the instant-activation zooka and raising the special loss, but not really touching the weapon itself. I see it going that way in this game too at this point. The ttek nerf will be an inkjet nerf, and it will likely remain the most popular weapon regardless.

I do find it unusual how the Tentatek is so universally popular, but the default Splattershot seemingly never finds its way into those league lists. It's a very strong kit in its own right, but seemingly overlooked. People think that inkjet is really just that much more powerful?

Well it did get base damage dropped from 36 to 35 but you're right in that it's largely negligible. That's most of the main weapon changes though. They are very conservative when nerfing them.

Tentatek being more popular than the default Splattershot is largely becaues of Ink Jet like you said. Ink Jet is pretty much best special after Ink Armor and Splashdown on the other hand is on the bottom end of special tier lists. It will suffer even more as people get better at punishing players using it mid-air.

Burst Bomb itself can be strong but I feel like Splat Bomb might be better for the kind of playstyle Tentatek requires. It gets you the kind of spacing B-Bombs can't.

blu

The ๖ۜBronx;247940786 said:
The day it starts the countdown for is the day you check for the item. If you order an item, don't play the next day and then check the following day it will be there until the end of that day. As for the bolded part, I personally prefer the ability to order an item from my phone and pick it up whenever I have time, than only having the option to buy from the store if you can get on the game, like almost every other game.

If you have the cash, then it takes all of four minutes to turn on the Switch, boot the game and pick it up. If you don't have the money for it then I'd recommend not checking back for the item before you have enough cash. Either way the game allows you to postpone the collection to fit around your schedule.
As I mentioned, I didn't have the cash, and the reason my order 'expired' is that I spent 4 minutes over the 'deadline' grinding for that cash.

Also, I don't see how I could postpone checking the order status if I have to check for the price of the order first, so I know if I have the funds (possible only when the order is ready for pickup).

Couple of splattershot pro and forge builds I'm working on
TCVm0dB.jpg

This is my mobility set. Goal is to get ink resistance triple on the shirt.
8gmum0z.jpg

Don't have a name for this one but I love the look. Goal is to get triple ink resistance on the shoes. This build has worked well in ranked for me.

Couple of splattershot pro and forge builds I'm working on
TCVm0dB.jpg

This is my mobility set. Goal is to get ink resistance triple on the shirt.
8gmum0z.jpg

Don't have a name for this one but I love the look. Goal is to get triple ink resistance on the shoes. This build has worked well in ranked for me.

That's pretty good.

I tried the pro for a week and didn't really like it. I might try the forge and see if I prefer this one.

I love the suction bomb, especially on the n-zap. But I think the ink consumption is just too much.

Regiruler

Well it did get base damage dropped from 36 to 35 but you're right in that it's largely negligible. That's most of the main weapon changes though. They are very conservative when nerfing them.

Tentatek being more popular than the default Splattershot is largely becaues of Ink Jet like you said. Ink Jet is pretty much best special after Ink Armor and Splashdown on the other hand is on the bottom end of special tier lists. It will suffer even more as people get better at punishing players using it mid-air.

Burst Bomb itself can be strong but I feel like Splat Bomb might be better for the kind of playstyle Tentatek requires. It gets you the kind of spacing B-Bombs can't.
Except Splashdown also gets better when you have team coordination, as you can request someone else to jump to you and use their splashdown, where it's far less likely you'll get killed in the process.

backlot

For shooters maybe. I wish the rest of the weapon nerfs were negligible.

That's pretty good.

I tried the pro for a week and didn't really like it. I might try the forge and see if I prefer this one.

I love the suction bomb, especially on the n-zap. But I think the ink consumption is just too much.
Yeah I wish suction bombs didn't eat up so much ink.

Sendou

What I'm saying is that I don't remember a nerf in Splatoon 1 to a top tier weapon that wasn't a top tier weapon after due to that nerf.

Except Splashdown also gets better when you have team coordination, as you can request someone else to jump to you and use their splashdown, where it's far less likely you'll get killed in the process.

I mean sure but again against a good player that won't work because they recognize unnatural jumps and can easily check from the UI if you have a Splashdown up. Regardless my point was that Ink Jet has the single most killing potential in the game which is the primary reason why TTK is so much more popular than Vanilla Splattershot.

DrArchon

I get that feeling as well. Burst bombs are really good with stuff like the Tri-Slosher where you can hit with a bomb and then get a quick kill with one slosh. But with the Splattershot, a Burst Bomb + a single shot isn't enough to kill a full health enemy. I'd rather have the Splat Bomb to force people out of cover/high ground. Still worse than a Suction Bomb imo, but more useful than a Burst Bomb for that kind of weapon.

It's a huge shame because the Hero Splattershot looks amazing (it's a fucking P90 in a kid's game), but the Tentatek really is better in almost every way.

This might sound like a dumb question but I only got splatoon yesterday.

Does Amiibo gear effect who you match make with? I booted up my copy, scanned my blue inkling and got the Samurai helmet. My first 5 games of regular I was playing with level 30+ players.

I later unequipped the helmet once I'd unlocked the store and mainly played with lower players.

Coincidence or does gear effect match making?

Sendou

Does Amiibo gear effect who you match make with? I booted up my copy, scanned my blue inkling and got the Samurai helmet. My first 5 games of regular I was playing with level 30+ players.

I later unequipped the helmet once I'd unlocked the store and mainly played with lower players.

Gear does not affect matchmaking.

DrArchon

Pure coincidence. Low level players will get matched with high level players all the time regardless of the gear the have. There's no regard given to level or gear when matchmaking.

I'm level 27 and routinely see sub-level 10 players. It's just how it is.

D.Lo

Matchmaking is demonstrably based on your recently displayed skill level, particularly with your equipped weapon. Not your numerical level, which is more a simple reflection of time played, not skill level.

My alt accounts on my Japanese copy are all low level, but this is what matches look like:

Also, go nuggies.

Crisium

What I'm saying is that I don't remember a nerf in Splatoon 1 to a top tier weapon that wasn't a top tier weapon after due to that nerf.

96 deco? Multiple kraken nerfs, special loss changed to heavy, splash wall nerfed, and damage reduced. Usage went down for sure.

Sendou

96 deco? Multiple kraken nerfs, special loss changed to heavy, splash wall nerfed, and damage reduced. Usage went down for sure.

Yeah but it was still easily a top tier weapon after all that. That's really all I'm trying to say. Relatively speaking it didn't really drop that much. I kind of expect same kind of thing with nerfs in this game.

random25

I had the most bizarre Salmon Run today. I thought the weapon set right now is not that good, but I'm doing good with them lol.

I also had the most saves ever. I never go beyond 8 saves, and even that was rare. 13 saves...had some bad teammates to carry sometimes.

And lastly, ever got into a random team but all of you were just in sync with each other that you almost had a perfect game together? Man, I hope to get into a lobby with these guys again.

DrArchon

Christ, seems like the only way to start learning how to use a new weapon is to get your ass kicked enough to have the matchmaking take it easy on you and pair you against worse players. If you go straight from a weapon you're familiar with to a weapon you have no experience with, you're just going to get the shit kicked out of you for multiple matches straight and there's nothing you can do about it.

At least now I know that I don't really like the Splattershot Pro or the Custom Blaster. The Custom's good on paper, but I don't like how slow it fires or how short the range is. The range is right in the shitty spot where it's not long enough to threaten longer range weapons, but too long to hit short range weapons with the blast, so unless you get godlike with direct hits (which I'll never be) you just get slaughtered by dudes that rush you in. At least the kit is better than the Normal Blaster though. Why anyone thought Poison Mist and Splashdown should be the kit for the default Blaster, I'll never know.

I'll stick with the Rapid Blaster for now. At least until we get a brand variant with a special that isn't shit-tier.

Jims

For shooters maybe. I wish the rest of the weapon nerfs were negligible.

That's really the odd thing about their initial balancing for Splatoon 2, and why I was questioning whether a Splattershot nerf should come. They changed blasters and rollers in a significant way that affect their viability. The blaster players should feel kinda slighted, as they already had movement vulnerabilities (no splatterdashing) and now are being discouraged from hopping. But a shooter like the Tentatek Splattershot, one of the top weapons in the previous game, Nintendo just mostly left alone.

If they're going to leave a good weapon alone, then they honestly just need to buff a bunch of things to bring them back up to that level again. The Splattershot is certainly not broken or anything, doesn't necessarily need a nerf on its own. It just needs more competition.

Is there some weird ass tech with a paintbrush lmao

I saw someone in a gme who was like flitting about it was really hard to hit them

Hmmm I don't think so. But I'll be honest with you, sometimes it seems like it's more difficult to hit them.

Also, I just reported two players in my team because they were doing nothing, just walking together. It is kind of frustrating.

Koren

And lastly, ever got into a random team but all of you were just in sync with each other that you almost had a perfect game together? Man, I hope to get into a lobby with these guys again.
Yes, that happens on a regular basis to me... I'm sure it's possible to break 90 (currently at 85)

Cynosure

So I finally got time to play with my Switch again and my R trigger button is noticeably worn-out compared to my L trigger. I'm certain it's because of this fucking stupid game with the shittiest online.

Top Bottom