• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
I don't buy that for a second. She was pretty eager to use that mind trick and seemed to fare pretty well when reminded of the force in her lightsaber battle. If anything, her "fear of the force" was only because she had a scary vision, to which Mas Kanada explained wtf the force is to her and Rey was just like "oh ok that's actually cool"

Both of those instances are tied directly into her survival instinct, though.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Movie was great.

Rey seemed OP and borderline Mary Sue-ish. She kind of fills the roll of Luke, Han, and Leia all in one.

Scene between Leia and Han felt kinda awkward.

Everything else was great and exceeded my expectations.

GhaleonEB

So did Luke and he barely knew how to hold a lightsaber let alone get out of a simple bar fight in ANH...

Luke was a moisture farmer raised in relative comfort by his aunt and uncle. Rey grew up fending for herself as a scavenger, fighting every day to stay alive, learning the skills and abilities she need to along the way.

Luke was a naive, cocky kid going out on his own for the first time in Star Wars. Rey has been on her own most of her life. She can handle herself because if she couldn't, she'd be dead.

As an aside, Luke blocked a laser blast while blind on his first training session. Without further training he disabled his targeting computer and fired from sight/touch a pinpoint shot at the end of the film, guided by the force. Daisy was put in situations where 1) she was seeing what a force user was capable of, and 2) testing herself 3) because if she didn't she was dead. Luke wasn't really put in those situations until after he'd had at least some training. (I think it's also implied that she's a more naturally gifted force user.)

Her arc is fine.

foxtrot3d

Banned
So did everyone's audience clap at EVERYTHING?

Classic character shows up? Clap.

Big action scene? Clap.

No, my audience reacted to things exactly the way I felt.

Clap at classic OT call backs and characters early on, less claps as they kept coming.
Clap at Millennium Falcon reveal.
A kind of "ugh" at Death Star 3.0 reveal.
Audible groans as Death Star 3.0 plans are revealed and they start talking about a weak point.
Silence as Han Solo dies.
Some claps, some "meh" looks at the end.

Luke was a moisture farmer raised in relative comfort by his aunt and uncle. Rey grew up fending for herself as a scavenger, fighting every day to stay alive, learning the skills and abilities she need to along the way.

Luke was a naive, cocky kid going out on his own for the first time in Star Wars. Rey has been on her own most of her life. She can handle herself because if she couldn't, she'd be dead.

As an aside, Luke blocked a laser blast while blind on his first training session. Without further training he disabled his targeting computer and fired from sight/touch a pinpoint shot at the end of the film, guided by the force. Daisy was put in situations where 1) she was seeing what a force user was capable of, and 2) testing herself 3) because if she didn't she was dead. Luke wasn't really put in those situations until after he'd had at least some training. (I think it's also implied that she's a more naturally gifted force user.)

Her arc is fine.

Read my posts after that one and you see I've addressed all those points you've brought up already.

meanspartan

Her arc is fine.

Thank you, what I said above but with more examples and better written haha.

jackal27

Banned
Using the Bowcaster wasn't just a "laugh here" moment. It was also to set up Ren getting shot by it at the end. Supposed to show that he was in a weakened state and also absurdly strong. He just took a direct gut(?) shot from a gun that kills almost everything from hitting near it.

I also don't want us to forget the fact that the whole point of the weird baton wielding storm trooper showing up was to show us that storm troopers like Finn are trained in Melee combat. He's not magically good at using a lightsaber. He's trained in combat.

Also, when Kylo fights Rey, he's already been injured by an explosive shot and multiple wounds from Finn. And he STILL has the upper hand on Rey until she chills out and uses the force.

Sojgat

Maybe he had been asking to use it for the past 30 years, and Chewie finally decided FINE JUST SHUT UP ALREADY.

What is fun and how does entertainment work?

It was an amusing bit that added some freshness to their familiar dynamic. Don't overthink it.

Using the Bowcaster wasn't just a "laugh here" moment. It was also to set up Ren getting shot by it at the end. Supposed to show that he was in a weakened state and also absurdly strong. He just took a direct gut(?) shot from a gun that kills almost everything from hitting near it.

It's still dumb.

It probably would've been fine as a one-off thing, but they turned it into a running gag.

I have no clue what type of arc Rey with through the this film.
She starts out a lonely waiting for her family and then someone tells here "you know they're not come back,right"
and that's the end of that. She seems to accept that by not going back to jakku at the end but we never see her make that decision. To accept that her family is dead or never coming back. She then goes off to find Luke for what reason? Because she has force now? You would think Leia would want to see her brother or something.

Also, all the people calling Rey a Mary Sue: are you overlooking the fact that she seems terrified of the Force, of accepting her apparent destiny? I mean, the final shot is her trying to hand Luke the lightsaber, fear in her eyes, as if she's asking him to fight in her place.

Kind of a big character flaw for the protagonist.
Terrified of what? The power of it? Risking her life?

Another thing I found silly was how Kylo, while reading Rey's mind, discovered she saw Han Solo aa a father figure. Gurl, you've only known the guy for a couple of hours and I didn't see anithing on screen that indicated that prior tp that scene.

She lived most of her life without any parents. She was left to imagine a better life almost everyday. Running into the legendary smuggler war hero that she had heard about for years was a big moment in her mundane boring life. The fact that she could keep up with him mentally, with her technical knowhow, and the fact she even earned his respect was probably the first time in her life she ever received that kind of praise from an older human male. How could she not imagine him as a father figure.

If an actress or actor you idolized showed up on your doorstep and you hit it off so well that you are finishing each others sentences and saving each others lives, you would have an instant bond as well. And if your a day dreamer who has been alone all their life, you might start to wonder if the feeling/bond you have with them is what having a sibling or significant other is like.

john tv

Yeah, the Han suddenly taking interest in Chewie's weapon thing was dumb. Also disappointing was the fact that the two gangs he faced off with in the freighter were essentially human (or close enough). Great opportunity for some classic Star Wars alien designs (preferably not CG), but instead, we just got two dudes who may as well have been from LA. (Okay, Scotland and LA. But still.)

The Imperials *could've* come out of speed closer to Hoth but they *didn't*. The Rebels come out close to the Imperial Fleet but their plan doesn't require coming out on top of the Imperial fleet. They even come out of it way too early. In JJ-verse, they wouldn't waited out of range for word to come from the moon that the shield was down. Hell, in JJ verse there is no concept of "out of range".

Actually this made me go back and read the quotes from Empire and Han's trick in TFA is pretty much supported entirely on the Hoth Assault in Empire.

In Empire they came out of lightspeed too close to the planet which alerts the Rebels and allows them to activate their shield which in turn requires the Empire to do a ground assault to take down that generator. The Rebels, having much more limited resources than the The First Order. clearly only have a generator with a localized effect and can't' run it continuously. The shield around the Starkiller is on all the time and comprehensive. So Han's Hyperspace maneuver actually makes sense and does seem like a latch ditch effort.

Branduil

People are also ignoring all the times Rey fails in the movie, like turning off the wrong fuses, her poison gas plan being immediately foiled by Han, her forgetting to turn off the safety on her blaster, her being owned by Kylo Ren in their first encounter, and her being concussed by Kylo in their second encounter, etc. She also obviously has some arrogance which I expect will be key in future films.

Jarmel

Banned

Her arc is fine.

I still feel her arc is too much and too fast in this film especially in contrast with the OT. I guess that's what to be expected nowadays in that you can't have your protagonist only do cool shit in third film.

JTripper

I like how Finn had the only real reaction to seeing 5 planets destroyed. He was literally about to ditch everyone but then saw that and realized "oh fuck I gotta help these guys out"

some people tried to clap at the end of the movie but quickly stopped when no one else did, other than that nobody clapped. It wasn't a premiere showing even. Also might be different since I am in Australia.

Fury Sense

Just watched it. Was really disappointed. I went in completely spoiler free, without having watched any of the trailers and avoided all discussion. All I knew was that there was a round droid and that Mark Hamill had lost weight. The movie wasn't horrible, but it fell far short of what I had hoped and imagined.

- just a copy of the original
- riddled with are stupid snarky jokes that we millennials are supposed to love
- everyone leveled up without any grinding
- han's death seemed out of character

Overall, it felt like they didn't take it seriously.

I appreciated some of the more subtle references and humor, but can't really remember exactly what they were. Poe's kill streak in the X-Wing at the rescue was awesome though.

edit: they clapped at the end in my theater too

I still feel her arc is too much and too fast in this film especially in contrast with the OT. I guess that's what to be expected nowadays in that you can't have your protagonist only do cool shit in third film.

This. Calling it an "arc" is giving the storyline too much credit.

I like how Finn had the only real reaction to seeing 5 planets destroyed. He was literally about to ditch everyone but then saw that and realized "oh fuck I gotta help these guys out"

I'm surprised Leia didn't have an obiwan moment for the planets but did for han. I guess twice would have been weird.

So blowing up the Death Star in a starfighter wasn't cool shit?

pigeon

Banned
Wait what? Harry is fairly typical for most of the books.

I mean...he's a fairly typical kid who turns out to have always been a secret wizard, wildly more powerful than his Muggle peers, chosen since birth to be the true hero who will save the world, who's naturally gifted at playing the only important role on the dumbest sport ever invented. Also he's wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice and gets given incredibly powerful, literally unique artifacts by secret benefactors. None of this is ever earned even a little bit. And this is all before the romance plotlines!

Like, what exactly does Mary Sue mean to you if Harry Potter isn't one?

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, the Han suddenly taking interest in Chewie's weapon thing was dumb. Also disappointing was the fact that the two gangs he faced off with in the freighter were essentially human (or close enough). Great opportunity for some classic Star Wars alien designs (preferably not CG), but instead, we just got two dudes who may as well have been from LA. (Okay, Scotland and LA. But still.)

The freighter is probably the low point of the film.

meanspartan

Just watched it. Was really disappointed. I went in completely spoiler free, without having watched any of the trailers and avoided all discussion. All I knew was that there was a round droid and that Mark Hamill had lost weight. The movie wasn't horrible, but it fell far short of what I had hoped and imagined.

I appreciated some of the more subtle references and humor, but can't really remember exactly what they were. Poe's kill streak in the X-Wing at the rescue was awesome though.

You're allowed to not like it of course, but that is just an absurd statement.

AAAAAAAAAaaaaand DONE.

Whoof.

Just put my last episode of Full of Sith to bed. Had to record/produce it. Just over 2 hours long (which is our longest episode ever)

Fed.nl got a shoutout for his Kenobi catches, too.

Also - I heard Max Landis said something stupid on twitter and people began to realize they probably shouldn't be following him anymore. It happens to most people who follow Max Landis for longer than five minutes, I believe.

I don't even know what points 2 and 4 are trying to say here no offense. What exactly is a millennial joke? How is dying out of character for any character?

Points 1 and 3 are fair enough. I personally don't mind the symmetry in story line. I think it was exactly what Star Wars needed, and the personalities of the new main 4 are different enough that the storyline can now go anywhere over the next two films.

meanspartan

What? No. You don't have to clap during a movie. whats the point? You can enjoy a movie without clapping at a movie, which cannot clap back. So it's more stupid.

Yes but this is Star Wars, and some indication of joy is part of the experience. Theater I was in cheered at the start, and then clapped at the end.

Having no reaction just feels....I dunno.

I do think it can get out of hand of course, I'm glad everyone didn't start cheering when Han came on.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I mean...he's a fairly typical kid who turns out to have always been a secret wizard, wildly more powerful than his Muggle peers, chosen since birth to be the true hero who will save the world, who's naturally gifted at playing the only important role on the dumbest sport ever invented. Also he's wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice and gets given incredibly powerful, literally unique artifacts by secret benefactors. None of this is ever earned even a little bit. And this is all before the romance plotlines!

Like, what exactly does Mary Sue mean to you if Harry Potter isn't one?

Well, you know except for the fact that Harry is a loser and a pretty horrid student at everything except Defense Against the Dark Arts and Quidditch. Oh, and the fact that he only ever wins through either sheer luck or through the help of Hermione or someone else smarter or more powerful than he is.

JTripper

What? No. You don't have to clap during a movie. whats the point? You can enjoy a movie without clapping at a movie, which cannot clap back. So it's more stupid.

I enjoyed the clapping and cheering. If it were a theater with a few people in it, it would be dumb for sure, but it was full, and the clapping made it seem like we were all celebrating seeing these characters again and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom