• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altima

Yes but this is Star Wars, and some indication of joy is part of the experience. Theater I was in cheered at the start, and then clapped at the end.

Having no reaction just feels....I dunno.

I do think it can get out of hand of course, I'm glad everyone didn't start cheering when Han came on.

In my country we never clap at the movie but we do clap at musical.

AAAAAAAAAaaaaand DONE.

Whoof.

Just put my last episode of Full of Sith to bed. Had to record/produce it. Just over 2 hours long (which is our longest episode ever)

Fed.nl got a shoutout for his Kenobi catches, too.

Also - I heard Max Landis said something stupid on twitter and people began to realize they probably shouldn't be following him anymore. It happens to most people who follow Max Landis for longer than five minutes, I believe.

BB8 thumbs up gif

What? No. You don't have to clap during a movie. whats the point? You can enjoy a movie without clapping at a movie, which cannot clap back. So it's more stupid.

That's like saying you don't clap when your favourite team gets a goal or makes a basket. Or clap after a scene of a live theater.
I'm more just clap if you like it, but don't feel obligated to do so.

Just watched it. Was really disappointed. I went in completely spoiler free, without having watched any of the trailers and avoided all discussion. All I knew was that there was a round droid and that Mark Hamill had lost weight. The movie wasn't horrible, but it fell far short of what I had hoped and imagined.

- just a copy of the original
- riddled with are stupid snarky jokes that we millennials are supposed to love
- everyone leveled up without any grinding
- han's death seemed out of character

Overall, it felt like they didn't take it seriously.

I appreciated some of the more subtle references and humor, but can't really remember exactly what they were. Poe's kill streak in the X-Wing at the rescue was awesome though.

edit: they clapped at the end in my theater too

Maybe that's why. Sometimes trailers helps balance the hype out and you kinda know what to expect. Going in blind sets you up to be overly hyped imo.

That part made me laugh a lot lol, it's sorta true too.

That's just cold...

Jarmel

Banned
I mean...he's a fairly typical kid who turns out to have always been a secret wizard, wildly more powerful than his Muggle peers, chosen since birth to be the true hero who will save the world, who's naturally gifted at playing the only important role on the dumbest sport ever invented. Also he's wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice and gets given incredibly powerful, literally unique artifacts by secret benefactors. None of this is ever earned even a little bit. And this is all before the romance plotlines!

Like, what exactly does Mary Sue mean to you if Harry Potter isn't one?

That initial description is typical 'Chosen One' stuff. Not to mention his wealth causes issues with Ron down the road.

He literally suffers childhood abuse from the Dursleys. His fame causes tons of issues at school. He gets bullied by Snape because of his family. He's a fairly mediocre student in the early books and only excels in a limited number of fields in the later books.

He fucks up a lot in the books. Hell the entire fifth book was him getting tricked by Voldemort.

I just got back from a screening of it, and I thought it was a pretty great movie. Yes I didn't get every wink and nod and understand why the whole audience laughed at certain scenes, but it did not really affect my enjoyment of it. I tried watching episode 4 yesterday but I didn't get through it.

And I feel like (even though all the old movies are worth watching) I don't need to watch the old ones. I enjoyed Star Wars 7 as simply a new movie, regardless of previous installments.
I was a little upset in the beginning to have (thought) seen that they killed off the pilot character, I liked the relationship he was starting with "Finn". and was pleasantly surprised to see he survived and popped up later on in the movie.

the little orange alien woman was cute and probably my favorite character.

Like I said, I'm not a veteran of the star wars films like most, so it didn't strike a cord with me that hans solo died, but I was still like, whoa - where are they gonna go next with his son? is he gonna die? then he had a faceoff but survived. nice.

who was the big giant evil alien? was he a new character?

and towards the end of the movie, like, what ended up being the last few minutes, I was thinking to myself, damn...this whole movie is about finding luke skywalker so if they end it, it'll be such an unsatisfying cliffhanger for me. but then...he did show up. and despite it being practically a cameo, it was great. great ending, great movie.

GhaleonEB

I still feel her arc is too much and too fast in this film especially in contrast with the OT. I guess that's what to be expected nowadays in that you can't have your protagonist only do cool shit in third film.

Luke does "cool shit" in the first film.

The only scene I felt was a stretch was manipulating the trooper into letting her out; it was plot development by way of a callback and should have been done another way. But otherwise...I think everything she did fell right in line with an entirely reasonable arc. A bit compressed, sure. But then she was tested in a way Luke never was so early, and she pusher herself further as a result.

And I really think having a force user on hand to show her what she might be capable of is critical here. Luke saw Obi-wan block a blaster shot in the cantina. The first thing Obi-wan trains Luke to do is....block a laser shot (while blind!). And he successfully does it - almost right away! He knew it could be done because he'd seen it done. Aside from the mind controlling bit (which she kind of did get a taste of from Kylo), everything Rey does came from watching what Kylo was doing, and applying it. It's not like she became this raging jedi by the end.

At any rate, I've see it three times now (don't ask). I think Rey's arc is probably one of the best aspects of the story. I honestly find the complaints about it rather baffling.

JTripper

and towards the end of the movie, like, what ended up being the last few minutes, I was thinking to myself, damn...this whole movie is about finding luke skywalker so if they end it, it'll be such an unsatisfying cliffhanger for me. but then...he did show up. and despite it being practically a cameo, it was great. great ending, great movie.

I liked that too. I love the simplicity of the first line of the opening crawl being "Luke Skywalker has vanished" and the final shot of the movie to be the main character finding him.

BTM

The only scene I felt was a stretch was manipulating the trooper into letting her out; it was plot development by way of a callback and should have been done another way. But otherwise...I think everything she did fell right in line with an entirely reasonable arc. A bit compressed, sure. But then she was tested in a way Luke never was so early, and she pusher herself further as a result.

And I really think having a force user on hand to show her what she might be capable of is critical here. Luke saw Obi-wan block a blaster shot in the cantina. The first thing Obi-wan trains Luke to do is....block a laser shot (while blind!). He knew it could be done because he'd seen it done. Aside from the mind controlling bit (which she kind of did get a taste of from Kylo), everything Rey does came from watching what Kylo was doing, and applying it. It's not like she became this raging jedi by the end.

At any rate, I've see it three times now (don't ask). I think Rey's arc is probably one of the best aspects of the story. I honestly find the complaints about it rather baffling.

Yep this is basically my thoughts as well.

Seeing it again, it kind bothers me that Finn is kind of useless and just there to be saved or make others look good. Gets his ass kicked constantly, "Look for cover", "My guns can't move (paraphrased)", "That's one hell of pilot", can you unfix the poison gas leak which would have been a good plan except for Han to show up, gets dragged around by a tentacle monster, just a joke trying to fix chewie up while Rey and Han get to be cool pilots, gets saved by Han against the riot trooper, Also that sanitation thing just being setup for the compactor reference is super lame.

Dalek

BB-8 is such a perfect thing. The look of desperation he had when trying to decide if he should tell the truth to Rey or tell Finn's version was adorable.

injurai

Banned
Also - I heard Max Landis said something stupid on twitter and people began to realize they probably shouldn't be following him anymore. It happens to most people who follow Max Landis for longer than five minutes, I believe.

I swear, too many people are trying to become the second coming of plinkett. Really fucking annoying. Because some legitimate criticism of TFA are completely ignored in favor of brain dead attacks on every uncontextualized detail.

Just watched it. Was really disappointed. I went in completely spoiler free, without having watched any of the trailers and avoided all discussion. All I knew was that there was a round droid and that Mark Hamill had lost weight. The movie wasn't horrible, but it fell far short of what I had hoped and imagined.

- just a copy of the original
- riddled with are stupid snarky jokes that we millennials are supposed to love
- everyone leveled up without any grinding
- han's death seemed out of character

Overall, it felt like they didn't take it seriously.

I appreciated some of the more subtle references and humor, but can't really remember exactly what they were. Poe's kill streak in the X-Wing at the rescue was awesome though.

edit: they clapped at the end in my theater too

This seems like criticism for a new episode of dbz.

Also not sure how Han dying has to do with anyone's characteristics. It looks like you had expectations of something more than Star Wars, and the film clearly harkened back to ANH as a template, but made a film that has its own thematic undertones. Also no millennial jokes I can find in the film.

(Also completely separate from me replying to Fury Sense.)
I'm actually having a lot of fun discussing the film, flaws and all (especially with Bobby and Jett), but the film is being nit picked through its logic not colliding with how people wanted the film to behave, rather then the film being judge on its merit as just a film. Actually discussing the movie in this thread sometimes is like reading why people wants no references to previous movies or similarities but somehow expect it to be Star Wars.

Does anybody else think the clone-trooper mention was placed there to show the audience that's where Snoke/Kylo will go to because the majority of their military has now been destroyed and that they will need to rebuild quickly?

I think we will see this in Ep8.

JTripper

Seeing it again, it kind bothers me that Finn is kind of useless and just there to be saved or make others look good. Gets his ass kicked constantly, "Look for cover", "My guns can't move (paraphrased)", "That's one hell of pilot", can you unfix the poison gas leak which would have been a good plan except for Han to show up, gets dragged around by a tentacle monster, just a joke trying to fix chewie up while Rey and Han get to be cool pilots, gets saved by Han against the riot trooper, Also that sanitation thing just being setup for the compactor reference is super lame.

About as useful as a Stormtrooper should be. His personality is what made his character work for me.

I liked that too. I love the simplicity of the first line of the opening crawl being "Luke Skywalker has vanished" and the final shot of the movie to be the main character finding him.

Honestly I think they handled Han, Luke, and Leia perfectly.

Luke is basically the driving force of the film but never appears until the ending. That frees up Han to basically be the star for the only film of the new trilogy anyone really expected him to do. And the whole relationship of Han/Kylo continues to keep Luke in mind.

Leia was used appropriately as well and had pretty much the perfect amount of screen time for her role and I expect her to have about as much in Episode 8 and maybe 9.

With Han as the only one of the three to have significant screentime that left plenty of time introduce lots of new characters and give them their due.

It's really perfect- it gave Han is time in the light without marginalizing Luke at all.

Mariolee

Opening crawl sure beats "The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute."

novelization says it was a thumbs up if that makes you feel better ;)

R2 would have done the finger. BB is like a little puppy, so it was definitely a thumbs up.

Yay! It does. I couldn't imagine BB8 giving the finger, after seeing his sad reaction to when he thought his owner died I didn't think he could be like that. R2 would have just shocked him some more :p. R2 is such a badass I love him so much. BB8 is such a cute little droid and his sad noises remind me of this

yeah, it was dope. they could've had him continue to add to the plot, but the 2 and a half hour adventure was great as it was.

Ha.

CmFYaVQ.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Luke does "cool shit" in the first film.

And I really think having a force user on hand to show her what she might be capable of is critical here. Luke saw Obi-wan block a blaster shot in the cantina. The first thing Obi-wan trains Luke to do is....block a laser shot (while blind!). And he successfully does it - almost right away! He knew it could be done because he'd seen it done. Aside from the mind controlling bit (which she kind of did get a taste of from Kylo), everything Rey does came from watching what Kylo was doing, and applying it. It's not like she became this raging jedi by the end.

If they ripped out the mind control scene (which was used by Abrams for the usual nostalgia jokes) and somewhat reworked the interrogation scene, I would probably feel much more comfortable with Rey's stuff.

The whole middle section just feels wonky.

Fury Sense

You're allowed to not like it of course, but that is just an absurd statement.
Haha. Well, I mean that the originals were so severe. This was all fun and jokes. Sure the studio worked hard and made a great film, but it felt like nothing mattered.
I don't even know what points 2 and 4 are trying to say here no offense. What exactly is a millennial joke? How is dying out of character for any character?

Points 1 and 3 are fair enough. I personally don't mind the symmetry in story line. I think it was exactly what Star Wars needed, and the personalities of the new main 4 are different enough that the storyline can now go anywhere over the next two films.
- Do you talk first or do I?
- So it's just like the Death Star -- Bigger
- probably other stuff I forget

And Han is a survivor, he always gets into danger and weasels his way out. I suppose a lot has happened since we last saw him, but I wouldn't expect him to sacrifice himself like that. He believed Kylo was too far gone. He knew the danger. He could only have exposed himself like that for Leia, but there was no need to put it all on the line then and there.

Does anybody else think the clone-trooper mention was placed there to show the audience that's where Snoke/Kylo will go to because the majority of their military has now been destroyed and that they will need to rebuild quickly?

I think we will see this in Ep8.

No way. They will stay far away from the prequels. The mention was intended for the opposite "nope- our Stormtroopers are flesh and blood, just like the OT".

Highly doubtful it's most of their military. They govern an entire "province" or whatever you want to call that section of the galaxy. A fascist regime isn't going to keep control without a pretty strong military presence in their systems.

That why he hasn't tried the Chewia bowcaster for 30 years.
Is it possible chewies bowcaster got an upgrade?

It was never that powerful in the OT.

Having turned to smuggling again after his son took off, maybe they havent had many ground battles. Perhaps this was his first real look in a long ass time (because of relatively peace for 3 decades) of how powerful a weapon chewie had or since upgraded. Being back in action, after all this time, seeing how powerful chewies weapon was brought up some good feelings for an old man.

Mariolee

The freighter is probably the low point of the film.

I loved the Freighter scene. Not only because I believe it was The Raid guys who were one of the gangs. It was also the scene where we got to see that old Han Solo charm for the first time in the movie.

this was a big bucket of meh.

so many leaps of logic.

so many coincidences.

cheesy writing.

also how can the main bad dude job to an untrained little girl?

The freighter is probably the low point of the film.

Why would they hire the guys from Raid and not make them do anything. Those guys would be like the prime candidates for lightsaber fights or wielding weapons like that one stormtrooper that fought Finn (I loved how weighty that weapon looked and how it rotated). It's just unfortunate if they are stuck as Club guys (I forgot the name) with no action scenes if they come back in sequels.

I just hope Donnie Yen gets to do some work in Rogue One, I'm really worried they will give him the Blade 2 treatment...

Dalek

I loved the Freighter scene. Not only because I believe it was The Raid guys who were one of the gangs. It was also the scene where we got to see that old Han Solo charm for the first time in the movie.

I loved that scene too-I don't know what people are talking about. It was so fun.

so many leaps of logic.

so many coincidences.

cheesy writing.

First time to a Star Wars movie, then?

It was fine in concept- it's not really dissimilar to the idea behind the Wampa , Asteroid monster, and swamp monster in Empire or the Rancor in Jedi. The execution was lacking. I think it mainly came down to monster design and the fight went on too long.

so many leaps of logic.

so many coincidences.

cheesy writing.

Ah, another first time Star Wars watcher!

so many leaps of logic.

so many coincidences.

cheesy writing.

Do we feel like Rian Johnson's film is really going to continue the focus of these characters cohesively, or bring in even more new blood and go in his own direction? I know he's bringing in Benicio Del Toro as a villain, I'm not sure how I feel about it... That means no Phasma reemergence or are we really going to ensemble this with Kylo, Hux, Phasma, Snoke, and Benicio?

Loved what 7 set in motion do I just hope it gives more screen time to Poe and Finn and wrap up Leia and not just fracture the story more

I expect the plot will split- Luke and Rey focusing on the Force side of things (which is where Ren will probably show up and maybe Snoke) and Finn and Poe focusing on the military part of the First Order. I expect that's where there will be room for Hux, Phasma, and maybe Benecio.

Or Benecio could represent a third interest and may be something to do with whatever Luke has found at this temple.

Why would they hire the guys from Raid and not make them do anything. Those guys would be like the prime candidates for lightsaber fights or wielding weapons like that one stormtrooper that fought Finn (I loved how weighty that weapon looked and how it rotated). It's just unfortunate if they are stuck as Club guys (I forgot the name) with no action scenes if they come back in sequels.

pretty sure baton trooper was one, and we'll see them be in most of the fight scenes as masked dudes. The pirates I think were more of a nod to them, giving them a non action part.

so many leaps of logic.

so many coincidences.

cheesy writing.

idk shit about star wars but i'm thinking the fact that the bad dude just killed his father may have hit him emotionally harder than he expected and that distracted him during the fight.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Do we feel like Rian Johnson's film is really going to continue the focus of these characters cohesively, or bring in even more new blood and go in his own direction? I know he's bringing in Benicio Del Toro as a villain, I'm not sure how I feel about it... That means no Phasma reemergence or are we really going to ensemble this with Kylo, Hux, Phasma, Snoke, and Benicio?

Loved what 7 set in motion do I just hope it gives more screen time to Poe and Finn and wrap up Leia and not just fracture the story more

GhaleonEB

His relative haplessness at times was amusing. But he also enables the entire story to advance: Finn rescues Poe, fends off tie fighters and missiles as a gunner on two ships he's never been in before, was the idea man for taking the shields down at the end, and while he lost to Kylo (as he should) he also lasted reasonably long and got one good whack in (which helped Daisy defeat him).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom