• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Feep

Banned
I do not want to see Junko again :(

You know, I always got the impression that voice actors knew the context of the conversation, and heard the other voice actors lines as things went on. Huh. Interesting. Odd that it all comes together pretty naturally in the end.
Usually not, but of course, even when that's true, it comes down to the basically random order-of-recording...obviously the first English VA will have no other cast members from which to draw.

The director (and in this case, Houk) were good about letting me know the emotional stakes of a line without exactly giving me what it was referring to. It's a very quick and crazy process; voice actors can VERY rarely rehearse or gain access to a script beforehand, so cold reading is one of the most important skills you can have.

THE most important: show up on time to your session

Busaiku

Seems more definitive in the ending this time, at least as far despair goes.
I guess the next game is the Future Foundation.

Usually not, but of course, even when that's true, it comes down to the basically random order-of-recording...obviously the first English VA will have no other cast members from which to draw.

The director (and in this case, Houk) were good about letting me know the emotional stakes of a line without exactly giving me what it was referring to. It's a very quick and crazy process; voice actors can VERY rarely rehearse or gain access to a script beforehand, so cold reading is one of the most important skills you can have.

THE most important: show up on time to your session

In Japanese anime, actors usually record together. In American animation, actors usually record apart.

Not sure how it's done with games, though.

Zephyx

Seems more definitive in the ending this time, at least as far despair goes.
I guess the next game is the Future Foundation.

Consent! I agree with that. All signs point to it being the main focus on the third game.
That is until Another Episode sets the tone in a different manner

Feep

Banned
In Japanese anime, actors usually record together. In American animation, actors usually record apart.

Not sure how it's done with games, though.
Original animation will have ensemble sessions if the budget is large enough. Any cartoon on a major network will do it.

In games, it's *exceedingly* rare. I'm doing it for There Came an Echo at a very significant extra cost.

Busaiku

Consent! I agree with that. All signs point to it being the main focus on the third game.
That is until Another Episode sets the tone in a different manner

Doesn't that take place between Trigger Happy Havoc and this?
I don't think it would change things much.

Rubedo

It could lay the groundwork for some things that will occur in 3.

Kinda like how the KH series had games that happened before and between the main titles that each contributed to setting up the third main game.

LX_Theo

Banned
It could lay the groundwork for some things that will occur in 3.

Kinda like how the KH series had games that happened before and between the main titles that each contributed to setting up the third main game.
I don't really want to think about the idea of Danganronpa 3 becoming like Kingdom Hearts 3

ss-hikaru

DR merchandise ordering time! It seems like the DR2OST doesn't have the full version of the ending song? Does anyone know if this was released on a separate CD of some sort?

People should post their collections of DR stuff so I can become super jealous and fall into despair :p (I'm also just interested in knowing what kinda merch is out there) Gah, why does DR have such awesome figurines >.<

Isotope

This is the extent of my DR merchandise:

BxhJ2vBIMAA4U5O.jpg:large

Just the games and a Monokuma Nendoroid.

I thought about getting this Naegi Nendo as well.

JNA

Banned
Not really. Without context, they didn't mean much (I was not privy to the rest of the conversation or anyone's lines but my own), and to be honest, it was, like, a year ago at this point.

Skinny Byakuya was sexy as fuuuuuck

Which of the two character's lines did you read first? Fat Bayakuya or Skinny Byakuya? I ask because I wanted to know if you had any sort of reaction when Fat Byakuya gets killed off and read his final lines (if you read Fat Bayakuka's lines first that is).

Zephyx

It could set some foundation or plot points in the third game. Like what Rubedo said, it's been done before so it's likely this can also happen here given the lack (?) of open points left after DR2.

tumblr_nc4glcFows1tbw5tho1_500.gif

I forgot to post this, I commissioned a friend and they drew this for me. I wanted something happy with minimaru and Akane.
Amazing. :D

Minimaru filled me with hope, and that hope payed off. Nekomaru is without a doubt my favorite DR character from either game. I really hope we see him again in the future.

Feep

Banned
Which of the two character's lines did you read first? Fat Bayakuya or Skinny Byakuya? I ask because I wanted to know if you had any sort of reaction when Fat Byakuya gets killed off and read his final lines (if you read Fat Bayakuka's lines first that is).
Yeah, I was told about the imposter thing. I read fat first.

I did ask if I should make my voice "fatter", but they said nope. (Reusing assetssss, yeah!)

Busaiku

I'm kind of disappointed at how insignificant Nagito was in the grand scheme of things.
Of course he was a huge part in each of the individual chapters, but for the overall saga, he's almost irrelevant.

Given all the media he's gotten, I would've liked for him to have a bigger role.

Rubedo

I'm kind of disappointed at how insignificant Nagito was in the grand scheme of things.
Of course he was a huge part in each of the individual chapters, but for the overall saga, he's almost irrelevant.

Given all the media he's gotten, I would've liked for him to have a bigger role.

In a way it's poetic though. He has a lot of the characteristics one would expect in a protagonist and in the fifth chapter he starts to think he's the person who can make a difference by "defeating" Ultimate Despair. But it's all for naught because they were able to find put who the traitor was. The people he wanted to kill survived and paved the way for hope their way instead of what he saw as hope (them dying).

JNA

Banned
Yeah, I was told about the imposter thing. I read fat first.

I did ask if I should make my voice "fatter", but they said nope. (Reusing assetssss, yeah!)

Awww they told you the imposter deal before hand instead of after you read the lines? Missed opportunity lol.

"Fatter" voice...how does that work may I ask? Like having a small food in the side of your mouth when you talk or something? XD

Awww they told you the imposter deal before hand instead of after you read the lines? Missed opportunity lol.

"Fatter" voice...how does that work may I ask? Like having a small food in the side of your mouth when you talk or something? XD

He was hoping for NISA to provide fried chicken for true authenticity.

Busaiku

In a way it's poetic though. He has a lot of the characteristics one would expect in a protagonist and in the fifth chapter he starts to think he's the person who can make a difference by "defeating" Ultimate Despair. But it's all for naught because they were able to find put who the traitor was. The people he wanted to kill survived and paved the way for hope their way instead of what he saw as hope (them dying).

Honestly, I wouldn't feel as bad if it weren't for Chapter 0.
There he was gushing his heart out, but then he's just told he's insignificant.
We don't even really know anything about him, like we did with most of the other characters. Of course I didn't max his social link, since I didn't expect him to die.

Rubedo

Honestly, I wouldn't feel as bad if it weren't for Chapter 0.
There he was gushing his heart out, but then he's just told he's insignificant.
We don't even really know anything about him, like we did with most of the other characters. Of course I didn't max his social link, since I didn't expect him to die.

Yeah but that sorta fits with the way Junko rolls. He spends his time thinking he's gonna be so important and a stepping stone to an ideal but in the end it was meaningless. Despair, indeed.

Feep

Banned

Larger folks tend to sound different for biological reasons.

I did enjoy the one line of the "true imposter voice" in the hallucination trial section at the very end of the game. = D

Zephyx

After finishing all of the character's FTEs and endings on Island Mode on DR2, I had better understanding how each of them has fallen to despair. I know one person already detailed his, but here are mine:

Hajime
As Izuru, he had all the talent in the world and is "created" brimming with hope. The events of the first killing game must have taken a toll on him. Or he was just bored with everything and decided to plunge into despair for the hell of it.

Akane
Her dark past makes me believe that she would do anything to "survive" for her family and for herself.

Mikan
Her FTEs give you a clue of what she's been through since childhood. The ending of Chapter 3 makes it clear as well.

Nekomaru
Nekomaru said something like this in-game: It would be the ultimate disgrace if something happens to his athlete if he was the team manager. He must have been put in a situation where his athletes are dropping like flies and he couldn't do anything to help them.

Fuyuhiko
Death of his little sister and the grievances of being born as a heir to a Yakuza family. He was exposed to a very dark environment since his childhood but he is portrayed that doesn't want any part of it.

Peko
The easy explanation would be he followed Fuyuhiko wherever he went. The harder and more fitting one, imo, is that she failed to protect her master. Or Fuyuhiko's "hate" for her (that's what she sees on her end) was manipulated into something else.

Kazuichi
Experienced a rough childhood. Felt unappreciated by most people around him. Show him a little appreciation and some curves and he's yours.

Gundham
Lonely through and through with animals as his only companions. Death of his hamsters must have devastated him.

Ibuki
Going solo must be rough for her. Her FTEs with Hajime implies she is having difficulties being alone. Her music choice also wasn't exactly among the popular genre so she must have been hit hard when very few listens and enjoys it.

Nagito
His overzealous desire for hope led him to despair. Wanting to see the ultimate hope combat and triumph against the ultimate despair, he firmly believes he has to be the one to make that happen.

Sonia
The pressure of being a princess and wanting to do things like a regular girl is enough to break apart even a tough girl like her. She also seemed to have a rough past given the kidnappings and the culture in her country. In one of her Island Mode events, I took her to the Military Base and talked to her something about weapons.. She didn't like the idea and she said she is tired of it in an exasperated manner. Must be rough for her if she can say things like that.
If she was only more like Garnet.. Someday I'll be queen, but I'll always be myself.

Mahiru
Murder of her friend and the guilt of covering up a crime for her must have eaten her subconsciously. She also used her talent for purposes she did not intend to.

Hiyoko
The pressure of upholding a family tradition and being away from your family is not that easy to handle. Especially if the person she is away from is the only person that treats her well.

Teruteru
Collapse of his diner or mother or both. If he can kill Byakuya for any information about his mother, imaging what he would do if his mother dies.,,?

Impostor
Identity crisis. He/she exists but not exists at the same time.

JNA

Banned
He was hoping for NISA to provide fried chicken for true authenticity.

Lmao! XD

Larger folks tend to sound different for biological reasons.

I did enjoy the one line of the "true imposter voice" in the hallucination trial section at the very end of the game. = D

Yeah I figured.

I know I thought that was hilarious when I heard his real voice. XD Sorry if it's a stupid question but was that voice also you or did someone else do that?

Ondore

This might be a really silly question... but what's the fastest way to get a clip of Monokuma's "Puhuhuhu~" from the dub?

FluxWaveZ

Might be weird, but I really enjoy it when Monokuma appropriately does his stock "Disgusting" or "How strange..." audio clips. He did that more in DR1 than DR2, though, which was a bummer.

Here's a very neat thing I learned after doing a bit of poking around the interwebs......
Remember that game from the Second Chapter, Twilight Syndrome: Murder Case
It's actually a reference to Twilight Syndrome, a PS1 game series developed by Human Entertainment, who had members of Spike before they formed their own company after Human went defunct. Along with Suda 51 being the Director and Writer of the first three games. And the game in DR2 does use a lot of visual style from Twilight Syndrome in it's own game, like the EKG bar, it being in a side-scroller perspective, and the like.
It's interesting since this is from the same company that made Clock Tower, a cult classic among fans of survival horror.

Busaiku

Is there anything in the game as to who would have so much despair as to resort to necrophilia.
Seriously, Junko's got nothing on that.

Labrys

I personally really dislike that line, because it implies something that wasn't there in the original text. It was an extremely loose translation.

Rubedo

I personally really dislike that line, because it implies something that wasn't there in the original text. It was an extremely loose translation.

I prefer the English version of that line to the original. It's more potent and fucked up. Makes you even more disturbed about the whole thing and I almost reacted just like Hajime did to that line.

FluxWaveZ

Then how do you explain the image associated with that line in the original release, which demonstrates what the English line is saying more than what the original Japanese line supposedly says? Both actions could have been performed, and it would result in the same thing. Plus, the English version does a better job conveying how twisted the Ultimate Despair is than the original, which was the intent of when that dialogue occurred.

Busaiku

Well, I mean, in English, they never specifically state outright what they do, just that they tried to reproduce with Junko (who was dead).
I only interpreted it as them doing the real nasty, but it's never more specific than that.

Phamit

I think both is really fucked up.

But I think the english version seems more...realistic? And works better with the picture

The japanese versions seems a bit more complicated operation.

But well, in the end both versions implies, that the ultimate Despairs went back to Hopes Peak after the 6 survivors of the school killing left and descerate junkos corpse

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
But well, in the end both versions implies, that the ultimate Despairs went back to Hopes Peak after the 6 survivors of the school killing left and descerate her corpse

Now that I think about it, how did they even get much out of her? She got smooshed but Nagito found her hand in tact, I guess? And whoever used her eye for his own.

Rubedo

I think both is really fucked up.

But I think the english version seems more...realistic? And works better with the picture

The japanese versions seems a bit more complicated operation.

But well, in the end both versions implies, that the ultimate Despairs went back to Hopes Peak after the 6 survivors of the school killing left and desecrate junkos corpse

The real question that isn't answered by either version is how they did that when Junko was obviously crushed and splattered.

Now that I think about it, how did they even get much out of her? She got smooshed but Nagito found her hand in tact, I guess? And whoever used her eye for his own.

One thing to note is that the Ultimate Despairs probably weren't in the best state of mind at that time.

It's hard to say if they even used Junko's body or something they thought was Junko.

Labrys

Then how do you explain the image associated with that line in the original release, which demonstrates what the English line is saying more than what the original Japanese line supposedly says? Both actions could have been performed, and it would result in the same thing. Plus, the English version does a better job conveying how twisted the Ultimate Despair is than the original, which was the intent of when that dialogue occurred.

I honestly never saw that in the image? You just see a (presumed) man with his mouth open and blood on a wall, I never took that as fucking a corpse, especially when it meant to imply harvesting of sex organs.

Yes, the ultimate despair are fucked up, but I feel shoehorning in something as gross as necrophilia when it wasn't meant to be there in the first place is kinda off color. I dunno.

Some Guy in the OT said:
Chapter 5 spoilers.... and the worst thing is,.... I've only arrived to the murder scene yet... ugh

Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed. Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... NagitO gOt killed.... NagitO gOt killed.... NagITO GOT KILled.... NagITO GOT KILled.... NagITO GOT KILled... NAGITO GOT KILLED... NAGITO GOT KILLED....

A-and....that was probably the most painful way to be killed by someone between the two game so far... and..... S-sonia probably did it.... she didn't enter with the rest of the group since she had to something..... she knew the "bomb" were fireworks.... she proposed using things that didn't take out the fire....she probably is the traitor.....

I will leave the game there until tomorrow.... I think.....

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! I can't wait to see this guy's reaction to the truth. Gonna blow his mind.

(Original username removed to prevent this post from appearing in his searches)

I honestly never saw that in the image? You just see a (presumed) man with his mouth open and blood on a wall, I never took that as fucking a corpse, especially when it meant to imply harvesting of sex organs.

Yes, the ultimate despair are fucked up, but I feel shoehorning in something as gross as necrophilia when it wasn't meant to be there in the first place is kinda off color. I dunno.

I'm not sure if harvesting organs is any less "shoehorning in" as far as fucked up stuff goes. Even with necrophilia (whether it's supposed to be in there or not), they drew a line as far as implying how deranged Ultimate Despair is goes. They could have essentially turned them into walking Aristocrats jokes by making them baby raping cannibal mass murderers, but instead Kodaka just wants to let the audience's imaginations run wild with just what kind of despair they caused.

I don't know if it's your doing or not, but I appreciate that you had significantly fewer lines that were obviously emphasized incorrectly for their role in the game than most of the other characters.

Just the games and a Monokuma Nendoroid.

Why would anyone want to have a Monokuma in their house? wtf is wrong with u

Wazzy

Banned

We're talking about a group that sacrificed their families to be tortured, starved themselves, mutilated their body and murdered countless people.

Top Bottom