• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER FILLED Thread for Grand Theft Auto V for IMPATIENT PEOPLE - Read Rules in OP

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That for one is true but shadows sharper on 360 is bs.

Yeah, not sure I buy the shadow sharpening.

Giving the images the old armchair graphics expert analysis, from years of tweaking on PC, the thing's I'd note are:

- They both appear to be running at the same native resolution. So yay.
- Foliage detail/pop-in is worse in the PS3 build, see here.
- General LOD distance and pop-in seems worse in the 360 build, see street lamp in the top left here.
- Shadows may be marginally better on 360, if just for pop-in. Same image above, see the bottom street lamp.
- Textures are mixed. See this shot, where the tops of the buildings are sharper on PS3, but the wood is sharper on 360.

EDIT: Corrected my PS3/360 mix-up on the street lamp LOD.

Fjordson

It´s amazing. It´s the GTA I have been waiting for since San Andreas.

Probably the GTA most of us have been waiting for.

My expectations were high - V still managed to overwhelm me.

You´re gonna love it. Everybody will.
Cool.

How do you like the characters?

I haven't spoiled too much for myself, but I did see a few exchanges between Franklin and Michael as well as Franklin and Lamar. Was impressed by what I heard, they all seem well-written.

Twinduct

Glad to see that whatever version you are getting you are not going to be left with a more terrible one.

Yeah! Although this was evident once we had direct footage of both games. Performance being pretty tight on both. Can't imagine there will be any glaring differences.

Think PS3 folks should be really happy. GTA IV was such a terrible experience for me with the performance it had.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Giving the images the old armchair graphics expert analysis, from years of tweaking on PC, the thing's I'd note are:

- General LOD distance and pop-in seems worse in the PS3 build, see street lamp in the top left here.
- Shadows may be marginally better on 360, if just for pop-in. Same image above, see the bottom street lamp.
- Textures are mixed. See this shot, where the tops of the buildings are sharper on PS3, but the wood is sharper on 360.

pop-in seems worse on PS3 you say?

PS3
2013-09-1611_48_14-gtf8jad.png

X360
2013-09-1611_48_21-gtegjb8.png

The game drops frames like crazy. Can't even drive, its like I am playing a fast slideshow of pictures.

What really? which version?

GlamFM

Banned
Cool.

How do you like the characters?

I haven't spoiled too much for myself, but I did see a few exchanges between Franklin and Michael as well as Franklin and Lamar. Was impressed by what I heard, they all seem well-written.

Haven´t encountered Trevor yet. But Franklin and Michael are great. Right now I´m mostly interested to see how Michaels storyline progresses.

However I feel safe to say: The multiple character setup works!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
pop-in seems worse on PS3 you say?

I mentioned the texture was nicer there. And the texture below it is sharper on 360. Textures seem better/worse mixed across both platforms, no real leader, maybe 360 depending on how the rest of the game shapes up.

General asset pop-in is definitely better on 360. If not just for the foliage, which is obviously sharper and more detailed on 360, but for the street lamp in the shot I linked to not rendered at all on PS3, yet rendered on 360. The 360 likely has a longer rendering distance, if marginally.

This may or may not impact pedestrian and traffic rendering. That would depend on code optimisation. It's entirely possible they're both 1:1 there.

- General LOD distance and pop-in seems worse in the PS3 build, see street lamp in the top left here.

If we have come to this we can safely that this is not another Red Dead Redemption. The differences are minuscule at best and will not even be noticeable when playing the game. The biggest annoyance with RDR was the sub-hd.

EatChildren

If we have come to this we can safely that this is not another Red Dead Redemption. The differences are minuscule at best and will not even be noticeable when playing the game. The biggest annoyance with RDR was the sub-hd.

Yeah, based on this little footage the polarity is a lot closer, and I'd attribute that to Rockstar having spent a lot of work refining their engine across both platforms. Deeper analysis will come from looking at the game in motion and checking stuff like pedestrian and traffic density and rendering distance, loading times, and overall performance, but for now they look very similar.

General asset pop-in is definitely better on 360. If not just for the foliage, which is obviously sharper and more detailed on 360, but for the street lamp in the shot I linked to not rendered at all on PS3, yet rendered on 360. The 360 likely has a longer rendering distance, if marginally.
Actually it is the other way around. Mouse over, 360 no streetlight. Mouse out, PS3 there is a streetlight.

EatChildren

Actually it is the other way around. Mouse over, 360 no streetlight. Mouse out, PS3 there is a streetlight.

Hey, you're right! Cheers. My bad.

Which is weird: lamp at the top rendered on PS3, not 360. Shadow on the bottom rendered on 360, not PS3.

- Foliage detail/pop-in is worse in the PS3 build
Clearly, this shoot (http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/41271) was taken a split second later/before the 360 version (just look at the graphic on screen), it's a bad comparison.
General LOD distance and pop-in seems worse in the PS3 build, see street lamp in the top
The same with this shoot (http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/41273). Look at the red car, it seems to be a fixed part of the scene, and shows the PS3 shoot was taken after the 360's, it could just have popped in on both. And no one would have ever noticed it :D EDIT Oh yeah :D The PS3 is one with the lamp ;)

Seriously though...this is fantastic!!! If these are the only things we have to speak about :)

GavinGT

Banned
Which version?
Kinda weird as direct footage streams didn't really show much of that at all!

I can confirm consistent framerate dips on 360 when driving fast in many parts of the city. It's definitely jarring having freshly come off playing Saint's Row 4 on PC at 60 FPS. And aliasing when driving is super distracting. There are just pixels flickering all over the place. But the game looks great when you're on foot!

Twinduct

I can confirm consistent framerate dips on 360 when driving fast in many parts of the city. It's definitely jarring having freshly come off playing Saint's Row 4 on PC at 60 FPS. And aliasing when driving is super distracting. There are just pixels flickering all over the place.

That's kinda worrying to read! Then again can't be worse than GTA 4 on PS3 and I survived that!

- General LOD distance and pop-in seems worse in the 360 build, see street lamp in the top left here.

EDIT: Corrected my PS3/360 mix-up on the street lamp LOD.

After looking at these comparisons, it's obvious it's going to take a picky bastard to see notable differences. At this point I'll take the 360 version because of it's controller and achievements. Also, party chat on Xbox Live will be king compared to PSN for GTA Online. So, graphics are probably my least concerning thing when deciding which version to buy.

GavinGT

Banned
That's kinda worrying to read! Then again can't be worse than GTA 4 on PS3 and I survived that!

I've sort of gotten used to it after a few hours. The world still looks really good, and the work that went into crafting it still shines through. But there's no way they don't release a PC version, given all the effort they put into this.

Sn4ke_911

The game drops frames like crazy. Can't even drive, its like I am playing a fast slideshow of pictures.

Where the hell is this guy now? i've seen plenty of impressions now from both version but nobody said anything like this shit.

"slideshow of pictures" are you fucking serious? you can't post something like this in here and then GTFO... get in here NOW!

GavinGT

Banned
Where the hell is this guy now? i've seen plenty of impressions now from both version but nobody said anything like this shit.

"slideshow of pictures" are you fucking serious? get in here NOW!

Wait until you play it to see if you find it that noticeable. I wouldn't quite call it a slideshow, but it's definitely an issue.

antonz

"slideshow of pictures" are you fucking serious? you can't post something like this in here and then GTFO... get in here NOW!

No offense but previews etc of a rockstar game are about as trustworthy as Obama is saying the NSA isnt spying on Americans. Rockstar controls all and if you wanna playball with rockstar you get on your knees and slobber.

He maybe exaggerating by saying its a slideshow but there are issues that for many will be quite distracting while others will accept it because its rockstar

Sn4ke_911

No offense but previews etc of a rockstar game are about as trustworthy as Obama is saying the NSA isnt spying on Americans. Rockstar controls all and if you wanna playball with rockstar you get on your knees and slobber.

I'm talking about impressions form Gaffers, people that got the game early. They said here and there might be some framerate drops but overall it's very solid.

and then a guy comes in here and says it's a "slideshow of pictures" he "can't even drive" ....wtf is this?

Fjordson

He maybe exaggerating by saying its a slideshow but there are issues that for many will be quite distracting while others will accept it because its rockstar
Previews are worthless, but we've been been able to see the game unfiltered for a few days now. There's hours of HD footage all over the place because of early copies and the online leak. I've watched a few hours in total and never seen it come close to being a "slideshow".

Maybe all these streamers got a hold of the PS4 version :lol

F!ReW!Re

I'm talking about impressions form Gaffers, people that got the game early. They said here and there might be some framerate drops but overall it's very solid.

and then a guy comes in here and says it's a "slideshow of pictures" he "can't even drive" ....wtf is this?

Not to mention that the streams we've seen here over the past few days have given us a general impression of the quality so far (for so far it's possible ofcourse).

Sure we're getting the same minor complaints from the people playing;
- Occasional fps drops during high speed car chases, busy area's and some crowded mission area's
- Some minor pop-in
- Some aliasing/tearing

But this is the first "slideshow of pictures" + "can't even drive" complaint.

I can handle a framerate similar to RDR on ps3, but if it runs like gta4.... Fuuuuuuck that, i'll play for a week, sell it, then have a serious play-through when it comes to ps4 next year.

GlamFM

Banned

Don´t listen to him.

All things considered it runs really great.

ViciousDS

Banned

it is very solid with a few noticeable drops, but slideshow? PSH, not even close...... PS3 version here.

GavinGT

Banned
https://mega.co.nz/#!EtNFFZIa!UUUWRRyNcu5YzhrgiKXgIGUaRl4cBmnvSMZgk92loWk

The above link is 360 footage of someone playing it. (free roaming - no spoilers)

Is that what it looks like?

Notice the minor hitch at 3:08-09? I've had that last for multiple seconds while driving through the city in medium traffic. And I see a minor case of it around 3:30-33. But it's really down to which part of the city you're driving in and what the traffic conditions are. It can be pretty noticeable when you're trying to weave through traffic and things slow down ever so slightly. And it might just be something you've got to feel for yourself once you get the game.

Burger

I was generally pretty blown away by this game, but when you meet Trevor? Holy shit the game really made me go wow.

GOTY

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Notice the minor hitch at 3:08-09? I've had that last for multiple seconds while driving through the city in medium traffic. But it's really down to which part of the city you're driving in and what the traffic conditions are. It can be pretty noticeable when you're trying to weave through traffic and things slow down ever so slightly. And it might just be something you've got to feel for yourself once you get the game.
are you playing fully installed?

Fjordson

I was generally pretty blown away by this game, but when you meet Trevor? Holy shit the game really made me go wow.

GOTY
About how many hours do you think it took for you to meet Trevor?

I know it'll vary wildly depending who is playing, but just curious.

ufo8mycat

Notice the minor hitch at 3:08-09? I've had that last for multiple seconds while driving through the city in medium traffic. And I see a minor case of it around 3:30-33. But it's really down to which part of the city you're driving in and what the traffic conditions are. It can be pretty noticeable when you're trying to weave through traffic and things slow down ever so slightly. And it might just be something you've got to feel for yourself once you get the game.

Appreciate the feedback

What about overall look - does it look like what it does in that video.

Burger

About how many hours do you think it took for you to meet Trevor?

I know it'll vary wildly depending who is playing, but just curious.

I tried not to rush, do a few side missions when available etc and I would say
3 hours
? Maybe more?

You could have driven to the location I'm talking about at any point, but I pretty much stuck to the City when playing as Michael / Franklin. I took a little detour up a mountain into the sticks (where the cable car is) and it was raining and I couldn't see shit.

I think it's the scenery, plus the massive change in character and the situations you are thrown in as Trevor. The game is basically saying to you, "OK you have shit pretty much down now, lets get down to business."

Top Bottom