• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER FILLED Thread for Grand Theft Auto V for IMPATIENT PEOPLE - Read Rules in OP

adversary

Banned
I wonder what's up with that. I can't wait to solve that mystery.

2013-09-1614_49_15-ra7ekcu.png

Logo at the top
is also seen during some of the cult missions

haikira

Bailing out of this thread now. Had my fill, until I grab it for myself at midnight. Cheers for all the people creating gifs, linking streams and keeping out real spoilers. Thought I'd regret hanging out in this thread, but it all went better than expected.

See you guys on the other side!

Billen

Banned
https://mega.co.nz/#!EtNFFZIa!UUUWRRyNcu5YzhrgiKXgIGUaRl4cBmnvSMZgk92loWk

After watching this, the graphical difference between this and GTA IV is kind of mind-boggling.

I assume the developers that worked on GTA V aren't the same as GTA IV?

What version was this caught on? Amazing to see this kind of graphics on such old hardware. Not amazing as in "could not be better with new HW", but looking at pop in etc is rather pleasant compared to what I was expecting. Then again it may be choppy as hell in cities.

ufo8mycat

What version was this caught on? Amazing to see this kind of graphics on such old hardware. Not amazing as in "could not be better with new HW", but looking at pop in etc is rather pleasant compared to what I was expecting. Then again it may be choppy as hell in cities.

Gbraga

My favourite little detail I've stumbled across in my 12 hours with the game so far was when I was driving through a dirt road with Trevor and came across a drug deal gone wrong.

There was this group of cars in a circle with their headlights on in the middle of nowhere. As I came closer, I could hear a horn sounding continuously, and spotted that the driver of one of the cars was slumped over the steering wheel dead. The dealers on both sides were either dead outside the cars, or lying wounded. I got out of the car and strolled around, putting down anyone who was lying there dying with a quick bullet to the head. Then I walked to the edge of the nearby cliff for a look around and noticed one more dealer clinging to life far below, with something glinting beside him. I walk the long way around to get down to where he fell and as I get closer I see that the glinting was a briefcase. I walk towards the guy and he begs me not to do it, but I kill him anyway and lift the briefcase. $25,000 inside. Nice.

I drive away on down the dirt road 5 minutes later, when suddenly 2 guys on dirt bikes are chasing me for the cash, and Trevor makes a comment on how he knew it was too easy.

Sadly, they caught me and killed me, but it was fucking awesome how that all came about just because I stopped unprompted.

This is the best thing I've read about this game so far. None of the previews talking about it like it was a movie got me excited because I never knew how it actually was gameplaywise, but this is stunning.

Billen

Banned
Wait until you play it to see if you find it that noticeable. I wouldn't quite call it a slideshow, but it's definitely an issue.

What version have you been playing, and in what situations did you experience slow downs. Also, what HW are you using, latest or earlier gen?

Edit: Sw you were running it on 360. Early 360 or later model?

jet1911

This is the best thing I've read about this game so far. None of the previews talking about it like it was a movie got me excited because I never knew how it actually was gameplaywise, but this is stunning.

I saw that happens in a stream this morning lol.

GavinGT

Banned
What version have you been playing, and in what situations did you experience slow downs. Also, what HW are you using, latest or earlier gen?

Edit: Sw you were running it on 360. Early 360 or later model?

Slim 360 (rev 1, Trinity). I was playing with the game disc installed, but I've since uninstalled it. It hasn't appeared to help the framerate any. Read my earlier posts for specifics about when it occurs.

Oh my GOD, I can finally talk about this game. I've had a copy since Thursday and I couldn't say anything. But now I can! Yay!

I have the game on PS3, ask me anything except story things.

Oh my GOD, I can finally talk about this game. I've had a copy since Thursday and I couldn't say anything. But now I can! Yay!

I have the game on PS3, ask me anything except story things.

I haven't seen this, but is there weapons and armor hidden around SA like the previous GTA's? I hope so, so I can continue my tradition of never buying weapons/armor (unless story mandatory).
Also, If you steal a vehicle and place it in a garage so its "yours". If you take it back out and get it destroyed is it gone for good?
Thanks!

Billen

Banned
Slim 360 (rev 1, Trinity). I was playing with the game disc installed, but I've since uninstalled it. It hasn't appeared to help the framerate any. Read my earlier posts for specifics about when it occurs.

Sorry for asking before I had read up on your posts, I posted during a coffee break. Thank you for being so specific in your previous posts, I really appreciate it.

qazqaNii

So, for the guys that played the game, I played 9 hours and is it only me that thinks the stock market is shit? The $$$ is way to low to make it worthwhile while a mission gives you alot.

Also them jaggies when you drive around :(. Just took my apache from the fort, and quit after that for a break.

Since most of you seem to play the game: Did anyone of you find a shop where you can buy hats? I've seen Baseball caps but no hats yet. :/

I haven't seen this, but is there weapons and armor hidden around SA like the previous GTA's? I hope so, so I can continue my tradition of never buying weapons/armor (unless story mandatory).
Also, If you steal a vehicle and place it in a garage so its "yours". If you take it back out and get it destroyed is it gone for good?
Thanks!

I think I've found armor out in the world, but no guns yet. Then again there's still areas in the boonies I've barely even touched.

I'm not sure I've been in that exact situation yet. The only cars I've fully modded have been the cars that "belong" to the main characters - i.e the ones they always have - and those return. Not sure about other cars.

performance, how is it

It's good. It's not the "buttery smooth without a hitch" or whatever BS that preview said a while back. It definitely drops below 30 when a lot is going on. I've caused it to hitch by hitting a fruit stand at 180mph. Basically, whenever a lot of physics-based stuff is happening, it's going to dip.

That being said I don't think it's ever gone below, say, 24fps during gameplay other than the fruit stand incident I mentioned. There's nothing as bad as Blighttown or anything.

EDIT - oh yeah, guy above me is definitely right about the submarine. I can't say I've noticed any screen tearing, though...

Twinduct

It's good. It's not the "buttery smooth without a hitch" or whatever BS that preview said a while back. It definitely drops below 30 when a lot is going on. I've caused it to hitch by hitting a fruit stand at 180mph. Basically, whenever a lot of physics-based stuff is happening, it's going to dip.

That being said I don't think it's ever gone below, say, 24fps during gameplay other than the fruit stand incident I mentioned. There's nothing as bad as Blighttown or anything.

EDIT - oh yeah, guy above me is definitely right about the submarine. I can't say I've noticed any screen tearing, though...

Did you ever play GTA IV on PS3?
if so, how would it compare in performance ?

Did you ever play GTA IV on PS3?
if so, how would it compare in performance ?

It's not a blurry mess, for one thing. But from what I remember of IV, it definitely runs better. I'm pretty sure V at least touches 30 some of the time, which IV didn't feel like it ever did.

Twinduct

It's not a blurry mess, for one thing. But from what I remember, it definitely runs better. I'm pretty sure V at least touches 30 some of the time, which IV didn't feel like it ever did.

yeah I mean i've been judging from the direct feed streams and it looks WAY better!
Granted it was mostly situational (aka sometimes it might have chaos going on most of the time it wasn't).

I really hope Rockstar patched in custom radio stations. I doubt they will, but man won't that just be great!

I've purposely kept myself in the dark about everything regarding this game until today in an effort to limit the potential for a torturous wait.

But now. All these gifs. All these reviews.

This will be the slowest day.

I think I've found armor out in the world, but no guns yet. Then again there's still areas in the boonies I've barely even touched.

I'm not sure I've been in that exact situation yet. The only cars I've fully modded have been the cars that "belong" to the main characters - i.e the ones they always have - and those return. Not sure about other cars.
Thanks

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I wonder what's up with that. I can't wait to solve that mystery.

2013-09-1614_49_15-ra7ekcu.png

Played the game yesterday, here's a hunch:

There are UFO parts hidden all over the map. Maybe also a dinosaur egg? There's a painted hill in the middle of nowhere (as there is one in CA, too)... also from another image posted, underwater UFO? So i'm guessing you collect all the parts, unlock a flyable UFO

oh, random encounter mission spoiler:
There's a random activist dude in favor of legalizing marijuana. You can play this mission 3 times as each different character. Each takes a few hits of weed, each has a different experience.

Let's just say, a certain white boy can't handle his weed. Aliens... get into his head.

RS4-

Thanks!

Yeah I'm still not sure about the garage thing either. I fully modded an SUV, left it in Franklin's garage. Decided to drive it around a few game days later and it wasn't there.

There is a car impound, which I recently unlocked, but I didn't see my suv either, just two recent cars I boosted. So I'm not 100% sure how the garage mechanic works and how people would feel after buying the veyron, then having it disappear lol

taylor910

Yeah I'm still not sure about the garage thing either. I fully modded an SUV, left it in Franklin's garage. Decided to drive it around a few game days later and it wasn't there.

There is a car impound, which I recently unlocked, but I didn't see my suv either, just two recent cars I boosted. So I'm not 100% sure how the garage mechanic works and how people would feel after buying the veyron, then having it disappear lol

Are the upgrades you bought now unlocked to use on other vehicles? Or do you have to pay again?

Effect

So how is the mission structure handled? Can you actually miss missions because you are messing around on another character? Do you lose access to a character for a while due to story reasons? For example say one says they have to do something but then you only have access to the other two until the third is finished doing something that simply isn't possible by playing the game. Do you miss parts of mission or the lead up to them by playing one character instead of another? Or will you see all of the lead up regardless?

RS4-

So how is the mission structure handled? Can you actually miss missions because you are messing around on another character? Do you lose access to a character for a while due to story reasons? For example say one says they have to do something but then you only have access to the other two until the third is finished doing something that simply isn't possible by playing the game. Do you miss parts of mission or the lead up to them by playing one character instead of another? Or will you see all of the lead up regardless?

I don't know if there are missable missions, random ones sure (blue dots, you'll know when your minimap flashes for a second) since you can just drive by and ignore it; you can also attempt to do it and fuck it up by pulling out your gun prematurely.

Yes, you lose access to one or two characters due to story. And yeah, you eventually do run out of missions for a particular character, and "force" you to switch just to progress the story.

It'll give you information about it; when you're swapping between characters on the HUD, there's a little number below each portrait that tells you how many missions they have available. Or you can just bring up the main map and see if there are any colored icons associated with that particular character.

watchdog

I think I'm going to wait to pick up this game until it comes out on PC. The game looks pretty great on current consoles but I'd really like to play it at a higher resolution and with better performance (provided the game is optimized appropriately). Here's hoping that a PC version comes out eventually!

Top Bottom